Options

"I said come in! Don't just stand there!" (S.T.A.L.K. T.A.L.K.)

• Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    zeeny wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »
    I have a raging desire to play this game, why do I find myself absolutely unable to follow the PDA's map? I've picked "Take care of the 2 guys @ the Garbage" as a second mission and I pretty much can't get there(assuming my PDA actually shows the right direction.). I'm certain that the last time I tried playing STALKER I had the exact same problem but with a different mission. Is there some part about map navigation that I'm missing? I haven't had an issue like that with any other game in the last 15 years, but quiet obviously I'm doing something wrong here.
    :?

What exactly do you mean? When you hit the little crosshair next to the task, it should zoom in on where it is unless it's one of those special/indoor missions; conversely, the map'll have a little bubble over the objective with a description. Then it's just a matter of following the roads/paths and stuff.

Do they not show up at all for you or something?

I'm trying to follow the arrow that is always at the border of my map screen showing me which direction I'm supposed to go and I'm unable to get there, as in - heavy anomalies or wire. I'm pretty sure that the game is functioning fine and the way it's supposed to be, so, quiet probably I'm doing something wrong. I'm looking for a specific input on that mission is the location REALLY on the other fucking side of the world or do I not understand how does the PDA function?
    If the quest location is on another "map," the target reticle will be placed at the exit location of the current map. If it's two maps away, then when you get to the second map, you will get another reticle on the exit of that one. Make sense?

I'm going to guess that you're very early on in the game. Some of the random side quests are kind of stupid early in the game because you wouldn't want to have to run through a bunch of maps, skipping the important parts of the game or story just to get there. I would let the time limit run out and get another quest in the same vein. They're not that important, just for flavor or a few extra bucks.

You mentioned wire and anomalies. Are you talking about that raised railway with the path blocked by the military? If you follow it along to the east, there is a gap in the wire. Probe around and look for a path that doesn't radiate you heavily.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks to both of you. I'll try playing the game again. I had not realized the checkpoints bit and railway wire & east is pretty much where my problem was. I haven't been able to located the non-radiated pathway in that direction, but if you say there is one, I'll find the fucker for sure. I'm trying again and hopefully will get to somewhere as I find the game's ambience quiet enjoyable.

zeeny on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh god..

X18 is a nightmare in Stalker Rebalanced D:D:D:D:D:

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh god..

Burers are bastards of the highest caliber. You're going along happily gunning down poltergeists and all of a sudden
    hey what's with this mutant dwarf thing flinging shit at me WTF IT'S BLOCKING MY BULLETS THAT'S BULLSHIT WHAT THE FUCK MAN WHAT THE *death*

Of course, once you figure out they can only block bullets coming at them from the front, it's relatively smooth sailing. Grenades are also an option. Then those fuckers start showing up in Cordon D:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah some of the rebalancing mods make late enemies appear earlier, which I don't like. For instance, I encountered a bloodsucker in Cordon and a poltergeist underneath Agroprom.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Stolls wrote: »
    Oh god..

Burers are bastards of the highest caliber. You're going along happily gunning down poltergeists and all of a sudden
    hey what's with this mutant dwarf thing flinging shit at me WTF IT'S BLOCKING MY BULLETS THAT'S BULLSHIT WHAT THE FUCK MAN WHAT THE *death*

Of course, once you figure out they can only block bullets coming at them from the front, it's relatively smooth sailing. Grenades are also an option. Then those fuckers start showing up in Cordon D:

Well I have the big game rifle and the super desert eagle so killing stuff isnt a problem. But the super lightning and shadows and additional mindtrip effects are crazy. Combined with the fact that literally anything could be around the next corner (and usually is) is fucking insane.

I will say all the new spawning and enemy vs mutant stuff makes the game way more interesting. Having a shootout with some guys and then a pack of rats run through and distracts them all giving you a chance to slip by and pick them off. So good.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I reinstalled Stalker and am using the Oblivion Lost mod this time round (I used Faiakes Mod last time) and I'm have a wonderful time.

My only issue is that if I happen to get caught in a radiation breakout there is no way to survive it. I run really slowly, then get the super skull and crossbones near-death radiation instantly, then just die in a matter of seconds. I'm right near the beginning of the game too (Just on my way to Garbage for the first time) so I don't have any anti-radiation medical things, just some vodka; and vodka isn't that good for treating radiation what with the shaky vision and having to drink multiple bottles just to cure even mild radiation.

I will slough through those parts though, because everything else is amazing.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not actually sure my Oblivion Lost mod is installed properly, but you should be able to stave off the random blow outs with a radiation reducing artifact, or - failing that - any structure should really do. You generally have time to get to some sort of structure for security, and I'm fairly sure the radiation is only a problem anywhere wtihout a good ceiling (so, anywhere you're out of the rain). You still wont be able to run, but you should be able to sit around until the radiation is gone.

I was able to run from the railway embankment all the way to the dealer in Cordon before the actual radiation hit. The ambient noise sometimes interupts the beginning of them, and you don't quite know if it's a blow out until slightly later sometimes.

...Then again, the first time it happened to me I was still able to run when everyone else was falling down around me, so I think it might be a bit buggy (despite the creators' arrogant claims of 'my mod is bug free'). Then again, I'm not entirely sure it's functioning correctly, since I thought the checkpoints between areas were somehow altered (or at least, new ones added), but that's not the case for me. Although I do have the dwarves and more baddies in some areas (and the rats attacking along with the controller don't seem fair), and crazy psychic dog things that give you effective double vision (it's a good disorienting effect, more effective than most 'drunk effects' I've seen. Plus the lack of sleep giving you double vision is also neat.

Also, for the guy who seems sort of lost: there is a path over the railroad embankment, but it's also possible to completely lower your weapon and to pay the military guys for passage. It's not all that difficult to get around them anyway, but there's that second option.

It's fairly far down the tracks, but if you reach the railway tunnel you've gone too far (although I think you can see the railway tunnel from where the break in the fence is).

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    God damn! The vehicles have such epic (read: terrible) handling in this game!

I was just about to go under Agropom when I spied a car in the distance. I sprinted over to it, started the engine, and took off. It started off a little slow but then suddenly picked up a LOT of speed. I did a few careful laps around the Lab when I finally decided to return to the manhole so I could enter the underground. I took the final turn just a bit too fast, hit a tree stump, and the car did about twenty barrel rolls through the air before finally smashing into a tree and landing on its roof.

I heard moans and I looked out the window. There was a pack of those lanky human-like creatures surrounding my overturned car! I leap out of the car and mow one down with my AK before I sprint and jump into the manhole to safety.

It was so cool! I forgot how badass open-ended games can be.

Giga Gopher on
    Cannon+Goose.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How to I get through high rad areas?

how do I use bolts?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How to I get through high rad areas?

how do I use bolts?

High rad areas you won't be able to go through until you get some anti-rad artefacts.

Bolts can be equipped with the '6' key.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes, but what to use bolts for?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes, but what to use bolts for?

Throw bolts at anomalies to trigger them. Bolts are so you can see how much area of effect anomalies have so they are easier to avoid.

Or you can just throw them around for fun!

Giga Gopher on
    Cannon+Goose.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thank you

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, I think a mod might have gipped me out of a good ending.

Mid-game-ish spoilers (just after Yantar)
    So I have the quest to go chat with the Guide, who apparently is hanging out around Cordon. And he certainly is... He's just been dead for almost half my game. Long before I had the quest, I noticed a fresh corspe hanging around Fox's little house, with the odd name of "Guide." I went to Agropom to find the doctor (as I assume that is the next step were the Guide alive), and there was nothing new there. Is the Strelok quest completely cut off now? Is there perhaps a console command I could use to spawn a new Guide?

Edit: Problem solved. The trader sells information that dead quest NPCs drop. Awesome.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want to play this again with some mods.

General recommendations? I'd also like some that make repairing a bit easier, and one that lets me carry more stuff.

captaink on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm grabbing Faiakes, looks like it has all that and more.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    captaink wrote: »

General recommendations? I'd also like some that make repairing a bit easier, and one that lets me carry more stuff.

Axe's Compilation Mod covers both of those bases handily, along with a few other nice additions. And I recently threw together this little thing which has a bare-bones 'make the game faster, prettier and less broken' folder, and one that includes some bigger changes (including the ACM, by the by). If you're not looking for major revamps of the game itself (Oblivion Lost, etc.), those should get you started on the right foot.

Stolls on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does anyone know a mod that increases your carry weight? I tried Endurance Mod by gullgotha but it corrupts my save files and I can't load a game that was saved with it. It looks like it was written for 1.001 so is there a similar mod for 1.005?

Aiserou on
  • Options
    Sushi_KSushi_K Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just got back into this after a hiatus (waiting for a few patches to accumulate) and I'm still having the same problem from before. About 80% of the time I try to load a saved game I get a CTD with the message "XR_3DA.exe caused a breakpoint in xcore.dll" or some such nonsense.

I'm running v1.0005 with just a couple of basic mods(no time limits, flashlight range, real gun names, HUD and blood). I've tried the /3gb switch, removing all mods, and using static lighting, all to no avail. Ideas?

Sushi_K on
    Inyourendo!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Looks like another multiplayer patch is out. No rush on 1.1 I guess, I won't be replaying this game until most of my backlog is done. :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you want mods check out ABC Inferno, it's a little warty, but adds some totally sweet stuff.

Also AMK is good, makes the npcs actually compete with you for rank, they also report news and info but a lot of it is in russian.

Both mods are expected to be updated pretty soon.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Curses! Double post, sorry.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Axe's Compilation Mod covers both of those bases handily, along with a few other nice additions. And I recently threw together this little thing which has a bare-bones 'make the game faster, prettier and less broken' folder, and one that includes some bigger changes (including the ACM, by the by). If you're not looking for major revamps of the game itself (Oblivion Lost, etc.), those should get you started on the right foot.

Just wanted to thank you for putting together that mod compilation, Stolls. Not only does the game look better than ever, but the difference in performance is outstanding. I can really crank my settings up higher than on my first vanilla playthrough, and it still runs smoother. Sadly I think I need to do some further troubleshooting, because it likes to crash to the desktop if I try to load a save (which doesn't go well with a game like Stalker). Also is there a way to turn the head bobbing back on? I know it's weird, but I'm used to it by now. Will turning it on via the ZRP mod override the seperate one?

Entriech on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    oh god I've been looking for this thread

I just reinstalled this two days ago, because I had a hankerin' for open world stuff and wanted that post-apoc vibe. No other game really delivers.

So I installed Oblivion Lost and this UI mod and went at it

Now, I've played STALKER twice before, but never got more than a couple hours into it. I never got to the bar before really, always just kind of roamed the starting area.
    The farthest I did get was I went down into the tunnels and met some freakish psychic monster that grabs your screen and pulls it toward it. I had a heart attack right there and then and just quit the game, never replaying it.

So here I am again, playing. I love it, it's just...there are things in this game that were not meant to be. Just knowing they're there makes me really jumpy so soldiers (who are amazingly quiet) can really freak me out if they catch me by surprise and start unloading into me.

Anyway, I was wandering around, trying to find the 'perfect suit' thing when a blowout started happening. Knowing there was a tunnel like structure ahead I started moving towards it.
    Some rabid dogs started attacking me. No problem, pop...pop...pop...po-OHGOD WHAT IS THAT!

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6404/ohgodpu9.jpg
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1938/ohgod2fh3.jpg

I didn't scream, but I felt all the blood run from my face when my vision came out of a whiteout and I saw this thing lumbering towards me.
    Just unloaded into it, killed it, and ran in the opposite direction.

I'm at the bar now, did first three arena fights and swapped out some of my gear for new guns and such. Going to head out and do some little mini-quests before tackling X18. I don't know how far I will make it...

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I would love to just sit in the same room as you while you play this game. :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So question, I'm planning on getting stalker finally at some point, but would it be better to get the boxed or the steam version?

Can i do mods with the steam version?

Burgu on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    o
    Anyway, I was wandering around, trying to find the 'perfect suit' thing when a blowout started happening. Knowing there was a tunnel like structure ahead I started moving towards it.
    Some rabid dogs started attacking me. No problem, pop...pop...pop...po-OHGOD WHAT IS THAT!

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6404/ohgodpu9.jpg
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1938/ohgod2fh3.jpg

I didn't scream, but I felt all the blood run from my face when my vision came out of a whiteout and I saw this thing lumbering towards me.
    Just unloaded into it, killed it, and ran in the opposite direction.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?

I've played through the entire game and never saw that thing. Is that something this Oblivion Lost you speak of introduces?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Burgu wrote: »
    So question, I'm planning on getting stalker finally at some point, but would it be better to get the boxed or the steam version?

Steam auto-patches the game, so the mods have to be compatible with the latest version. Or perhaps just 1.0004 since that was the last version that actually changed some single player content I think.

If you are going to go nuts with the mods, I'd get the boxed version. If you just want a few here and there, then it doesn't really matter.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There are several mutants that are partially implemented but not actually used in the game that mods like to turn on in my experience. I remember I played a game that had blowouts in the cordon and then all these mutants came out of nowhere. There were all kinds of rare mutants fuckin up the rookie loner camp.

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Burgu wrote: »

Steam auto-patches the game, so the mods have to be compatible with the latest version. Or perhaps just 1.0004 since that was the last version that actually changed some single player content I think.

If you are going to go nuts with the mods, I'd get the boxed version. If you just want a few here and there, then it doesn't really matter.

1.0004 mods on a 1.0005 install can sometimes fuck up your saves. I had to restart a game 3 hours in because all my saves were ruined by a simple flashlight mod that was made for 1.0004. Just stick to 1.0005 mods and you'll be fine (and there are a lot of them).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    I would love to just sit in the same room as you while you play this game. :)

In open world games like this I like to poke around, so with STALKER, poking around usually ends up with you in some strange corner of the map or some dark tunnel surrounded by mutants.

I don't yelp or scream or anything, but some of the things in this game (or anything that takes me by surprise like a soldier standing behind me who suddenly starts shooting) just make me jump a bit and send my mind all fizzy-like with terror.

Usually after killing these things (like a bloodersucker or that long limbed dude) I just lean back in my chair and regain my composure.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think this is going to be my next Steam purchase.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Entriech wrote: »

Just wanted to thank you for putting together that mod compilation, Stolls. Not only does the game look better than ever, but the difference in performance is outstanding. I can really crank my settings up higher than on my first vanilla playthrough, and it still runs smoother. Sadly I think I need to do some further troubleshooting, because it likes to crash to the desktop if I try to load a save (which doesn't go well with a game like Stalker). Also is there a way to turn the head bobbing back on? I know it's weird, but I'm used to it by now. Will turning it on via the ZRP mod override the seperate one?

In reverse order:

Yeah, the ZRP modifier directly alters ltx files, so it can override any redundant mods even if it's installed beforehand. Just checked, and you can turn headbobbing back on through it.

CTD on loading saves? My first guess would be if you installed the mods and played from a previous save; unfortunately, that's one of the things I didn't get to test much, and it's a known problem with Stalker's patches, let alone mods. Try starting a new game, quicksaving, and then loading that save a few times to see if the error repeats. It may also be a specific mod that's being troublesome; if it's an option, remove the gamedata folder and install just the ZRP - if anything would work without reservation, that'd be it.

If you've the time and inclination, testing individual mods is a sure-fire way to isolate the problem. Basically, start with one mod, run the game from scratch, and make a copy of the gamedata folder if it works (you'll usually know within minutes if there's a problem; the sleep mod, for instance, caused a crash with 1.0005 after talking to the first random stalker). Then add the next mod, test it, and add it to the copy if that works as well, and so on down the line. This is obviously time-consuming - it's how I assembled the compilation, which took about three hours in total, not counting time spent backtracking to be compatible with Steam/1.0005 - and requires some folder juggling, but it's guaranteed to isolate the mod causing the problem and make backtracking to remove it as painless as possible.

Hope this is helpful, and glad to know people are enjoying the package :)

Dibs on the Clear Sky LP!

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5051/awgg2.jpg

Hey...my binoculars are picking up something over that hill

What could it be...oh...oh no.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5168/aw2uo1.jpg

I've been taking an obscene amount of screenshots just of various wildlife, situations, packs, etc. Considering doing some kind of STALKER safari blog or something...think it would be interesting enough?

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'd read it. Oblivion Lost sounds like ten kinds of awesome :^:

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stolls wrote:

Dibs on the Clear Sky LP!

I can't imagine anyone else would want to compete with yours. :D That STALKER LP was unbelievable. I just beat it, and my experience was made considerably better by following along with your LP (especially when you explain or provide some justification (whether its canon or not) for what's happening), playing a section and then reading how you did it.

Anyway, enough LP gushing. I have a mod question! I'm looking to set up a bit of a New-game+ for myself, where I start with the Military armor, my Modified Winchester (Combat Chaser in vanilla I believe) and the Vintorez (which disappeared right after the Duty general handed it to me :( ). I'd also love a mod that'll let me toss the Shotgun in my pistol slot.

Any ideas?

Evangir on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I will say this.

Despite the bugs, despite the crashes, despite the story kind of falling apart towards the end; this was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I have never been in any way anxious about going out at night in a video game, but STALKER made me want to sit in the bar until daybreak because nighttime was just a little too intense for my liking.

Yeah, it has flaws, but in my mind they're outdone by some of the sheer brilliance in terms of setting and gameplay. Had a ton of fun with it, and cannot wait for Clear Sky.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So how about that Weather Overhaul? It's one of the biggest mods out there, and it sounds great, but won't all the added textures, day length changes and darker nights tweaks addle up the gameplay?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So how about that Weather Overhaul? It's one of the biggest mods out there, and it sounds great, but won't all the added textures, day length changes and darker nights tweaks addle up the gameplay?

Weather Overhaul is a must. I was playing with the Static version (which, by the way, caused no performance dips), and it made the already freakishly spooky atmosphere even better. I was afraid of going out at night. I actually camped out with a bunch of other Stalkers until daytime at one point. It's huge.

Evangir on
This discussion has been closed.