Options

"I said come in! Don't just stand there!" (S.T.A.L.K. T.A.L.K.)

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    After you do the thing with Bes, if you go further 'up' you'll run into the bandit camp as well as a ton of instantly fatal whirly things. There are 3 artifacts. 2 are Souls and one is Meat Chunk.

soulpy9.jpg

Magus` on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You find some really cool artifacts if you poke around a little. You pretty much have to either carefully navigate the whirligigs or circle around through radiation to get at the souls, but it's doable.

Also, that's health regeneration, not health. You still have the same amount, it just comes back faster. A pair of souls means you're basically Wolverine, provided you bother to equip armor at some point. They do make you more vulnerable to damage, however, so it's usually a better idea to equip them behind cover, or when you're just traveling.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was told by some Duty members to go kill a Freedom sniper. I get to the Freedom base and into the main base of operation.

I notice a guy guarding a bunch of stuff. He won't let me pass. I wait until everyone is not around and then I stab him in the face. I now have an Armor of Freedom (or something worth 12,500) and a nice automatic rifle.

Anything else I should consider? I have over 100,000 rubles or whatnot and the Barkeep isn't selling anything good.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    I was told by some Duty members to go kill a Freedom sniper. I get to the Freedom base and into the main base of operation.

I notice a guy guarding a bunch of stuff. He won't let me pass. I wait until everyone is not around and then I stab him in the face. I now have an Armor of Freedom (or something worth 12,500) and a nice automatic rifle.

Anything else I should consider? I have over 100,000 rubles or whatnot and the Barkeep isn't selling anything good.

Consider heading out to Yantar. The scientists usually have some nice stuff for sale, especially better shotguns and occasionally an exoskeleton (though I haven't been able to duplicate this reliably). If you haven't been through Wild Territory yet,
    you'll come across some scientists under attack by mercenaries. If you save the lead scientist and get him to Yantar, the trader at the mobile lab gives you a free scientist's suit.

You might also find something useful with Skinflint at the Freedom base; he's in the main building and is also a trader, but by default (as in, without mods) he has limited cash.

Incidentally, urge to Let's Play this game rising.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm not sure where he is. The building is completely empty. None of the soldiers I can find are hostile, just.. half of them aren't there. I didn't even get to talk to the main guy!

Magus` on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    So does that mean I'll have 1,200% more health or 360,000%? ;p

That'd be 1,200 which is pretty crazy.

Hell, I don't think I've even heard of a "Soul" artifact before. Where'd you grab em?

Sorry to crash your party but when they say "Health" they mean "Regeneration."

It's still a decent choice.

Iriah on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Even when the game is buggy it's still fun. The whole Freedom/Duty attack utterly failed on both ends. They send me in to take out a sniper who...strangely enough...is shooting at me before I'm even near him (considering he's supposed to be neutral, I think), so he get's taken out and I grab his rifle), then I head back, and they all charge at the wall before I can even hand in my mission for a reward. They blow the wall and suddenly there's alwarms and bullets everywhere. Bodies and random grenades fly all over. I heal people from both sides just to see what's happening...

...Everyone is annihalated. Only like 10 guys in the base survived. Apparently there's a trader in there at some point, but he's among the very numerous dead. Even the armory is left undefended. Awesome.

(now if my computer was better I could have done something useful in that battle)

Also, the guards around the bar just randomly attack me sometimes when the level loads, and I need to reload it, which is kind of strange (because apparently my reputation just randomly drops or something). Also, screw that guy in the wharehouse who's always shouting "Get out of here, Stalker!" Dude, there's no other way through the town, chill out.

Also: don't worry about money, you'll find all the good stuff...and you'll just waste your time dragging expensive weapons back from the Red Forest back to The Bar...

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay, I want that huge pistol in the vice in the trader's back room.

I don't care what it is or whether it's good or not, I just want it because it's locked in a room and I can see it.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm in some underground area and I have to turn off a bunch of machines. Problem is, if I enter the place where I'm supposed to turn them off I start taking massive 'Psi' damage. I have a timer in the corner, but it doesn't seem to mean anything.

Edit - And I try to turn the switch, but it won't let me?

Magus` on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In order to avoid the psi damage completely, you have to help the scientists at Yantar to properly calibrate the psi helmet. As I have never failed in keeping the scientist alive, I do know know whether a failed mission will only grant you a half working psi helmet, or a shorter time limit in order to accomplish the mission.

Also, try putting the crosshairs on the switch itself in order to turn off the machine.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Helmet? What Helmet?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Regarding the scientists:
    If you saved Kruglov in Wild Territory, you'll have the opportunity to get a psi-helmet, which protects you long enough to shut down the emitter. Speak with him when he's done talking to Sakharov and offer to help; he needs to take two measurements nearby and you have to keep him alive until he's done. Once he's finished, follow him back to the lab - or, if he dies, grab his PDA and take it back yourself.

As an aside, he's one of the only NPCs I've been able to coax into picking up a better weapon. I usually toss him an SMG, since he has 9x19mm ammo for his pistol, though it's not really necessary.

Anyway, a properly tuned helmet protects you for about four minutes once you get close to the emitter; I believe you get half the time if Kruglov didn't get enough measurements. Once the timer's gone, you take damage every few seconds.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay, so, I used to play this game on a old system, but I gots me a dual core, 2 gobs of rams and a ATI HD2900XT.... And vista.....
    What do you recommend in terms of patches and mods so I can kill some blood suckers and dogs?
    (Is there a mod that disables the whole armour degeneration thing? Just a thought.)

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Stolls wrote: »
    If you saved Kruglov in Wild Territory, you'll have the opportunity to get a psi-helmet, which protects you long enough to shut down the emitter. Speak with him when he's done talking to Sakharov and offer to help; he needs to take two measurements nearby and you have to keep him alive until he's done. Once he's finished, follow him back to the lab - or, if he dies, grab his PDA and take it back yourself.

As an aside, he's one of the only NPCs I've been able to coax into picking up a better weapon. I usually toss him an SMG, since he has 9x19mm ammo for his pistol, though it's not really necessary.

Anyway, a properly tuned helmet protects you for about four minutes once you get close to the emitter; I believe you get half the time if Kruglov didn't get enough measurements. Once the timer's gone, you take damage every few seconds.

He does not offer me this quest. My only option is 'See ya!'

Magus` on
  • Options
    Avoid SpikesAvoid Spikes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've got a question (with minor spoilers): I wanted to join Duty, but "Skull" got his dumb ass killed during the Freedom assault (while I was off killing the sniper). So, plan B, I wanted to join Freedom, but after the assault on the farmhouse, the Freedom leader ("Max" or whatever) won't let me clear the mission because he never gets back to the Freedom base -- he just walks directly into the wall and stands there, walking in place. (Ironically, the rest of the Freedom squad knows how to get back.)

So: is there any way to join either of these organizations once Skull is dead and Max loses his sense of direction? Should I bother? Please help. Thanks.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've never been able to find a good reason to join any of the factions. Other than the irrational desire to see a bunch of green dots on the radar.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You don't need Skull to join Duty. Hell, I'm not even sure he gives you the choice.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone else constantly lead the army guys at the beginning to the first base/camp?
    So much fun....

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's a good way to score a good weapon and a fair amount of ammo. Also, as long as Wolf survives, all the other 'peon's will respawn eventually.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    He died on my first try... Man, the squad that gets sent after the first three scouts totally surprised me :D

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I finally got this to run properly. It kept freezing, exiting to desktop and then refreshing and sometimes weird shapes and colours would just appear and it'd freeze. I'm using an Ati Radeon X1300 Pro on a 2.4GHz AMd Athlon Dual core with XP. It turns out all Ihad to do was increase the page file size to around 500mb more than the windows default. It works like a charm now. It could also have been because I rolled back my Catalyst driver but I doubt its that.

I'm so fucking giddy right now. I just got to Canton and saved Fox's arse. And all with out a freeze. (Well, some stutters but that's natural)

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So... they released that major patch yet?

Brolo on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I finally got an exo-skeleton at the end of the game. Then I shot 5 more guys and the game was over.

SEVA suit FTW.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The SEVA suit is inferior to that green science suit.

At least, it was in my game.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Stolls wrote: »

He does not offer me this quest. My only option is 'See ya!'

Gah, sorry, thread got buried again before I even saw this. I think you only get the quest once you've been to Dark Valley
    and delivered the documents from X18 to the barkeep.

And yeah, the scientist guard suit is slightly better than the SEVA in terms of environmental protection, and I think they have identical bullet resistance. Somewhere in the game there's an exoskeleton that has the awesome sciencey night vision, but I haven't found it yet.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ..... There's a gameover? :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    so, what do you think - float32 shaders or the Ultra Graphics mod? (seems like together they kill performance). i'm not sure how noticeable float32 is - but the ultra mod was definitely noticeable. in fact i thought the light sources were a bit too bright, but i assume that can be adjusted down.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    float32 actually improves performance as well as making the visuals nicer.

And the Ultra mod cranks your Brightness and Contrast to super high levels.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    but ultra also turns on bloom, dynamic skies, and other dynamic lighting. with the float32 shaders it seems to cause extreme performance loss. each on its on seem to run fine. i'll just have to test them both out more to see what i prefer i guess.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, when I carry more weight than I should I don't notice anything change. What's happening? It's not like in NWN where you flat out can't move.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, when I carry more weight than I should I don't notice anything change. What's happening? It's not like in NWN where you flat out can't move.

You can carry an excess of 50kg's, and you will lose stamina faster (little bar in the lower left hand corner)

When it hits 60, you cannot move at all.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

You can carry an excess of 50kg's, and you will lose stamina faster (little bar in the lower left hand corner)

When it hits 60, you cannot move at all.

Ahh, ok.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    Cold KoalaCold Koala Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    I finally got an exo-skeleton at the end of the game. Then I shot 5 more guys and the game was over.

SEVA suit FTW.

You're not done. You got one of the bad endings. You have quite a trek left, through the most fun part of the game.

Cold Koala on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cold Koala wrote: »

SEVA suit FTW.

You're not done. You got one of the bad endings. You have quite a trek left, through the most fun part of the game.

I thought the Warehouses were the most fun part, but it is a hefty trek to the 'better' endings.

Crazy reason I don't consider the last level quite as fun:
    Those portals were a bit confusing at first; generally in this game I avoid anything glowing and potentially dangerous, and it is counter-intuitive to just start walking into anomalies. I was stumped for a good 10 minutes, jumping down to my radiation-filled death, trying to find out where I was supposed to go from that back door.

And man, I wish I had a better computer, because the last part is so atmospheric, where you're standing infront of the CNPP sign with the 'dedicated to V. I. Lenin' all in cyrillic (incase anyone had been wondering what the ЧАЭС имени В. И. Ленин was about). And then you get the intense gunfire and the glowing sky and a bunch of fighting all around you.

And no one should complain about th 50kg limit. First: you really don't need that much money. You'll spend so much time carrying around loot that you'll end up not needing - you should just drop all those extra guns right now. Second: that's like carrying a small refrigerator with you...stocked with food...And another 20lb weight.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cold Koala wrote: »

SEVA suit FTW.

No I was done with the good ending.
    I went behind the secret door, destroyed the monolith hologram, then decided not to help them out. So I had to fight some more and go through a ton of portals. I didn't find an exo suit until the end of that fighting. I had one more little fight, went through another portal and shot up everyone in C-Project (or whatever it was called). Then i fell into a field of grass laughing and falling asleep in the sun (the zone was gone I guess)

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    well i remember there only being two in the game
    one in the tomb surrounded by whirly anomolies in the city. the other inside the monolith, well before you pick an ending. maybe one dropped off the exo troopers you fight at the end?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, I'm in a post-apocalyptic mood nowadays, so I decided to reinstall this baby.

What mods should I get to re-invigorate a second playthrough? I have the STEAM version, if that makes a difference.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, I'm in a post-apocalyptic mood nowadays, so I decided to reinstall this baby.

What mods should I get to re-invigorate a second playthrough? I have the STEAM version, if that makes a difference.
    Presidential primaries put you in that mood? ;-)

Stolls just put out a guide: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=4690867#post4690867

(Lame link of a link used because that thread also contains some recent chatter about mods.)

Oh, and steam means you are automatically at 1.0005, so just make sure the mods you download are compatible with that game version. Some are just for 1.0004.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    krylon666 wrote: »
    well i remember there only being two in the game
    one in the tomb surrounded by whirly anomolies in the city. the other inside the monolith, well before you pick an ending. maybe one dropped off the exo troopers you fight at the end?

I just found the power armor at the same place as Slim.
    Right before the final fight in the REAL GOOD ENDING

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

Presidential primaries put you in that mood? ;-)

Stolls just put out a guide: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=4690867#post4690867

(Lame link of a link used because that thread also contains some recent chatter about mods.)

Oh, and steam means you are automatically at 1.0005, so just make sure the mods you download are compatible with that game version. Some are just for 1.0004.

Thank you. Will the mods in the compilation work with 1.0005?

Professor Phobos on
This discussion has been closed.