Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Ohhhh, that is a possibility for sure.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Anybody in the midwest want a Corvette? Putting mine up for sale.

2002 Vette Z06, 125k miles. Thinking $15k is a fair price, completely stock except for a Borla axle-back exhaust.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking either of these two things for Project High School:

K20
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ptd/5815996156.html

Or

J32A2
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/5851418867.html

Thoughts?

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    That K20 is a base model, vtec on the intake? cam only, I think it's rated for about 160 hp, not the 200hp model, which I believe is K20A2 or K20Z*something

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Either swap is going to be a big job, so I say go hard or go home - get the V6.

• Options

And get some turbos?

Also, I've been told it actually won't physically fit into the engine bay in my Civic. :(

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    If you can get hondata on that K20 and add the appropriate bolt ons, along with a turbo you should be good.
    I've seen some mean work done to EP3's that still have the base engine.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Ooo. Or I could get a cam and a turbo on the stock block!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BZ3MLznLgs

I love the sound of this thing. Skip to about 1 minute if you just want to hear it in action.

Really, I look at all my cars as potential, and I see tons in this Civic. And since it's practically worthless, it's kinda like "meh, why not?"

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The only good thing about recent business trips is that I get to drive more modern cars than anything I've actually ever owned. All Golf class so far as I wouldn't even want anything larger on the roads I have to take.

Last time I got a Renault Megane GT which would've been much better if half of the highway hadn't been a giant construction site with 80km/h speed limit and reduced lanes.

I really like heads-up-displays I think.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I have a rental car this trip. A V8 fancy commodore was cheaper than a camry for some reason, so... Yuuuuup. More when I have a proper keyboard to type on.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

And get some turbos?

Also, I've been told it actually won't physically fit into the engine bay in my Civic. :(

And you believed them? Hardware stores sell these cool things called sledgehammers, just get a cheap one and make the engine bay fit the V6.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    bad: the DeltaWing prototype has been retired from competition

good: the new Mazda prototype looks sick as hell. im not sure what the powerplant is though or what class they are in (i havent read up on the new imsa classes) but I'm hoping they aren't "dead last all the time" like before

• Options

And get some turbos?

And you believed them? Hardware stores sell these cool things called sledgehammers, just get a cheap one and make the engine bay fit the V6.

The problem as I understand it is the other way. There's not enough room in front, without doing some serious Porsche bullshit with the halfshafts.
    Unless I go and make it a mid-engine setup, but that's actually beyond my capabilities right now...

• Options
    Turn the motor 90 degrees, make the car RWD. Problem solvered!

• Options

Go on...
    What kind of RWD transmission can I throw on the back of that? How hard is it to make a rusty Honda Civic into RWD?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Now this man has the ideas!

• Options

Go on...
    What kind of RWD transmission can I throw on the back of that? How hard is it to make a rusty Honda Civic into RWD?

I dunno, I'm an ideas man! Likely the S2000 gearbox could be used with an adapter plate and a custom clutch? Or if you don't have to keep it Honda, any RWD manual transmission with an adapter plate and custom clutch. As for making it RWD, besides changing the front subframe completely and cutting in a transmission tunnel, you'll also need to change the front suspension, rear suspension, find a way to fit a differential into the car...

If you have a LOT of spare money a race engineering workshop could do it for you and you wouldn't even get your hands dirty, but you'd likely end up spending Ferrari money and in the end still only have a fairly quick Honda Civic.

• Options

Go on...

I dunno, I'm an ideas man! Likely the S2000 gearbox could be used with an adapter plate and a custom clutch? Or if you don't have to keep it Honda, any RWD manual transmission with an adapter plate and custom clutch. As for making it RWD, besides changing the front subframe completely and cutting in a transmission tunnel, you'll also need to change the front suspension, rear suspension, find a way to fit a differential into the car...

If you have a LOT of spare money a race engineering workshop could do it for you and you wouldn't even get your hands dirty, but you'd likely end up spending Ferrari money and in the end still only have a fairly quick Honda Civic.

I actually did a bit of research. It's literally better to get a RWD frame and put the Civic body on it.

I also cannot weld, and that makes doing anything truly fun outside of my reach. So B16 with a large turbo it probably will be.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Oh hey the new Top Gea-- er um I mean The Grand Tour airs tomorrow

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Apparently it debuts TONIGHT at 7:01PM ET here in the US.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    We in Canada and other Prime deficient lands can't see it until December *coughcoughcough*

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yes, we'll have to wait until December. Truly a sad state of affairs.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    zbt1aP5.gif

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Apparently it debuts TONIGHT at 7:01PM ET here in the US.

source

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Jesus, how much did just the opening cost? Holy shit.

• Options
    I think they said about 3.5 mill.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It was a solid show. The LaFerrari is a beautiful car. I do miss the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment. I'm really excited for the next one. I would have totally binged tonight if they had released them all at once.

Also I forgot how solid the music was for these shows.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I haven't been able to watch it, because my only access to Amazon Prime is through my roommate's account on my Wii U, and it keeps telling me that there's a problem playing back the video.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I have a rental car this trip. A V8 fancy commodore was cheaper than a camry for some reason, so... Yuuuuup. More when I have a proper keyboard to type on.

Right, so it was a LWB model, so my bag fit behind the driver's seat on the floor. Mostly luxo, though the shiny silver plastic will never look like chrome, nor not look cheap. The V8 is nice though, I think it's the first time I've driven one since my first car. Nice array of toys I guess? Didn't really get super deep into them. Basically reasonable, the interior is still worse than the old Volvo's, the engine and gearbox are decent and it hustles reasonable well through some basic twisty roads. Pretty numb steering, but nicely weighty. Weirdly short throw accelerator but normal brake, so there's a huge difference in depth between where the pedals are at rest. Electric parking brake so no shenanigans. Boo to that.

Better than a rental Camry.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Go on...

I actually did a bit of research. It's literally better to get a RWD frame and put the Civic body on it.

I also cannot weld, and that makes doing anything truly fun outside of my reach. So B16 with a large turbo it probably will be.

Nah dude, stroke an LS engine, swap on a vtec head and a Jackson racing super charger.

Melt rods in a Honda that pulls like a blown mustang.

You'll probably want the type r integra lsd in the gear box though...

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If I really want in dash navigation, can I turn a single DIN into a double DIN?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    If I really want in dash navigation, can I turn a single DIN into a double DIN?

Do you have a sawzall?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    As an alternative to the sawzall, a lot of popular cars have custom bezels to allow a double DIN conversion. Cost a bit more but worthwhile.

• Options
    I've seen a few in-dash systems with a screen that slides out and up, and those look like they're single-DIN. No luck with something like that?

• Options
    I've seen a few in-dash systems with a screen that slides out and up, and those look like they're single-DIN. No luck with something like that?

The dash is recessed in with a border around it, so that's a no-go. How do I know if I have the custom bezel thing

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

The dash is recessed in with a border around it, so that's a no-go. How do I know if I have the custom bezel thing

Post a photo of the part of your dash you are interested in converting.

• Options

Post a photo of the part of your dash you are interested in converting.

2006-kia-amanti-6.jpg

This is a stock picture but is correct

The panel above the hazard button juts out about an inch

• Options
    Your stereo headunit is already double-DIN sized.

• Options

That's what it looks like but every compatibility site says single DIN

Why would they say that? Maybe it's 1.5 DIN?

• Options

That's what it looks like but every compatibility site says single DIN

Why would they say that? Maybe it's 1.5 DIN?

No, that's double DIN. It's either one or two. That's a safe standard.

This discussion has been closed.