As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleBots] - A New Dawn in the East: King of Bots

1434445464749»

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with the new crabwalk rule this season, any movement and you are not counted out, last seasons had way too many early count outs.
    Lock-jaw still won but that sudden attack by madcatter was great and almost turned the tables.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Yeah, the rule has made a few extra potato fights but better that than a bunch of ambiguous ends that are controversial for no good reason.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Catching up a couple weeks behind:

Triton vs. Glitch
    Brilliant KO. Glitch was alive under the crabwalk rule and had an active weapon, Triton was mobile but no weapon. They managed to carefully feed Glitch into the wall so it flopped over, and Glitch has no self right so this is an automatic KO.

I love the whole strategic discussion from drivers before fights, because they're such bullshit.

"Their weapon spins counterclockwise so we're going to swing to the left, come behind them and do a spin move to hit their wheels. We can't box rush because they spin up so fast and we definitely don't want to be going weapon to weapon on that blade."
    3...2...1...*weapon to weapon box rush*

Like, yeah, no plan survives contact with the enemy, but most of the time even veteran drivers clearly forgot their plan on the ramp because nine out of ten they exit their square already off the plan.

Brian Nave complaining about mean robots doing too much damage to him, but Shredderator kept moving in that fight. Even before the crabwalk rule, that was the generally recognized green light to keep hitting. And I might add that back when he actually won a couple fights a year he would keep engaging unmoving opponents, so his complaints fall right next to Hydra's for me.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Catching up after a few weeks away, just finished the last qualifying round.

I just want to compare the builder comments of Minotaur v. Witch Doctor to those from Hydra v. Tantrum, since those were two big controversial fights last year that got rematches this year with rule changes specifically addressing the controversy in both.

Jake Ewart was all sour grapes, even after getting solidly wrecked a second time. Still thinks he won the last fight and barely accepted that he lost the rematch... I can only imagine what he'd say now that Tantrum went on to turn in a 1 and 3 card at the end of the season.

Marco Meggiolaro was gracious and honest - the rules were bad, both teams were doing the right thing but the officials were giving each time different feedback. It made for a bad fight and an unsatisfying outcome.

And this is why I will always say, "Get fucked, Hydra."

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I'm only three fights into tonight episode but

Quater Finals
    Malice vs Minotaur
    Malice scared me in the beginning of the fight, they got some really good hits in and it almost looked like Minotaur was in trouble but then they lost their weapon so that was it.

Handkor on
  • Options
    That's Malice in a nutshell right there.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Final episode this season was great. All four quarters matches were exciting and the final match was also.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Finally saw the last episode. My favorite thing this season? The tournament wasn't dominated by cookie cutter vertical disk and drum spinners. There were a lot of them, don't get me wrong, but less than half of the round of 8 and neither finalist. Ever since Tombstone's domination ended the sport's been dominated by a narrow meta, but the annual tweaking of the weapon rules have finally gotten it to a place that diverse strategies are viable, while keeping Battlebots' emphasis on offensive weapons healthy.

And I *do* think the weapon emphasis is important to keep the show interesting enough for TV. A brickbot can be fun to watch when it's Last Rights ripping itself in half trying to break Whoops, but it makes for inevitable and regular potato fights - shit like Buddy Lee vs. Plow Daddy and just... Meh. I see the value of it in both the more casual competitions and in the "farm league" competitions that are often full of high school and college teams. But it's not unreasonable for their to be a "big league" and "minor league" split in the sport.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Oh shit this already started!

Episode one:

Shreddit Bro major surprise after the joke it was in the regular season. Really no other shocks in the episode - Skorpios still Great Value Brand Hammersaw, Switchback still having reliability issues.

Valkyrie's new driver is a bit too timid to get the sort of holy fuck moments that made me love the bot, but at the same time the original driver was basically Captain Sulu, "FLY HER APART THEN!" so this strategy isn't without merit.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEOmbWv4wLM

Not this show but the same sport. Turns out Robogames earlier this year almost had a worst case scenario. A fork from one of the bots was ripped off, thrown through the ceiling of the box, and landed outside it.