Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    If you have a Galaxy S7 and you have noticed severe battery drain and overheating in the past few days. Uninstall all the GearVR and SamsungVR apps. I had to do all my uninstalls with ES Explorer. I uninstalled and rebooted and the phone is running cool and low power drain again.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Nexus question time! My attention has been brought to a 6P that is behaving strangely with type C chargers. The issue has been narrowed down to the phone itself, since it won't charge off the brick it came with, and only gets "charging" on the brick my 5X came with. My phone gets "charging rapidly" on both bricks, and the 6P can still charge off a regular brick with an A to C adapter cable.

Is this likely to be a software/firmware problem and thus theoretically easily fixable, or is it gonna be hardware based and thus much more of a hassle?

It will still be under warranty, I'd return it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Nexus question time! My attention has been brought to a 6P that is behaving strangely with type C chargers. The issue has been narrowed down to the phone itself, since it won't charge off the brick it came with, and only gets "charging" on the brick my 5X came with. My phone gets "charging rapidly" on both bricks, and the 6P can still charge off a regular brick with an A to C adapter cable.

Is this likely to be a software/firmware problem and thus theoretically easily fixable, or is it gonna be hardware based and thus much more of a hassle?

Will pass that on to the phone's owner. Any particular insight as to the issue, or just a general it's easier to go that route if you still have warranty?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

Will pass that on to the phone's owner. Any particular insight as to the issue, or just a general it's easier to go that route if you still have warranty?

When it comes to phones that charge/don't charge I will always just say return it while still under warranty. It's less likely to be software, and it's an early sign of a hardware problem with the only way to charge/plug in the phone, and if that problem continues and gets worse once the warranty is up you're kind of screwed.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    If you have a Galaxy S7 and you have noticed severe battery drain and overheating in the past few days. Uninstall all the GearVR and SamsungVR apps. I had to do all my uninstalls with ES Explorer. I uninstalled and rebooted and the phone is running cool and low power drain again.

My coworker has been experiencing this badly this week. The phone will discharge from full in about a half hour even when the phone was charging. She doesn't have GearVR or SamsungVR installed but she does have Oculus installed. Oculus did just update so maybe that might have been it? Her phone was refusing to connected to our WiFi network, but relogging in seems to have fixed that too. I'm going to unplug it from the charger and see what the battery percentage is in half an hour.

Edit: belated update: Phone seems to be back to normal. Whether it was a WiFi or the Oculus app I don't know, but I have the feeling it was the WiFi trying incessantly the connect and not being able to.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Picked up a new phone for the hell of it. The Posh Mobile Micro X S240. I call it the "HTC Where's My Glasses?"
    PBirXFc.jpg

It's tiny. 2.4" screen. This screenshot below has not been cropped in any way. I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than the most basic of texting and phone calls.

l9hSkbk.png

The thing is, I don't really know why I got it. My current phones earpiece isn't working, so I have to use the speakerphone when I get calls. Only, in the year I've had it, I've only made 2 hours and 17 minutes of phone calls, and an hour and a half of that was all at once. Guess I just wanted something new to play with.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    More about the phone.

Antutu of 9850.

FT2Q9uT.jpg

No notification light (a must in my book), and the notification bar doesn't show the icons for notifications you have. So I basically miss texts and emails a lot. Had to install Nova launcher and TeslaUnread to get the iOS-ish number bubble on the icons.

Only two points of multitouch. And only if they are not on the same horizontal axis.

And this is way more of a review than you all care about and more than I should have done.

On a scale of 1 to 2.4, I give it an enthusiastic meh.

Edit: Some (a lot of) dead pixels showed up to the party.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Does it have a MicroSD slot? Might make a nice little throwaround MP3 player.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, up to 32GB. And the Bluetooth is pretty good*. Haven't tested GPS but maybe it'll make a nice run tracker/music player.

*depending on your own personal feelings on A2DP Bluetooth.

Edit: Oh shit, this thing has a menu key?

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    those super cheap phones fascinate me because there is a giant chunk of the world's population that use phones like that. Places where even $100 US for a phone is out of reach for a great many people. Seeing what the experience is on those types of phones is super interesting.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    those super cheap phones fascinate me because there is a giant chunk of the world's population that use phones like that. Places where even $100 US for a phone is out of reach for a great many people. Seeing what the experience is on those types of phones is super interesting.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. I use a $50 phone not because higher end phones are "out of my reach", but because I don't see the purpose in spending fourteen times the price for something that is nowhere near fourteen times the product. I'm assuming I'm not alone in that respect.

When a quadcore device with a 4.5" screen, gig of RAM and 8GB of storage can handle 99% of your intended usage I think the main reason most people overspend on phones is less utility and more vanity.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options

That's a pretty ignorant statement. I use a $50 phone not because higher end phones are "out of my reach", but because I don't see the purpose in spending fourteen times the price for something that is nowhere near fourteen times the product. I'm assuming I'm not alone in that respect.

When a quadcore device with a 4.5" screen, gig of RAM and 8GB of storage can handle 99% of your intended usage I think the main reason most people overspend on phones is less utility and more vanity.

whoa, calm down. I was only pointing out that there is a good part of the world where it is a straight up fact that those types of phones are the norm, not that you're a bad person for feeling that that's also enough phone for you.

Like, I didn't even mention any specific people. So ya, calm down maybe?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Facebook on my Galaxy S6 is behaving strangely. It's bugging me with notifications and pokes but I check Facebook notifications every day. Today that number has changed from 17 notifications to 19. What am I not doing that these are piling up?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The entirety of the world is based on vanity.

That being said, when it comes to phones, people do get hung up on their must haves. Gotta have the best camera or gotta have 4GB RAM. They don't stop to think if the can get mostly the same for a fraction of the price.

And then I have to explain why I pay $20 for service on my phone AND tablet, and my wife is stuck paying $100 for her phone service.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    They don't stop to think if the can get mostly the same for a fraction of the price.

And, yet, I still think I'd prefer the experience of a Pixel over a Oneplus 3.

• Options
    I'm sure I'd prefer the experience of a Ferrari, but my Grom gets me to work all the same.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    It's probably unwarrranted, because Android builds seem relatively stable now; but one of the big selling points on Nexus/Pixel is the fact that there is negligible lag between Android releasing any OS updates and them being pushed to the phone. With something like the OP3, that's much less defined.

• Options
    yea, everyone has the things they must have. Each is valid for that person, though the reasons may be more superfluous for some than others. And different people place different emphasis on different things.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

I kind of felt the same way about my Cubot. In some places this thing would be a flashy phone, as it knocks on the door of that $100US threshold. I've seen the occasional fascinating thing written about the Chinese phone "scene", if you will, especially the budget phones that come out of it, so it's been interesting actually now having one as a daily driver and comparing it to typical flagships and the like.

It certainly proves that a cheap phone can impress you just as much in its own way as a fancy flagship phone can in its own, very different way.

It also gets more attention than any flagship! People have been pretty curious about it, which is kind of awesome.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Facebook on my Galaxy S6 is behaving strangely. It's bugging me with notifications and pokes but I check Facebook notifications every day. Today that number has changed from 17 notifications to 19. What am I not doing that these are piling up?

It's been doing that on my Note 7, too. It seems that it's adding notifications up that you receive, but if you check them somewhere else (computer maybe), it doesn't clear them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I really hope the rumor of ~$650 Pixels is false. Cause I'm not sure I could justify it to myself in the short term.

I'm running a Nexus 4 and the only thing stopping me from upgrading to Pixel the moment they're open for preorder is price. 650 would probably be too steep for me.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I really hope the rumor of ~$650 Pixels is false. Cause I'm not sure I could justify it to myself in the short term.

I'm running a Nexus 4 and the only thing stopping me from upgrading to Pixel the moment they're open for preorder is price. 650 would probably be too steep for me.

$650 for a 5.5 screen is a flat out deal-breaker for me which sucks since it's about time I replace my Note 4.

• Options
    Welp. Today's the moment of truth. Let's see where I'll be looking for my next phone.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Couple hours to go. I'm looking to upgrade my N5. I'm also interested in the price of the Pixels. I loved that this N5 was $400 (CDN) new.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Couple hours to go. I'm looking to upgrade my N5. I'm also interested in the price of the Pixels. I loved that this N5 was $400 (CDN) new.

well, you're probably screwed because the dollar was at 95 cents when the N5 was new. It is...much lower now. Just a reality we have to face up here.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

well, you're probably screwed because the dollar was at 95 cents when the N5 was new. It is...much lower now. Just a reality we have to face up here.

Yes of course I'm expecting to take it in the posterior on that front. I always am when it comes to exchange rates. :)

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    im hoping for something in the G4 plus range

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'll be watching the new release with interest to decide if I should attempt to find myself a Nexus 6P or the new Pixel XL. I'm leaning towards the 6P so far for the stereo front facing speakers. Sadly it looks like the Nexus website barely has any stock anymore and not a single carrier in Canada that I've talked to has ever had anything but a dark grey 32gb version. I was hoping to find a 64gb "frost".

It's worth noting that I have an awesome plan I don't want to lose and Rogers is insisting on charging me a premium for the phone to let me keep it. (6gigs data, 250minutes, early evenings/weekends, visual voicemail etc for $85. It's the only one that fits my usage perfectly)

Varinn on
  • Options
    There's always the secondary market. Also, have you checked Amazon or Newegg?

• Options
    Yea your odds of finding the 6P brand new from Google's web store definitely are not going to go up after today. Snap one up as soon as you can.

• Options
    The Silicon Valley skit at the start was hilarious in a "I love this but it is so dumb/useless" way.

• Options
    Canada getting lots of airtime in these examples lol

• Options
    it's perfect because most Americans know nothing about Canada so it really is informative for them.

• Options
    to be honest I'm not buying a Pixel, so my real interest won't happen today. I want to know what, if any, of the new software features that are in the Pixel will make their way to nexus phones. Like we know 7.1 will come to the Nexus line for sure, but what things will be Pixel exclusive? that's the more interesting part to me.

• Options
    "We're utilizing Google Cloud so you never run out of room."
    quzp0wh1zv0h.png

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    This thing they are showing. this device. . .

I wants it.

My precious.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Pixel is exclusive to Verizon for carriers, but available unlocked from the google store.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Ah damnit. $650 for Pixel. No word on the price for XL. I'm assuming a $50-$100 premium.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    $850 canadian at current exchange rates. Ho boy. I've never spent that much on a phone before.

The 3.5mm jack job at Apple was pretty good.

• Options
    DUDE I DON'T CARE ABOUT VR. TAKE IT OUT AND CHARGE ME A SANE PRICE.

This discussion has been closed.