As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Next chapter of KotFE coming March 10: Disavowed

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Knights of the Fallen Empire Chapters I-IX early access story report. So long. So many words. Bring a lunch. Or at least some water. Also spoilers.
    I don't buy it.

Quite simply, Valkorion and Vitiate cannot be the same person. I would buy them as rivals or friends or brothers making a bet over their preferred method of achieving immortality. I would buy that Vitiate's revived spirit just happened to find Valkorion and possess him, or that he ran afoul of Valkorion and Valkorion had defeated him and consumed his strength, making him even stronger but also more evil and displaying some of Vitiate's traits. Even so, the only thing they have in common outside of being immortal Force-sensitive Emperors (which are not character traits) is their weird obsession with the player character. (Incidentally, said obsession, plus the advertising, makes me think that the canonical Outlander is indeed the Jedi Knight. There are elements of the story that only apply to other classes, generally when you meet other companions, but still--there is no real reason for the Emperor, if it is Vitiate, to be obsessed with any of the PCs except for the Jedi Knight and maybe the Wrath. If Valkorion is a different character then it makes sense he might find any of the classes fascinating after their class story is complete.

The Jedi Knight also makes the most sense to me for other reasons. Not least is because I noted so many places for my Sentinel to just troll the hell out of Arcann, e.g. noting that, y'know, it's not going to look good historically for Arcann when he won't even be in the first three Emperors the Jedi Knight killed. "Although I grant you did most of the work on the third one. Maybe the historians will give you a footnote?")

They are not the same person. They can't be. "I am, and am not"? Fuck that. As well expect me to believe that Tyranus and Vader are the same person. No.

That said! If you can get past that (and it's easy to headcanon an explanation as I have) it's fucking excellent. I love the look and feel of everything about Zakuul. I think it's kind of neat how they stomped the rest of the galaxy in five years but didn't actually destroy them because they need raw materials for...something. (sinister music) The new in-game music is stellar (har har har). Marr remains a boss, all the way up to his death and beyond. (I find it funny that Satele has gone crazy forest hobo lady and her only company is visits from Marr's spirit; Marr looks really weird with the glowy-blue good-guy-ghost filter put on top of his spiky armor.) Valkorion is enigmatic and terrifying and much more interesting than Vitiate (another reason I think he can't be the Sith Emperor--Vitiate was a Force [ahem] of nature villain, Valkorion is a charismatic villain).

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the new human characters seem to physically resemble real-world actors. Senya makes me think of, strangely, Carrie Fisher (among others)--a Carrie Fisher perhaps the same age as ours or a few years younger, but one who didn't do all of the drugs during the 70s and 80s.

There are a lot of nice touches to the story, all of which I love, and the way the characters interact with each other. e.g., Koth distrusts Senya, and vice-versa. But at the same time, Koth appears to be a strong believer in destiny, at least insofar as "The good guys are destined to win". Meanwhile, Senya tries to recruit possibly the most fatalistic faction I've ever seen in Star Wars into the Outlander's cause. Of course, Koth still doesn't trust her, because his beef with her is personal, not philosophical, and you don't just forget that shit overnight (and also the Scions are cray-cray).

Playing my Commando first, I was kind of disappointed with Vik's appearance. It wasn't his different voice (which, if anyone was wondering, was actually changed, not because the VO forgot how to do the voice or was trying something different but because the original VO passed away :(). I dunno, it just didn't feel quite right. I do like how they gave him a touch of depth, even if it's of the "bad men still love their mamas" cliche short.

I also admit I didn't see Senya admitting to being the Emperor's former paramour and mother of his children. Also disappointed you can't flirt with her even once (at least, yet). I mean, a male Smuggler was able to flirt with Satele once. Satele. Maybe they reserved that for Smugglers again. (They let Smugglers flirt with Vitiate, so...) I wouldn't expect anything to come of it, but then nothing came of the Satele flirt. And it would be kind of hilarious to see her shoot someone down with some way of saying "I'm still pining for the immortal devourer of worlds that's stuck in your head and whom you're trying to kill. Sorry?"

When SCORPIO showed up I was somehow surprised, even though I knew that the Lady of Sorrows had to be a previous companion based on the buildup. I was tricked by the Lady part, I think, despite SCORPIO very explicitly identifying as female. I was all, "Hmm, a ruthlessly murderous female companion who's into old tech enough to fix an ancient warship...Risha? Vette? Maybe Mako? If so, they've gotten really violent..." I was planning my next playthrough to be Impside, probably my Powertech, but now I want to play one of my Agents instead...

And then shit gets real. Arcann slaughters the Scions, HK sacrifices himself, Senya defeats Vaylin but can't bring herself to kill her daughter, Arcann demonstrates his plot armor rather impressive Force power and lightsaber skill... And if you go dark side you kill a lot of people when you accept Valkorion's help. And if you don't, you get grievously wounded, and only Valkorion's will keeps you alive. My Commando went lightside, because she's a soldier and the primary objective was complete and she doesn't want to die but she's not that scared of it, but I can see my darksiders and/or more cowardly characters "accidentally" blasting the crap out of a ton of innocents.

And finally after either contracting a somehow-not-fatal case of lightsaber-through-the-gut or committing mass negligence-causing-death, we get to the endgame grind, which is really well-handled. I have not played Warlords of Draenor, but I am planning on doing it sometime before Legion comes out, and this makes me think I have a basic idea of what stronghold building will be like. And the next

What surprises me most is how they use endgame grind to give depth, even a little, to characters that were so flat they were almost one-dimensional, and introduce other characters who are surprisingly deep for fifteen or twenty lines of total dialog so far. I also find it curious that, if Chapter X's preview image is accurate, that will make a total of three Agent companions brought back in directly by the game itself (as opposed to the currently-nonfunctional terminal), with two of them apparently being important parts of the main storyline--the only other original companions that've been a part of the storyline are T7 and Vik.

Last thing I'll note: there's a surprising amount of diversity in Knights--a lot more than you'd expect from a Star Wars T-rated MMO, even one that was first released in 2011. I'm wondering if the new thrust of the movies brought this about. e.g., Your primary ally is a bi woman. Her primary allies are a bi black man, a middle-aged mother who is still terrifying on the battlefield, and a droid, and droids having gender at all, let alone choosing it, should basically be seen as a parable for gender issues if it isn't already. A group of at least 66% women (and possibly 100%, and as little as 0% straight white guys) absolutely wrecks the faces of large numbers of severe badasses, all of whom present as men...and then a female-presenting officer on the other side changes tactics and things get rough for the good guys. You next add two more droids--well, one droid and a true AI with a mechanical body. The AI, who chooses to be designated as female, chooses a feminine nickname, and built a feminine body to house her consciousness (and the one instance in the vanilla game where she projected herself as a human woman, the projection was a woman of color), is probably the smartest character in the game, terrifyingly powerful in the lore, and helping you for reasons that are entirely hers. A secondary character you battle, if you spare him, emails you later to thank you for just giving him a headache instead of a shallow grave, and for letting him go home to his husband. There's even a mini-sidestory told in ambient dialog with a couple of refugees, which begins with the wife complaining about the lifestyle they left behind, and then becomes about the wife being the one who gets tough and learns to keep the two of them alive. So that's neat.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    What's a good $5.00 purchase to make to get my account to preferred status? Are there any permanent status changes or add ons that are worth it over picking up disposables?

I think artifact gear access is the big one if you plan on playing a lot. That's the one that lets you use high end purple gear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    What's a good $5.00 purchase to make to get my account to preferred status? Are there any permanent status changes or add ons that are worth it over picking up disposables?

There is a starter pack with Rocket boots in it that is really worthwhile. However you will get far better value subscribing for 1 month now, as it will get you all the expansion packs, permanently, as well as 500 cartel coins. Those coins pretty much cover the value of the starter pack iirc.

Once you unsub, you will be preferred after your sub time runs out.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    @Shadowen
    My Sith Warrior was able to flirt with Senya, though only once. She seemed kind of into it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    So, RE: Valkorion (spoilers for both TOR and KotFE of course):
    I think what Bioware is going for is that his change in mindset from being Vitiate to Valkorion is a case of "You are what you eat." When Vitiate did his first devour all life on a planet ritual in an attempt to become immortal, he ate a planet that was all Sith. And, well, we know what Sith are like. That led to his great "Devour the galaxy" plan that the Jedi Knight confronts in TOR. When he did his second devour all life plan on Ziost, he ate a normal Imperial World, filled with a bunch of civilians and normal troops. This pulled his mind back from the giant "Eat everything so I'm immortal" mindset he previously had. This is hinted at in Chapter 2 where Valkorion says something like "Ziost changed everyone, even me."

In general KotFE stuff, I have to wonder how much difference there is in conversations. I took my Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior through Chapter 3, and both took the major dark side choice there. When they did so, however, they both said very different things and got different companion reactions. My Imperial Agent got "Companion A will remember your indifference" while my Sith Warrior got "Companion A will remember your cruelty". My IA is neutral while my Sith Warrior is very Dark Side. I have to wonder if your place on the Light/Dark access affects dialog and NPC reactions. I wish I had a light side Sith Warrior so he could take the dark side action there so I could see if its class based or Light/Dark based.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

There is a starter pack with Rocket boots in it that is really worthwhile. However you will get far better value subscribing for 1 month now, as it will get you all the expansion packs, permanently, as well as 500 cartel coins. Those coins pretty much cover the value of the starter pack iirc.

Once you unsub, you will be preferred after your sub time runs out.

I would also recommend subscribing. I played it some when it first went F2P but quickly got annoyed at all of the stuff I was missing out on. I'm enjoying it much more after subscribing.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    If you have the means, subscription is absolutely the way to go.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Knights of the Fallen Empire Chapters I-IX early access story report. So long. So many words. Bring a lunch. Or at least some water. Also spoilers.
    I don't buy it.

Quite simply, Valkorion and Vitiate cannot be the same person. I would buy them as rivals or friends or brothers making a bet over their preferred method of achieving immortality. I would buy that Vitiate's revived spirit just happened to find Valkorion and possess him, or that he ran afoul of Valkorion and Valkorion had defeated him and consumed his strength, making him even stronger but also more evil and displaying some of Vitiate's traits. Even so, the only thing they have in common outside of being immortal Force-sensitive Emperors (which are not character traits) is their weird obsession with the player character. (Incidentally, said obsession, plus the advertising, makes me think that the canonical Outlander is indeed the Jedi Knight. There are elements of the story that only apply to other classes, generally when you meet other companions, but still--there is no real reason for the Emperor, if it is Vitiate, to be obsessed with any of the PCs except for the Jedi Knight and maybe the Wrath. If Valkorion is a different character then it makes sense he might find any of the classes fascinating after their class story is complete.

The Jedi Knight also makes the most sense to me for other reasons. Not least is because I noted so many places for my Sentinel to just troll the hell out of Arcann, e.g. noting that, y'know, it's not going to look good historically for Arcann when he won't even be in the first three Emperors the Jedi Knight killed. "Although I grant you did most of the work on the third one. Maybe the historians will give you a footnote?")

They are not the same person. They can't be. "I am, and am not"? Fuck that. As well expect me to believe that Tyranus and Vader are the same person. No.

That said! If you can get past that (and it's easy to headcanon an explanation as I have) it's fucking excellent. I love the look and feel of everything about Zakuul. I think it's kind of neat how they stomped the rest of the galaxy in five years but didn't actually destroy them because they need raw materials for...something. (sinister music) The new in-game music is stellar (har har har). Marr remains a boss, all the way up to his death and beyond. (I find it funny that Satele has gone crazy forest hobo lady and her only company is visits from Marr's spirit; Marr looks really weird with the glowy-blue good-guy-ghost filter put on top of his spiky armor.) Valkorion is enigmatic and terrifying and much more interesting than Vitiate (another reason I think he can't be the Sith Emperor--Vitiate was a Force [ahem] of nature villain, Valkorion is a charismatic villain).

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the new human characters seem to physically resemble real-world actors. Senya makes me think of, strangely, Carrie Fisher (among others)--a Carrie Fisher perhaps the same age as ours or a few years younger, but one who didn't do all of the drugs during the 70s and 80s.

There are a lot of nice touches to the story, all of which I love, and the way the characters interact with each other. e.g., Koth distrusts Senya, and vice-versa. But at the same time, Koth appears to be a strong believer in destiny, at least insofar as "The good guys are destined to win". Meanwhile, Senya tries to recruit possibly the most fatalistic faction I've ever seen in Star Wars into the Outlander's cause. Of course, Koth still doesn't trust her, because his beef with her is personal, not philosophical, and you don't just forget that shit overnight (and also the Scions are cray-cray).

Playing my Commando first, I was kind of disappointed with Vik's appearance. It wasn't his different voice (which, if anyone was wondering, was actually changed, not because the VO forgot how to do the voice or was trying something different but because the original VO passed away :(). I dunno, it just didn't feel quite right. I do like how they gave him a touch of depth, even if it's of the "bad men still love their mamas" cliche short.

I also admit I didn't see Senya admitting to being the Emperor's former paramour and mother of his children. Also disappointed you can't flirt with her even once (at least, yet). I mean, a male Smuggler was able to flirt with Satele once. Satele. Maybe they reserved that for Smugglers again. (They let Smugglers flirt with Vitiate, so...) I wouldn't expect anything to come of it, but then nothing came of the Satele flirt. And it would be kind of hilarious to see her shoot someone down with some way of saying "I'm still pining for the immortal devourer of worlds that's stuck in your head and whom you're trying to kill. Sorry?"

When SCORPIO showed up I was somehow surprised, even though I knew that the Lady of Sorrows had to be a previous companion based on the buildup. I was tricked by the Lady part, I think, despite SCORPIO very explicitly identifying as female. I was all, "Hmm, a ruthlessly murderous female companion who's into old tech enough to fix an ancient warship...Risha? Vette? Maybe Mako? If so, they've gotten really violent..." I was planning my next playthrough to be Impside, probably my Powertech, but now I want to play one of my Agents instead...

And then shit gets real. Arcann slaughters the Scions, HK sacrifices himself, Senya defeats Vaylin but can't bring herself to kill her daughter, Arcann demonstrates his plot armor rather impressive Force power and lightsaber skill... And if you go dark side you kill a lot of people when you accept Valkorion's help. And if you don't, you get grievously wounded, and only Valkorion's will keeps you alive. My Commando went lightside, because she's a soldier and the primary objective was complete and she doesn't want to die but she's not that scared of it, but I can see my darksiders and/or more cowardly characters "accidentally" blasting the crap out of a ton of innocents.

And finally after either contracting a somehow-not-fatal case of lightsaber-through-the-gut or committing mass negligence-causing-death, we get to the endgame grind, which is really well-handled. I have not played Warlords of Draenor, but I am planning on doing it sometime before Legion comes out, and this makes me think I have a basic idea of what stronghold building will be like. And the next

What surprises me most is how they use endgame grind to give depth, even a little, to characters that were so flat they were almost one-dimensional, and introduce other characters who are surprisingly deep for fifteen or twenty lines of total dialog so far. I also find it curious that, if Chapter X's preview image is accurate, that will make a total of three Agent companions brought back in directly by the game itself (as opposed to the currently-nonfunctional terminal), with two of them apparently being important parts of the main storyline--the only other original companions that've been a part of the storyline are T7 and Vik.

Last thing I'll note: there's a surprising amount of diversity in Knights--a lot more than you'd expect from a Star Wars T-rated MMO, even one that was first released in 2011. I'm wondering if the new thrust of the movies brought this about. e.g., Your primary ally is a bi woman. Her primary allies are a bi black man, a middle-aged mother who is still terrifying on the battlefield, and a droid, and droids having gender at all, let alone choosing it, should basically be seen as a parable for gender issues if it isn't already. A group of at least 66% women (and possibly 100%, and as little as 0% straight white guys) absolutely wrecks the faces of large numbers of severe badasses, all of whom present as men...and then a female-presenting officer on the other side changes tactics and things get rough for the good guys. You next add two more droids--well, one droid and a true AI with a mechanical body. The AI, who chooses to be designated as female, chooses a feminine nickname, and built a feminine body to house her consciousness (and the one instance in the vanilla game where she projected herself as a human woman, the projection was a woman of color), is probably the smartest character in the game, terrifyingly powerful in the lore, and helping you for reasons that are entirely hers. A secondary character you battle, if you spare him, emails you later to thank you for just giving him a headache instead of a shallow grave, and for letting him go home to his husband. There's even a mini-sidestory told in ambient dialog with a couple of refugees, which begins with the wife complaining about the lifestyle they left behind, and then becomes about the wife being the one who gets tough and learns to keep the two of them alive. So that's neat.

I don't understand the desire for a "canonical" outlander. Personally find the knight one of the more boring characters on there own.

Revan was far more interesting as a mysterious figure then the petulant and whiny version we got.
    I'm not sure what to make of Valkorian, he's either directly effected by the lives he takes...as in his personality changes with it, or he's got a sith lord from kotor 2 thing going on where he links up with those around him and is changed like that.

He could have some split personality going on.

Or at the end of his story it'll all be "Just as planned" in some convoluted way and the countless lives lost are deemed worthwhile to put the outlander on the throne of zakuul...or it'll turn out he'll betray you at the last to retake his empire for...reasons.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    4.01 dropped last night. Among other things, our gazebos are finally delivered! And they fixed the experience bonus not being bind-on-pickup.

Lots and lots of fixes...

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10272015/game-update-4.0.1

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I don't buy it.

I don't understand the desire for a "canonical" outlander. Personally find the knight one of the more boring characters on there own.

Revan was far more interesting as a mysterious figure then the petulant and whiny version we got.
    I'm not sure what to make of Valkorian, he's either directly effected by the lives he takes...as in his personality changes with it, or he's got a sith lord from kotor 2 thing going on where he links up with those around him and is changed like that.

Or at the end of his story it'll all be "Just as planned" in some convoluted way and the countless lives lost are deemed worthwhile to put the outlander on the throne of zakuul...or it'll turn out he'll betray you at the last to retake his empire for...reasons.

Yeah, I really don't get(KoTFE spoilers)
    Why Valkorionvitate even needs you. I mean, the first thing he says to you in chapter 2 is kind of telling("And now, you are whole"), but it's kind of confusing. If he's immortal,has the throne, and can dispatch his son rather easily, then why does he need the PC specifically?

I mean, speaking from a Jedi Knight point of view, it makes even less sense, because if he wanted to, he could pretty easily take your body, since the Jedi Knight knows, more than anyone else, that he can do that thing. But it's more like he needs you, specifcally, for something. And it's not dealing with his kids, he clearly had that handled.

I mean, it could be that he needs a soul to sort of bond with, maybe? Since he pretty clearly is long seperated from his original body, he needs something that accepts him, or rather, a strong spirit that he can influence in the long term? I mean, he can clearly possess people to be his mouthpiece, but maybe his true form needs a new home, maybe?

I mean, if we're going all in on Jedi Knight, he needs someone like, well, Revan.To form a kind of Light Side/Dark Side dichotomy to achieve a balance he is incapable of(since he's way too far gone in the Dark Side of the Force) in order to truly create something lasting. Hell, maybe he realizes that without any semblance of opposing viewpoint this is what he'll be, just a constantly devouring entity, and he needs someone, someone he respects, to try and keep him in balance and in check so that he can actually enjoy his eternity, someone who GIVES him humanity, instead of being just a life-eating monster.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I don't buy it.

Yeah, I really don't get(KoTFE spoilers)
    Why Valkorionvitate even needs you. I mean, the first thing he says to you in chapter 2 is kind of telling("And now, you are whole"), but it's kind of confusing. If he's immortal,has the throne, and can dispatch his son rather easily, then why does he need the PC specifically?

I mean, speaking from a Jedi Knight point of view, it makes even less sense, because if he wanted to, he could pretty easily take your body, since the Jedi Knight knows, more than anyone else, that he can do that thing. But it's more like he needs you, specifcally, for something. And it's not dealing with his kids, he clearly had that handled.

I mean, it could be that he needs a soul to sort of bond with, maybe? Since he pretty clearly is long seperated from his original body, he needs something that accepts him, or rather, a strong spirit that he can influence in the long term? I mean, he can clearly possess people to be his mouthpiece, but maybe his true form needs a new home, maybe?

I mean, if we're going all in on Jedi Knight, he needs someone like, well, Revan.To form a kind of Light Side/Dark Side dichotomy to achieve a balance he is incapable of(since he's way too far gone in the Dark Side of the Force) in order to truly create something lasting. Hell, maybe he realizes that without any semblance of opposing viewpoint this is what he'll be, just a constantly devouring entity, and he needs someone, someone he respects, to try and keep him in balance and in check so that he can actually enjoy his eternity, someone who GIVES him humanity, instead of being just a life-eating monster.

more emperor chat
    Maybe Vitiate is the emperors darkside and Valkorian is the light side?? Vitiate was all, mua ha ha eat the galaxy, and Valkorian other than being kind of a shitty dad was benevolent, loving and a good leader. Vitiate gets ganked by the Jedi Knight stays in limbo until Revan frees him, eats Ziost then finds his other half which in turn makes Valkorian attack the core worlds.

Valkorian before all this has a relationship with one of his guards, marries? her has kids realizes that he is getting too attached and that leads to the darkside and then raises his kids like an emotionless Jedi. Then Vitiate possesess Valk, declares war which in turn leads to Arcann getting mauled. This on top of him being a distant father makes Arcann nutballs he attacks, kills his bro and then Valk/Vit is all "Shit son, maybe I should have paid you more attention"

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I did my first ever solo flashpoint last night (The first one in the Revan Expansion).

I just got the quest and walked into the flashpoint. It set itself as solo. I didn't even see the droid until after I exited.

The difficulty was really stupid easy, by the way. I'm not sure if that was because I was in lvl 55 raid gear, or it just is that easy anyway. Regardless, I'm pretty sure Gus could have soloed the entire thing by himself. The droid they give you is overkill. But it does the job, so *shrug*.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That droid will get you in trouble, like getting stuck in combat mode when there are no enemies around so you can't open doors and stuff

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It was Taral V I was trying to do yesterday that was such a pain.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    I did my first ever solo flashpoint last night (The first one in the Revan Expansion).

I just got the quest and walked into the flashpoint. It set itself as solo. I didn't even see the droid until after I exited.

The difficulty was really stupid easy, by the way. I'm not sure if that was because I was in lvl 55 raid gear, or it just is that easy anyway. Regardless, I'm pretty sure Gus could have soloed the entire thing by himself. The droid they give you is overkill. But it does the job, so *shrug*.

Yeah, the solo flashpoints are stupid easy right now. That is not necessarily a bad thing, for what it's worth, but definitely no real challenge. I sent my companion & robot friend in to solo a trash group while I went afk to bio and grab a drink, and when I came back I found out that it was actually a boss and a few adds, and that they had no trouble at all soloing it and keeping me alive while I was contributing literally nothing to the fight.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    so word in the rumor mill is theres a big new update for SWTOR that aims to shake things up.

Just curious if it defucks the f2p shit, or if its still as miserable as ever?

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    So with the transition to data crystals and 'mods-only' rewards from planetary commendations vendors, does that mean all the sweet orange quality gear is lossed?

Specifically, there are some seriously nice bounty hunter helmets that I remember dropping from there...

• Options
    A lot of the old orange gear is found randomly in the boxes you turn in to your alliance support folks for influence with them.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    so word in the rumor mill is theres a big new update for SWTOR that aims to shake things up.

F2P is still pretty miserable. I don't actually believe you can even access the new material if you aren't a subscriber, though the new material is free to subscribers.

• Options

Yeah, basically.

F2P: Fuck you, go home.

Subscriber: Here have a massage and a backrub and oh look your favorite movie ever is on sit back and relax and enjoy the show!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Yeah, basically.

F2P: Fuck you, go home.

Subscriber: Here have a massage and a backrub and oh look your favorite movie ever is on sit back and relax and enjoy the show!

Preferred: I hope you spent your credits and monthly Cartel coins wisely on unlocks because now we're turning off the lights.

488W936.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Valkorion is enigmatic and terrifying and much more interesting than Vitiate (another reason I think he can't be the Sith Emperor--Vitiate was a Force [ahem] of nature villain, Valkorion is a charismatic villain).
    Actually, this is exactly the reason he's the Sith Emperor. The Sith Emperor was a super-boring character, but he was so central to the story he couldn't be written out of new content. So... they decided to eat the characterization discongruity early in the new story so we'll have longer to forget about it.

Also disappointed you can't flirt with her even once (at least, yet). I mean, a male Smuggler was able to flirt with Satele once.
    Pretty sure you can flirt with her, but you missed it. My female Consular had a flirt option for her, once. My understanding is that it goes nowhere if you take it.

Your last paragraph brings up a lot of good points, but it's way too kind to the original game. The original TOR stories had no non-straight romances (long after BW had shipped non-straight romances in ME and DA) and a lot of super-problematic portrayals of women. Vette was probably the most egregious, but there was also way too much "Hot for Teacher" action going on with all the young female romance-able apprentices/padawans.

Anyway, my meta take is that KotFE writing team is completely different than the original TOR writing team, and that they're not big fans of the original team's work (except maybe for the Agent story). Aside from the fact that KotFE is just so much better than the original stories, they also tossed out almost all of the ongoing major conflicts from the original game. No more class stories, no more Republic vs. Empire, no more Revan, and the Sith Emperor mutated beyond recognition into something much different (and far more interesting).

Also, while googling, I just discovered that the original Agent story writer wasn't involved in KotFE (or even employed at BW while KotFE was being written) but that BW brought him back to write Chapter 10. So... my hype for Chapter 10 is much, much increased.

htm on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Valkorion is enigmatic and terrifying and much more interesting than Vitiate (another reason I think he can't be the Sith Emperor--Vitiate was a Force [ahem] of nature villain, Valkorion is a charismatic villain).
    Actually, this is exactly the reason he's the Sith Emperor. The Sith Emperor was a super-boring character, but he was so central to the story he couldn't be written out of new content. So... they decided to eat the characterization discongruity early in the new story so we'll have longer to forget about it.

Also disappointed you can't flirt with her even once (at least, yet). I mean, a male Smuggler was able to flirt with Satele once.
    Pretty sure you can flirt with her, but you missed it. My female Consular had a flirt option for her, once. My understanding is that it goes nowhere if you take it.

Your last paragraph brings up a lot of good points, but it's way too kind to the original game. The original TOR stories had no non-straight romances (long after BW had shipped non-straight romances in ME and DA) and a lot of super-problematic portrayals of women. Vette was probably the most egregious, but there was also way too much "Hot for Teacher" action going on with all the young female romance-able apprentices/padawans.

Anyway, my meta take is that KotFE writing team is completely different than the original TOR writing team, and that they're not big fans of the original team's work (except maybe for the Agent story). Aside from the fact that KotFE is just so much better than the original stories, they also tossed out almost all of the ongoing major conflicts from the original game. No more class stories, no more Republic vs. Empire, no more Revan, and the Sith Emperor mutated beyond recognition into something much different (and far more interesting).

Also, while googling, I just discovered that the original Agent story writer wasn't involved in KotFE (or even employed at BW while KotFE was being written) but that BW brought him back to write Chapter 10. So... my hype for Chapter 10 is much, much increased.

How that man wasn't already permanently employed by Bioware as a writer I have no idea.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »

How that man wasn't already permanently employed by Bioware as a writer I have no idea.

Better job prospects would be my guess.

• Options

Clearly Keeper made him a better offer to come back.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    So with the transition to data crystals and 'mods-only' rewards from planetary commendations vendors, does that mean all the sweet orange quality gear is lossed?

Specifically, there are some seriously nice bounty hunter helmets that I remember dropping from there...

I think that pretty much all the old armor models are craftable as blues now. All the old crafted gear schematics have been deprecated (they're still there and craftable if you had learned them, but they're tucked away under an "Archive" heading). The trainers now teach only blue schematics that are meant to be crafted and used as you level. And judging by the ones available to Synthweavers, it looks like they made an effort to make sure that all of the old armor models make an appearance.

• Options

He's apparently doing his own thing. Relevant quote:
    Speaking of Star Wars: The Old Republic, its next expansion–entitled Knights of the Fallen Empire–arrives October 27th, bringing massive story changes to the setting. The first nine chapters of episodic story content will be released all at once, but I’m the writer for chapter ten, “Anarchy in Paradise” and one later chapter that will appear in 2016. While the larger storyline is in the capable hands of the BioWare Austin writing team, I’m grateful to BioWare for inviting me to play in a small section of the SWTOR sandbox once again.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have never felt that preferred was that bad, really. You can't really make big credits but there isn't that much reason to really need big credits, and you can still do FPs/raids/etc easily enough

do people still do galactic starfighter or has that kinda died out? I used to have fun flying a bomber way back when

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So I guess it was the duster I missed out on, now that stuff's rolled out live to everyone and I got my runup rewards. Not particularly fussed over missing it, it'd probably see about as much use as the kotor swoop will. For that matter I'm probably not gonna see overmuch use of Nico or the Blasters either. Makes me wonder why I even bothered going for them. I am good at money.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

The lady in question
    You're damn right my Jedi Knight flirted with her. Her reaction is something along the lines of "Senya is bemused"

Senya OTP

Senya forever.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Pure f2p looks like it still sucks, preferred sucks less of course. I will say now that you can level purely on the main quests (like the old 12x xp bonus) even as a f2p player things look like they suck less overall, though!

I still probably wouldn't play without a sub though. Which I uhh, subbed again last night because I'm really digging these 4.0 changes.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Regarding Valkorion and his goals/motives:
    A good friend and I were chatting last night, trying to figure out what the heck Valkorion's motivation was for doing all this stuff. One of the more promising theories we came up with, was the idea that he's doing this all for the one need immortal beings might very well still have: entertainment. There's a distinct possibility that he was telling the truth when he stated that he had truly passed beyond death's reach, which arguably means that there are (at least currently) no threats to his existance. Of course, this also means that he is in all likelihood bored out of his mind.

So what if, he's doing all this to try and breed a challenge for himself? Given how he's treated his children, setting them against each other to see who comes out the most successful, maybe the Outlander is just the latest addition to the process in an attempt to weed out various candidates and select someone who can provide him with a nice stimulating challenge. It would certainly explain why he hasn't killed the Outlander outright, and why he keeps trying to tempt the Outlander with his power.

Of course, the above statement is strictly a theory. Frankly, one of the things I'm enjoying most about the new expanion is the degree of uncertainty with the storyline. I enjoy having some mysteries and unpredictible elements in the story to help keep me engaged. There's plenty of things story-wise that could go horribly wrong for the Outlander and that pleases me immensely. There's nothing more boring than a story where you can see the outcome coming from a mile away.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So with KotFE out of early access, you get the decoration you were promised for getting the (now-defunct) Making the Connection or Well-Connected achievements.

8OdgUtt.png

Ohhh, that kinda gazebo!

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

The lady in question
    You're damn right my Jedi Knight flirted with her. Her reaction is something along the lines of "Senya is bemused"

Senya OTP

Senya forever.

A relationship with her would be kinda creepy, imo.
    I mean, you're semi-possessed by her former lover/husband and father of her children...and she knows.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »

The lady in question

Senya OTP

Senya forever.

I mean, you're semi-possessed by her former lover/husband and father of her children...and she knows.

Roleplay!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Dunno if anyone knows the answer to this, but the internet is being strangely quiet on the subject. Regarding grade 7 ship schematics (of which my cybertech has a grand total of 1 learned - the concussion missile magazine), currently on the crafting tab it states it requires 12 obsolete material. Now of course I sold all of the obsolete material I had in my inventory before I checked this and now no longer have any.

I noticed from the most recent patch notes that concussion missile magazine is apparently listed as one of the patterns that has been upgraded to use components, but I see no change. Is this going to be one of those 'you have to buy the schematic again for 500 Fleet Comms' kinda issues?

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    On a completely different note, if you're a crafter then the GTN is absolutely on fire right now.

And if you're just starting on KotFE and you're going to be a crafter, then I strongly recommend you save your gifts for your crafting companions. If you run up the influence really high on a dedicated crafting companion or two, you'll have a much easier time farming your own purple mats. That will make all your GTN sales into pure profit since green and blue mats are very cheap, even if you don't gather them yourself.

Also note that you don't have to level a character to 65 in order for her to be effective at crafting. You can play the story on one character and spend all your gifts to gain influence with one of your crafting alt's companions.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular

The lady in question

Senya OTP

Senya forever.

Yeah, I like that character a lot,
    and definitely took that flirt option, but actually pursuing a relationship with her would be... real weird. How much of her reasons for doing so would be because of the Valkorion thing? Would it be because she actually likes me, or would she be harboring hopes that I could actually become Valkorion, somehow?

Then there's the idea that Valkorion is probably watching all of this happen, very likely not even upset, but with a smug grin on his face.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

The lady in question

Senya OTP

Senya forever.

Yeah, I like that character a lot,
    and definitely took that flirt option, but actually pursuing a relationship with her would be... real weird. How much of her reasons for doing so would be because of the Valkorion thing? Would it be because she actually likes me, or would she be harboring hopes that I could actually become Valkorion, somehow?

Then there's the idea that Valkorion is probably watching all of this happen, very likely not even upset, but with a smug grin on his face.
    yea we will see how cool he is with it once his wife is making out with us in front of him

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I have never felt that preferred was that bad, really. You can't really make big credits but there isn't that much reason to really need big credits, and you can still do FPs/raids/etc easily enough

do people still do galactic starfighter or has that kinda died out? I used to have fun flying a bomber way back when

Some do, though the queue certainly isn't as fast as the ones for warzones.
    So with KotFE out of early access, you get the decoration you were promised for getting the (now-defunct) Making the Connection or Well-Connected achievements.

8OdgUtt.png

Ohhh, that kinda gazebo!

I shoot it with my bow.

Dizzen on
This discussion has been closed.