Options

[Arkham Knight] Asylum and City Remasters are out for PS4+Xbone

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hopefully I word this so I don't offend or tick you off. :) But I've noticed that your critique also leans towards the more advanced. Probably enough that the average shmo doesn't see any issue with things.

To put it another way, you're the guy who tastes a beer and says the hops were over roasted and the head is particularly weak. While everybody else is "*BURRRRP* Tastes good to me!".

Still, totally important to have that viewpoint for comparison anyways. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The final fight in Catwoman's Revenge is fine once you realize you're supposed to do it as fast as possible, no fancy special combo moves.

I mostly liked the Batmobile, once I got some practice with it. Driving and racing was fun, anti-tank combat was fun. Cobra battles were not fun. Rocksteady apparently felt obliged to include some analogue for predator rooms, but predator gameplay is all about flexibility. Cobra battles have almost no flexibility, and are too long and slow to boot.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Sure. But I'm not trying to tell people not to enjoy their beer! If they like overroasted hops with a weak head, more power to them.
    I'm just saying, it is. It's a fact. How you react to that fact really is up to you.

Also I really doubt that the average shmo plays the game like you need to in this fight. Most players probably just build up to a combo and use a takedown. That is a terrible thing to do in this fight. Instead you have to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdzO7rw3tNE

Otherwise you are leaving it up to luck.

But hey, guys, if you wanna judge for yourselves, knock yourselves out. I'm just trying to warn you guys not to waste your money. but maybe that sounds like fun to you. Who knows.
    If you hate it, don't say I didn't warn you though! I tried!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I had absolutely no difficulty playing The Force Unleashed. I was extremely good at it.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/7295329/#Comment_7295329

My ability to play that game and the amount of fun I had while playing are completely unrelated to my opinion of how balanced it is.

I played that game so much it gave up, glitched out, and gave me infinite health and force in a vain attempt at hoping I'll get bored and go away and stop hurting it oh god please. I played it for hundreds of hours and had a ball every minute.

The only difference between you and I is that I do not consider my personal experience to be relevant to game balance, and you do. This makes it a little difficult to express my point because you keep conflating these two very different ideas and treating them as the same thing when they are not.

I see that Marikir is able to write words about you, great?

In my first post I say the game was mindless fun. In my second post I make no mention of it being fun or not. I did not find it to be unbalanced in any fashion, nor did I find it to be a "hot mess." If I thought "the game was balanced because I had fun" I would have stated that in my second post to combine the two into one continuous thought.

Taking us back to the statement I replied to at first:
    It's worse than The Force Unleashed. On the highest difficulty. Prepatch.

In saying I beat the game on its highest difficulty, within a week of its launch... I am explicitly framing my playtime as being prior to whatever patch you're talking about. During which time, two things happened:

1) I had fun.

2) In playing the game on said difficulty, I found the experience to to be unremarkable.

Since I don't think this conversation can be constructive anymore, and it's still just as OT as it was before, I'm going to drop it here.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I think that would be best. It clearly was an example that didn't work for you, and you are focusing on it way too much when it really isn't important to the overall point. Plus you are missing the point to boot. That was a reaction to you claiming I didn't enjoy the game and couldn't work out how to play it, and that is why I hold the opinion I do, when my point is I fucking loved the game, and the reasons I think it is unbalanced has nothing to do with how much I loved it.

I already said I shouldn't have used the word "worse" to describe it, for example, but you don't seem to have noticed that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    But hey, guys, if you wanna judge for yourselves, knock yourselves out. I'm just trying to warn you guys not to waste your money. but maybe that sounds like fun to you. Who knows.
    If you hate it, don't say I didn't warn you though! I tried!

I loved it. Tons of funny lines, which are the real reason to get the Gotham City Stories missions. But then again I bought the season pass when it went on sale, so maybe I wouldn't be sanguine if I'd had to pay extra money for it.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It does have some good lines. I don't play games for story, lore, etc though. That's all fluff to me.
    It does have a pretty good stealth map, but unfortunately her stealth has had no changes since AC.

The robin DLC has a much better stealth map. I really like that one.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I played the Catwoman short this morning (no extra money spent since I bought the season pass when I preordered the game). Holy shit is @Morninglord ever right. You can't reliably jump dodge. You can't reliably use a takedown. And you (or I, at least) can't always see the counter icon because other elements of the fight use an almost identical color. I'm not going to claim I never die in these games, but it's been a long time since I repeated the same fight seven times.

It's a shame, too. The opening bit was great, and until the last phase the second bit was alright, too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    o ye btw

pred char select is out

its great

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    As a person who habitually restarted challenge rooms in Arkham Origins if I lost a combo, I actually liked that last Catwoman fight. I mean, maybe I played the wrong DLC...but I thought it was pretty fun (also, contrary to Morninglord's suggestion, I found takedowns to be pretty useful in keeping the combo going thanks to those tasty, tasty invincibility frames).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    As a person who habitually restarted challenge rooms in Arkham Origins if I lost a combo, I actually liked that last Catwoman fight. I mean, maybe I played the wrong DLC...but I thought it was pretty fun (also, contrary to Morninglord's suggestion, I found takedowns to be pretty useful in keeping the combo going thanks to those tasty, tasty invincibility frames).

"Invincibility frames" which don't work on the environmental obstacles.
    That is not a suggestion, it is a fact. You take damage from the floor during takedowns. They take too much time and you can't control the length of the animation or how far she'll travel during it.
    Using them leaves your fate up to luck.
    You can beat it using them. But it's not control. It's luck.

Morninglord on
  • Options

Were you playing Catwoman's Revenge? Because I found that if I used a takedown I was still vulnerable to
    both the laser beams and the electric floor tiles.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Were you playing Catwoman's Revenge? Because I found that if I used a takedown I was still vulnerable to

Yeah, that's the one I jumped to (I haven't finished the main story yet...but I had to see what the hubbub was about regarding the DLC (aside from being pretty short)).

As for the second part, I want to rope Morninglord's quote in:

Which don't work on the environmental obstacles.
    That is not a suggestion, it is a fact. They take too much time and you can't control the length of the animation or how far she'll travel during it.

Here's the thing, the takedowns definitely take quite a bit of time (granted, no more than punching the target the requisite three times to KO them), but I absolutely disagree with your assessment that they don't provide immunity from environmental hazards.
    They absolutely grant invincibility frames versus the lasers. During each of the three takedowns I could perform, I had beams passing through Catwoman. As for the floors, I can't comment on that, since I didn't let the floors pass the outer rim of the grid (due in part because I kept my combo up by cheesing invincibility frames).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    jclast wrote: »

Yeah, that's the one I jumped to (I haven't finished the main story yet...but I had to see what the hubbub was about regarding the DLC (aside from being pretty short)).

As for the second part, I want to rope Morninglord's quote in:

Which don't work on the environmental obstacles.
    That is not a suggestion, it is a fact. They take too much time and you can't control the length of the animation or how far she'll travel during it.

Here's the thing, the takedowns definitely take quite a bit of time (granted, no more than punching the target the requisite three times to KO them), but I absolutely disagree with your assessment that they don't provide immunity from environmental hazards.
    They absolutely grant invincibility frames versus the lasers. During each of the three takedowns I could perform, I had beams passing through Catwoman. As for the floors, I can't comment on that, since I didn't let the floors pass the outer rim of the grid (due in part because I kept my combo up by cheesing invincibility frames).

Yep, I'm with Jclast here. I had both hit me during takedowns. I'm glad they worked for you. I wish they had for me.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PC here.
    And during each of the takedowns I was holding my breath because I watched the lasers getting closer to me...but exhaled in great relief when they harmlessly passed through.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm on PC too. Why am I not surprised at our different experiences.
    When they hit you the screen flashes really brightly. It's impossible to miss it, so I definitely saw it during a takedown cos, you know, zap.
    As opposed to the challenge room where they did pass straight through during takedowns.

If it works then itd be an okay strategy, but punching will take them all out faster than a takedown cos of the damage boost from freeflow focus mk 2. I beat it immediately after I chose to do that strategy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I'm on PC too. Why am I not surprised at our different experiences.
    When they hit you the screen flashes really brightly. It's impossible to miss it, so I definitely saw it during a takedown cos, you know, zap.
    As opposed to the challenge room where they did pass straight through during takedowns.

Which, I suppose, would also fall under the category of "Luck"

Seriously, the game definitely feels like it's barely held together by gossamer and unicorn wishes...

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    For me the lasers didn't do damage during takedowns, but the floor did.

• Options
    Maybe it is somehow platform dependent? I am on PS4 for reference, and I definitely initiated a takedown and took a hit while I was doing it as I came out with no combo.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Did all of the hero and rogue challenge trophies (21 stars with each not-Batman characters) over the weekend. Heroes were fun, rogues really showcased how few options they have. Also, why do some characters not ever face brutes? Hard to animate or something? Because all you do is stun and beat-down which they can all do on normal-sized targets.

Also, taking care of guys with an electric charge.
    Batman / Azrael / Nightwing / Batgirl: Batclaw
    Robin / Red Hood: Zip Kick
    Catwoman / Harley: ???

I don't honestly remember running into any with Harley, but I'm pretty sure I did as Catwoman and couldn't figure out a way to get right of the charge with her.

And having played Catwoman's Revengs and Flip of a Coin, I really wish that Rocksteady had handed more of the Arkham Episodes over the WB Montreal because A Matter of Family is definitely the best of the bunch. Every other one is short (understandable for Harley and Red Hood), and the others have some just plain bad sections (Catwoman's Revenge final encounter, Red Hood campaign sections feel super-disconnected).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The whip trip (L1???) with Catwoman defuses the charged goons, iirc

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Matter of family is excellent all round. I really enjoyed it.
    Nightwing and Robins DLC have really good predator levels though.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Matter of family is excellent all round. I really enjoyed it.
    Nightwing and Robins DLC have really good predator levels though.

I was terrible at the Nightwing one, but I could appreciate it. Robin's was great. And they nailed the banter in Flip of a Coin, too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I dug the Batgirl DLC, after enjoying but being ultimately being disappointed with all the other DLC (though playing as Red Hood sure was fun; I'd like a real campaign as him). I'd totally play a Batgirl game.
    Some of the time sensitive hostage rescues were really spiffy as well. That felt like a very Batman sort of scenario and it's a shame we've not seen it (that I recall) until now.

vamen on
  • Options
    I found that I enjoyed the race tracks more than I thought I would. Particularly the 60s Batmobile and tracks are great.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Red hood is hilarious in the predator rooms.

Completed objectives? Check.

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

Job done lets have lunch

Morninglord on
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    For anyway playing Bat-mang on Steam. If you DID NOT refund your copy of Arkham Knight. You received all previous Arkham games + their DLC. I already had them all except for Blackgate and now I have all the DLC for Batman Origins. Unfortunately this does not apply to Arkham Knight DLC but I'll take free where I can get it.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    man im never going to be able to get that 5 gamerscore for doing all the moves in one combo. I tried it for like 3 hours straight on the recommended map, in all the recommended ways, and just cant do it.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    man im never going to be able to get that 5 gamerscore for doing all the moves in one combo. I tried it for like 3 hours straight on the recommended map, in all the recommended ways, and just cant do it.

My current white whale is 5 perfect criticals on light tanks.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

You don't have to do *all* the moves, but just 15 of them. It just happened in between spamming a lot of flips and stuff.

The only thing I have left to do in the vanilla game is NG+, which I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the story for.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I really should take some time to just dive into cleaning up achievements. I 100%-ed the previous Rocksteady Arkham games. I gave up on Origins cause of the multiplayer challenges, though looking back I kinda bailed on sp challenges too. Hmm.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I've tried multiple times to dig into those riddler campaigns but my mind is just like this is so boring, play something else.

Not a fan of challenge rooms unless they're tied into story/progression and such.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Sadly no giftable copies of old Batmans, which sucks because WB's most devoted customers got the biggest shaft, hurrah!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Oh my god yes I got the brutality 101 achievement. It took me like 300 goes in that challenge map with nightwing, and when I got it I got interrupted on the very next hit, that's how close it was

I know a lot of people didn't have trouble with that achievement, but it's been a personal bane(hehe) of mine since launch, I just could never quite get the hang of it and get it, and didn't want to cheat with the joker way

Yayers

• Options
    Oh my god yes I got the brutality 101 achievement. It took me like 300 goes in that challenge map with nightwing, and when I got it I got interrupted on the very next hit, that's how close it was

I know a lot of people didn't have trouble with that achievement, but it's been a personal bane(hehe) of mine since launch, I just could never quite get the hang of it and get it, and didn't want to cheat with the joker way

Yayers

Awesome - I managed to get the 5 criticals in a row trophy Wednesday as well. And then I started NG+. I've still got to get all of the takedowns.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Finally got around to wrapping up NG+ on this. Started the Catwoman DLC. Is it supposed to be locked on hard or was that just because I played the base game on hard that it was?

The "problem" with the DLC is pretty much the fundamental problem with the entire franchise's: the targeting/positioning system.
    It's exacerbated by the lasers.

But it was basically shock and awe extreme cranked to 9. Took a few times, and a shift in thought, but doable.

And at the end I just used quickwhip to pull them over to me and countered when they got too close, though sometimes her momentum would still edge her into the bad tiles.

Overall it was alright.

edit: wish there were an option to play in Gotham during the day... though it'd defeat the whole Batman thing.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I beat that battle basically by punching as fast as I could and hoping I didnt hit the lasers or floors haha

So after the final pack in december thats it for season pass DLC? Because I swear if I bought the major gameplay ones independently itd work out cheaper than the season pass cost me, man that thing was ridiculously expensive. Basically I paid extra just for the vehicles

Prohass on
  • Options
    I beat that battle basically by punching as fast as I could and hoping I didnt hit the lasers or floors haha

So after the final pack in december thats it for season pass DLC? Because I swear if I bought the major gameplay ones independently itd work out cheaper than the season pass cost me, man that thing was ridiculously expensive. Basically I paid extra just for the vehicles

Catwoman has AoE whip attacks!
    I just kept the fight to the middle and uses those. Got down to 4 and she'd start fighting into the hazards so I did the whip thing and got it.

Yeah, once I finish this I get to trudge through all the challenge stuff... which isn't my cup of tea. I will finish this one's achievements 100% though... but pretty much challenge map achievements are all that's left for me in Asylum and City too... and it's actually not as obnoxious this time since there's more than enough tracks/etc to do them in w/o it being that much of a slog

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Shock and awe extreme was just a timing thing. The floors had a set sequence and happened at a set time. You were never really trapped unless you weren't paying attention, and it didn't have random elements to it. It's not really a good comparison.

Catwoman has AoE whip attacks!
    I just kept the fight to the middle and uses those. Got down to 4 and she'd start fighting into the hazards so I did the whip thing and got it.

This got me killed every single time. I have no idea how you managed to do it because they did NOT do enough damage. It was the first thing I thought of and it was really frustrating that it didn't freaking work. I was so confident it would work I tried it at least four times.

Morninglord on