As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"I said come in! Don't just stand there!" (S.T.A.L.K. T.A.L.K.)

IriahIriah Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
It's STALKER! Stalk people and kill them in Chernobyl. Buy it.
Waka Laka wrote: »
On the thought of a STALKER MMO, I could imagine what the chat log would look like.

Connected Player "Waka Laka" to server - The Den.
Connected.
Welcome to the Den.

(Trade) HUMMER557 - WTS Atrifact +5 Rad res +2 Rupture PST : )
(Local) Cockweasel - OMFG Tarox how the fuck did you hit me.
Bandit whispers - HEY WAKA! :P
You whisper Bandit - Hey.

(Local) Taroximation (HRST) - My bullets are gay seeking, and you are a faggot, stop being a faggot and
they'll stop hitting you.
(Local) Cockweasel - :( asshole, I know you're hacking.
(Trade)qkdkanfksk - WELCOME TO STALKTRADE!!! THE ONLY WEBSITE THAT GUARANTEES BEST VALUE STALKER MONEY ON THE WEB - BEST PRICED ARTIFACTS! 24/7 DELIVERY! WWW.GOLD4GOLD.COM/STALKERGOLD/default.htm
(Trade)(ZONE) Grudge - WTS AK47 with scope, Fired twice, dropped once - 1400r
(Local) Taroximation (HRST) - OMFG LRN 2 STALK FAG. IMA CHARGIN MAH FAG GRENADES
Bandit whispers - Want to raid X105 with me? :D
You whisper Bandit - Nah, dude you always tell me to raid with you and then when I want to raid you're like "Oh my dog died or my auntie is sick" So no, go ask someone else.

(Local) (R.A.D) Argh, fucking respawning dogs, I was looting and they all spawned around me!
(Trade) Monkeyfarts - Too expensive Grudge
You whisper Bandit - Technically your Auntie has died 4 times in the last 2 months, I'm wondering if she's a zombie or some shit. Say hi to your goldfish, cos I think he might be on the way out when I ask you to raid the Sarcophagus
Bandit whispers - Fag you're out of the guild
(You have been removed from your guild)
(LFG) Baxter Stockman - LF2M, prefered Medic, Heavy and/or Robber LVL 18-21
Buttseckz whispers - Can you make me some bread and vodka?
(Local) You wrote - Fuck the lot of ya!
(Local) Taximation - Ask Cockweasel, he does alot of fucking. Like cocks and dicks and stuff
(You disconnect)

Apparently, this mod 'Oblivion Lost' is good and you should install it. I wouldn't know, I'm not playing this game until I get rid of this 6600GT.
Stolls wrote: »
captaink wrote: »
I want to play this again with some mods.

General recommendations? I'd also like some that make repairing a bit easier, and one that lets me carry more stuff.

Axe's Compilation Mod covers both of those bases handily, along with a few other nice additions. And I recently threw together this little thing which has a bare-bones 'make the game faster, prettier and less broken' folder, and one that includes some bigger changes (including the ACM, by the by). If you're not looking for major revamps of the game itself (Oblivion Lost, etc.), those should get you started on the right foot.

Edit: The mods below this point are out of date and may corrupt your save/game/etc. Some of them may still work/have updated versions, but if you're unsure, ask in the thread.

Below is the original, and rather lame, OP.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl thread

stalkershadowofchernobyam5.jpg
In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Soviet Russia, monster stalk you!

GUYZ WHY SHUD I WUNT 2 BUY DIS GAEM

For starters, pretties!

stalkershadowofchernobyen8.jpg

Suspense!

stalkershadowofchernobyph2.jpg

Atmosphere!

stalkershadowofchernobyhk5.jpg

Love interests!

stalkershadowofchernobyda0.jpg

WTF?!

stalkershadowofchernobyhy9.jpg

WEL KAY BUT WUT DO U DO

Stalker is a blend of FPS and RPG. You run around the Zone, collecting artifacts, killing mercs and soldiers, stockpiling equipment, making (largely worthless) money, questing, solving the mysteries of the zone and what-have-you. Go nuts. Kill everyone. Help everyone. Run away from fights. Sneak up to people with a knife and get stabby. Stalker technically encourages freeform play, with stealth and such, but as of now it's broken and ranged weapons are the only way to go. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a later patch.

Y DID U SAY ATMOSFEAR B4?

Because Stalker has an amazing atmosphere. Wandering through the zone is just awesome, listening to the rumbling, radio static, dogs barking in the distance, and watching firefights between soldiers and lone stalkers. Another thing - 98% of your encounters are completely unscripted. If you clear out a den of bandits, a group of loner stalkers may move in. Come back the next day to find the same group of bandits who want their shit back, and watch them duke it out. Occasionally it slips up, but it's rare and you probably won't even notice.

RITE DEN WIL IT RUN ON MY PC, IT HAS AN AY-EM-DEE-AFFLON=

Stalker scales remarkably well, so it'll most likely run on anything put together since 2003. It's been in development for so long it's passed through DX8 & 9, and for older graphics cards you can switch between the two. However, don't expect decent graphics unless you're on a 7600GT or x1600xt or greater. No, your trusty old 6600GT won't cut it for full HDR and 1280 x 1024.

The recommended stats are:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Microsoft® Windows® XP (Service Pack 2) / Microsoft® Windows® 2000 SP4
Processor type : Intel Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz / AMD XP 2200+
512 MB RAM
10 GB available hard drive space
128 MB DirectX® 8.0 compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 5700 / ATI Radeon® 9600
DirectX® 9.0 compatible sound card
LAN/Internet connection with low latency Cable/DSL speeds for multiplayer
Keyboard, Mouse

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Processor type : Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 / AMD 64 X2 4200+
1.5 GB RAM
256 MB DirectX® 9.0c compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 / ATI Radeon® X1950
LAN/Internet connection with low latency Cable/DSL/T1+ speeds for multiplayer
Keyboard, Mouse

HIGH SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Processor type : Intel Core2 Duo E6700 / AMD 64 X2 5200+
2 GB RAM
512 MB DirectX® 9.0c compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 / ATI Radeon® X2800
LAN/Internet connection with low latency Cable/DSL/T1+ speeds for multiplayer
Keyboard, Mouse

R DERE BUGZ

Hooboy, you betcha. Stalker is about as buggy as Fallout was, and nearly as good, too. Right now the game is at 1.001 status.

You can download the patch here.

1.002 is coming, but has been AWOL as the release date was this Monday. However, 1.003 has already been announced, so don't give up hope!

ZOMG NEW PATCH!
Rentilius wrote: »
New patch is out.

Saved games.

Saved games from 1.0001 version will work with 1.0003 version.

Connectivity.

Connecting to the server will be possible only if the host's version of the game is the same as yours.

The patch addresses the following changes:

* Added some textures of certain objects (for technical purposes).
* Added console command 'sv_listmaps' to view the list of maps queue.
* Added the support for additional mouse buttons (now they can be bound to certain actions).
* Fixed bugs with player's character health bar in Multi-player.
* Fixed the crash upon making the screenshot to a saved game.
* Fixed the bug with standing dead bodies upon connecting to the game.
* Fixed inventory items placing system (Free for all and Team play modes).
* Fixed the enumeration of the game's version.
* Fixed the crash with using Numpad in some localizations.
* Fixed the crash on the level "Military warehouse".
* Fixed the crash while idling on the pause menu
* Fixed the crash in dialog with Professor Sakharov on the Yantar level.
* Fixed the storyline task "Meet with the Guide", now you can get it by searching Ghost's corpse.
* Fixed the bug with NPCs spawning in front of the player.
* Fixed the A-life reaction time. Now A-life spawns new NPCs more seldom. Also NPC movement speed is decreased when NPC are on different level then the player.
* Binary files are now compiled with large address aware flag that supports up to 3GB address space (relevant for Windows VistaT users).
* Added the possibility to record/play the camera fly-around ('demo_record'/'demo_play' commands). Now Stalker is ready for benchmarks.
* Fixed aspect ratio 16/9. Now the owners of the widescreen displays will have the benefit from greater viewing radius.
* Fixed various crashes with dedicated server.
* The network packets have been merged. This will make the ping reduce twice or more.
* The correctness of map name is now verified when changing the map using the console.
* Fixed the dragging of dead bodies by monsters.
* Now dumps will be saved upon the game crashes.
* Fixed the in-game patching system for all localizations.
* Fixed the problem with the exceedingly long players' names.
* Fixed textual problems for 16/9 video format.
* Fixed game freezing upon trying to connect to a different version.
* Fixed binocular Spectator crash.
* Fixed non-existent grenade launcher firing.
* Fixed players turning invisible when reduced to a minimal amount of health.
* Fixed pre-selected skin not allowing for player spawn.

http://www.fileplanet.com/176912/170000/fileinfo/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:-Shadow-of-Chernobyl-Patch-v1.0001---v1.0003-%5BUS%5D

Blargh file planet, I'll find another link when I get home.

There are also many mods to alleviate your frustration in the meantime, that fix a lot of the localization issues in the text, and the prefetch issue.

Common bugs!

- The prefetch issue - Stalker prefetches its objects as you enter a location to save memory and CPU load. However, the prefetching process is causing a memory leak, and screwing your performance. To solve it, add '-noprefetch' to the end of the shortcut target line, or download a mod to fix it here.

- Won't run on Vista! - Patch that sucker.

- The trader's door getting stuck - As of now there's no real way to get around this bug other than applying the patch and saying goodbye to your saves. This is a problem in the later game when you need to see him again, so patch the goddam game early, mmkay.

- The barman ignores me! - Yep, he's a dickhead. No, you actually have to go stand next to guy who sells you information. Then the barman will wander down to talk to you. This can take time, due to the bug, or he can already be there when you enter.

- WHEREZ DA FAMILY RIFLE?! - Not a bug, it's underneath where you're standing. It's in a shipping container in the tunnel, and it's actually a sawn-off. Fucking Russians.

- Wtf! There's no stash in the cellar! - Another localization thing. It means attic.

- Why is the sky all cray-zay?! - You alt-tabbed too much. The only solution is restarting the game, or failing that, restarting the computer.

SO LIEK R DERE MODS?

Why yes, since you ask. There are already 100 or so English localized mods. I say this because the Russians are waaay ahead of us. There's an active community, and the SDK hasn't even been released yet (because it soon will be, and then we might even have those vehicles back in).

TO MAKE MODS WORK

Go to C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\fsgame.ltx

Change the line
$game_data$   		= false|	true|	$fs_root$|		gamedata\

To
$game_data$   		= true|	true|	$fs_root$|		gamedata\

Recommended mods!

Raw's Revamp Mod - Just install this mod. It's a text/interface localization mod. Fixes all sorts of shit, like 'car park' instead of 'garage', and 'cellar' instead of 'attic'. Definitely install before playing for minimal headaches.
Flashlight Range Mod - Self-explanatory, makes it a lot more useful outdoors.

Dream Mod - Re-adds a sleep system that was removed from the game prior to release. Chat with most stalkers to prompt the menu, allowing you to sleep for one, three or nine hours. As of this moment, hunger still applies, so make sure you eat something before taking a long nap. Also, there is a chance you may dream during this. And on that note,

Crashing fix - for a crashing problem with the US version.

Additionally, Fix'd Armour Decay Mod - Thanks to Stolls we now have a better working version of an armour degradation mod.

HUD 'n' Blood - This mod fixes the UI so it's less clunky and more minimal. Also increases 'blood puff', so you can tell if you're hitting someone easier. Very helpful.

No Headbobbing - Simply removes the headbobbing, which is annoying for some, and motion-sickness-inducing in others.

Non degrading armour - *UPDATE* - Many have reported that many suits aren't actually affected by this mod, so try the mod recommended by Stolls. Removes armour degradation, which is annoying and not at all worth keeping, even for 'realism'.

No time limit on quests - Removes the annoyingly short one day time limit on quests. Requires a new game, because it's coded in to your save.

No prefetch - In case you missed it earlier, this will disable prefetching, saving memory.

Stalker Realism Pro - Warning: Not for the faint of heart. Hell, not for the first playthrough even if you aren't faint. Makes things very tricky. There's a hotfix for it, too.

Weather Overhaul - Makes nights darker, skies prettier, and fog thicker. Not entirely needed, but occasionally rewarding.

Repair Mod - Lets the Barman and Sid fix your equipment for a price. Handy if you want to keep degrading armour.

RuNam Mod - Changes the frequently silly Russian names.

Real gun names - Oh, gee, whatever can this mod do? :)

Annoying audio fix - Fixes audio problems, like the guy in the bar who asks you to come in over and over and over.

Ultra Graphics Mode - Not for the faint of wallet. Requires high end cards to run at all but it makes the game look freaky cool, enabling Global Illumination, R1 Shaders, motion blur, improved parallax mapping, imrpoved bump mapping, radiocity, dynamic sky, and all sorts of bells and whistles. Thanks, JWFokker!

Lexx's Antigas Armor Mod - Adds 12 new suits for a little more RPG flavour. Hi-5 to Celestial for posting this.

... Spiderman Mod?! - Well, according to this modder, you won't be Spiderman but you will be able to jump higher and faster across the zone, with very little falling damage. This is a cheat mod, of course, and is not at all meant to make your stalking more life like. I haven't used this mod, so I don't know if it's compatible with everything.

Horror weather mod - Tweaks the fog, darkness, and monster AI to be more creepy and frightening. I haven't used this mod, so I don't know if it's compatible with everything.

Girls on TV - Changes those boring TV screens to dancing, scantily clad women. Not for people under 15 or prudes. Besides, you'd think that this it what would be on bar TV anyways. You've been warned! I haven't used this mod, so I don't know if it's compatible with everything.

One hit Knife kills - Increases knife damage five-fold, for insta-kills.

DO NOT INSTALL S.H. DETECTION MOD

It sounds cool, right? It does, but I've tried it, and as of now, the enemy A.I. is just plain not working. It seems alright occasionally, like when it lets you sneak up on people and other things, but it's possible to stand in front of some soldiers, not 4 metres away, gun out and grenades cocked, and they carry on feeling themselves up through their suits or whatever it is they do in their spare time. If the mod is fixed, I'll update this post.

Y CANT I HIT PPLS WIF MY WEAPON

First off: Bind toggle crouch to ctrl. Then you don't have to hold in two keys to crouch low (you still have to hold shift though).

Aim for the head. Headshots are one hit kills unless the target is armoured.

Crouch before firing. Don't even think of firing while moving. The starting pistols are supposed to be inaccurate and crap, but you should still be able to pull of some headshots.

Use the iron sights. Some people dislike them and favour the crosshairs, but they both work well. If the iron sights or the crosshairs aren't working for you, switch for a bit, and you should be more-or-less right as rain.

Don't fight at range. In this game, range is about 30-40 metres. Sucks, don't it? Once you start getting the cooler guns like the Groca-14 (Tunder) or the G36 (GP37) you'll be able to start sniping a bit.

Oh, and make sure you pick up the fast-firing AK in
Strelok's stash.

HOW TO ENABLE MOTION BLUR

Need those extra cray-zay grafix? Well here's tip from Rentillius!
Rentillius wrote:
Enabling motion blur
(Warning, could potentially drag your system's FPS down.)

In your root drive\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\STALKER-SHOC directory in Windows XP, or the Users\Public\Documents\STALKER-SHOC directory in Windows Vista there's a file called User.ltx
You can use this file to adjust individual elements of the game i greater detail then with the in game settings.

It's hardly recommended that you fiddle with crap, but here's a neat trick to enable motion blurring. Open the file in Notepad, and run a search for r2_mblur.

r2_mblur [0.000 - 1.000] - This option controls motion blurring in the game. 0 is off, .1's a fairly realistic value, I personally use .14, and 1.0 is excessive blurring. Enter your desired blur value here.

Then, go to your S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shortcut icon and add -mblur to the end.
It will most likely look like

"C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -mblur

And there, you're done!

Also, a good mod to check out is Reality Enhancement Beta 3 (now 4)

HOW TO ENABLE GLOBAL ILLUMINATION

For people with those newfangled 8800 cards or high end 7900s, you can enable global illumination, a method of lighting that looks much sexayer.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\STALKER-SHOC\user.ltx (or equivalent user documents file)

Search for "r2_gi" without quotes.

Change the 'off' to 'on'.

Hooray! Everything looks much prettier, and lights reflect off surfaces to other surfaces. Technology!

Well, that's all I can think of. Good luck, Stalker.

Iriah on

• Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If anyones interested here is a mod manager for stalker http://gizmostripe.googlepages.com/ courtesy of the fine people at the something awful forums, I use it and it´s simple and nice :).

Also... GET OUT STALKER!

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh god, STALK TALK!

I have to mute my audio every time I go into the Bar now. That guy that sells information JUST WILL NOT SHUT UP.

Wait, this post is overly negative for the first page. PS. STALKER is brilliant, go and buy it, don't even worry if it won't run on your computer, just buy it and hug the box until you have a better computer.

PPS It's out NOW!

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't believe how unimpressed I am with this game. It looks terrible on my machine (Athlon64 3000+, 1GB PC2700, Radeon X850) and I don't seem to be hitting anyone unless I'm two feet away from them. None of the weapons feel satisfyingly meaty or pleasing in any way, and they certainly don't feel accurate. Normally I don't mind reading a lot of text but for some reason I feel no compunction whatsoever to read anything anyone "says" in the game, which renders the do-whatever-mission-you-want structure useless to me. I'm uninstalling it soon and passing the game onto a friend. And it's not exactly tasteful, is it?

Man, I dislike this game. I think there are some far better shooters out there.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tasteful...? I...what?

The text is a bit uninspiring, I suspect it may have something to do with shoddy translation. It doesn't exactely grip the reader. Weapon accuracy though...I guess the first few guns you get are shity, but once you get your first AK+scope, the guns just get more and more accurate.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh god, STALK TALK!

I have to mute my audio every time I go into the Bar now. That guy that sells information JUST WILL NOT SHUT UP.

If only someone would help me!

Get out of here stalker!

I've got some information that maybe of use to you!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I seriously regret using the storage box in the Bar as my main stash. Are there any neutrally positioned boxes anywhere that aren't actual stashes that would be more convenient and less annoying for forays into the red zone? I'm prepared to drag a carcass down into the bar, load all my shit onto it and then drag it sled-like someplace else.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DEL 707DEL 707 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cool list of mods, looks forward to trying a few once I complete the game, especially the weather overhaul, night time doesn't seem to be very dark and I can't say I've really noticed any fog so far.
    The summer rain :...:

God I want to kill him!

DEL 707 on
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man a mod that did like an auto save every 5-10 minutes would be nice, I keep forgetting to save, then I die and lose all my progress :(

Maybe I'm just not use to SP pc games yet.

klok on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh god, STALK TALK!

Get out of here stalker!

One of the mods in OP fixes this, by the way ;)

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    Oh god, STALK TALK!

Get out of here stalker!

One of the mods in OP fixes this, by the way ;)

Bah who would want that fixed?

It's nice knowing that duty guy will say "Get out of here stalker!" every single time you move past that single spot.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been looking at getting it, but haven't heard much about the RPG elements. Anyone want to tell me about those?

Randomtask on
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Randomtask wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting it, but haven't heard much about the RPG elements. Anyone want to tell me about those?

There aren't really any RPG elements.

You have to eat every so often but thats about it. Everything is based on the gun you are currently using and the suit you are currently wearing.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You have to eat every so often but thats about it. Everything is based on the gun you are currently using and the suit you are currently wearing.

Damn.

I wants me some gorramned Oblivion wif da gunzses.

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    edited April 2007

And the artifacts. You collect artifacts which increase or decrease your resistances to things like radiation, impacts, bullets, or give you boosted health regeneration or endurance.

Edit: No! Don't listen to him! He's a blasphemer! He's a madman!

Iriah on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

And the artifacts. You collect artifacts which increase or decrease your resistances to things like radiation, impacts, bullets, or give you boosted health regeneration or endurance.

Well, it may not be considered RPG-like in the traditional sense, but in many other ways it is definately an RPG.

You really do step into the role of a stalker, trying to survive, soaking up the atmosphere and unravelling the mystery of the zone.

Also, whilst there are few stats (your rank actually does figure into shooting damage apparently), the equipment which you acquire over the course does really give you a sense of increasing power.. plus learning how to play the damn game helps a lot too!

Its great, get it.

Docken on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am so going to christen my new PC/GFX card with this game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Docken wrote: »

Well, it may not be considered RPG-like in the traditional sense, but in many other ways it is definately an RPG.

You really do step into the role of a stalker, trying to survive, soaking up the atmosphere and unravelling the mystery of the zone.

Also, whilst there are few stats (your rank actually does figure into shooting damage apparently), the equipment which you acquire over the course does really give you a sense of increasing power.. plus learning how to play the damn game helps a lot too!

Its great, get it.

I suppose missing out on this level of awesome just because it didn't have stats that suddenly made a middle-aged Stalker into a god among men would mean I'm kind of a douche.

I suppose.

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That Realism Pro mod sounds badass. And the weather mod is cool.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Reposting from the old thread:
    damn.
    How am I supposed to steal these military documents? It's in the same area as Strelok's stash. There are people fuckin' everywhere.

Here is how I did it
    As you exit the sewers, try to remain hidden. At least until you are at a small sprinting distance of the building where the documents are hidden, and make a quick entrance. In both times I did the mission the guards outside do not enter the building.
    Once you are inside, make it to the third floor (I think the documents are stored at the third floor, check your mini map to be sure), be careful, there could be a couple of guards waiting for you in one of the two stairs that lead up.
    In the floor where the documents are stored, be careful, for there are at least 3 guards patrolling. Fortunately theres plenty of cover, so just be patient and just try to aim for the head. When all of them are down take the documents and return.
    The guards that are outside will still wait for you at the door, maximum walk by the windows and try to shoot you, so take cover for your advantage, be careful thou, maybe one or two may try to enter the building so they can lure you out of cover.
    Anyways, after taking down a few guards that await outside the building, it´s time for you to RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. And I mean run, exit the complex and follow the road, probably outside the base you´ll find another patrol of maybe two or three patrolmen. My advice is to avoid them by not following the road and instead taking a detour through the hills.

Anyways that worked for me, sorry for the horrible grammar :|

Alternatively
    You could run back to the tunnels, they only respawn some bandits after a while so it should still be empty. Exit through the original entrance and run in complete safety past the mostly empty other Agroprom building. Might be a small patrol of soldiers on the road leading out though.

Falx on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really want to play through this game again, but I really want to see it patched up first. It's kinda annoying, although hoping that they're actually taking the time to properly QC it.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Falx wrote: »
    damn.
    How am I supposed to steal these military documents? It's in the same area as Strelok's stash. There are people fuckin' everywhere.

Here is how I did it
    As you exit the sewers, try to remain hidden. At least until you are at a small sprinting distance of the building where the documents are hidden, and make a quick entrance. In both times I did the mission the guards outside do not enter the building.
    Once you are inside, make it to the third floor (I think the documents are stored at the third floor, check your mini map to be sure), be careful, there could be a couple of guards waiting for you in one of the two stairs that lead up.
    In the floor where the documents are stored, be careful, for there are at least 3 guards patrolling. Fortunately theres plenty of cover, so just be patient and just try to aim for the head. When all of them are down take the documents and return.
    The guards that are outside will still wait for you at the door, maximum walk by the windows and try to shoot you, so take cover for your advantage, be careful thou, maybe one or two may try to enter the building so they can lure you out of cover.
    Anyways, after taking down a few guards that await outside the building, it´s time for you to RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. And I mean run, exit the complex and follow the road, probably outside the base you´ll find another patrol of maybe two or three patrolmen. My advice is to avoid them by not following the road and instead taking a detour through the hills.

Alternatively
    You could run back to the tunnels, they only respawn some bandits after a while so it should still be empty. Exit through the original entrance and run in complete safety past the mostly empty other Agroprom building. Might be a small patrol of soldiers on the road leading out though.

When i did that mission, I think I already had it in my PDA when I went to do the Strelock's Stash mission, so it just continued progressively from there...
    I emerged from the sewers, snuck up the ladder of the watch tower nearby, put a bullet in the back of the head of the guy up there with a silenced pistol, descended the ladder again, made my way across the compound in the direction of the sewer grate again, found another tower to climb up, sat up there sniping most of the gurads outside, climbed back down, killed a few injured guards who retreated inside one of the bungalows, got inside the main building and just killed my way to the top and then back down again, had a little shootout with te reinforcements outside from the cover of the windows in the building then left through the gate farthest from the exit to the building which involved killing some guys at the gate and then killing a few more guys down the road at the downed hellicopter.

Yeah, basically, I just killed my way through that level. So long as you don't act like a gung-ho maniac it's fine. Find spots to snipe from, crouch behind cover, use the lean to shoot from behind cover, keep moving in open areas so you are harder to flank (be prepared to retreat to cover if you do get flanked) and always aim for the head. That's gotten me through the game pretty happily so far.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Falx wrote: »
    damn.

Here is how I did it

Alternatively

When i did that mission, I think I already had it in my PDA when I went to do the Strelock's Stash mission, so it just continued progressively from there...
    I emerged from the sewers, snuck up the ladder of the watch tower nearby, put a bullet in the back of the head of the guy up there with a silenced pistol, descended the ladder again, made my way across the compound in the direction of the sewer grate again, found another tower to climb up, sat up there sniping most of the gurads outside, climbed back down, killed a few injured guards who retreated inside one of the bungalows, got inside the main building and just killed my way to the top and then back down again, had a little shootout with te reinforcements outside from the cover of the windows in the building then left through the gate farthest from the exit to the building which involved killing some guys at the gate and then killing a few more guys down the road at the downed hellicopter.

Yeah, basically, I just killed my way through that level. So long as you don't act like a gung-ho maniac it's fine. Find spots to snipe from, crouch behind cover, use the lean to shoot from behind cover, keep moving in open areas so you are harder to flank (be prepared to retreat to cover if you do get flanked) and always aim for the head. That's gotten me through the game pretty happily so far.

I attacked on both gates a few times to get the guards attention and lure them that way - killed some too. Then I ran around the camp and snuck in through a hole in the wall. I sprinted right into the building, got the documents and went on to the roof and went down the emergeny ladder (which can't be used to climb the building, unfortunately. Then I went out the back again and travelled through the hills back to garage

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Important question, does this game try to be scary? Like, oooh, there's no lighting. Hey look, a monster behind you.

This will affect my procurement of the game.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    Important question, does this game try to be scary? Like, oooh, there's no lighting. Hey look, a monster behind you.

It's doesn't try to be scary, it achieves scariness effortlessly.

You will occasionally find yourself in situations with no lighting and then hey look, a monster behind you but they generally aren't scripted. It just so happens that some bloodsucker has decided to creep up behind you while you were wandering around in the dark. I guess that makes it scarier, because the scares are often incidental and therefore less predictable.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So the suggestions of addons are quite intriguing to me.
    As a side note, I noticed that Pripryat is in the location where the town of Chernobyl is supposed to be, except much closer.
    I just thought that was odd.

So, the possibility that the regions north of the power plant will be openned. I like that.
    BTW, is the map oriented north to the top? if not, and it is oriented to the left, then, I was wrong on my Pripyat comment, yet the power plant is off on its orientation.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You will occasionally find yourself in situations with no lighting and then hey look, a monster behind you but they generally aren't scripted. It just so happens that some bloodsucker has decided to creep up behind you while you were wandering around in the dark. I guess that makes it scarier, because the scares are often incidental and therefore less predictable.
    Well. I guess I'll never be playing this then. Unfortunate.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Machismo wrote: »
    So the suggestions of addons are quite intriguing to me.
    As a side note, I noticed that Pripryat is in the location where the town of Chernobyl is supposed to be, except much closer.
    I just thought that was odd.

So, the possibility that the regions north of the power plant will be openned. I like that.
    BTW, is the map oriented north to the top? if not, and it is oriented to the left, then, I was wrong on my Pripyat comment, yet the power plant is off on its orientation.

They've kind of taken liberties with the geography. I remember reading that they flipped it because it felt more natural to proceed from bottom to top, but I could be wrong. Personally I'd have preferred it if they did it as close as possible to real life, but that's just me.

Edit: Regarding scariness...

Snorks were really scary when I first met them. They'd leap around, they'd snort unsettlingly in the darkness, and you'd notice little things on the model like having a gas mask full of blood.

But then they started breakdancing at me.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Haha! That's great, your such a girl.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yay, a nice consolidated thread.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'd say its more about tension than scariness.

You're walking around in what appears to be nothing more than an abandoned village, when from out of sight there comes a spine-sapping roar, its enough to make any Stalker turn tail and run. And then the heavy panting, the growls, always out of sight but following you closely as you run. You go to ground in one of the dilapidated houses, putting your back to the wall and sighting down your gun at the door... and after more than a minute of silence, you still don't know whether its safe to try to run...

Sepah on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bloodsuckers are fun. They don't need darkness to come after you all sneaky-like. Actually I find them harder to spot in the daytime because the eye-glow doesn't stick out as much.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sepah wrote: »

I'd say its more about tension than scariness.

You're walking around in what appears to be nothing more than an abandoned village, when from out of sight there comes a spine-sapping roar, its enough to make any Stalker turn tail and run. And then the heavy panting, the growls, always out of sight but following you closely as you run. You go to ground in one of the dilapidated houses, putting your back to the wall and sighting down your gun at the door... and after more than a minute of silence, you still don't know whether its safe to try to run...

Honestly it's not that bad.

Well the underground bits are.

And the bits outdoors with mutants.

And pretty much the second part of the game.

And any part where you have to fight packs of dogs at night.

And sometimes when your weapons jam/run out of ammo.

But hey it's still not as bad as System Shock 2.

Brolo on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Enabling motion blur

In your root drive\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\STALKER-SHOC directory in Windows XP, or the Users\Public\Documents\STALKER-SHOC directory in Windows Vista there's a file called User.ltx
    You can use this file to adjust individual elements of the game i greater detail then with the in game settings.

It's hardly recommended that you fiddle with crap, but here's a neat trick to enable motion blurring. Open the file in Notepad, and run a search for r2_mblur.

r2_mblur [0.000 - 1.000] - This option controls motion blurring in the game. 0 is off, .1's a fairly realistic value, I personally use .14, and 1.0 is excessive blurring. Enter your desired blur value here.

"C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -mblur

And there, you're done!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

"Babies need meat." D:D:D:

STALKER has its unsettling atmosphere pretty much nailed, but it's impossible to top the wall-to-wall creepiness of SS2.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

STALKER has its unsettling atmosphere pretty much nailed, but it's impossible to top the wall-to-wall creepiness of SS2.

Truth. There's something pretty unsettling about a guy beating your face in with a length of pipe while he's moaning 'I'm ........ SORRY!!!' at you.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Enabling motion blur

And there, you're done!

Why would you want motion blur though? I thought that was only for racing games when you go really fast.

Etch on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Etch wrote: »
    Enabling motion blur

And there, you're done!

Why would you want motion blur though? I thought that was only for racing games when you go really fast.

Slight blur when sprinting and when turning quickly around to shoot at bad guys. It's pretty cool.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DEL 707DEL 707 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

While playing that game, I wish my brain had a "Delete > Empty Recycle Bin > KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!" function for memories, so that I could actual sleep at night D:

DEL 707 on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SS2 definitely has the survival thing going. I've had a number of games where I had to reload several saves back because the AI cornered me into a remote location of the ship, low on health and ammo. The creatures never creeped me out, though.

Now what's really creepy are the zombies and ghosts in Thief. Especially the ghosts. Fucking freaky backwards talking motherfuckers. D:

Doronron on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did the patch fix up the problems with quicksaves? Is there a workaround?

Synthetic Orange on
This discussion has been closed.