As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Hot Cocoa Yoshi is my spirit animal

ysDMCP5.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Hot Cocoa Yoshi is my spirit animal

ysDMCP5.jpg

What a great way to start a new page. :D

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I want to give Nintendo my money for that game but they won't let me!

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    What the hell? Is Yoshi's World of Wool and Wonder out now?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

In not-U.S., yes.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

In not-U.S., yes.

Just Europeland. Japan gets it in July, and NA in October.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm in not-usa! Though it's actual release date is tomorrow, best get that amazon order in now for the weekend :-)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    If anyone wants the amiibo but doesn't want the game, let me know and you can pay the difference (£15ish) and shipping and I'll order that version otherwise I'll be grabbing the standard version.

You have about 30 minutes to let me know :)

• Options
    If anyone wants the amiibo but doesn't want the game, let me know and you can pay the difference (£15ish) and shipping and I'll order that version otherwise I'll be grabbing the standard version.

I'll take it!

• Options

I'll take it!

Ok, I'll order now :)

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Ahhh why the delay?! I want to immerse myself in the cuteness!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      So the folks over at NeoGAF are claiming my Project Cars post from last night is all sarcasm.

If that's sarcasm, that's the worst attempt at sarcasm I've seen in a while.

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
      So the folks over at NeoGAF are claiming my Project Cars post from last night is all sarcasm.

If that's sarcasm, that's the worst attempt at sarcasm I've seen in a while.

"Oh shit! This might actually turn into a big thing...uh... it was sarcasm you guys! Hahaha... right? We're all pals here!"

I highly doubt that was sarcasm, and I really hope it has a decent negative impact on the developer. That was uncalled for, very shitty behavior.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    • Options
      MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
      It's hard to detect sarcasm in a text only medium, and that just looked like a guy being a dick.

Maybe there are more posts that show he was joking and those 3 were cherry picked to make him look really bad?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    • Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      The thread is 30 pages long and I'm not keen on reading all the way through it, but here's the link if you want to see if there's any "I'm joking guys, srsly." posts.

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      I read through that entire thread and there were some posts mentioning that it was supposed to be sarcasm but that's still no excuse. It was completely unprofessional.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      I could see the last one being sarcasm if you know the poster he was mocking had even remotely implied that
      that 2% garbage though that was very clearly serious.

I read the page and normal users were insulting the people who had created accounts to complain. Like I guess you need forum cred to have an opinion over there

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      I could see the last one being sarcasm if you know the poster he was mocking had even remotely implied that
      that 2% garbage though that was very clearly serious.

I read the page and normal users were insulting the people who had created accounts to complain. Like I guess you need forum cred to have an opinion over there

Really makes you appreciate the Penny Arcade forums.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      Beat world 2 - definitely more difficult compared to world 1, both in terms of platforming and with regards to finding all the collectibles.

I also just noticed that you don't need to collect everything in each world to unlock the bonus level, just all the flowers.

Edit: Aww, 3-1 is called Yoshi and Cookies. It's also the most adorable level ever.

Maz- on
    • Options
      Sweet Super Mario Maker has 100 premade courses

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Super-Mario-Maker-892704.html
      By connecting to the internet*, you can download and play courses created by other players from all over the world! There are also 100 courses included that you can play without an internet connection

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      edited June 2015
      Edit*

Mmm kay.

HallowedFaith on
      I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    • Options
      vamenvamen Registered User regular
      Zython wrote: »

In not-U.S., yes.

Argh are you serious? I thought it was out tomorrow for NA. I preordered yesterday under that assumption.

I am sad.

It's so weird to me when EU gets a release of something but not the US. I always wonder why they can't just ship us that version.

• Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      I have no idea what Project Cars is, so um.. I guess I won't buy the game I wasn't going to buy anyways? :P

That guy was a complete dick though. If that's a kickstarter thing, I wonder what the rule is regarding not delivering on a promise. Probably that the backer is screwed I'm assuming.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      Warlock82 wrote: »
      I have no idea what Project Cars is, so um.. I guess I won't buy the game I wasn't going to buy anyways? :P

That guy was a complete dick though. If that's a kickstarter thing, I wonder what the rule is regarding not delivering on a promise. Probably that the backer is screwed I'm assuming.

It wasn't funded through Kickstarter, it was privately crowd sourced. So they're fucked.

skeldare on
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      vamen wrote: »

In not-U.S., yes.

Argh are you serious? I thought it was out tomorrow for NA. I preordered yesterday under that assumption.

I am sad.

It's so weird to me when EU gets a release of something but not the US. I always wonder why they can't just ship us that version.

It's their way of making it up to us for all the other times this happens the other way round :)

Also 100 courses is great news for Mario Maker. Are they going to have regular 'Nintendo' levels? Maybe a challenge like Spelunky, but perhaps monthly? Or will there be a Nintendo spotlight highlighting the best of the best?

The part I found awkward in LittleBigPlanet was finding good levels, quite often I'd just do text searches and mostly just find remakes of Mario 1-1.

• Options
      vamenvamen Registered User regular

In not-U.S., yes.

I am sad.

It's their way of making it up to us for all the other times this happens the other way round :)

Also 100 courses is great news for Mario Maker. Are they going to have regular 'Nintendo' levels? Maybe a challenge like Spelunky, but perhaps monthly? Or will there be a Nintendo spotlight highlighting the best of the best?

The part I found awkward in LittleBigPlanet was finding good levels, quite often I'd just do text searches and mostly just find remakes of Mario 1-1.

These days it should never happen anymore! I certainly sympathize when it happens to you good folks though. I don't enjoy being on this end of it either...I need some cute yarn Yoshi, STAT!

• Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      Theres some weird stuff in maker like lava not ohkoing you that I hope they fix.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited June 2015
      Theres some weird stuff in maker like lava not ohkoing you that I hope they fix.

Simply put a ceiling of invisible blocks just above where the player's head would be after touching the lava. More hilarious than an OHKO too!

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Are you talking about that one level you might have seen in the previews, that had Yoshi walking on it among other things?

Upon closer look, it appeared to be those black snapping plants placed in the lava, so technically you were touching them first.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      Beat the special level in the second world.

Holy fucking shit

I'm really, really glad that I 100%'ed it on my first try so that I never ever have to play that level again.

Edit: At least I got a cool design for Yoshi out of it.

Maz- on
    • Options
      WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

In not-U.S., yes.

I am sad.

Look, it simply takes a lot of time to knit angry eyebrows into every yarn Yoshi.

• Options
      Pretty interesting interview with Reggie:

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-on-yo-kai-watch-amiibo-supplyexclusivespre-orders-toys-to-life-partnerships-more/#more-207484
      On Yo-Kai Watch…

Reggie Fils-Aime: Nintendo is quite involved. This is a game that literally sold millions in Japan, and it helped drive a lot of hardware especially with younger kids. So we view this as a very strategic title for us. The team at Level 5 is driving a lot of the localization. We’re playing a bit of a consultation role, but we’ve had a lot of deep conversations around the need for the anime to be out in the marketplace, and to establish the importance of key partnerships in the toy space.

We believe this game could be a very strong hardware driver for us, especially with younger consumers. We think the pairing of this game, especially with our 2DS business, can be quite strong. And we’re very excited about it coming this holiday.

Fils-Aime: We’re working on the timing. I would not say that it’s all going to happen together. The toys especially are a long lead-time. That’s something that has challenges from a timing standpoint. But the goal is to sequence the anime on broad scale TV, the game, and the toys as a one, two, three-type of implementation.

On whether Yo-Kai Watch will remain 3DS/Nintendo exclusive for the next few years…

Fils-Aime: The partnership is very strong with Level 5. I think the Level 5 team has seen how Nintendo creates the handhelds of choice, especially for younger consumers. I think for both companies there’s a clear belief that this has the potential to be a strong, long-term relationship much like we’ve done with Pokemon.

On how Nintendo can convince Level-5 to keep Yo-Kai Watch on Nintendo platforms versus smartphones…

Fils-Aime: Here’s the reality: There’s not a lot of five to seven year-olds walking around with smartphones. Even in the tablet space, mom and dad might hand over their tablet for short periods of time. But with this game, much like with any battle-trade-share type of game, the kid consumer is going to spend a lot of hours. The benefit of doing that on a dedicated device is very strong.

On why Nintendo didn’t talk about mobile gaming at E3…

Fils-Aime: E3 is a console gaming show. And I say that despite all of the mobile entrants that are here. I say that despite mobile content that a number of publishers show. Like many folks, I watch a lot of the conferences. And you can hear the groan when a particular company talks about mobile in their presentation. That’s not what the media and the attending consumer at the show really want to hear about. And so that’s why we’re focusing on console gaming here. We’re focusing on our Wii U business and on our 3DS business. There’s going to be lots of opportunities to talk about mobile, NX, and our IP expansion. We just don’t feel that it’s the proper venue to do that at the show.

Fils-Aime: What I’m saying is that, from Nintendo’s perspective, at E3 we want to focus on console gaming – handheld and home console – and, in our view it’s best to focus on a tight window, essentially from now until early 2016. That’s our mentality. I’ll grant you that it’s a different approach than other people take. People will come to this show and showcase concepts that aren’t going to hit the marketplace for three years. This is not what we believe in.

On Nintendo’s digital business vs. retail business…

Fils-Aime: Here are a number of points. First, our digital business is growing very strongly. That’s because the content that we offer in our eShop goes beyond simply what you can get at retail. Yes, we have what we call dual-distribution titles. These games are sold through the eShop and retail. But we also have Virtual Console, which is content you could only get through the eShop. And we also have content specifically designed for the eShop that you can’t get anywhere else. That combination has created a very effective, growing business for us.

Second point: both the Wii U and 3DS, in the Americas, are effectively 100% connected devices, meaning the consumer has setup a [Nintendo Network ID]. They connect to a Wi-Fi network. For us, that’s a very effective means of not only driving our eShop business, but also driving a number of other ways we connect with our consumer. GamePad alerts are one example. The level of connectivity is the strongest in the Americas. That’s something that, from a business standpoint, we can drive very effectively here.

The third point is that the actual sell through of physical versus digital really depends on the game. Let me give you two examples. A very large percent of Animal Crossing, and in that same genre Tomodachi Life, sold digitally. Why is that? Well these are games that the consumer wants to always have with them. They want the five to ten minute opportunities to open it up, visit the island, and do something fun. They don’t want to deal with swapping out game cards. It’s a very quick experience.

On the other hand you have games like Super Smash Bros. The Smash Bros. player does not want to invest literally 100-plus hours and, even in the back of their mind have a sense that something might go wrong and lose the time invested. Not that it would happen, because our systems are very robust. But what I’m talking about is what’s going on in the minds of that consumer. And so the digital percent for Smash Bros. both on Wii U and 3DS is lower than average.

We’ve learned that it is game-by-game how the digital percent equates. We’ve gotten to a point where we can estimate pretty effectively what that mix is gonna be.

Fils-Aime: If you look at our annual report, it shows the progression of our digital business. If you do the math, roughly, it shows that digital revenue is about 20% of the total. So 20% is the average. Animal Crossing, for example, is north of 30%. A game like Smash Bros. is less than 15%.

On the amiibo supply situation…

Fils-Aime: It really has been a production challenge. There’s two parts to that. Certainly in the holiday season, and specifically here in the U.S., we were challenged by the port situation, of literally getting the product off the boats, into our warehouse, and then back out into retail. More recently, it’s been a pure demand issue. The ports are open, we’re getting all the product in, but demand has been exceeding supply.

We made a commitment to our consumers that we would do better and we would bring more, globally, and we’ve done that. Just here in the United States, over a roughly 30 day time period during the launch of the most recent wave, we’ve sold through over a million units of amiibo. A million units of amiibo in about a 30 day timeframe. You don’t do that without managing your supply and getting a lot more product out into retail. So we’re making progress. We know that for certain amiibo that we launched during waves 1 and 2, that those continue to be scarce, and we’ve made the commitment that we will resupply those, and we will.

We want the consumer to be able to find the amiibo they want. We’d love for the completionists out there to have every single amiibo and we’re working hard to enable that to happen.

On the resupply for amiibo…

Fils-Aime: The fact is that the replenishment happens on a continual basis. Effectively, it’s happening now, as we put more various amiibo in the marketplace. We announced about a week ago that Wii Fit Trainer was out on the marketplace and it was. It quickly sold through so we have more coming in. We want to make sure that every consumer who wants a particular amiibo is going to be satisfied to the best of our ability.

On retailer-exclusive amiibo…

Fils-Aime: It is. I want to be clear on this: when we do a retailer exclusive, as we resupply, it’s gonna continue to be exclusive with that retailer. That’s a commitment that we’ve made to that business partner. So yes, we’ll be bringing in more of those retail-exclusives over the next number of weeks and months.

On amiibo pre-orders…

Fils-Aime: We’ve shared with retailers the things that we’ve seen in terms of consumer frustration. We’ve certainly given them some of our thoughts, but in the end, this is for the retailer to execute. So, I hear your point. Our role as the manufacturer and the IP holder, if you will, is to share that feedback as clearly and directly to our retail partners as we can and we’ve been doing that.

On how Nintendo seems to have a lot on its plate between Wii U, 3DS, NX, mobile gaming, Universal theme attractions, etc…

Fils-Aime: So rest assured that we are driving all of these initiatives. The one element maybe that consumers don’t necessarily have a sensitivity to is that before we make an announcement about a particular initiative, work has been going on behind the scenes for an extended period of time. It’s not like the day we make an announcement, we’re like, “Let’s get some work done!” So from that standpoint we’ve been putting resources against all of these initiatives for quite some time.

The best example of this is the new Research & Development center that went up in Kyoto. That building is already quite full with developers. Developers working on all of these projects as well as others. So we are committed to bring each of these initiatives in a way that surprises and delights our consumer. In typical Nintendo fashion, we’re going do it when we feel it’s appropriate.

On whether Nintendo could do a partnership with something like Disney Infinity…

Fils-Aime: There are a number of different things that we can do, there are a number of different things that we’re talking with different business partners about. We have nothing to share here, but to your general question, is Nintendo prepared to partner with the right company to do unique and compelling experiences for consumers? The answer is yes. We’ve got a history of doing that.

On Nintendo’s successes/what they could improve on in terms of the Digital Event…

Fils-Aime: First is that the Digital Event is one tactic, one of many tactics, and I would encourage us all to look at E3, at least from Nintendo’s perspective, as the series of events that we’ve executed over the last couple weeks, starting with the Mini Direct, where we highlighted a number of key 3DS games that we wanted to make sure would not be overshadowed if we simply introduced them today.

Case in point, Chibi-Robo! – people are very excited to play that game. Personally, I really enjoy playing that game. Something like that, with its charm – in our view – had the risk of being lost. Communicating games in advance of E3 was a key tactic for us. What we did on Sunday with Super Mario Maker, we thought was very strategic. Certainly, the excitement we’ve created for that title is palpable. That was a key thought process. Then you look at the Digital Event and how we showcased Yoshi’s Wooly World, Mario Maker, Star Fox… we think that was very effective.

In terms of opportunities for improvement… there are games where you need to have hands-on time to really appreciate. Certainly, Metroid Prime: Federation Force is one of those types of games. We anticipated that consumers would say “Where’s Samus?” and “Where’s my traditional Metroid Prime game?” We anticipated that. As I walked the floor and talked to people who were playing Blast Ball, they’re loving it. They’re excited about it, they’re excited about the controls. One of our challenges at Nintendo, always, is how do we communicate the charm and appeal of a game to people who don’t get a chance to play it? It’s always a challenge. I say with Federation Force, we may have fallen a little short in communicating what the charm is of that game. Good news: we’ll have lots of other opportunities to address that and get people to experience it hands-on. We think they’re gonna come away in the end feeling like it’s a lot of fun.

• Options
      And so that’s why we’re focusing on console gaming here. We’re focusing on our Wii U business and on our 3DS business. There’s going to be lots of opportunities to talk about mobile, NX, and our IP expansion.

Hmm...

• Options
      pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
      And so that’s why we’re focusing on console gaming here. We’re focusing on our Wii U business and on our 3DS business. There’s going to be lots of opportunities to talk about mobile, NX, and our IP expansion.

Hmm...

Eh.... that probably doesn't mean much.

Maybe.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
      Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
      G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    • Options
      SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
      funny that they keep thumping that port strike excuse, even though none of those sold out amiibo were restocked in stores after the strike was resolved

• Options

Hmm...

Eh.... that probably doesn't mean much.

Maybe.

He might be trying to throw us off? 2016 is going to be a VERY interesting year.

• Options
      The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      I read that as "The Wii U and 3DS are now and we're gonna focus on them now. There'll be time to talk about the future stuff in the future."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options
      Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
      I read that as "The Wii U and 3DS are now and we're gonna focus on them now. There'll be time to talk about the future stuff in the future."

Yeah, they already let slip that the NX is a console, and likely incorporates a home console.

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Went to lunch today, saw Reggie and Bill. Just another day at the office.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      Went to lunch today, saw Reggie and Bill. Just another day at the office.

Stop looking in the mirror, Reggie!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills