Options

[SWTOR] Next chapter of KotFE coming March 10: Disavowed

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Dear god treek and my butler droid have merged into some horrible lovecraftian mess:
    dbt9v1ptpy9k.jpg

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is there much insight yet into how best to spend cartel coins under the new system? I have never really spent them on much so I have a decent pile, but it's hard to know what to buy. I'd be tempted to get a couple gold mount boxes and hope for something saleable if nothing else, but I'm not sure if that's the best route.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Wow, they took away all the Lv 15-50 gear-vendors on both the Fleets and the core worlds. The only ones left are the ones selling the class-based newbie gear they put in around the start of the last expansion.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Wow, they took away all the Lv 15-50 gear-vendors on both the Fleets and the core worlds. The only ones left are the ones selling the class-based newbie gear they put in around the start of the last expansion.

Yeah, that stuff had always been a mish-mash of pieces with weird stat combos. When mods for 2 comms came out with 12x XP, the equipment vendors became more expensive but not as good as the mod vendors.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    But there was a lot of cool looking armor in those. Hopefully its been moved somewhere else.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Well the gear vendor I stumbled across in that area selling level...6 or 8...gear I think it was; all of that gear was moddable, so that's an improvement on the old system at least. Never really saw the point of keeping the old starter planet vendor around, given it was just the odd bit of blue quality gear.

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I have to completely redo my mods and such now. :(

I don't think I need 116% accuracy and only have 25% crit chance. My Sniper is raising all sorts of hell though. :hydra:

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Aw, did I read that right? The PC is unvoiced in KotFE?

I read that was just for companion stuff so they could offer more options. I just hit chapter 4 and it's been 100% voiced so far.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Loaded this up after 18 months, Everyone is pantless, companion's gear is only cosmetic, great to be back I guess

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Aw, did I read that right? The PC is unvoiced in KotFE?

I read that was just for companion stuff so they could offer more options. I just hit chapter 4 and it's been 100% voiced so far.

just the alliance missions and "new" alliance companions have the PC using the old kotor dialog (everyone but you talks).

253J736.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I think the pantsless thing isn't a bug, but a sign that companion AI has improved exponentially: they're excited.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    So are PAers still playing this game, and what server/guild?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Roe wrote: »
    So are PAers still playing this game, and what server/guild?
    Cambiata has it covered in the OP:
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Guild information: the server with the most dense PA population at the moment is Jedi Covenant. There are no official PA guilds here, but I am an officer in the active Republic guild <Dominus Nihil> and will invite if asked (sign up at http://www.dominusnihil.com/forums required)

The PA guilds at launch were on Shadowlands, <Rigorous Scholarship> for Republic, <Remarkable Circumference> for Imperial, however these guilds are mostly inactive. Ask in thread for specifics on an invite.

For either Jedi Covenant or Shadowlands server, type /cjoin Penny Arcade to chat with other PA folks (not available to free to play, sadly)
    I'm on Shadowlands (though not in Remarkable Circumference, not sure who's running that now) playing Empire.

• Options
    I have move entirely to Jedi Covenant though I remain largely guildless.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Shadowlands for both my Empire and Republic characters, no guild. My Jedi Sentinel is 65 and just got done the chunk of story before you hit the new main planet.

Oh for those who are still levelling up and have a mess of basic comms, keep saving those, dont buy shit on makeb or yavin maybe a piece here and there but save the basics til you get to the new KOTFE content cause, 200 level gear for basic comms will be available. (basic crystals.. or whatever they are called)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    So, folks who have completed all the KotFE chapters, when you finished, did you feel like there was still compelling reasons to log in or was it 'well fuck it, I'm done until chapter 10'?

I hit chapter 4 before I went to bed last night and that went by crazy fast. I don't want to blow through the rest tonight and then have nothing to do.

• Options
    So, folks who have completed all the KotFE chapters, when you finished, did you feel like there was still compelling reasons to log in or was it 'well fuck it, I'm done until chapter 10'?

I hit chapter 4 before I went to bed last night and that went by crazy fast. I don't want to blow through the rest tonight and then have nothing to do.

Lots of stuff to do after.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

yeah, there's still plenty of stuff to do after in regards to alliance stuff. Then you have flashpoints and the normal MMO fare (but the alliance stuff is a pretty large amount of things to do), as well as recruit more companions.

253J736.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    So is 12x experience done now? I got sidetracked with work and taking trips this summer and never did take advantage of it, despite being subscribed the whole time.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Yes, but they rebalanced the base xp rates to essentially be 6x for class missions and the primary planetary missions.

• Options
    Yes, but they rebalanced the base xp rates to essentially be 6x for class missions and the primary planetary missions.

I can definitely verify this. I was 65 well before I even finished the Shadow of Revan content. As an added bonus, due to level scaling, low-level side missions now give level-appropriate XP no matter what.

Overall I think it's actually a lot better than 12x just for class story missions.

• Options
    not to mention the heroic missions are now soloable and give ridiculous amounts of xp. Also, if you run a tactical flashpoint that can be another big boost of xp.

253J736.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I have to say, they've kinda butchered the original game

It's just running from point to point and nothing really makes any sense

Doesn't really matter to me since I've played 1-50 before, but for new players who don't boost to 60 everything must seem really weird and pointless

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I, on the other hand, think it's a massive improvement. I don't care about collecting 10 thingies or killing 15 whatsits. Making it so I don't need to do all those boring random MMO quests is so, so good.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Doesn't really matter to me since I've played 1-50 before, but for new players who don't boost to 60 everything must seem really weird and pointless

The old game could take hundreds of hours to hit 50.

I think new players will be fine with it.

• Options
    I actually felt like vanilla was really random and disjointed.

Once you landed on a planet your were bombarded with the planet's story mission and several totally unrelated side missions all before even setting up your class story for that planet. Your missions log quickly turned into a jumbled mess and things just kind of blurred together. It was exacerbated by the length of time it took to do anything and if you happened to take a break for a few weeks it was extra confusing when you got back.

So yes, they butchered it in the sense that, like a butchered animal, now I want to eat it where I didn't before it was butchered.

• Options

SWTOR for me has always been about the story. Class stories are the best but even some of the planetary content is pretty good just gets a little stale the 3 or 4th or 8th time you played through it. The new KOTFE content is pure story, very cinematic (which is good and bad, cant forget there is a game there as well) I have a Trooper and Sorceror that I still need to finish the story with , and I have a smuggler in his 40s that also needs to finish the story. Tempted to reroll them all from the get go as the Troop and Sorc are so low level, and I dont like Scoundrel

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Filler quests to collect and kill things isn't what I was talking about at all

What I mean is the story is just really weird and disjointed now

Everything feels so rushed and barebones

I think it's great for returning players, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who hasn't played SWTOR before

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I think they've refocused on the right kind of content, it's just unfortunately spread out across the old landscape. Which, while good, doesn't match the immersion of the content.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I think it's great for returning players, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who hasn't played SWTOR before

Here's the thing: you have the OPTION of doing the filler quests. It's no longer a requirement if you want to be at-level.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    On the 12x EXP thing.

I...totally forgot how massive Planetary quests are and it was a little jarring. I was expecting it to be like the Class missions, with one pit stop in each area but instead they are PRETTY exhaustive.

Not terrible, just moreso an observation and a little bit of a shock from being able to blaze through a planet in an hour.

• Options
    edited October 2015

I haven't had a chance to play old content yet since the changes... So how does it work now? Before it was Class quests and the main planetary quest line plus a bunch of optional quests and of course heroics, as well as a flash point here and there if you wanted (but you dont really need to do them)

When I played my Jedi at launch I played all the content and almost all the heroics and flashpoints, took awhile and I did outlevel some of the planets a bit but overall I was in line up til level 50.

I played 12x before KOTFE and while I was well over leveled I still played a good chunk of the content but skipped a bunch of other content for most of the classes I played through this way. The last one I did was my Shadow and I straight up Storymoded her. Because of that I didn't really feel a connection to the character or the companions as I did with the ones I played for longer. Is that what is happening now?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    What I've found (with my baby smuggler and my lower levelled alts when I run with my partner) is that everything feels so much more...optional now (in a good way).

Before, it felt like you had to do the class AND planetary missions AND a decent chunk to all of the optional quests/some heroics to stay on the levelling curve.

Now...well, yes, the critical path missions are still pretty much mandatory for the overall story, but with everything else, I can just dip in and out depending on what I feel and not have to worry about gimping myself on the grind. The added bonus as well is that, with the level scaling now active, you still get the benefit of doing the optional content and have it be useful to you regardless of your 'actual' level.

Me likey!

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    My entire complaint with SWTOR since release has been that the story stuff is great and starts out paced very well, but once I would start to get a few levels under me the time and distance between story moments becomes so stretched out and stuffed with filler that I lose interest and when I finally arrive at the next story moment I've pretty much forgotten why I even cared.

Where this would be strained to the point of me quitting was almost always Alderaan and everything past that was just an awful, tedious chore (except Quesh which was lame for other reasons).

Excising all the filler garbage was nothing but a good choice, imo. Now they just need to chop the vanilla planet's sizes down to about half. RotHC and beyond was about what they should aim for.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Let's hope that they've cut Corellia and Belsavis down to size, because they've been the big problem for me. When you are approaching level cap and endgame is when the story should be building towards its climax, yet in vanilla TOR they dumped you onto enormous planets with quest chains scattered all over the place requiring hours of aimless wandering. And that's how you kill the narrative.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Let's hope that they've cut Corellia and Belsavis down to size, because they've been the big problem for me. When you are approaching level cap and endgame is when the story should be building towards its climax, yet in vanilla TOR they dumped you onto enormous planets with quest chains scattered all over the place requiring hours of aimless wandering. And that's how you kill the narrative.

Phew yea.. those two planets are a bit of a drag, wasnt a big fan of Alderaan either.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »

Phew yea.. those two planets are a bit of a drag, wasnt a big fan of Alderaan either.

I found Hoth to be a bit of a slog too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    For those who got Nico Okarr, either through the story or as a sub bonus: Is it still John DiMaggio?

• Options
    I hope the future holds a vanilla revamp along the lines of WoW's Cataclysm but without altering the stories in any way. Stuff just needs to be tightened up to maintain momentum and maybe clean up some of the cutscene animation and add more fancy camera work like we got in SoR and KotFE.

This discussion has been closed.