Options

[Megagame] Stand Still Stay Silent - Game Ends

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Stilts wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    IMO my biggest failure this game was not being nearly proactive enough about keeping ties with Britain and Germany

I guess I just kind of assumed they were solid allies who would fall in line (just like IRL america)

The PM that I got on day, what, three? From Stilts about how the UK was fucking pissed at the US was like Christmas early

I did a little giggle when I found out that the West was divided

Why were they mad then? It was before my time

The US basically going over the heads of Germany and the UK to negotiate with Russia over their retreat

That US agreement with Russia was a really poor move from the US, IMO. They really did not look strong, especially when Speed Racer stood up for Egypt and said on behalf of the free world "well we certainly won't stand for this"

God, that was my first day on the job, too.

Hell of an introduction the game, let me tell you.

Wanna talk about an introduction to the game and crazy first day on the job?

Here Obi, have one of the largest militaries in the game spread out across the entire globe. Learn how all that works first. But don't take too much time because you have to deal with a Russia that is invading Europe and a violent virus spreading to your South. Oh, and nothing has moved or been produced since the start of the game so you are massively out of position. Its kind of like you are playing football but your opponent is already lined up and hiking the ball while you are still on the bench. Oh and we need you to spend like 5 hours trying to diplomatically talk down Russia from nuking the world.

Have fun!

hint: It was

ObiFett on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we figured out it was Zombies 1 or 2 turns before everybody else.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Guys I made the only kill in the game and I did it so good he banned himself

Do you know how long I've wanted to say that

Seriously, wtf?, everyone who was a part of the assassination. Way to get someone banned from the forums over a game.

It's not my fault?

I made a legitimate play in the game when it, literally, looked like nuclear war was going to happen.

It wasn't even going to take him out of the game permanently. We knew it would only give the world a two day break from nuclear war but I thought it would help.

It is not my fault that a game thing that I didn't even speak about possibly maybe made someone mad.

Also in fairness to Langly I asked about assassinating J4P at probably about the same time he did, inspired by the accidental recruitment of the Ukrainian special forces team.

I just decided not to do it.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Reality Trumps Rules Gumpy, yet Ireland still joined the UK.

:rotate:

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Well done to everyone who guessed we were doing Stand Still Stay Silent - I think the dam on that pretty much broke when spain went dark

• Options

The apocalypse is breaking out across the channel. Priorities shift.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, at the beginning I didn't know how rigid our roles would be, so I didn't talk to the U.S., U.K. Or Germany, and so nobody on our team was, because of that confusion.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Turns out I'm really fucking good at my job.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Gumpy wrote: »

Man what

I was supposed to be in charge of our agents?

Or did that get changed for this game...

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    IMO my biggest failure this game was not being nearly proactive enough about keeping ties with Britain and Germany

I guess I just kind of assumed they were solid allies who would fall in line (just like IRL america)

The PM that I got on day, what, three? From Stilts about how the UK was fucking pissed at the US was like Christmas early

I did a little giggle when I found out that the West was divided

Why were they mad then? It was before my time

The US basically going over the heads of Germany and the UK to negotiate with Russia over their retreat

That US agreement with Russia was a really poor move from the US, IMO. They really did not look strong, especially when Speed Racer stood up for Egypt and said on behalf of the free world "well we certainly won't stand for this"

God, that was my first day on the job, too.

Hell of an introduction the game, let me tell you.

Wanna talk about an introduction to the game and crazy first day on the job?

Here Obi, have one of the largest militaries in the game spread out across the entire globe. Learn how all that works first. But don't take too much time because you have to deal with a Russia that is invading Europe and a violent virus spreading to your South. Oh, and nothing has moved or been produced since the start of the game so you are massively out of position. Its kind of like you are playing football but your opponent is already lined up and hiking the ball while you are still on the bench. Oh and we need you to spend like 5 hours trying to diplomatically talk down Russia from nuking the world.

Have fun!

hint: It was

I was so glad it was you who showed up. It was like "Oh, Obi's got this. Let me tell him about the Ukrainians though just so he knows."

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    My thoughts on it were

Fallout FEV virus/Super Mutants
    Those SCPs I mentioned.
    Starcraft Zergs
    S.S.S.S.
    I also did research on a bunch of virus disaster films.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, @Virgil_Leads_You , thanks so much for my not getting any sleep the night you reminded me SCP existed. ;)

• Options

Honestly if I had been able to survive to get to stage three of the game we'd have put Merlin coming back as the first mage in the game and the UK end game would have been a retreat to Albion/Ireland.

Lessons learned hosting this on a forum

Three hosts to split the map up between them would let each country get the proper amount of attention

Slam down on restricting PM's to clarifications only - I literally have 100 or so PM's every 12 hours in my inbox

More automation. Ensure that orders were consistent across everyone (my greatest confusion was going from country to country and trying to adapt to different ways of doing it)

• Options
    I actually really enjoyed playing the moderating force on team mad science!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I think Brazil did a bang-up job. We accomplished our goals and then some. If we had decided to be vicious motherfuckers and convince SADPACT to refuse to lift sanctions against Russia, we would have created a coalition that would have dominated international politics. As it was, SADPACT had veto power over any resolution we did not like. It just so happened there weren't any of those during the game. If it had gone on longer, it's possible that would have been crucial.

We had a small role to play, but I think we did a good job of it.

We could really have used a little more from you guys on the military front early on, but yeah, no complaints.

I'm gonna be frank with you here

We were pretty sure early on that you guys were gonna try and fuck us up with a military campaign

That message you sent asking if our fortification of our borders was a sign of aggression

I wasn't lying, we wanted to be on good terms with you (and I'm thankful we were!) but shake with one hand, arm the other and all that.

• Options

Man what

There are a number of changes between that and the final briefings - That's the early full design pre-tweaks

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    So I guess Gumpy's dice were Virus Team. And they really really like Morocco for some reason.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Honestly if I had been able to survive to get to stage three of the game we'd have put Merlin coming back as the first mage in the game and the UK end game would have been a retreat to Albion/Ireland.

Lessons learned hosting this on a forum

Three hosts to split the map up between them would let each country get the proper amount of attention

Slam down on restricting PM's to clarifications only - I literally have 100 or so PM's every 12 hours in my inbox

More automation. Ensure that orders were consistent across everyone (my greatest confusion was going from country to country and trying to adapt to different ways of doing it)

Oh my God

OH MY GOD

giphy.gif

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I wasn't military.
    I looked at that US spreadsheet so many times and tried to visuallize them on the map and my brain melted.
    Plus work would have made getting stuff done in time really hard.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

Man what

I was not in charge of agents either. That changed.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I think Brazil did a bang-up job. We accomplished our goals and then some. If we had decided to be vicious motherfuckers and convince SADPACT to refuse to lift sanctions against Russia, we would have created a coalition that would have dominated international politics. As it was, SADPACT had veto power over any resolution we did not like. It just so happened there weren't any of those during the game. If it had gone on longer, it's possible that would have been crucial.

We had a small role to play, but I think we did a good job of it.

We could really have used a little more from you guys on the military front early on, but yeah, no complaints.

I'm gonna be frank with you here

We were pretty sure early on that you guys were gonna try and fuck us up with a military campaign

That message you sent asking if our fortification of our borders was a sign of aggression

I wasn't lying, we wanted to be on good terms with you (and I'm thankful we were!) but shake with one hand, arm the other and all that.

Yeah, that "Brazil has fortified your borders," thing made us go "Wait, what?", mostly.

We're cool though.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I think China has succeeded as well. Even if the US hasn't destroyed itself, the US world dominance is dead. SADPACT has achieved Africa & South America independence (aka the Monroe Doctrine is dead). Europe is dead. Asia is entirely under our sphere. The bits that aren't have been cleansed by fire

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    If I were running a game like this, I'd probably want one host whose job was purely to be the guy on everyone's PM/proboard to make sure they're not cheating/misplaying. No other duties.

I can only imagine how many hours a day it was just to keep up with all the teams.

• Options
    I'm glad I wasn't military.
    I looked at that US spreadsheet so many times and tried to visuallize them on the map and my brain melted.
    Plus work would have made getting stuff done in time really hard.

I'm actually really happy I got put into the role I did.

I had a blast and it was right up my alley. It let me focus on strategic and tactical plans while dabbling in diplomacy when I wanted to.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yeah.

All that stuff we did was after Fencingsax talked us down from what we wanted to do.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I do kinda wish I had been a scientist.

I...don't think I'm very good at the actually socializing part of the diplomat role. Which is the most important part.

I feel like BFL was doing better than me at bringing nations together.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Turns out I'm really fucking good at my job.

After I saw that I went "huh, well, might as well try to politically annex south asia"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Like I said, I probably had the lowest impact job in the game, simply because there was no need for a military where I was. In a few turns, I'd be doing shit, but not at the moment, so I get to fuck around with preparing defenses. It was great.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I think China has succeeded as well. Even if the US hasn't destroyed itself, the US world dominance is dead.
    I dunno, America was playing world defender right up to the bitter end. That's where our dominance really lies.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Radius wrote: »

Yeah.

All that stuff we did was after Fencingsax talked us down from what we wanted to do.

Allah Buddah and Christ guys, you have no fucking idea. My team was the craycray

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I do kinda wish I had been a scientist.

I...don't think I'm very good at the actually socializing part of the diplomat role. Which is the most important part.

I feel like BFL was doing better than me at bringing nations together.

yeah as a diplomat i felt kinda useless. most of my duties could have been done by the president.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options

Yeah.

Allah Buddah and Christ guys, you have no fucking idea. My team was the craycray

Go check out our proboard.

Not saying we were as crazy, but you were not the only ones with ideas.

• Options
    I think China did Great.
    I never aggressively worked to hurt China though. I'm glad we both Survived!
    Part of the USA's lackluster influence was my fault. We didn't consistently research 3 techs each turn early on, and so China and Egypt had a tech lead.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

Yeah.

I bet you're real glad Russia was so vocal right away, drawing most of the scrutiny.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Yeah.

The rest of the world thanks you for keeping your country at only a moderate level of insanity.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    There was not as much warring between states as I planned for

Need to add more reasons to stab each other next time

• Options
    Put it this way, America announced that Agents could infect other countries, and I was the only one who didn't think "Neat!"

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    There was not as much warring between states as I planned for

Need to add more reasons to stab each other next time

Once zombies started showing up, shooting at each other seemed counterproductive.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think more nations needed specific territorial ambitions, and the minor powers needed more of a reason not to all ally as a block, like they did.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    @Gumpy
    What would Nukes have done against the Virus?

VayBJ4e.png
This discussion has been closed.