As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post-E3 Discussion Thread: Stuff Happened, I Guess

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Do you think the lack of Nintendo products during E3 marks of the start of the dev teams moving to NX?

I kinda expected more Pokemon noise.

Honestly, I think people are reading a little too much into it. If we don't get any new Wii U game announcements by the time 2016 rolls around, then I'll definitely agree.

That said, Zelda is prob ably going to be their last long-term project, and everything else will probably launch within 9 months of announcement.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Well, one thing BC has going for it is Microsoft can pretty much pack in any previous games with their current gen sequels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Deus Ex MD comes with HR.

Which is actually a first for backwards compatibility and something I never really thought about before the announcement.

and we already have an example of this as Bethesda will be giving a free copy of Fallout 3 to those who buy(pre-order?) Fallout 4.

be interesting to see what other publishers follow suit and with which games/franchises. EA i think could do well by throwing in the first two Dragon Age games with Inquisition, a bonus for those that started with DA:I and maybe a lure for those not wanting to start with the latest in the series. Mass Effect could go a similar route too when ever Andromeda hits.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Well, one thing BC has going for it is Microsoft can pretty much pack in any previous games with their current gen sequels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Deus Ex MD comes with HR.

Which is actually a first for backwards compatibility and something I never really thought about before the announcement.

and we already have an example of this as Bethesda will be giving a free copy of Fallout 3 to those who buy(pre-order?) Fallout 4.

be interesting to see what other publishers follow suit and with which games/franchises. EA i think could do well by throwing in the first two Dragon Age games with Inquisition, a bonus for those that started with DA:I and maybe a lure for those not wanting to start with the latest in the series. Mass Effect could go a similar route too when ever Andromeda hits.

EA could do one better and make EA access include 360 games in the vault.

Which might be the plan considering BC isn't technically out yet, Mass Effect being the game they showed, and EA access beig free for gold members this week.

No I don't.
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Do you think the lack of Nintendo products during E3 marks of the start of the dev teams moving to NX?

Nintendo's kind of hard to predict, since their "it's finished when it's finished" philosophy has long given them feast or famine years.

But I wouldn't be shocked if they haven't shifted over to NX big time, since it's apparent nothing will stop the Wii U from selling horribly.

The only reason to buy a Wii U is for nintendo games which Nintendo fans have already done. I don't hold out much hope the NX can avoid the same fate no matter what spec it has. It needs a good first party library and third party support to compete against the PS4 and Xbox libraries which will be much bigger and entrenched when it comes out. Even with a good first party library and head start the Wii U couldn't compete against the ps4 and xbox on that alone.

Assuming they even try to compete in the home console market and don't go for a niche product. We don't really know anything about the NX.

danx on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Honestly, I think people are reading a little too much into it. If we don't get any new Wii U game announcements by the time 2016 rolls around, then I'll definitely agree.

That said, Zelda is prob ably going to be their last long-term project, and everything else will probably launch within 9 months of announcement.

I expect DLC here and there keeping the Wii U alive. Smash, Pokken, etc.

But BC will be the nail in the coffin.

It'll be fun seeing people get mad when they need to re-purchase for NX. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Regarding BC if the NX moves to a similar AMD x86 + gpu combo as the other two it'll be easier for third parties to work with but will likely not have BC compatibility for a while if at all. If they stick with the architecture they have they will have some kind of BC but make things more difficult for third parties. They're kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, things have gotten crazy enough in the AAA space that I don't expect the big third-parties to port over their stuff to NX, even if it has the same power as the other guys.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I agree. The Wii U was their chance to build some third party support but everyone pretty much abandoned it early on. Nintendo are going to have to rebuild their relationships and convince people to spend a lot of money adding yet another port for yet another time.

The NX could be their last shot at the home console market.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I don't think it helped the WiiU third party situation that most of the early ports were much older games that were 1/3rd the price on the PS360 by the time that they launched on the WiiU.

Or super silly things like selling Mass Effect 3 when you could buy the entire trilogy for the same price.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I don't think it helped the WiiU third party situation that most of the early ports were much older games that were 1/3rd the price on the PS360 by the time that they launched on the WiiU.

Or super silly things like selling Mass Effect 3 when you could buy the entire trilogy for the same price.

Yeah, Nintendo probably should have pressured them for something else.

No I don't.
  • Options
    danx wrote: »
    Regarding BC if the NX moves to a similar AMD x86 + gpu combo as the other two it'll be easier for third parties to work with but will likely not have BC compatibility for a while if at all. If they stick with the architecture they have they will have some kind of BC but make things more difficult for third parties. They're kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Given the low sales of the Wii U, I think if they were to nix BC in favor of shifting architecture, the NX would be the best time.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Yeah, Nintendo probably should have pressured them for something else.

Or EA could have gotten their head out of their ass. It takes two to tango on this. It's pretty clear that EA was out to screw Wii U over after they had their falling-out about Origin, whoever's fault the falling-out was. They're putting fucking FIFA *everywhere* else, including Wii and Vita...

I think the Wii U *was* Nintendo's last shot at getting major multiplatform support. It's gone and it isn't coming back, because NX will be Sisyphus trying to roll the boulder up the hill. You can't beat the PS4/1 now that they're so entrenched, so you would have to make a PS5 level device to get a lead on that generation, and Nintendo's not going to do that.

But Mr Khan, doesn't that mean Nintendo is screwed?

Not at all, son. The problem with Nintendo's software output has been the increased development times required by 3DS games. This now means that 3DS games take roughly as long as Wii games take to make, which isn't much less than what it takes to make Wii U games (given that most of Nintendo's stuff isn't super grand-scope). This has severely damaged their ability to carry their platforms solo.

The various rumors about NX have it being some form of convergence device. We'll see more Super Smash Bros 4 situations, or outright multiplats between the handheld and console versions. Only games flat-out too powerful for the handheld (say, the next Monolith Soft) or not designed for home consoles (Pokemon) will be exclusive to the one side or the other.

Convergence will assist in third party support slightly. Capcom's Monster Hunter for NX will have an up-rez version for the console for those who prefer it that way, like they did with MHTri U but not with MH4, notably. The Japanese stuff which 3DS currently commands but no-one makes for Wii U will get more crossover.

This still won't be enough to assist in the fact that they'll see about the same level of western third party support which they do now (licensed games and the odd casual game like Guitar Hero). I think in that case, Nintendo needs to get aggressive in forming more partnerships with indies like Shin'en. Find promising devs, give them favored status, and get them on games which fill out the niches Nintendo won't touch, like WRPG, RTS, and FPS.

A handful of new western studios on Nintendo's part couldn't hurt either, but these last two paragraphs are more wishful thinking. The rest is very likely what Nintendo's banking on. That and diversification coming from their new IP utilization, and mobile.

• Options
    edited June 2015

It worked for Sony and MS.

Edit: In all seriousness, my take on the NX is cautious optimism. Nintendo is undergoing some pretty radical changes, many of which involve them adopting certain industry standards (admiringly, many of which they should have adopted sooner, but it does show a stark change of mentality nevertheless). In fact, a good example of this is amiibos. Many people (myself included) thought that Nintendo was way too late to compete in the toys-to-life market and that amiibos were too low-impact to push units. And now the fucking things are selling like wildfire. Is this what will happen with the NX? Probably not (at least not on that scale). But I'm not one to believe in impossibilities. After all, if anything can be taken away from this year's E3, is that anything can happen. Of course, this could also just be wishful thinking my part. So *shrug*.

Whether it's a success or a failure, the NX is going to be one of the most interesting pieces of gaming history. That I can guarantee.

Zython on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I did a complete 180 on Super Mario Maker not because of E3 but because of the NWC.

Um.

Wasn't the Nintendo World Championship part of their E3 stuff?

Like, there was the NWC, then the digital event, then the Treehouse streams.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    I did a complete 180 on Super Mario Maker not because of E3 but because of the NWC.

Um.

I guess that depends on what you consider to be the start of E3?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Um.

I suppose. I guess I didn't consider it because it wasn't part of a traditional E3 presence.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ninendo seemed to consider it part of their E3, so that's one interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbvzyY1FKr0

edit:

Um.

I suppose. I guess I didn't consider it because it wasn't part of a traditional E3 presence.

that's fair enough.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So much for waiting until after the Batman bundle, this launches 15th July in PAL countries, so probably around the same time in NA:
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/06/22/new-1tb-ps4-ultimate-player-edition-launches-next-month/

18769698998_cc63691969_b.jpg

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I am wondering if Sony will try to make a proper PS3 emulator to combat Xbox BC or just stick with PS Now. Exclusives aside, it's the one thing Xbox Uno is doing right now that PS4 can't. Plus being able to freely redownload games I already bought is amazing. PS Now is almost universally panned at this point. I doubt Sony will give up the steaming stuff since they bought Gaikai for that express purpose. I am not sure if there's any good option for them in regards to backwards compatibility. Maybe they'll just ignore it?

I think of Playstation Now as something along the lines of Netflix for games, and just like Netflix, its future is original content. Eventually games streaming services will have to branch out of retro gaming. I imagine a future where services such as Playstation Now will offer experiences that can't be powered locally because of prohibitive cost. Experiences that are the equivalent of Netflix Originals, or what HBO shows are in comparison to basic cable shows. I don't know if you've ever seen the Shinra Tech Demo - but the potential of streaming technology goes far beyond rehashing old games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjZlbWBHF4

In regards to Backwards Compatability, sure, it's nice, but do I personally use it? Hardly. I think I replayed one original Xbox game on my 360 (Jade Empire), and I never finished the playthrough either. I think if I ever want to play an old game, it's not one I already own, but one that I want to discover for myself, because I heard somebody raving about it. For discoverability purposes streaming services like Playstation Now are way more convenient than having to hunt down physical copies. Let's say Playstation Now's library keeps expanding and will one day include 90+% of all PS1 and PS2 and PS3 games (and why stop there, there's no technical reason why it couldn't do Dreamcast games and 16-bit era SEGA games and whatnot). The only reason why not every old game could show up on PS Now are legal and business reasons.

As far as I see it, backwards compatibility is a breeze. It may fill Microsoft's sails a bit and add some minute momentum. Streaming technology is a major flippin' hurricane building up out at sea. Nobody really knows how bad it will get, but it will make landfall one day, and only in its aftermath will we see how much of the *Old World of Gaming* will withstand its fury. The day of streaming games might not come tomorrow, or the day after that, but it will come someday, and I'd wager it'll come before this decade is out.
    I am not sure what games would benefit from a streaming format really? Periodical games like Telltale stuff are already reasonably priced by season. Indie games flourish in the $5-20 range. And while video streaming is accessible, it's gonna be a long while before America/Europe even manage average speeds high enough to handle game streaming in HD. Most game streaming services have flubbed. While hunting for old physical titles can be tedious, I don't have to hunt for my 300+ game catalog from 360. It is all right there.

That's the thing, BC wouldn't be so huge for me on my One if I didn't already have so many games waiting for me to play; some I haven't even touched yet thanks to Games with Gold.
    I used BC on my 360 rarely because I had maybe 10 oXbox games and the BC was spotty at best. But on Xbone? All my games and cloud saves, achievements, working flawlessly with recording, screenshots, and streaming capabilities. And all for the price of $0. As soon as I could, I grabbed 10 of my old games and pinned pinned to my home screen. I can work on Geometry Wars or Hexic highscores or do splitscreen Perfect Dark with my brother.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man Sea of Theives looks so good, please be good, I imagine it's a long way off either way

Yes. Normally I'd just leave an agree for this but I'm really keen to hear more about this game and damnit it deserves people using words to say they're looking forward to it instead of just clicking a reaction button.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Jim's quisition today talks about post-E3 business, most notably the Shenmue business.

Edit: he set it to private due to some video issue. New link when it's re-uploaded.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So much for waiting until after the Batman bundle, this launches 15th July in PAL countries, so probably around the same time in NA:
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/06/22/new-1tb-ps4-ultimate-player-edition-launches-next-month/

18769698998_cc63691969_b.jpg

Im more excited for the all matte one:

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/150622_e.html

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Jim's quisition today talks about post-E3 business, most notably the Shenmue business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTdFNQz_xw

Sony isn't floating the bill? That doesn't sound too good for the game if true.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Some things to keep in mind with Nintendo and the NX:

1) Nintendo's been using the same architecture for its CPU and GPU since the N64. Their tools are very mature, at least internally, for those platforms. Moving to an entirely new architecture would not only break backwards compatibility (something Nintendo has not really done since the Game Boy Color on the portable side and the Gamecube on the console side), but it would also mean they'd have to completely redevelop their internal development tools from scratch. That takes a LOT of money, and is a hidden cost that doesn't often get reported.

2) Nintendo has no problem working with 3rd parties, as evidenced by the last few years of Nintendo crossovers and Bayonetta 2. The thing is, though, they won't subsidize development costs for multiplatform titles. Or, in other words, they won't pay for timed exclusives. The reason you see this practice increasing more and more is because development costs are skyrocketing for what are considered AAA games, and therefore it becomes a very risky venture to put one out. Developers, therefore, are trying to enter into a "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" with publishing deals, timed exclusives, and promotions. Sony and Microsoft play this game readily, as they can afford it. Nintendo doesn't. They'll court 3rd party developers, give them tools, give them exposure... but rarely do they do outright funding. So 3rd parties claim it's too hard to port (Because they aren't getting the money to do so from Nintendo), and then move on.

3) Nintendo is far and away the strongest, most prolific game publisher if you look across the entire spread of their products. Activision, Ubisoft, and EA are bigger on the software side, but they don't put out nearly as diverse a crop of games - and to maintain the output they do, they utilize multi-thousand member teams publishing games annually. Sony and Microsoft are bigger on the hardware side, but I don't think anyone can claim their 1st party lineups are as complete. They're all awesome, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Microsoft and Sony's consoles could survive on just 1st party offerings. Nintendo does that for not one, but two very diverse systems.

The flipside of this is that Nintendo is a 3rd party developer's biggest competition on a Nintendo system. Working in their shadow is not something any other companies want to do, especially when they can be lauded as the biggest flash Microsoft or Sony is gonna have this year.

All of this adds up to a tried and true statement:
    If you want to play Nintendo games, you'll need to buy a Nintendo system. If you want to play 3rd party games, you'll want to shop Sony or Microsoft.
    And this isn't going to change anytime soon, as long as Iwata & the current board are in control.

For many people, that's fine... The question becomes whether or not that is fine for Nintendo's shareholders long term, as they are all that matter in the end.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yeah, I haven't watched this video but I read that a little while ago. Initially everyone assumed that they would be funding the majority of it, but it's come out that they're not.

VlDInT8.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    so... my ambivalence toward Shenmue 3 and its crowdfunding has officially shifted into the negative.

Shenmue was an open world game. What the hell is a Shenmue 3 that doesn't make 10 million going to be? Why did they not say that up front?

That is the shit from a bull.

edit: nevermind that, how the hell are they even going to make this for $10 million? What other money is coming in to realistically fund their game? Disclosure now, Kickstarter. FFS.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    that is hilarious. I was so sure that this was one of those classic pre-order kickstarters that have a bunch of external funding secured from other partners if they could get the initial amount from crowdfunding.

If the sony rumors are true, what even is this.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    What the hell is a Shenmue 3 that doesn't make 10 million going to be? Why did they not say that up front?

As far as Sony's announcement on stage, probably for the sake of revealing a Holy Trinity, unsullied by asterisks.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Yeah, I haven't watched this video but I read that a little while ago. Initially everyone assumed that they would be funding the majority of it, but it's come out that they're not.

VlDInT8.png

That image isn't correct. It's been confirmed many times by Sony and YS that there's external funding sources including Sony.

At this point I think they're being outright deceptive.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So Sony literally advertised a kickstarter specifically to get the 'cool points' for reviving Shenmue when they technically aren't. So the three big huge announcements that 'won' Sony E3 were: A game that has been in development for 6 years already and still has a year or more before it'll finally be released, a remake of one of the most popular PS1 rpgs that still has a good two years of development to go (or more knowing Square), and a game that is barely into the planning stages because they technically don't have the funds to make it.

Kind of a bummer in retrospect.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Something tells me that, best case scenario, this new Shenmue will be a much smaller, narrower game than the previous ones.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Obi-Wan Kenobi: "This isn't the Shenmue you are looking for."

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That image isn't correct. It's been confirmed many times by Sony and YS that there's external funding sources including Sony.

Well like I said I'm at work and haven't been able to watch Jim's video. What's his source for saying that the funding is dodgy?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sony people and Yu came onstage to correct clickbait site misconception. The idea that Sony was always going to fund the whole game was never something they said or even implied.

What Sony is doing is funding the marketing for Shenmue 3. Which is sort of a huge deal! Development is not the only cost of a game.

• Options

Well like I said I'm at work and haven't been able to watch Jim's video. What's his source of the funding being dodgy?

The video's down. He's rendering out a new version.

I'm saying that that image itself is inaccurate. Several stories have quoted not YS and Sony folks stating there's external backers and that Sony is helping with production.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141291-Sony-Will-be-Involved-in-Marketing-and-Production-for-Shenmue-3

No I don't.
  • Options
    Sony people and Yu came onstage to correct clickbait site misconception. The idea that Sony was always going to fund the whole game was never something they said or even implied.

What Sony is doing is funding the marketing for Shenmue 3. Which is sort of a huge deal! Development is not the only cost of a game.

Nobody is stating that or implying that now. But the idea that even $10 million could fund an open world game on the same level as the first 2 is ridiculous. Broken age took at least $10 million when all was said and done.

No I don't.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

VlDInT8.png

Asking people for 2 million, then making a statement about how the game "truly won't be realized" unless you get five times that amount from people is rather deceptive and exploitative of people's passion, imo.

If we get X from the kickstarter our true backers will give us Y, and if the kickstarter gets us X*5 then they'll give an additional Y*2 too is all I'd like to see.

eta: the kickstarter itself says we're getting money from "other sources" too.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Nobody is stating that or implying that now. But the idea that even $10 million could fund an open world game on the same level as the first 2 is ridiculous. Broken age took at least $10 million when all was said and done.

I love Double Fine, but I don't think Tim Schafer is very good at being a businessman or keeping projects within the budget.

I think that Yu will, without question, seek other funding for Shenmue 3. And maybe the Kickstarter will make the financial risk seem lower. The fact that Sony is ponying up money only for the marketing/production side of things doesn't mean the game will end up being funded only through Kickstarter.

As usual, I'll wait and see what happens with the project. I don't see any particular need to get upset about the non-revelation regarding the game's funding.

• Options

I love Double Fine, but I don't think Tim Schafer is very good at being a businessman or keeping projects within the budget.

I think that Yu will, without question, seek other funding for Shenmue 3. And maybe the Kickstarter will make the financial risk seem lower. The fact that Sony is ponying up money only for the marketing/production side of things doesn't mean the game will end up being funded only through Kickstarter.

As usual, I'll wait and see what happens with the project. I don't see any particular need to get upset about the non-revelation regarding the game's funding.

There isn't a revelation. It's that at points they're trying to make people believe that the funding from kickstarter is the main funding.

It's not. It can't be with what they're promising. They've also said as much since the beginning. It's how they're presenting all of this that is shady. But I'm more accustomed to what broken age did, where there was some transparency every step of the way.

No I don't.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

The whole thing does highlight part of what's becoming an issue with crowdfunding, though: transparency. If I'm backing a project, I am literally an investor, and I expect to get full disclosure on how my investment is doing. This includes status updates and financial information. If there are other investors who may have an impact on the project, then I should know about it.

"I" here is "the crowdfunder", not me. I'm not backing that one. It's become clear to me that I'm content to wait for the final product after the rest of you fund it, but I'm pretty risk-averse.