As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

1899091929395»

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Probably less than that. The expense is really in implementing the amiibo functionality in various games. I feel like if amiibo continued into the Switch 2 era, the functionality is going to get more and more half-assed than it already is (quarter-ass?).

I just hope the next Zelda keeps amiibo functionality because Ive been relying heavily on them for TOTK. its saved me a TON of grinding time

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Nintendo has to realize that most amiibo collector's are just putting these on a shelf and never using them. I wonder if they'd consider dropping the NFC aspect of them and just market them as collectibles in the future.

They already recognize this to a degree because they no longer include the radio blocking sheet under the bottom.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There's also not much point when most of the figures aren't sitting on the shelf for very long.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Nintendo has to realize that most amiibo collector's are just putting these on a shelf and never using them. I wonder if they'd consider dropping the NFC aspect of them and just market them as collectibles in the future.

They already recognize this to a degree because they no longer include the radio blocking sheet under the bottom.

As I understand it a lot of Japanese collectors in particular like to keep them in the box (they are also less likely to have space for a display stand or case) but might still be interested in the game connectivity so saving a few cents and making collectors happy at the same time seems like a worthwhile production choice.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Was a bit worried when my Sora amiibo was delayed at Best Buy but then it shipped out the other day, so phew :P

And yeah, it definitely feels like Nintendo has been trying to ramp down the creation of new amiibos. They'll do them for really big titles like Zelda but you aren't really seeing any of the oddball ones anymore (maybe the closest thing is Capcom still tends to do them for things like Monster Hunter). I imagine they kinda know it's more of a collector item than something people actually care about using so they're gonna focus on stuff they think people will actually care about collecting. And with no more Smash amiibo coming I imagine the number of new ones we get will go down even more now. (at least until they announce the next Smash Bros and do new amiibo for every fighter again XD)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Was a bit worried when my Sora amiibo was delayed at Best Buy but then it shipped out the other day, so phew :P

And yeah, it definitely feels like Nintendo has been trying to ramp down the creation of new amiibos. They'll do them for really big titles like Zelda but you aren't really seeing any of the oddball ones anymore (maybe the closest thing is Capcom still tends to do them for things like Monster Hunter). I imagine they kinda know it's more of a collector item than something people actually care about using so they're gonna focus on stuff they think people will actually care about collecting. And with no more Smash amiibo coming I imagine the number of new ones we get will go down even more now. (at least until they announce the next Smash Bros and do new amiibo for every fighter again XD)

I mean they released 10 new ones alone in 2023 (sephiroth, kazuya, pyra, mythra, totk link, zelda, ganon, shiver, frye, big man), and three new ones already in 2024, while 2022 had 9, I don't see that as 'ramping down' creation of new ones, I can easily see them releasing more with their big franchise games (which will inevitably be coming) since they sell really well

for example, when they do a new mario kart, i can see kart amiibos selling a ton for them

Zavian on
  • Options
    Pokemon amiibo have gotten a refresh on the US Nintendo store, including Incineroar, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Pikachu and Greninja

https://www.nintendo.com/us/search/#q=pokemon+amiibo&p=1&cat=hdw&sort=df

• Options
    Super Mario/DK/Zelda amiibo have a refresh on the US Nintendo store, including a bunch of Marios, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Diddy and Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Wario, Bowser Jr, as well as Wolf LInk, Sheik and BOTW Guardian:
    https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/hardware/amiibo/

• Options
    another big amiibo restock on the US Nintendo store! newly restocked are: duck hunt, wii fit trainer, little mac, ganondorf, young link, capt. falcon, zelda, toon link, cloud, sonic, palutena, bayonetta and inkling girl
    https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/hardware/amiibo/