As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    If someone was ready to spend $700+ on getting all of those Amiibo, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be put off at the thought of another $250 for completing the shrine to their collection.

How long have you been advertising that you're making them? Seems like word will spread and you'll have more business before you know it.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    If I had the space to display those, I would be ordering tons of them. And I'm a cheap sonuvabitch. They look really well done and durable.

I think once word gets out you'll be seeing a lot of interest.

Can you link where you posted that you're selling these? I may even have some friends that might be interested.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Curious - can you print about anything on aluminum? Like let's say card backs from Star Wars action figures...

• Options
    Curious - can you print about anything on aluminum? Like let's say card backs from Star Wars action figures...

I could, you'd just have to provide the artwork you wanted me to use. Thankfully in the case of the amiibos someone on DeviantArt made a nice Photoshop template that I'm able to go in and manipulate easily.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Interesting, thanks for the info...I might get back to you at some point.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Good luck to those braving GS tomorrow morning!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      So post here about how successful your trip to Gamestop is tomorrow. I'm interested to see how this works.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
      edited August 2015
      I went into Best Buy to pick up an order and meandered over to the Amiibo section first to see if there might be any hidden treasures.

If you were expecting me to find some ultra-rare one then prepare to be disappointed. Aside from one Sonic it was all Mario characters.

Madican on
    • Options
      Madican wrote: »
      Interesting. I posted them on the amiibo subreddit and a lot of folks seemed interesting in buying them as well.

I'd just have to carefully choose a price.

Be sure to also look at the time it takes to make one in addition to cost of materials. These things seem pretty durable so a bit on the pricy side wouldn't be amiss, judging by what I've seen on Etsy.

I just put up a post with prices actually. I'm asking $3 each for them, with discounts to $2.75 if you buy at least 20 and $2.50 if you buy at least 40.

That seems extremely cheap. How long does it take to make one? And are you sure you'll be able to keep up with the veritable deluge of orders?

Did I charge too little? I was afraid if I went up to $5 or higher I was gonna scare people away.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
      Interesting. I posted them on the amiibo subreddit and a lot of folks seemed interesting in buying them as well.

Be sure to also look at the time it takes to make one in addition to cost of materials. These things seem pretty durable so a bit on the pricy side wouldn't be amiss, judging by what I've seen on Etsy.

I just put up a post with prices actually. I'm asking $3 each for them, with discounts to $2.75 if you buy at least 20 and $2.50 if you buy at least 40.

That seems extremely cheap. How long does it take to make one? And are you sure you'll be able to keep up with the veritable deluge of orders?

Did I charge too little? I was afraid if I went up to $5 or higher I was gonna scare people away.

Well, just kind of cost it out. you say that you spend 5-10 min each. Lets say 10 for the simple math. That means you can do 6 of them in an hour, which nets you $18. So is $18/hour worth the time and materials you're spending on making them? Once you take out the cost of the materials, is your time worth whatever is leftover? What is your time worth to you?

I'm not saying it is or it isn't right, only you can decide that. But you might want to look at it in that way a bit.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
      wunderbar wrote: »

Well, just kind of cost it out. you say that you spend 5-10 min each. Lets say 10 for the simple math. That means you can do 6 of them in an hour, which nets you $18. So is $18/hour worth the time and materials you're spending on making them? Once you take out the cost of the materials, is your time worth whatever is leftover? What is your time worth to you?

I'm not saying it is or it isn't right, only you can decide that. But you might want to look at it in that way a bit.

Also consider the nature of what you're making. I would think that brushed aluminum can withstand time very well, so there's permanence to a purchase, which would make it a bit pricier in my opinion.

It is up to you though. No one can dictate how much your time is worth.

• Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      cloudeagle wrote: »
      I just realized -- I'm going on vacation in Europe, land of plentiful and unreleased Amiibo!

Anyone have any suggestions on places I can pick up Amiibo in France, Germany and Italy?

Media Markt and Saturn usually have a somewhat decent variety in stock.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      Weeeee... At GameStop, only about 5 other people here and they have 47.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
      yeah, only one other person at mine

• Options
      Line starting to pick up a little. Feet starting to hurt a lot :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
      Got to GameStop at 8:30, was the 5th person in line and they had 70 preorders to give out. And, since it was raining, they handed out tickets so we could wait in our cars. Overall, a surprisingly painless experience.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
      Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
      G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    • Options
      ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
      Not sure if it is my gamestop or the characters up for preorder but I was the first one here at 7:30 and there are only 2 people waiting in cars.

YMMV so good luck today!

• Options
      Rolled in at 9:10, placed a pre-order, back out the door at 9:12.

Apparently only one other person showed up before me.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      Got mine. Could have gone in at open. But whatever, it's fun to camp :P

• Options
      Warlock82 wrote: »

This! It was my last weekend in Charlotte and last amiibo hunt with @PacMan1979

• Options

imo you could easily charge $10 or $15 for those and people would still buy them

• Options
        ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
        yeah from the looks of it stores had TONS of these available to preorder. My local store is in the middle of nowhere, and a much smaller store, and had over 30 available.

• Options

imo you could easily charge $10 or $15 for those and people would still buy them

:(

FU7kFbw.png
      • Options
        I mean, not as many people. I wouldn't pay that price, but I'll probably order a few if you keep them sub-$5
        but there's a sweet spot to be found, and the only real way to tell is with testing different prices and looking at the data.

the important thing is making sure you're not losing money (or uncompensated time) on the venture

• Options
        RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
        Got there around 7 am and was the first in line! About 10 people in total. To my surprise the store opened up at 8am without needing pro membership. c:
        Painless experience.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
      • Options
        Just left gamestop. They still had a few reserves left and I got one! Yay!

PSN - Brainiac_8
        Add me!
      • Options
        Brainiac 8 wrote: »
        Just left gamestop. They still had a few reserves left and I got one! Yay!

Yeaaaaaaa

• Options
          As far as amiibo releases are concerned, this was probably the least annoying one so far.

PSN - Brainiac_8
          Add me!
        • Options
          I've temporary delisted my amiibo sign offer from the amiibo subreddit temporarily while I catch up on the orders that have already been placed.

When it goes back up, I'll probably bump the price up a bit...I don't think I'm going as high as $10, because I really feel like folks are going to scoff at it, but I might move up to $5 or $7.50 at the most, pre-bulk discount.

(I'm bad at this sort of thing.)

FU7kFbw.png
        • Options
          OptyOpty Registered User regular
          edited August 2015
          You should not be guessing at your price. Your price should be dictated by the cost of goods plus the value of your time. Do not forget to include the costs of packing materials or to include the time it will take to pack and ship orders in your estimates. From there you add on as much as you can get away with due to demand but do not ever go below that base price

Opty on
        • Options
          I'm just not sure what folks are willing to pay, and I'm afraid if I try to sell them at too high of a price nobody will buy them. I'd rather sell to 50 people at $3 each than 5 people at $10 each.

FU7kFbw.png
        • Options
          PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
          TimFiji wrote: »
          Warlock82 wrote: »

This! It was my last weekend in Charlotte and last amiibo hunt with @PacMan1979

It was good hanging out with you today. Have a safe trip back to Ohio. Amiibros 4 Lyfe!!!!

• Options
          BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
          I also got a pre-order for the three pack. I hope they don't call me and cancel it :(

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
        • Options
          OptyOpty Registered User regular
          edited August 2015
          I'm just not sure what folks are willing to pay, and I'm afraid if I try to sell them at too high of a price nobody will buy them. I'd rather sell to 50 people at $3 each than 5 people at $10 each.

The main thing you need to consider is how much your time is worth to you since you should already know how much it costs to make them and I presume shipping will be charged on an order-to-order basis (just be sure to include the cost of the box and packing materials when figuring that out). If you're fine with valuing your time as free or working for effectively peanuts in return for the political capital of making everyone happy then knock yourself out.

Opty on
        • Options
          LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
          Has anyone found a good way to open amiibo packaging so you can remove the strip and still use the figure without compromising the packaging itself? I hate cutting through the blisters, but I haven't found a better way, and of course pulling the blister off the card pulls part of the card art with it...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
          Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
        • Options
          redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
          If anyone grabs that three pack with Game & Watch, I will gladly talk trade (or just MSRP if possible) for Game & Watch.

bYf6vNQ.png
          Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
          [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
        • Options
          Has anyone found a good way to open amiibo packaging so you can remove the strip and still use the figure without compromising the packaging itself? I hate cutting through the blisters, but I haven't found a better way, and of course pulling the blister off the card pulls part of the card art with it...
          use a sharp knife and carefully cut the seam around the bottom inch or so of the blister. that should be enough to get the knife or something in there to scrape off the sticker.

• Options
          BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
          redfield85 wrote: »
          If anyone grabs that three pack with Game & Watch, I will gladly talk trade (or just MSRP if possible) for Game & Watch.

I will keep you in mind as all I want is R.O.B. and maybe the duck hunt dog

• Options
          This pack covers the major three I want. The ones left I want is ZSS and Bowser jr.

PSN - Brainiac_8
          Add me!