Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    World of Final Fantasy
    Jars wrote: »
    That's alright cause you'd still get your weapon on week 3

can't get a weapon and an accessory. the choice is either chest+accessory or a weapon. it depends on class, because I think something like the sch book is itemized like doodoo

oh yeh you're right you'd be 15 off the accessory on week 3

even if the itemisation isn't good the weapon damage is the key stat. It's the best stat in the game for every job.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Other
    it's only 2 more weapon damage which is like... 14 main stat. if you don't have an alex chest I'd say it's worthwhile. conversely if you don't have a hive weapon then always get the weapon.

Jars on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    BRD at 60 has a new stance that adds cast times to all your abilities

This is the worst thing I have ever heard.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to get the chest next because the tank i190 chest is terrible and I have the good i190 pieces for tanking already.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I have no idea what stats are good or not. FFXIV doesn't really have a definitive resource for this sort of thing like WoW does in the form of Elitist Jerks or Icy Veins.

• Options
    World of Final Fantasy
    it's only 2 more weapon damage which is like... 14 main stat. if you don't have an alex chest I'd say it's worthwhile. conversely if you don't have a hive weapon then always get the weapon.

The increase for the weapon is twice as much as what the chest gives you based on current calculations.

1 WDmg = 11 main stat + 9 from the weapon itself vs the 15 from the chest.

Right now secondaries are at the point were they don't make that much of a difference at current gear levels so you're getting the most bang for your buck from main stat. Maybe next tier we'll see bigger increases so stuff like spell speed actually starts giving you decent reduction in spell cast times.

• Options
    Other
    from a scholar perspective det and crit are good stats while piety and spell speed are dud stats

the eso weapon naturally has piety+spell speed

• Options
    World of Final Fantasy
    Our SCH actually finds the piety useful cause Savage is really mana draining.

If you're not raiding savage then it matters less.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario

It's actually 22 plus around 9 from the chest, not counting secondary stats

Even if you have hive it's still 20 plus secondary's which is massive

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Also yoshi p on the now infamous moogle quests

Yoshida: Yeah.... That said, as you go through the quests there are so many where moogles get lost in the same situations over and over so I think people wouldn't even bother if it wasn't for the experience. We definitely didn't test it out enough.

Maybe they will turn into good memories one day.

Yoshida: No, I don't think so.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    I like hearing that from devs though: "yeah, sorry about that, that wasn't very fun. Bugger on us, huh?"

Javen on
  • Options
    Other

It's actually 22 plus around 9 from the chest, not counting secondary stats

Even if you have hive it's still 20 plus secondary's which is massive

you get more secondaries from chest+accessory, not weapon

• Options
    you get more but secondaries are worth a lot less than weapon damage and mainstats both plus you still get some on weapon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    World of Final Fantasy
    I can't wait till the third tier of savage and having ridiculous spell speed values

• Options
    Other
    going from 180 chest+ring to 200 chest+ring gets me 30 main stat, and about +50 in secondaries. going from hive weap to eso weap gets me +2 weapon damage, 9 main stat, and +16 in secondaries.

• Options
    World of Final Fantasy
    That's a bit skewed 2 items vs 1 item and they're 180 vs the 190.

A fairer comparison is 1 180 (ring) 1 190 (chest) vs the weapon.

You'd gain 7 main stat from the ring upgrade and 7 from the chest vs the 31 from the weapon.

• Options
    Other
    but it's not skewed. you can either afford one weapon, or one chest and one ring after 3 weeks. and you will at least have a 180 ring, possibly a chest(I still have 180 chest cause I was lazy with shafts)

• Options
    its a rare position though that someone would have i180 gear, no i190 ring, ravana ex weapons

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Also yoshi p on the now infamous moogle quests

Yoshida: Yeah.... That said, as you go through the quests there are so many where moogles get lost in the same situations over and over so I think people wouldn't even bother if it wasn't for the experience. We definitely didn't test it out enough.

Maybe they will turn into good memories one day.

Yoshida: No, I don't think so.

Thankfully due to dungeon running my DRK was able to skip the moogle sidequests. I was 57 and still doing the 54 part of the MSQ.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Other
    its a rare position though that someone would have i180 gear, no i190 ring, ravana ex weapons

you can only have one 190 ring.

and speaking of esoterics I need to figure out what job to spend my 1800 on. I was originally going to do ninja but it turns out a lot of movement starts to hurt my wrists. I need to see if I can get a controller set up that is tolerable, ninja isn't super skill heavy.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    This JRPG thread took a dark turn.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    100 new posts? Was there a game convention with a major press conference announcement?

Oh, 100 posts about FF14. I keep meaning to try that, but then I realize I have no free time ever.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Other
    never put a fee on glamour-style mechanics

let me play dress-up unhindered

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    100 new posts? Was there a game convention with a major press conference announcement?

Oh, 100 posts about FF14. I keep meaning to try that, but then I realize I have no free time ever.

At least it isn't 100 posts about Reco-ahem, ack, ahem. Excuse me.

FFXIV is really, really great. That's still something I say often because I'm still legitimately surprised it ended up this way.

Elder Scrolls Online crashed and burned yet somehow this do-over managed to be the only other MMORPG with a successful active subscription these days.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake

FFXIV is really, really great. That's still something I say often because I'm still legitimately surprised it ended up this way.

Elder Scrolls Online crashed and burned yet somehow this do-over managed to be the only other MMORPG with a successful active subscription these days.

This is a legitimate question to you (and the rest of the thread) and by no means meant to be snarky:

Do all MMOs count as jRPGs? Do Japanese MMOs count as jRPGs? Do they merely borrow some common elements, while being their own distinct genre and style of game?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    I would say no to the first and "it depends" to the second.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Closing in on the end of Fairy Fencer. I've long since realized how powerful magic is and now fights pretty much consist of Fang using Explosion, Tiara using Maelstrom, and Harley using Ground Thrust. Pair that with x2 damage World Building and things die. While I'm busy leveling Fairies right now, I intend to pair them with whichever Fairies have +Bonus to their elements and most importantly Post-Battle SP recovery. Then they'll be able to launch their nukes and nothing will ever get a turn. Even bosses are being chumped with this, I haven't gotten to use Fairize in several dungeons.

Madican on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2

This is a legitimate question to you (and the rest of the thread) and by no means meant to be snarky:

Do all MMOs count as jRPGs? Do Japanese MMOs count as jRPGs? Do they merely borrow some common elements, while being their own distinct genre and style of game?

No. Yes.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    XIV borrows a lot more than "some" common elements

But it's still very much distinct in plenty of ways. It's absolutely a jrpg. World of Warcraft is not.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    FF7 remake
    my impression was that FF14 was a fusion of FF11 and WoW, both of which got half their DNA from Everquest, making it... 50% an Everquest? in this poorly thought out parentage metaphor.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    14 is waaaaay more on the wow side than the 11 side

Waaaaaaaaay more

I honestly haven't really seen much.if any obvious carryovers design wise from 11 to 14, probably in part because the 11 team is still active last I heard.

Although, the story is starting to get good in the content I'm playing. Everything from the King Moogle Mog patch to where I am now has been pretty damn good. Everything before that was, at best, decently written from a mechanical perspective. The content ranged from boring to totally average to annoyingly predictable.

This was a bummer at the time because story was one of 11's strongest suits. But they're starting to bring the A game with 14 now.

• Options
    FF7 remake
    I mean it's a fusion of 11 and WoW in that they took the game design of WoW and the art design and FF theming of 11, but 11's gameplay wasn't that far from WoW's in the first place.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Other
    Final Fantasy 14 is a role-playing game made in Japan. Thus, it is a Japanese Role-Playing Game (JRPG).

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    What about Demon's Souls or Wizardry, Japanese RPGs copying Western RPGs?

What about Pier Solar? Or Off? They're as JRPG as you get.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    I would give the souls games their own subgenre, JARPG

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Nier 2
    Wizardy and Wizadry-like and dungeon crawler games have basically been taken over by Japan in this century. They make shit tons of them and the west makes almost none of them.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Wizardy and Wizadry-like and dungeon crawler games have basically been taken over by Japan in this century. They make shit tons of them and the west makes almost none of them.

on that note Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 is good

they got more than 1 save file now, they got a whole bunch of stuff that's real nice

i'd say it deserves its $50 price tag

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Is Pier Solar good?

It's on sale on PSN all the time

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Whoa

I actually just got pushed off the ledge by the Chocobo Eater for the first time

I just assumed it would be an instant game over, but there's a cutscene that I've apparently missed for 14 years

EDIT: What the hell...I've NEVER had an issue with the Chocobo Eater in the past but he's pushed me off the cliff three times in a row now. What the hell?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Nier 2
    Is Secret of Mana a JRPG?

Is Secret of Evermore?

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.