As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It is always hilarious to watch others practically trip over themselves to "Me too" something Nintendo is doing. Like when Sony gave Lair 3 weeks to cram in motion controls. Not to mention the complete and utter busts both Move and Kinect were.

Well, Kinect was a success in that it caused 360 sales to accelerate dramatically for a year.

It wasn't a success in that Microsoft did diddly-shit with it and customers eventually wised up.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think a unified OS and software lineup would be my next favorite option to a single dual use console/handheld hybrid. Design the games to run on the handheld at a bare minimum, then the console version would use the extra horsepower for higher resolutions (video output and textures), smoother framerate, and maybe some fancier rendering effects that would otherwise be disabled in the portable version.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Weird thing was Nintendo abandoned analogue triggers after the Gamecube.

Fun, random side-fact: as a Nintendo-only gamer, i thought clickable thumbsticks were just shoddily-constructed controllers on the PS and Xbox and my PC. Until they were mentioned as a feature of the gamepad, i thought they were just a manufacturer defect.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    But it is the nature of the industry these days. Occulus Rift -> Morpheus. Google Glass -> SmartGlass. Wii U Gamepad -> Smartglass -> Vita play (though admittedly I think those were being simultaneously developed).

The Move controller was also "in development" before the Wii Remote unveiling, there's a lot of experimentation going on behind the scenes. They also only started talking about move stuff after the Wii was a proven success.

I think the glut of second screen stuff in the wake of the Wii U announcement was Microsoft and Sony trying to not be behind Nintendo once more and once the dust settled and second screen absolutely failed to catch on they quietly moved on.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    But it is the nature of the industry these days. Occulus Rift -> Morpheus. Google Glass -> SmartGlass. Wii U Gamepad -> Smartglass -> Vita play (though admittedly I think those were being simultaneously developed).

The Move controller was also "in development" before the Wii Remote unveiling, there's a lot of experimentation going on behind the scenes. They also only started talking about move stuff after the Wii was a proven success.

I think the glut of second screen stuff in the wake of the Wii U announcement was Microsoft and Sony trying to not be behind Nintendo once more and once the dust settled and second screen absolutely failed to catch on they quietly moved on.

Yeah, Sony was doing remote play last gen with the PSP (admittedly not super well) and Move was probably conceived sometime after the Eyetoy camera came out. (You know, the Kinect before it was Kinect) So Nintendo isn't first with everything. :P

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh, agreed, but perception is everything. Nintendo likes being the innovator, so they don't announce their skunk works until they have to.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Smartglass is still allegedly a thing, but you never hear about anyone actually using it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Maybe not too far off from TVii in that respect. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yoshi's Woolly World? So cute.

So damn cute.

I've only played through the first stage and I was overwhelmed with cuteness, my little girl (2) just sat there staring at it occasionally saying "Where has Yoshi gone?" when I went through a hidden area and he vanished off screen.

As a 2D platform-aholic the WiiU caters to me perfectly.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    If Nintendo just fucking sold them directly then we wouldn't be in this mess. I don't know why they are trying to cater to the retailers when they don't give a fuck about them.

they do sell them directly

...if you live within driving distance of NYC

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I think a unified OS and software lineup would be my next favorite option to a single dual use console/handheld hybrid. Design the games to run on the handheld at a bare minimum, then the console version would use the extra horsepower for higher resolutions (video output and textures), smoother framerate, and maybe some fancier rendering effects that would otherwise be disabled in the portable version.

To be honest, I don't know if they plan to do too many cross-platform titles like that. That said, a unified OS is an inevitability. They've talked about merging portable and console development, which makes such extremely likely.

One of the biggest thing that's hampered Nintendo this generation is how they've had trouble balancing portable and console development. Rather than getting a steady stream of games on both formats, we get a glut of software on one, and a drought on the other; and swaps every year or two. People don't really remember the 3DS's shitty launch, but I feel that's what led to a huge drought on both the late Wii and early Wii U. A unified OS can make striking a balance much simpler.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Okay, it's time for an extension to my stupid NX theory about the NX Travel and NX Home (see Dirty's post above): NX Travel is a Wii U gamepad-sized tablet. It's technically an independent system, but has a connective mode in which it accepts streaming output from the NX Home, enabling back-compat with Wii U games or off-TV play.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I feel like voicing my hopes and dreams for the NX will inevitably result in my disappointment, so I am very wary to say anything, but I will say that I REALLY HOPE it has Cross-Platform Purchasing (and SAVES?? even if I have to sync it at home instead of a more obvious and convenient cloud-based solution) for things like VC and Indie Games, and the unified home-console OS rumors make it seem like it would be incredibly easy.
    Kupi wrote: »
    Okay, it's time for an extension to my stupid NX theory about the NX Travel and NX Home (see Dirty's post above): NX Travel is a Wii U gamepad-sized tablet. It's technically an independent system, but has a connective mode in which it accepts streaming output from the NX Home, enabling back-compat with Wii U games or off-TV play.

I'd prefer something smaller for my portable console, but this sounds much more reasonable than what some people have been suggesting. Then again, it doesn't seem too far flung from what PS4/Vita offers right now, but I think that PS4/Vita stuff is actually really cool (conceptually, I haven't gotten to play around with both together yet).

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh well hey, I live in driving distance from nyc. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

To be honest, I don't know if they plan to do too many cross-platform titles like that. That said, a unified OS is an inevitability. They've talked about merging portable and console development, which makes such extremely likely.

One of the biggest thing that's hampered Nintendo this generation is how they've had trouble balancing portable and console development. Rather than getting a steady stream of games on both formats, we get a glut of software on one, and a drought on the other; and swaps every year or two. People don't really remember the 3DS's shitty launch, but I feel that's what led to a huge drought on both the late Wii and early Wii U. A unified OS can make striking a balance much simpler.

Yeah, if Nintendo's resigned to no third party support it's in their best interest to only have one development target instead of two.

The *new* 3DS could even be a bit of a test to see how development and the market responds to stratified power with an otherwise very similar device.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Yeah, if Nintendo's resigned to no third party support it's in their best interest to only have one development target instead of two.

The *new* 3DS could even be a bit of a test to see how development and the market responds to stratified power with an otherwise very similar device.

I wouldn't say they've resigned themselves, so much as courting 3rd parties without streamlining in-house development would be putting the cart before the horse.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options

Hell, it helps with the 3rd parties as well. If you make all of the 3rd party games on the 3DS magically playable on the WiiU you stumble upon a MUCH more attractive library.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Classic Controller used them.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Classic Controller used them.

Classic Controller had a mechanism for analog triggers but the controller actually only treats them as digital buttons. There is no way for software to use them as analog.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I kinda wish that more games got Move controls. Tech wise, it's Wiimote Motion Plus, only way better. But the fact that Sony was doing follow the leader when people were becoming exhausted with motion controls and didn't launch a system with them didn't do them favors. It was doomed to fail from the start.

But at least I got Time Crisis/House of the Dead, Resident Evil 5, Infamous 2, and the No Mo Heroes 1 remake out of it.

Not to mention that the Wii came out with MotionPlus before the Move came out and thus finally for once had actual motion controls that didn't suck and were actually fun instead of waggle. Not that it was actually used much at all, but the fact that Skyward Sword used it and had non-shit motion controls was enough for me.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Cool, but I don't really need to buy it a third time.

Or I guess fourth if you count the Master Quest version that came with Wind Waker.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    How many fucking times do they expect me to buy this game?

*Opens wallet*

But no seriously, this would be.. number 5.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Don't think I could play the original again after the amazing 3DS version.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah. I have the 3DS version. I'm good.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I've been getting the WiiU upgrades for all my old Wii VC games as available, but I agree that it'd probably go unplayed with the 3DS version available.

Now if they wanted to port that version and make it OOT HD ...

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'd pay for the upgrade if it was the original version with fire temple chants and Ganondorf's bloody sneeze.

But I know they'll never do that.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm sorta banking on the idea that once Nintendo gets their long-promised account system up and running, there'll be discounts for games you already bought on Wii U, just like how there are discounts for games you already bought on Wii.

Of course, if that ends up not happening, I'll feel pretty silly indeed.

Still, I like to support my favorite games. I'm a strong believer in the "vote with your wallet" principle. A lot of us ask Nintendo to bring long-running series back to their roots, or even bring revive series that are already dead. But how often to we express that position financially?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm kind of annoyed with them bringing Star Fox back to its roots, actually. That root was fine, but we don't need to re-plant it again. We had trunk and one or two nice-looking branches going.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm kind of annoyed with them bringing Star Fox back to its roots, actually. That root was fine, but we don't need to re-plant it again. We had trunk and one or two nice-looking branches going.

Well, choosing not to buy something is also an important part of voting with your wallet. 8-)

• Options
    Repeating the Andross story again isn't bad enough to make me not want to get it. I'm just annoyed by the decision. I liked Assault.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I wonder if the new Star Fox tree will grow in a non-fanfictiony direction (I'm looking at you, Star Fox Command). Will Krystal still be a part of the new series?

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I wonder if the new Star Fox tree will grow in a non-fanfictiony direction (I'm looking at you, Star Fox Command). Will Krystal still be a part of the new series?

Not very likely. This first game is Andross again, so it's before Krystal would join.

If Krystal does join eventually, we won't know for another game or two.

And Geth is mocking me.

Enlong on
  • Options
    "Miyamoto, what's Star Fox Zero?"

"Well, it's not quite a sequel and it's not quite a prequel, but man... (Laughs). So, to answer your question, I don't know."

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    "Miyamoto, what's Star Fox Zero?"

"Well, it's not quite a sequel and it's not quite a prequel, but man... (Laughs). So, to answer your question, I don't know."

Your avatar is the perfect reaction for that sentence.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Enlong wrote: »

Not very likely. This first game is Andross again, so it's before Krystal would join.

If Krystal does join eventually, we won't know for another game or two.

And Geth is mocking me.

That's what I'm saying. This is the start of (hopefully) more Star Fox so I am just wondering aloud where they plan to go. Especially since there is no Rare around anymore to take a game from and shoehorn Star Fox elements into.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    Honestly, I think the real answer is that Miyamoto doesn't care about continuing plots and, were he to have his way, would essentially just be making remakes of every game each time he wants to make a new installment.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    No, he doesn't care for plots. Period. He does not want stories in his videogames.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    TDawg wrote: »
    Honestly, I think the real answer is that Miyamoto doesn't care about continuing plots and, were he to have his way, would essentially just be making remakes of every game each time he wants to make a new installment.

As I recall he was responsible for the lack of story in Mario Galaxy 2. The Rosalina storybook moments were one of my favorite things in the first Galaxy, something Yoshiaki Koizumi essentially slipped past Miyamoto. If he had his way, Galaxy would have been a lesser game.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --