As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megagame] Stand Still Stay Silent - Game Ends

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    You can research hugs that require other things

Not if you don't know they exist and you dont know the name of something or that it is an option until you meet all the requirements.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    In light of recent developments, we, the UK, are going to DEFCON 3.

Whilst human threats can be dealt with through negation alone, we fear this new threat is not going to be so amenable, and we are taking the appropriate precautions.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Radius wrote: »
    You can research hugs that require other things

Not if you don't know they exist and you dont know the name of something or that it is an option until you meet all the requirements.

What are you freaking out about? Knowledge of Firestarters requires Antiviral Drugs being researched and knowledge of the existence of Mutation?. We researched Mutation? last night, so clearly we had knowledge of Mutation? yesterday.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Tech results are out.

Nobel Prize Papers due in 24 hours.

I must apologize! The Firestarters needing Mutations is incorrect. That is a relic from an earlier draft of the Tree, hence why there is no actual arrow leading from Mutations to Firestarters!

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    discrider wrote: »
    In light of recent developments, we, the UK, are going to DEFCON 3.

Whilst human threats can be dealt with through negation alone, we fear this new threat is not going to be so amenable, and we are taking the appropriate precautions.
    In response, China is escalating to HUGCON 2. We warn you in the spirit of unity that our hugs may be delivered without warning and in response to any perceived niceness.

Seriously that is probably a good idea and we hope you don't mind if we join you.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular

Tech results are out.

Nobel Prize Papers due in 24 hours.

I must apologize! The Firestarters needing Mutations is incorrect. That is a relic from an earlier draft of the Tree, hence why there is no actual arrow leading from Mutations to Firestarters!

This solves all my issues, thank you Sir Fab.

I apologize to Egypt for this misunderstanding.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    As Keeper of the Millennium items, I would like to announce that it is likely Egypt's navy will be enforcing a blockade of the North African coastline within the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. We will also likely be moving military forces into our ally Libya to secure their western border.

• Options
    I've also just realized it takes a hilarious amount of time to construct Infantry units. I remind all diplomats that they can makes requests of their allies (close borders, ask for troops, ask for funds, etc.)

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    I've also just realized it takes a hilarious amount of time to construct Infantry units. I remind all diplomats that they can makes requests of their allies (close borders, ask for troops, ask for funds, etc.)

Yeah the game will be over before we can make basically anything. It kind of makes armies incredibly weak.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    China is up-to-date!

And one last thing. I haven't officially mentioned this, so it's not a super-big deal if you've done it up to now, but please do not directly quote the hosts private communications to you (via PM or via Proboard) to anybody not included in those same communications.

This is stuff like Tech results, Agents results, private clarifications, etc.

If you receive information from the hosts that you want to share, it's up to your diplomacy skills to get that across in the thread!

Thanks all have a good weekend!

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    Basically any time the Tech Tree conflicts with something I've actually told you, the Tech Tree is wrong.

Gumpy and I are constantly altering the rules as players consistently do things we don't expect them to (those darn players!).

For example, I renamed Fight it with Fire! to Environmental Factors because I thought that fit better.

Anyway, I'll stop clogging up the thread and let the players get to it!

• Options

Yeah the game will be over before we can make basically anything. It kind of makes armies incredibly weak.

It makes the ones you start with incredibly valuable because those are the guys who keep the rabble from getting into your house.

Also, this personal revelation means everyone needs to research Firestarters really soon because of the time it will likely take to create them.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    If anyone needs any assistance with science, South Africa has one of the brightest scientific minds around heading our R&D.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    !Vote on both resolutions

Russia is obviously different than it was. It is important that their hands be untied so they can assist the world with this crisis. Brazil keeps its promises and votes yes on Resolution 1.

The special operation Brazil is undertaking combined with an infection within our own borders makes increased funding a necessity for us. We hope the world agrees.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I hate these oceans. Securing land borders is easy, but sea lanes are much more difficult to patrol. Then of course there's air travel, but at least that can be shut down easily via no fly zones.

I, uh, hope you guys are doing some introspection on just how many civilians you're willing to kill during this thing. This will get ugly.

Baidol on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    England has a small fleet that has been interdicting refugee boats from France which can be used to add further firepower to the Spain mission if needed. We do have detachment of troops with the fleet, but their filtration gear has not yet been received, so I am reticent to send them out just yet.

• Options
    Does anyone have a naval fleet in or near the Red Sea? I would like a blockade to prevent that sea leading into the India Ocean from being used to infect east Africa and/or southeast Asia. If we're lucky, Saudi Arabia and the Yoman Emirates are also not infected and we can save them too.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Is proboards acting up for anyone else?

• Options
    It is.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    OOC: Great. Communications breakdowns!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    An enemy of harmony attacked the International Research Center. I don't know why you felt it necessary, you could have just asked.

If you issue a public apology, we will put this behind us. Otherwise we will put forth a resolution to impose economic and trade restrictions upon you.
    Please be aware that this situation has been resolved amicably between all parties, and there is no need for further action. Thank you.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I assume the situation was resolved and no damage was done in the end. Which, you know, good, because fucking zombies.

• Options
    I assume the situation was resolved and no damage was done in the end. Which, you know, good, because fucking zombies.

Oh I got it I just missed the original post due to the next post being Dongs Galore becoming US President which made me laugh.

Who would mess with the IRC? Not cool.

• Options
    After consulting with my SADPACT allies and the correspondence we have with other nations, all I can say is that the IRC was not actually messed with, and that the guilty party didn't actually ruin our day.

• Options
    Odd.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Gonna need a moment to think about how to adjust to all the shit that's happened, but I'll take this moment to let ya'll know that our detailed scanning has revealed that Switzerland has shown initial signs of infection.

So yeah, that's not good.

We should be incredibly concerned about keeping Germany safe from what seems to be an encroaching wave of infection.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Odd.

No, it just doesn't appear that the perpetrator's motives were nefarious in nature. That's the assumption I'm making based on the information I have to go on. China would be a lot more pissed otherwise.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I regret to inform the other leaders of the world that Brazil will be increasing our DEFCON to 3 in order to better prepare our conventional land forces for potential unrest due to the infection. We assure all nations that there is no aggressive action planned due to this and DEFCON will not be increasing to 2 under any circumstances.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

I think you may be underestimating how much time we have left. Between the technology we've already discovered and our greater resources I imagine the major nations will take a LOT more to unravel than the smaller ones. It took Spain 3-4 turns to break down after reaching Infection 3 and most of the major nations haven't even been directly infected yet. However I strongly agree with recommendations to begin researching Firestarters; Argentina will be doing so today and is willing to provide prerequisites to any nation not already possessing them, though we are a relatively poor nation and will not be capable of financing other nations' research.

We also strongly suggest an international agreement regarding Scanning minor nations, but unfortunately we would not be able to participate immediately as our rather direct route toward Firestarters has not yet gotten us the technology we would need to join in such efforts.
    OOC: Great. Communications breakdowns!

Good thing we have an extra day then.

CesareB on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    So, I think it might be a good idea to set up a tiered system for classifying infected zones that will help us decide how to deal with them.

Level 0 = Countries with no signs of infection. These are the only countries that my export meat and other animal-derived products.

Level 1 (i.e. Switzerland, Peru) = This is for countries that have only recently been infected. Infected livestock should be killed and burned, and fresh water should be shipped in to help keep the virus from spreading. Infected individuals will be quarantined, and those who have died from the virus should have their bodies burned to prevent the final stage from occurring.

Level 2 (i.e. what France probably is right now) = This is for countries where the virus has been allowed to spread for a significant amount of time. Citizens should be checked for infection and--if clean--evacuated to the nearest country at Level 1 or below. Infected individuals will be dealt with as per Level 1.

Level 3 (i.e. Spain) = This is for extreme cases where a virus has practically taken over. These countries should be considered lost, and their entire border should be considered a quarantine zone. Entering one of these countries should only be done by military personnel for the purpose of establishing bases from which to "clean" the area of final-stage infected. Survivors who have somehow managed to stay clean should be moved to Level 1 or 0 countries. All other survivors should be moved directly to a quarantine facility in the closest Level 2 or lower country.

That's just a quick brainstorm. Any suggestions and critique is welcome.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    There's already an in-game system for Infection levels that you can find in the Presidents' briefing for player states. I assume the same system holds for NPC states as public declarations of infection begin at Level 3.

1-10 scale system

Level 4: Yellow alert - day-to-day affairs take a hit
    Level 7: Red alert - major population centers shut
    Level 10: Destruction of the state as the populate is dead or fled

For context, Spain was minimum Level 3 on Day 1 and is Level 10 on Day 5, but possibly earlier.

If we want to do a block tier system like Stilts is proposing, that could be useful, but let's use different terminology than levels.

Edit: Independently, outside communication lines (proboards) are open again.

Baidol on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    It appears independent countries do not realize they're infected until the disease has already spread considerably; this greatly handicapped our containment, I think. Nations with the First Signs tech researched will always detect infections in themselves and their allies (I hope for their allies, at least?)

For this reason, I think we should assume that any independent nation bordering a nation with reported infections already has the disease and is capable of spreading it. We may also want to find out who has the First Signs tech and who doesn't, for similar reasons.

• Options
    Bremen wrote: »
    It appears independent countries do not realize they're infected until the disease has already spread considerably; this greatly handicapped our containment, I think. Nations with the First Signs tech researched will always detect infections in themselves and their allies (I hope for their allies, at least?)

For this reason, I think we should assume that any independent nation bordering a nation with reported infections already has the disease and is capable of spreading it. We may also want to find out who has the First Signs tech and who doesn't, for similar reasons.

Evidence suggests this is not an automatic thing. I am awaiting clarification on whether actions can be taken to expand coverage to allied nations.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    There's already an in-game system for Infection levels that you can find in the Presidents' briefing for player states. I assume the same system holds for NPC states as public declarations of infection begin at Level 3.

1-10 scale system

Level 4: Yellow alert - day-to-day affairs take a hit
    Level 7: Red alert - major population centers shut
    Level 10: Destruction of the state as the populate is dead or fled

For context, Spain was minimum Level 3 on Day 1 and is Level 10 on Day 5, but possibly earlier.

If we want to do a block tier system like Stilts is proposing, that could be useful, but let's use different terminology than levels.

Edit: Independently, outside communication lines (proboards) are open again.

Oh, right, I forgot about those.

We could follow that color scheme for a block system.

So Green Tier would be no infection (a 0 on the scale).

Yellow Tier would be level 1 - 4 on the scale.

Red Tier would be 5 - 7.

Black Tier would be 8 - 10.

Using colors would also allow us to make a nice color-coordinated map.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    The map for Game Day 04 failed to include the checked shading in Romania for Russia's occupation. This has been updated in the current map for Day 05 and we will try to update the historical map for Day 04 as soon as possible.

Game Day 05 (10 August 2015) Map

Striped regions indicate alliances. Checked regions indicate occupied regions. Dark gray regions have 'gone dark'. Biohazard symbols indicate infection outbreaks. Arrows indicate significant military movements. The crossed swords and arrows indicate significant conflicts.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    OOC:

This is 10 hours, and 10 pages ago, but I said that USA was threatening Brazil, because the paper that President Albino Bunny posted had a picture of him aiming a gun at a pug. Joshofalltrades totally noticed! P.S. I am just beginning page 37, so uh... I'll get caught up in a second.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Your President also just got caught up

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Yellow Tier would be level 1 - 4 on the scale.

Red Tier would be 5 - 7.

Black Tier would be 8 - 10.

Using colors would also allow us to make a nice color-coordinated map.

Here's my attempt at a virus spread map along these lines:
    ejEb4bn.png

Nations infected on Day 1 or 2 are black
    Nations infected on Day 3 or 4 are Red
    Nations infected on Day 5, or suspected to be infected are yellow.

Exceptions:
    I assume the US may have been providing antivirals to Mexico, in which case it's probably better classified as Yellow.

I've colored yellow all independent countries adjacent to a red or black nation, on the assumption they're likely infected and don't realize it:

French Guiana
    Switzerland (Confirmed in thread)
    Italy
    Georgia

India is iffy; it's allied to China, but could easily be infected. I left it uncolored for now.

I assume that both the US and Germany have the Early Signs tech, and their core territories are therefor probably not infected.

This discussion has been closed.