Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    For whatever it's worth, woot.com has unlocked, refurbed versions of the Samsung Notes currently on sale. (e.g. Note 5 for $350)

I'd be lying if I didn't consider one for a minute, as my new "tablet" for at home.

Based on my diatribe earlier this week, I'm going to start casually checking Swappa, Gazelle, and Ebay for some moderately or cheap priced 5X's as possible replacements until I decide what to do for a new-new phone. Any other secondary market sites that would be worth my time?

if you're just looking for something to get you by for a month or two look at some cheap android phones on amazon. BLU makes approximately 12 billion different phones. They won't wow you over, but they might do the job for you until you decide.

I'm still not 100% sold on the HTC Nexus coming this year, so it's another way for me to confuse and frustrate myself over whether I want to wait another generation.
    Minor aside: it doesn't look like this generation will have Qi charging. Which, while not a game ender by itself, is less than ideal.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I thought losing QI would be a big deal to me when I went form the N5 to the 6P but if I'm being honest with myself it's been a non issue and phones charge so much faster through USB-C anyway that.... it just doesn't matter. I honestly wouldn't even make it part of my buying decision anymore, and I almost didn't buy the 6P because of it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Type C FTW!!!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    USB C is amazing and I can't wait for it to completely take over the connector world.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The 6P charging times are pretty impressive. Its to the point I'm considering not leaving it plugged in all night, since it goes back to full in less than an hour.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The 6P charging times are pretty impressive. Its to the point I'm considering not leaving it plugged in all night, since it goes back to full in less than an hour.

I actually don't. There isn't a convenient place put the charger near my bed, so I don't have it on the charger overnight since I use it as my alarm clock and it needs to actually be by the bed. the battery only drops 2% overnight thanks to doze, and I plug it in while I'm getting ready for work, and it's always charged up.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm not worried about the replacement, I'm sure Samsung will take care of people to get this out of the news cycle quickly. But the problem is how this is handled is being left up to the carriers. I'm sure Verizon would love to give me some garbage phone as a loaner while this one is replaced.

Fun update on this... Samsung is so far calling this whole thing a withdrawal rather than a recall. I'm not sure about the legal reasons for the semantic bullshit, but I wonder how much it might complicate replacing things.

So far, best buy is offering the gs7 or edge 7 as a replacement, which isn't exactly great. Everyone else is :rotate:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Will type c prevent me from somehow aways having my charging port never want to keep cables in?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Note 7 was supposed to launch in the UK today, if I remember right. So it was doubly embarrassing for Samsung here. These things do happen, though, and Samsung seems to be doing the best it can to fix it. For it to happen this close to the iPhone 7 reveal, though... that's got to sting. My mum had expressed vague interest in one due to the stylus (she has a separate stylus for her phone as she finds it really difficult without one) but isn't keen on a huge form factor.

- - - - -

So over two weeks ago I put in a warranty repair request with LG for my G4. I've been snowed under with stuff since and have been living on a combination of my iPhone 4S as my actual telephone & camera, and the G4 effectively as a "tablet" at home, working around what doesn't work on it (which is mainly, the camera and phone calls). I've heard nothing from LG in this time, and I finally got to checking the status of my repair request - and their support site is telling me the receipt number & email address combination is incorrect. I printed off a hard copy of their receipt page when I made the request so it damn well isn't incorrect (I triple-checked for typos etc).

I'm so bloody sick of LG at this point that I'm considering just giving the whole thing up for lost. Not sure I've got the wherewithall to carry on trying to get them to acknowledge me. My friend who had the boot-loop bricking problem with his G4, though, has now got his back from LG... (he reckons I should have made an account with them rather than going the "request a repair without an account" route that I did.)

So, given that the 4S, despite being a backup of sorts, simply cannot function as an all-in-one smartphone any more, now I'm eyeing up cheap phones on Amazon. Wileyfox (which I seem to recall getting good write-ups for mid-range phones, and are UK-based), BLU, THL, UHANS, the myriad Chinese models, those sorts of things... until such time that I may or may not think about getting a higher-end phone again. Or clenching my teeth and trying LG again... which I'll probably do tomorrow or something...

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Note 7 was supposed to launch in the UK today, if I remember right. So it was doubly embarrassing for Samsung here. These things do happen, though, and Samsung seems to be doing the best it can to fix it. For it to happen this close to the iPhone 7 reveal, though... that's got to sting. My mum had expressed vague interest in one due to the stylus (she has a separate stylus for her phone as she finds it really difficult without one) but isn't keen on a huge form factor.

- - - - -

So over two weeks ago I put in a warranty repair request with LG for my G4. I've been snowed under with stuff since and have been living on a combination of my iPhone 4S as my actual telephone & camera, and the G4 effectively as a "tablet" at home, working around what doesn't work on it (which is mainly, the camera and phone calls). I've heard nothing from LG in this time, and I finally got to checking the status of my repair request - and their support site is telling me the receipt number & email address combination is incorrect. I printed off a hard copy of their receipt page when I made the request so it damn well isn't incorrect (I triple-checked for typos etc).

I'm so bloody sick of LG at this point that I'm considering just giving the whole thing up for lost. Not sure I've got the wherewithall to carry on trying to get them to acknowledge me. My friend who had the boot-loop bricking problem with his G4, though, has now got his back from LG... (he reckons I should have made an account with them rather than going the "request a repair without an account" route that I did.)

So, given that the 4S, despite being a backup of sorts, simply cannot function as an all-in-one smartphone any more, now I'm eyeing up cheap phones on Amazon. Wileyfox (which I seem to recall getting good write-ups for mid-range phones, and are UK-based), BLU, THL, UHANS, the myriad Chinese models, those sorts of things... until such time that I may or may not think about getting a higher-end phone again. Or clenching my teeth and trying LG again... which I'll probably do tomorrow or something...

Worrying that the Note 7 in the Uk some stockists are listing October 21st as the revised release date.

Ive have 1 LG phone in the past and I have come up with the same troubles with customer service you have had.

If im honest with Android phones today, Mid range are so much better value for money and perform nearly as well as the high end stuff I would always look at this range first just to see how much you can save.

• Options
    It's just annoying when my friend seems to have had a pretty good customer service experience from LG.

As for the Note 7, there's no point in Samsung trying to relaunch it in the remainder of September, they'll get drowned out by the Apple media blitz. Better to wait for that to die down a bit first.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    That's crazy - I had to do a repair on my Nexus 5X through LG and it went just fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    It's just annoying when my friend seems to have had a pretty good customer service experience from LG.

As for the Note 7, there's no point in Samsung trying to relaunch it in the remainder of September, they'll get drowned out by the Apple media blitz. Better to wait for that to die down a bit first.

I agree, I also had a friend who had a really good experience with LG it's a real crapshoot on how they deal with customer service.

I understand why late October is the new UK launch date however, people have pre-ordered this device will they still be paying for a full contract for nearly 2 months with no device? I mean its not like the US where people already have the device and are exchanging for a new handset within 2 weeks. You would think that Samsung would do the same for the UK pre-orders and then have a general release in October?

It feels like dedicated people who have pre-ordered and paid a lot of money in the UK are being screwed over.

• Options
    I could see a two-month credit being issued to those customers at Samsung's expense. They need to announce it soon, though. That does seem very unfair on people who pre-ordered in good faith.

• Options
    I thought losing QI would be a big deal to me when I went form the N5 to the 6P but if I'm being honest with myself it's been a non issue and phones charge so much faster through USB-C anyway that.... it just doesn't matter. I honestly wouldn't even make it part of my buying decision anymore, and I almost didn't buy the 6P because of it.

Update: for $50, the Blu R1 appears to be a surprisingly capable phone. I still want to check some reviews, but I may end up grabbing this as the perpetual backup for our household.

I was also going to look into the Robin before I realized its price.

• Options
    My research has led me to Cubot phones. As with someone like BLU there's a zillion models, but right now I'm eyeing up either a Rainbow or an S600. The S600 definitely looks more capable but it's a little more expensive (or rather, slightly less cheap!), and it's then whether to spend the extra on what I'd intend to be a stopgap-slash-spare phone. Cubots definitely seem worth a look if you're in the market for a budget phone and they're on sale in your region.

• Options

Update: for $50, the Blu R1 appears to be a surprisingly capable phone. I still want to check some reviews, but I may end up grabbing this as the perpetual backup for our household.

we haven't really talked much about the Robin here, but I think it's a really great phone for it's price. I'd really love to try one.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Not really phone related - I got a nice Sony XD93 TV with Android TV. So far it is really nice, especially with the option to install applications from the Google Play Store. What I am still looking for is a decent AirPlay receiver app. Kodi in its current incarnation can only stream music and the few apps on the play store have very mixed reviews. Do you have any recommendations?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

we haven't really talked much about the Robin here, but I think it's a really great phone for it's price. I'd really love to try one.
    Isn't that phone heavily cloud dependant?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

From what little I've read, yes. I believe it stores at least parts of little-used apps on the cloud to free up space on the handset. That being said, the handset itself has 32GB of storage, so I'm not sure how much the cloud portion affects the "average" user.

• Options

From what little I've read, yes. I believe it stores at least parts of little-used apps on the cloud to free up space on the handset. That being said, the handset itself has 32GB of storage, so I'm not sure how much the cloud portion affects the "average" user.

it only offloads things to the nextbit cloud if you fill up your 32GB of storage, it won't touch it if you don't use the storage. It really is an interesting concept and I want to try it. though I'm 100% convinced that the endgame for these guys (the guys behind Nextbit used to work at HTC) is to be bought by someone. The tech looks too good to not be bought by someone like LG or Samsung or maybe even Google.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Everything I've read says the $60 version (assuming you're talking about the Amazon one) of the Blu R1 with 2GB of RAM is the one to get. It's a no-brainer upgrade for just $10 based on my other Android experiences.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Well, shit.

Wife's G4 freezes at LG logo screen.
    Hard reboot did nothing. I clicked Yes, but it just sat there for several minutes. Is that normal?

What's the best course? Have it through Verizon, only been a year, maybe not even?

• Options
    That's not normal. Getting stuck in a boot loop, effectively bricking the phone, is a known issue and the same one my friend (who got good customer service) had with his. Its a warranty repair - if it's still under warranty, of course. They might well still do it anyway even if it's not.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sorry, meant when I did the factory reset, is it normal to sit on that screen or should it be doing something else.

So I should try LG first? Wife is impatient so may try Verizon, we'll see how that goes.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Hello Android fans,

I currently have an original model nexus 6.

I've held off on upgrading to the 6P, but has there been any news on when the new nexus phones are going to make an appearance?

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    October is the latest theory.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    And supposedly made by HTC, in a 5 and 5.5 inch format.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Oh, also, maybe not going to be called Nexus anymore. New moniker is rumoured to be "Pixel".

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Sorry, meant when I did the factory reset, is it normal to sit on that screen or should it be doing something else.

So I should try LG first? Wife is impatient so may try Verizon, we'll see how that goes.

It's been a while since I did a factory reset but it should at some point move on from it, I think. I remember the factory reset on the G4 being a pretty fast process.

If the phone came from Verizon I'd try them first. (My issue partially stems from buying the phone unlocked, not getting it from my carrier, so I can't just call them up which would definitely have been easier.)

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I've run into a really annoying bug on my table - Chrome will only play some videos for 4s. I can sometimes touch the progress bar and get it to play for another 4 seconds, but I don't consider that a very viable workaround. Chrome us up to date, I've tried clearing cache and cookies, and tried viewing in incognito mode to no avail.

Most videos have this issue, basically every video (I think I was able to watch one) linked via embedded tweet doesn't work, flash video (maybe its HTML5), generally doesn't work, YouTube however does.

These videos will work on my phone though.

I have no idea what's causing this but its pretty recent. Anybody else run into this?

New development: Uninstalling Chrome's updates allows me to watch video in Chrome, reinstalling the updates results in a Chrome where I cant play videos.

Its super weird, my phone is running the same version of Chrome (and Android, albeit the Shield Tablet is running a less modified version than my Note is).

At least I have a workaround for now.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Are there any halfway decent tablets out there with both a USB-C connector and an SD Card slot? I'm looking to replace my old iPad 4 with an Android. From what I see, Samsung hasn't gone to Type-C yet and the Pixel has a laughable non-expandable 64gb storage at max (get the fuck out of here).

My HTC10 converted me on USB-C superfast. That shit charges quick. Being able to HDMI out easily will be another bonus.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Saw a rumor of a possible refresh of the nexus 7 in terms of spec level

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Looks like it might be a Huawei device.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    That's probably the closest you'll get, @vagrant_winds . USB-C is still in its infancy so it'll take some time for it to be fully adopted.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need/want more than 64GB?

• Options
    Fuck sakes. A phone can't fail this hard at making and receiving fucking phone calls as this. It just needs to make it another 6 weeks.

• Options
    Fuck sakes. A phone can't fail this hard at making and receiving fucking phone calls as this. It just needs to make it another 6 weeks.

:bro:

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    That's probably the closest you'll get, @vagrant_winds . USB-C is still in its infancy so it'll take some time for it to be fully adopted.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need/want more than 64GB?

Deployments. They tend to have limited and shit internet so you have to bring the majority of your entertainment with you.

Looks like the upcoming ASUS Zen Pad 3 8.0 might be what I'm looking for. Or I could just keep waiting and see what comes out. Or if Google drops a Comebook Tablet sometime soon with them now using Android apps...

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    If you're wanting a device with expandable storage, you won't be getting it from Google.

This discussion has been closed.