As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yo that trailer looks fuckin' dope

so I've never played Nier, and this seems like a standalone same-world, different story type thing, but dang I wanna play the first one now. What sorta game is it? I know it ain't Platinum, so how's the combat? Also, how long to beat? Am I looking at a hundred hours here? ;P

Nier is a great game. If you have the ps3 to play it on I'd 100% recommend it. The story and voice acting is amazing. It's the best script and voice work ever. The combat isn't anything to write home about, but it's still fun and the game isn't boring.

If the new game is like Yoko Taro's other works, playing the previous games is not strictly required but knowing the stories and characters will give you subtle appreciation for the small details. (Yes, games. Nier itself is technically a sequel to Drakengard 1's final ending.)

If you want to get the full story, there's a text based Let's Play that is widely regarded to be fantastic that you can read here. The same author has a LP of Drakengard 2, but that's vastly less required to enjoy the story of the future games. They also have an LP of Nier that is good, personally I read through it as I played Nier myself so I could get his POV on what was going on. He includes external info from translated Jap sources that aren't included in Nier that give some extra insight where it's useful.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So about that trailer.

It looks Revengance style weighty Platinum rather than Bayo/Korra ish.

And a crazy dodge that's kinda like Offensive/Defensive?

Hmmm yes give me all of it.

• Options
    So about that trailer.

It looks Revengance style weighty Platinum rather than Bayo/Korra ish.

And a crazy dodge that's kinda like Offensive/Defensive?

Hmmm yes give me all of it.

As a Nier sequel, I would expect it to be weighty.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Why do you sound like an orbital frame?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    My girlfriend watched me play the original Nier. We both have strong memories of that game.

We watched the trailer and she adores the robot design and the general design of everything. She really likes FF14 designs so that was a no brainer really.

Nier was actually a strange mix of weighty and non weighty.
    Take the great sword, you had these heavy slow ground attacks, but you could also jump into the air as free as a bird and come down on an enemy nigh instantly with this anachronistically fast helm breaker attack.
    The spear dash was another slightly out of kilter (in a good way) attack with the rest of the moves.

Looking at this game closely, it feels more free than revengeance. She has a double jump, for example, and her dash is chainable very fast.

I'm pleased to see they are keeping the bullet hell business. I can't wait to see platinum's take on that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    There is going to be a lot of rewatching this trailer in my future

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Why do you sound like an orbital frame, not-Yonah?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Cos she's from SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I hope they keep the multi-genre stuff they had in Nier.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I just hope this still has the quiet moments and towns of Nier 1. D3 was all action, and Platinum aren't exactly known for their rustic townships.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The game is being developed by Platinum, but afik it's still being directed by Yoko Taro.

If my understanding of things is correct, this is a bit of a perfect storm as Platinum is known well for their solid gameplay and Yoko Taro is well know for the insanity of his storytelling. Should be a match made in heaven.

• Options
    Also, I know I've said it before, but it's really fucking surprising that this game is even being made at all. I want this game so hard, but if you had told me it was going to exist before E3 this year, I would have laughed at you.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Also, I know I've said it before, but it's really fucking surprising that this game is even being made at all. I want this game so hard, but if you had told me it was going to exist before E3 this year, I would have laughed at you.

Wada gets shit on a lot by fans but apparently he's a big fan of Taro Yoko (how his name should be anglicised btw) and is the main reason why they continue to work with him now that he's basically a freelancer.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    hoUK4sZ.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Wada gets shit on a lot by fans but apparently he's a big fan of Taro Yoko (how his name should be anglicised btw) and is the main reason why they continue to work with him now that he's basically a freelancer.

I don't find it surprising because he's frelance (Square has been pushing a lot more externally developed titles recently, like LIfe Is Strange), but that Taro Yoko doesn't exactly have a good track record. While Nier is a fantastic game, it didn't see mainstream success, and the Drakengard series is 'niche' or 'cult' at best. It's good that he has Wada in his corner though, he's the kind of developer that I think the industry needs to be influenced by.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    skip the first minute if you dont speak german, but this interview is good

it has some uhh interesting questions

"given that nier didnt sell and platinum make cool games that dont sell why the fuck are square enix making this"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssD3wf5Kp9M

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wow, he had balls to ask that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Oh yes. They refused to comment on whether or not it's just PS4. Come on, PS3!
    (Or Vita, why not.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

"given that nier didnt sell and platinum make cool games that dont sell why the fuck are square enix making this"

I haven't watched this, but the appropriate answer is.

"We got FFXIV money FUCK AAAALL YA'LL"

• Options
    edited October 2015

I haven't watched this, but the appropriate answer is.

"We got FFXIV money FUCK AAAALL YA'LL"

The producer said he has pull from working on Dragon Quest, I think. Also, Square's current CEO is a big fan of Nier.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm just happy it's being made. I hope it doesn't hurt them too much though.

I'm still having a little trouble understanding how this matchup could possibly happen.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Hahahaha.

Taro, you magnificent bastard.
    Eurogamer article summary:
    - He feels his most popular stories were written while he was drunk.
    - He spent a lot of time angry with the dev team for Nier, and is impressed at Platinum's efficiency. Which he says frees him up to drink more, and thus write good stuff for the game.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/02/nier-automata-will-have-multiple-protagonists-costume-breaks-and-a-happy-ending/

“When looking at Yoko-san’s plot, it has some very happy ending-like content. On the contrary, the story is so good to the point where you’d like to ask him ‘is it okay for it to be this much of a happy ending?’ I really hope you look forward to that.”

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Don't trust it.

• Options
    2B’s skirt will begin to break after she takes a certain amount of damage. Beneath the skirt she wears a white leotard.

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Don't trust it.

"It's time to recognize me as a healing-type writer"-Gen Urobuchi

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Happy Ending?

Hahaahahahahahahaahaha, yeah right.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "The game is over and you can stop experiencing the nightmarish hellscape. See? Is Happy End!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I keep putting off trying Nier because there's no digital download option, and the physical discs only go up in price. I might finally try a service like Gamefly in order to give it a shot. I really want to try it. :bigfrown:

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I keep putting off trying Nier because there's no digital download option, and the physical discs only go up in price. I might finally try a service like Gamefly in order to give it a shot. I really want to try it. :bigfrown:

Wait a bit, and perhaps they'll start making the other games available for download. Didn't happen with Drakengard, but maybe they'll try to actually market it this time.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/02/nier-automata-will-have-multiple-protagonists-costume-breaks-and-a-happy-ending/

“When looking at Yoko-san’s plot, it has some very happy ending-like content. On the contrary, the story is so good to the point where you’d like to ask him ‘is it okay for it to be this much of a happy ending?’ I really hope you look forward to that.”

Yoko thought Nier had a happy ending. Don't trust him.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    The giant Living Machine shown in the trailer isn’t a boss, but a ‘kind of strong small-fry.” That one was relatively on the smaller side, but you’ll see some gigantic Living Machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDI4GZMVF0

Morninglord on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I really, really hope we see Facade in Nier 2.

The whole King of Facade plot was probably my favorite part of the story.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

CjrWctj.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Only because the Phoenix Foundation isn't around anymore.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    at least its a leotard and not a bikini or underwear
    honestly soon as i read "destructible skirt" i expected worse
    obviously i still wish it wasn't even a feature
    i was actually kinda impressed with how much clothing the main character wore. :/

Morninglord on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Happy Ending?

Hahaahahahahahahaahaha, yeah right.

I'm imagining two people in a room when the final cutscene plays. One who was only there for the last hour or so, since he was visiting a friend, one who played through from the beginning.

The visitor winces as the credits roll.

"Fuck. That was bleak."

The player turns to the visitor with a beatific smile.

"What are you talking about? That was the happiest ending I could imagine."

"Err..."

"I can loan you the game if you want. Trust me. It makes sense."

"If you say so. Look, left a pizza in the microwave. Mind if I..."

"Oh, right, sure."

The visitor goes to the kitchen. When he returns, his friend is hanging from the ceiling by a rope he could swear was never in the house before. His friend is still smiling, with eyes that have seen eternity and welcomed it.

Somewhere, Taro Yoko laughs, and no-one around him knows quite why.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Morninglord on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This sounds like 'totally a timed exclusive'.

JIKVIjI.png

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    This sounds like 'totally a timed exclusive'.

JIKVIjI.png

PS2 version confirmed.

wVEsyIc.png