As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I watched the ending E version for Drakengard cause that was suppose to be the canon ending.

Soo......why exactly do people like this ending?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So I watched the ending E version for Drakengard cause that was suppose to be the canon ending.

Have you seen the rest of the game and the other endings?

My own interpretation of things:
    All of the characters are awful monsters. This is not an understatement. The main character is a psychopathic murderer, another is literally a pedophile, another is literally a cannibal, the little boy abused his sister. The story is a redemption story. With each successive ending another character redeems themselves through self sacrifice, and each sacrifice pushes towards an ending that is better for the rest of the world. Ending E is pretty fucked up, but it's only ending where the antagonist is actually defeated. Also, ending A was garbage, the only character who doesn't deserve it (probably) is the one that ends up suffering.

Another also: having a fully fantasy game end itself in modern day tokyo is a bit of a mind fuck.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Not that I mind, but we do have a Drakengard thread... Personally, my favorite ending is C(?), where
    Caim runs out to go murder some dragons in insane glee. Seems like the perfect cap to his story.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Mostly because it's batshit insane. Also because someone decided it was a good jumping off point for a video game series.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    https://youtu.be/oYfHmaVaRT4

Go about an hour and a half back, they were livestreaming Automata gameplay (with Taro!).

"The story is not connected".

8JBZTBy.jpg

Okay Taro. Sure.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Robot's junk is watching you.

• Options
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Probably because its the ending that directly causes the events of Nier to happen? :rotate:

or they like sudden rhythm battles, idk

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    It took me a while to decide if the player's attacks were having any effect at all. I'm still not entirely sure.

Everything looks spot on, though.

• Options
    Seems like some kind of debug build, I imagine it'll have damage effects(and an HP bar?) later.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Yeah, that'd make sense. This is the only game where I've ever seen the devs demonstrate combat by just opening a debugging mode and playing around with the spawner.

• Options
    It seems like they spawned that one monster in by accident (which is why he instakilled it so fast), it looked cool though.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    OMG FUCK THE GAME I WANT THE SOUNDTRACK!!!!!

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Probably because its the ending that directly causes the events of Nier to happen? :rotate:

Well it's just my understanding that it's the 'complete everything' ending. Feels really dickish for that to be your reward after many hours of work.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    OMG FUCK THE GAME I WANT THE SOUNDTRACK!!!!!

It's being composed by Keiichi Okabe, the same composer for NieR.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Maybe I should play this Nier game.

Though, that means I have to figure out who has my PS3 now and get it back.....

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Naphtali wrote: »

Well it's just my understanding that it's the 'complete everything' ending. Feels really dickish for that to be your reward after many hours of work.

Oh man... Did you see the boss fight that leads to that ending? That's Taro Yoko for you though. :hydra:
    Maybe I should play this Nier game.

Though, that means I have to figure out who has my PS3 now and get it back.....

You should! Unlike Drakengard, Nier is a legitimately good game and is worth playing.

If you have the time, reading through the Drakengard 1 LP by The Dark Id is worthwhile. The story of Drakengard is decent when you have some help understanding it (don't play the game though, the gameplay is terrible). While there are few connections between the games, my experience with Nier was improved by them.

Whatever you do though, avoid spoiling yourself on Nier. It has some things that are worth experiencing yourself.

LD50 on
  • Options
    I didn't dislike playing Drakengard 1, but I'm pretty much the only one alive who thinks that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Feels really dickish for that to be your reward after many hours of work.

It's a Taro Yoko game, yes.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    NieR Automatia announced for PC/Steam.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Feels really dickish for that to be your reward after many hours of work.

You have no idea... Wait until you 100% NIER

Not to say I think it's dickish. I think it's one of the most touching and visceral things accomplished in gaming in years, but yeah.

rpshoggoth on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Oh hell yes. It was to the point I was gonna buy a game for a system I don't own and bribe my Ps4 owning friends to give me time on their system. This is so much better.

But at this point, consider Xbone. Especially if FFXV sells at all there.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    hurray i don't have to buy a ps4

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

That has to be the best Steam announcement ever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dat superb music. I really hope the plot lives up to the last one. Maybe consider releasing the super important tie-in book here this time, if you do one, guys!

• Options
    Dat superb music. I really hope the plot lives up to the last one. Maybe consider releasing the super important tie-in book here this time, if you do one, guys!

If they don't, I expect there will be fans who will pick up the slack.

Also, this music is Nier to it's core.

• Options
    Wow.

TGS Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpCMOqFugi4

Popola and Devola.

To say the least.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Does it actually list their names?
    I was assuming it was another pair of clones that were part of the same set.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Does it actually list their names?
    I was assuming it was another pair of clones that were part of the same set.

Yes.

It's them. デボル & ‎ポポル.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I still bet it's not "them" them.
    probably Popola and Devola no.2 or some such. Clones, man, clones!

• Options
    Oh yes.

8T6fbQi.jpg
    2D still in effect.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    That's looking pretty "direct sequely" not an unconnected story in the same world like I'd assumed.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I like that there's a reason why the swords/weapons just float behind the player character now. :P

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, Emil's head is totally in that.

LD50 on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I still bet it's not "them" them.
    probably Popola and Devola no.2 or some such. Clones, man, clones!

Drakengard 3
    One of D3's endings did reveal that the time-travelling observer following Zero was a) an android and b) one of MANY copies of the same model.

And if you're like me and you have a pet theory that the new Drakengard timeline caused by a hyper-advanced city suddenly appearing was the result of all the magic testing that was happening on Earth during the immediate aftermath of Drakengard 1's E ending, then these things start looking very interesting

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Demo coming out the end of this year.

• Options
  • Options
    I love that we still have all the 2D and Isometric parts.