As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Thought I would share this cool video from David Patterson. I would love to go to this place and take a ton of photos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMCsMa9qEY

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So we're getting rain now, and maybe snow later. This is the first time I've actually had to use the windshield wipers on the Civic. I'm having a weird problem that I can't find the answer for from searching.
    New blades, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    Both wipers do their thing really well when moving up. But when they move down, the driver's side one doesn't quite get everything. There's an area about halfway down about halfway in the middle that doesn't get cleared.
    Anyone have any ideas?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Your stereo headunit is already double-DIN sized.

That's what it looks like but every compatibility site says single DIN

Why would they say that? Maybe it's 1.5 DIN?

The climate control module beneath the stereo module is single-DIN, but that stereo is definitely double. A car audio shop should be able to hook you up with a nice double-DIN headunit with a big satnav screen in it for not too much money, and they should also have adapter harnesses so you can fit aftermarket headunits to your Kia without having to break out the soldering iron.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Did the edge protector on the blade get removed? I've left those on once. Hampers performance haha.

Are they the flexible kind of blades or the multi-pressure style?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Definitely looks like a 2-DIN stereo. I've owned several vehicles with 1.5 DIN ones and they are smaller than that.

• Options
    Did the edge protector on the blade get removed? I've left those on once. Hampers performance haha.

The blade protector was definitely removed.
    They are the flexible type. Bosch's mid-grade IIRC.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Gonna miss the beast. Also, the paintwork on there should be an ad for Autoglym products. It's not looked this good in years.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    That is definitely one handsome box. I really do love the '80s (and early '90s) three-box shape.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Gonna miss the beast. Also, the paintwork on there should be an ad for Autoglym products. It's not looked this good in years.

I'll swear by Autoglym until the day I die, or they start making shitty products.

You've sold the sled on, yeah? Wasn't it broken, and that's why you bought the Subaru?

• Options
    It's not gone yet, but it will be. It's not broken broken, but it does need someone willing to spend a few grand on it, and I wanted a wagon.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Oh sweet baby Jesus I have some idiots in my family.

You have a 17 year old who's managed to total two cars already due to stupidity (though both of them were Mustangs so nothing of value was lost.)

Obviously you want to get the little idiot a used 750 sport bike.

That is not gonna end well. I just pray the kid only ends up with fixable injuries and nothing more permanent.

Christ.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Did...did they at least make him take riding lessons? I mean 17 is the age of testosterone and bad decisions, but maybe they hedged their bets a little?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular

Bushings in the wiper linkage wearing out? How old is the car?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Nothing wrong with Mustangs. I will always appreciate cheap speed.

Wrecking two of them before getting a crotch rocket, on the other hand...

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    They'll probably only need to buy him 1 bike...

• Options
    I would find it hard not to become preachy and start collecting funeral home brochures for them. Do they just really dislike the kid or something?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    They'll probably only need to buy him 1 bike...

Oh god, that's morbid and accurate.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Yeah nah something like a 750 sportsbike is NOT the device you buy for a kid that makes bad decisions in vehicles... Fuck, why not go the whole hog and buy him a ZZR1200?

• Options

Bushings in the wiper linkage wearing out? How old is the car?

1997 Honda Civic.
    The arms are moving all the way up and down. That's not the problem. It's just that on the way down it misses a huge section in the middle.

Kinda like this simple paint drawing I just whipped up:

tf5q8hesuq7s.png

• Options
    That can happen when the wipers get too hard and inflexible to curve to the windshield correctly. Volkswagen had a problem with the mk6 Golf where they got a batch of windscreens that were just a smidgeon too flat in the middle of the driver's side, and with the wiper head being so fucking long on modern cars, the tension rods in the wiper blades (those spring steel strips in the sides) weren't letting the blades flatten out enough to wipe the windscreen properly.The same effect can happen on more reasonable cars when the rubber gets too stiff and doesn't flex right anymore. Seeing as you already replaced the rubbers with new, the next place I would look is at the tension rods and the wiper heads themselves.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I know my cousin will have to take a MSF course. You can't get an under 18 license without it in this state. And he's a pretty skilled rider but all he's done is motocross, which worries me he'd be way to overconfident in his abilities on the road.

But it may all be a non issue. Since his father's an idiot and didn't see what insurance would cost for the thing. And their State Farm agent just laughed and told them they can't get it through State Farm.

• Options
    It's not experience that kills you, it's overconfident speeding [the sort of overconfidence notorious amoungst Mustang drivers] and some goose looking at their phone rolling through a stop sign.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yeah if they were getting the kid a Ninja 300 or even a CBR500R that'd be one thing (both are great bikes btw) but a GSX750R or its ilk is barely usable on the street for an experienced rider let alone a newbie

• Options
    I love that in Australia we've changed the legislation so that instead of the restricted class bike license being a hard 250cc limit, now it is up to 650cc depending on maximum power output.

Because it used to be that squids would get their provisional license and go straight out and buy themselves an Aprilia 250cc 2-stroke sportsbike that is basically a 250cc GP race bike with indicators fitted, and end up meeting their end via "interacting with" an Armco or tree on the outside of a curve at about 150 km/h.

Now the vast majority of new riders are buying 650s that are tuned soft but torquey, there's basically almost a whole new class of bike which is a good vehicle to learn advanced rider craft on. They pretty much encourage you to apply yourself and develop good riding habits, as opposed to the old way of "wring it's neck and try to crack 250 km/h on the freeway at 3a.m. on a Wednesday morning so you can brag to your friends". Now you can get a bike that looks like a litre-class murdercycle, but is basically tuned and setup to be the ideal vehicle to learn rider craft on.

It all makes me want to get my license again and find a nice bike.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    At this point I'm just waiting on my parents to cut me loose before I purchase a bike. Which is around the time MSF courses resume for Spring anyways. Ideally looking for a DRZ400 but there are quite a few bikes in the mini-ADV category hitting the states soon (BMW's G310GS, Kawi's Versys 300, Honda's Rally CRF250L) that are all selling new for the same price as used DR-Zs...

• Options
    I really want to try a Zero S or other electric bike out. They seem neato and right up my alley.

I'd plan to electrify the postie if it ever died, but you can't kill a postie.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I keep threatening to buy another vehicle (I have a garage now!), but mannnnnnn do I miss having a motorcycle. I suppose a bike is about the same price as a used fun car...

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    there's a non-zero chance I get to drive a 911 this weekend

it will be cold, and the terrain is laden with hills and curves

this is good

• Options
    Welp, play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

So far the best quote they could get for liability only was 2,850 a year. Full coverage was 9,000 a year.

Maybe it was just a long-con so my brother could get a used sport bike, but he's not that clever.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    uh yeah, if my 17 yr old had wrecked 2 Mustangs, the only vehicle he'd be using afterwards would be a 1950's VW Beetle, 36HP

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'd stop buying cars for them until they can afford to buy and insure (and wreck) themselves. Until then it's public transportation and depending on your friends or family to take you places.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'd stop buying cars for them until they can afford to buy and insure (and wreck) themselves. Until then it's public transportation and depending on your friends or family to take you places.

Or like my dad tried - 86 diesel golf with a whopping 65 HP or so. Didn't work, as I still got busted doing 80 in a 40. The cop laughed as he didn't think it was actually possible with that vehicle.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the only speeding tickets I've ever gotten were in a 1989 Ford Aerostar and a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. Not in the 85 Jag XJS I had between those two vehicles nor the WRX I occasionally pry from my wife's usage. Granted I've learned my lesson since my Aerostar youth.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Slackers.

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    Wife is going to kill me I bought another 356 today, going to have to find some space in the garage for all the extra bits and pieces it comes with. Its a mess of a car but mostly all there.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Wife is going to kill me I bought another 356 today, going to have to find some space in the garage for all the extra bits and pieces it comes with. Its a mess of a car but mostly all there.

Jealous...

• Options

To be honest I'm a little surprised you don't just rent a small factory unit somewhere at this point - heaps of space, you can install a hoist and a bunch of pallet racking to store parts and such on, you can make as much noise as you like when working on your cars...

• Options
  • Options
    Hamilton really stopped at nothing to show just how petulant he can be this evening, and Rosberg showed just how well he can not overtake anyone or really apply much pressure at all really to take the world championship. Good wrap up to the season really.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Hamilton really stopped at nothing to show just how petulant he can be this evening, and Rosberg showed just how well he can not overtake anyone or really apply much pressure at all really to take the world championship. Good wrap up to the season really.

Time for Ricciardo to win 8 in a row. Races? No.

Championships.

This discussion has been closed.