As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] - Swipe Left on COVID-19, and then wash your hands!

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I got one of those just after I signed up, before I added anything to my profile. I'm in AZ and this "person" is in WY. I assumed it was either pay to see naked pics, or pretend girlfriend send me money. Only one I've gotten so far though, and really easy to spot.

I am looking for a new friend, would you like to text? I am in Tucson now. My number is 1234567, text me if `y ou like,
    I have private pics.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    That is pretty much word for word the message I got.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Yeah, mine too. Though the bot was claiming North Carolina and i'm in PA.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Yeah, mine too. Though the bot was claiming North Carolina and i'm in PA.
    *updates code* See if it's more location appropriate now?

...dammit, I gave my bots away again didn't I?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Had a longer talk tonight about exclusivity with one of the people I'm seeing. I feel like... man. I like them a lot. I like all of them a lot, though. I want to do right by all of them. There are no weed-out conditions, you know? There's no like "oh they'd be perfect except..." They're all great people I want to make sure are feeling great.

But I just got out of a "my entire adult life" relationship. I don't want to start being exclusively attached to another person a month into my experience being single. And I mean I really like these people, but there's no future where I can make all of them happy by being with them exclusively. So I need to focus on right now.

But anyway, the person I spoke to tonight said that as long as we check in and update, they're cool with it. I'm seeing people once a week, and I'm making certain to let everyone know what is going on.

It's complex. But I'd rather deal with complexity and honesty than going behind anyone's back just because it was less awkward for me personally. Also frankly they all seem to be willing to put up with complexity in order to kiss my extremely cute face after I've finished cooking for them.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Just make sure you're on the same page.

My dad recently broke up with this girl he was kinda seeing for about 2 years (lots of favors were done for each other, we helped rearrange furniture in her house, she introduced me to her daughter that worked at a state agency and put my name forward after I submitted my paperwork, my dad spent some time with her adult son), but she told him that she was still kinda seeing other people as well so my dad broke it off.

I mean I can understand his reasonings and where he's coming from though.

I do have a much better follow up story that I'll post later though.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Good date. Conversation was a little on the superficial side, but i found out a fair bit (turns out she's Nepalese, though you couldn't tell from talking to her. Only emigrated about 9 years ago). Impressed a little with some of my knowledge of other countries. She took me off into the park near where we met, walked, talked, milkshakes.

Should probably text her now, no?

• Options
    That's lovely!

And yeah, thank her for a nice night out!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Did an hour+ ago. Now comes the waiting. If not, hey, at least i got one date this summer...

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Date tonight with one of the lovely people I'm seeing! Pizza and beer at an awesome local place followed by hanging out, followed by doing a Pluto Time photo, followed by more hanging out!

I still get like, super nervous beforehand. Then for the first 5 minutes I'm like oh man wait what if we don't have anything to talk about oh gosh

edit: it was great and we have so many things to talk about!

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    Huh, it appears my weekend is a bit stuffed for even asking her out again. Going on this special 5k thing (really just one long dance party) on Saturday night which requires me to go out and get my participant materials at some store in BFE on Friday night, and god knows how long that will take with traffic and any lines.

A good looking event was available Friday evening as well. Drat.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just got back from my first date in many years. A pretty great person who likes dancing and every geeky thing but the one I do for a living found me on OKCupid and we had coffee and frozen yogurt and chocolates while she hid under an umbrella to dodge the sun. Seeing her again on Friday at a particularly pleasant club to have company at. <3

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/14/plentyoffish-reeled-in-by_n_7793124.html
    Meanwhile, in business news. PoF is now under The Match Group's control. They also own Match.com, OKC, and Tinder.

I thought these were all competing sites, I didn't realize one company was running almost the whole show. It's kinda weird that a complete shit show like Match.com is owned by the same people that run the perfectly fine and generally well recommended OKC. I wonder what their long term goal here is.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Everyone married, of course.

• Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    Date tonight with one of the lovely people I'm seeing! Pizza and beer at an awesome local place followed by hanging out, followed by doing a Pluto Time photo, followed by more hanging out!

I still get like, super nervous beforehand. Then for the first 5 minutes I'm like oh man wait what if we don't have anything to talk about oh gosh

edit: it was great and we have so many things to talk about!

Hahaha. Nothing to talk about is still, and will always be, my number one fear. But with the right one, there's no such thing. Even a shared silence can be kind of magical.

Had a second date (the curse of only 1st dates is lifted!) last weekend. Another 9.5 hours together, same as the first. I really adore this girl. We played Tekken and Rainbow Six and I didn't have to let her win or hand her any kills.

The excruciating part? She's only just back on the dating market and doesn't want to commit again right away. She's scared of falling in love too quick and wants to take her time and make sure she makes the right choice. Fair enough.

Another rejection is a scary prospect, especially when it's from someone who very clearly likes me. But hey I like her and am not afraid to tell her that.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/14/plentyoffish-reeled-in-by_n_7793124.html
    Meanwhile, in business news. PoF is now under The Match Group's control. They also own Match.com, OKC, and Tinder.

I thought these were all competing sites, I didn't realize one company was running almost the whole show. It's kinda weird that a complete shit show like Match.com is owned by the same people that run the perfectly fine and generally well recommended OKC. I wonder what their long term goal here is.

Maybe they will make PoF's interface better. No, wait, I was just at Match to see if I could find out anything about someone who messaged me (since I'm not paying them, I couldn't) and it is still bad as well.

Don't they also own Chemistry.com?

It is weird that they haven't consolidated any of these services. Also, probably a good thing because it means they aren't screwing up OKC.

• Options

And then they buy Ashley Madison.

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

And then they buy Ashley Madison.

I still remember seeing ads for AM on CNN or some other news channel.

It started off fairly normal with guy raging about how these dating sites for married couples and how "now there's Ashley Madison which guarantees a discret affair? Let's put a stop to this now! *background sharters* Go to mymarriagematters.com!"

Looked it up, and yep, both sites were owned by the same company.

newSig.jpg
  • Options

They'd have to bribe the hell out of me and provide free legal council in case of divorce for me to ever get married.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

They'd have to bribe the hell out of me and provide free legal council in case of divorce for me to ever get married.

Well they likely would have enough knowledge of matching algorithms by that point to point you towards the most compatible lawyers, relationship counselors, and notaries in the area . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Well they likely would have enough knowledge of matching algorithms by that point to point you towards the most compatible lawyers, relationship counselors, and notaries in the area . . .

I've never tried a poly relationship before

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Putting up a new picture sure does increase your page views & possible new messages.

On the flip side, this lady I'd been messaging for a little while just put up a new main profile pic where she has a resemblance to my mom and now I can't unsee it. :?

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    That's a bit awkward...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    I just gotta say, I'm really happy with the happy turn this thread has become.

That being said, it's official, I'm moving in with my girlfriend in September. Seems like end game material considering I'm transplanting to that most evil of places....San Francisco.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Hope you have a supply of organs on hand to sell so that you can afford the housing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LostInThoughtLostInThought Registered User regular
    I finally got the nerve to try out Internet dating. Someone wish me luck!

Tinder was easier than I thought to set up and use. OKC took awhile. I may have come to the realization that I am pretty boring, wasting all my time with these video game things. Ill post a link to my profile for your amusement whenever I figure out how. user name is Lostinthought_31 if you can look it up that way. I would appreciate any tips you might have.

Not a good sign that where I am is one of the worst places for matches according to OKC. Apparently I need to move to Washington? I guess all the cool people are there.

Also, thanks everyone for posting your tips and experiences. I've been lurking for awhile until I thought I was dateable material and reading your adventures has given me hope.

• Options
    Good luck, @LostInThought ! And I'll take a look at your profile. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I may be moving south in January and I set my location to where I may be moving to and holy shit, it's like the promised land of internet dating. I may actually get to have fun with this whole internet dating thing next year.

I am super glad I experimented with it up here first now.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Hope you have a supply of organs on hand to sell so that you can afford the housing.

Ha ha ha..ha....ha....*hides bodies*

• Options

I'm sure Kupo won't have to worry about that.

He's probably played enough Elite to put together a map of where he can get the best prices for each organ instead of dumping them all in one market.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    T-bolt wrote: »
    Putting up a new picture sure does increase your page views & possible new messages.

On the flip side, this lady I'd been messaging for a little while just put up a new main profile pic where she has a resemblance to my mom and now I can't unsee it. :?

I went out with a girl who when I met her in person looked exactly like my best friend's girlfriend. She even had almost the exact same voice. Which is too bad, because she was actually pretty cool. But I couldn't shake the feeling that I was talking to my friend's girlfriend.

• Options

That being said, it's official, I'm moving in with my girlfriend in September. Seems like end game material considering I'm transplanting to that most evil of places....San Francisco.

I'm pretty sure I could move in with my girlfriend (she owns a house so it would be the better move), unfortunately I currently live a 20 minute drive from work (even with bad traffic) as opposed to living a quarter tank of gas away and a commute that can last between 50 to 90 minutes. (She works from home so living in a small town isn't an issue for her)

Right now we're alternating weekends visits.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I could move in with my girlfriend (she owns a house so it would be the better move), unfortunately I currently live a 20 minute drive from work (even with bad traffic) as opposed to living a quarter tank of gas away and a commute that can last between 50 to 90 minutes. (She works from home so living in a small town isn't an issue for her)

Right now we're alternating weekends visits.

Yeah but currently we're long distance. Like LA to SF long. I'm functionally quitting my job and breaking my lease to do this...so it should be interesting.

I'm sure Kupo won't have to worry about that.

He's probably played enough Elite to put together a map of where he can get the best prices for each organ instead of dumping them all in one market.

Well of course. I can make my rent in two organ runs, mainly kidneys, but if I get time I like to focus on the major runs. Like hearts and minds...literally.

Also, how did you find out what my new job is?

• Options

We're an 84% match! 88% on sex! 89% on dating! 100% on being straight males :(

Oh well. Good luck out there :)

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Is there a certain amount of time you guys usually wait before moving in with a bf/gf? Or does it vary depending on whenever it "feels right" with that person?

AtomBomb wrote: »

We're an 84% match! 88% on sex! 89% on dating! 100% on being straight males :(

Oh well. Good luck out there :)

I'm an 88% match with him, 87% on sex, but 53% on dating. :'D 90% on ethics though!

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For me it would depend on the situation, but I'm really far from current experience. My wife and I moved in together when we were 20 or 21, after we had been dating for a few months. When the lease on my apartment came up we were already spending most of our time together, so the "logical" thing to do seemed to be me moving into her apartment, and then looking for something together when her lease was up. Now I own a house that I like. If I was dating someone who also owned a house they liked, I could see us putting cohabitating off. Distance could be a factor, too. I guess it also depends how scary you find commitment. I got married at 22, so I'm probably not representative of the norm.

My account is AdamInAZ if anyone wants to check it out. I know I only have 1 pic right now, but I'm going to try and get some more this weekend.

• Options
    builderr0r wrote: »
    Is there a certain amount of time you guys usually wait before moving in with a bf/gf? Or does it vary depending on whenever it "feels right" with that person?

No personal experience on this front, but one of my best friends described how she moved in with her husband within 3 months of starting to date him and never felt like it was too soon for it. So ideally it should be based on feel.

Another friend also moved in really early with someone she got engaged to. It mostly worked out despite that it was more a desperation thing with her, him, and another friend being close to broke (she had just moved to Seattle with no college degree, he worked at the docks, and the friend worked on various boats when such work was available). Then he came out of the closet after about a decade and while she was supportive of that, the actual breakup got really ugly due to personalities involved.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    It's by the feeling but to me it would be somewhere close to 1 year of dating maybe a bit less, depending on the ideal time to move (leases n stuff). It gives you time to get past the honeymoon phase and get to know the person a bit better, the good and the less good.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Fireflash wrote: »
    It's by the feeling but to me it would be somewhere close to 1 year of dating maybe a bit less, depending on the ideal time to move (leases n stuff). It gives you time to get past the honeymoon phase and get to know the person a bit better, the good and the less good.

It definitely accelerates things. You could find out that you're a great match in a short period of time. If you're not a great match you'll find that out, too. It some ways it's nice to figure that stuff out quick, but I can see how creating these sort of entanglements would make the demise of a relationship that much worse.

• Options
    Also has to do with money. I know my roommate was all gung-ho to move out with his girlfriend he met in October (our leases are up this August) but he's got a lot of debt and decided his current situation of just going off to see her a few nights out of the week was good enough for another year. Although he's not at all a homebody, i'd want to move in instead of going out like that almost every night, unless there was a financial barrier to doing so.