As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    When was the last time a AAA non-mmo game was still getting support 9 1/2 years after release?!

to be fair, this was released alongside the new DLC, but yeah it's pretty amazing!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Also to be fair, none of this stuff is being added to the original 9 1/2 year old version of the game.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Also to be fair, none of this stuff is being added to the original 9 1/2 year old version of the game.

It is kind of noteworthy since this is pretty much the last planned content update. Will be interesting to see what they have in store with the next entry, which I'm guessing will be announced next year for 2025

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Athenor wrote: »
    When was the last time a AAA non-mmo game was still getting support 9 1/2 years after release?!

There's definitely been a couple (mostly on PC mind you) but it's for sure a rare thing for Nintendo.
    Zavian wrote: »

It is kind of noteworthy since this is pretty much the last planned content update. Will be interesting to see what they have in store with the next entry, which I'm guessing will be announced next year for 2025

I am very curious what they'll do. I'd love if they just finally decided to go full Super Smash Karts or whatever where they just say fuck it and bring in a bunch of different Nintendo characters for once :P This game was the first time they sort of opened Mario Kart up to extras like Link, Isabelle, Inklings, etc.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Whelp. We have officially reached this point. A few years ago, Nintendo pulled out the RFID-blocking strip on the bottom... and now, they have removed specific tagging on the back of the box.

gRoMRqVh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    My Big Man came in!

um5kJkph.jpg

... except there's an issue. The tail is just rattling around inside the package, which is VERY weird. At first I thought it might be detachable, packaged the way it was to help with the dimensions and such. But upon taking it out of the box and inspecting...

6JFLBc2h.jpg

Nope. that just sheared off. In fact, you can even see a little bit of the red vinyl on the underside of the tail. And the packaging has a spot where the tail goes. I wonder if it broke during assembly or transport.

I really don't care enough to get it replaced, refunded, etc. The seam line completely disappears if you put it back together properly, so I think I'm just going to glue it up and call it a day. I just need to figure out what glue will work best. I am pretty sure these are all vinyl, but the translucent nature of the Big Man gives me pause. I have a lot of experience with adhesives, so it won't take me long to figure out what to do.

Edit:

hHNDoYKh.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Ey!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Best Buy has a listing for it but not a pre-order up yet.

They also have the Noah + Mio 2-Pack listed but no pre-orders up as well.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Up at target

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Glad I was able to get it at target. I'm so excited to finish the smash line for 2 reasons:

1. Looking at my complete collection. Mmmm

2. Deleting Twitter off my phone. Only thing I followed was Nintendeals and Nassim Taleb

• Options
        I totally missed it going up T_T I'll have to keep an eye out for it to pop back up

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      • Options
        cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        I don't have the direct link to it (saw it when I was on vacation), but a metric fuckton of Smash amiibo have become available again, and a bunch are (were?) on sale. I snagged Byleth for $11 from Best Buy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • Options
        ZythonZython Registered User regular
        edited December 2023
        Saw Sora and Banjo & Kazooie (also Joker and Terry) amiibos for preorder at GameStop's site. I want some, but not $8 shipping want them.

Zython on
        Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
        Steam: pazython
      • Options
        Anyone looking for Noah and Mio amiibo? Luckily for you, my microwaved brain had no idea I got one from best buy and Target sent me a notice it's shipping mine soon. No profit needed, just MSRP + Tax + shipping

• Options
          TimFiji wrote: »
          Anyone looking for Noah and Mio amiibo? Luckily for you, my microwaved brain had no idea I got one from best buy and Target sent me a notice it's shipping mine soon. No profit needed, just MSRP + Tax + shipping

Nintendo store also has Shulk restocked!

• Options
          Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
          So my Noah and Mio are shipped and was supposed to be here today. Unfortunately I'm in Tennessee and am stuck at home due to tons of snow and ice that have made driving very dangerous right now so it's delayed until the driver can deliver mail safely.

This past week has been awful as one of our pipes burst from the freeze and we went without water for two days. We were finally able to cap off the broken pipe so we have water in part of the house and not in the other part of the house. This at least gives us water until we thaw out and can get a plumber here to repair the damage. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
          Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
          PSN - Brainiac_8
          Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
          Add me!
        • Options
          Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
          Woo! My Noah and Mio have shown up! So happy to continue to make sure my Xeno Amiibo collection stays complete. :smiley:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
          Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
          PSN - Brainiac_8
          Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
          Add me!
        • Options
        • Options
          edited January 31
          Wolf Link and Sheik are also getting restocked! Gamestop has them up for preorder

Zavian on
        • Options
          ZythonZython Registered User regular
          Brainiac 8 wrote: »
          Woo! My Noah and Mio have shown up! So happy to continue to make sure my Xeno Amiibo collection stays complete. :smiley:

Same here. They seemed to be well stocked despite pre orders running out quickly.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
          Steam: pazython
        • Options
          Damn, every other game they put out is a re-release or remake, and now that's spread to their amiibo releases!

• Options
          ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
          Gives me a bit of hope that we'll see a reprint of Pyra/Mithra one day at least.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
        • Options
          Shadowfire wrote: »
          Gives me a bit of hope that we'll see a reprint of Pyra/Mithra one day at least.

Joker, Terry, and Banjo have just been restocked, so that's a reasonably safe bet.

• Options
          edited January 31
          Am I crazy or was Wolf Link exclusive to the Twilight Princess HD bundle before now? (at least in the US, it might have been sold separate in Japan)

I've noticed they tend to be doing these when a big game that uses them comes out. IIRC they reprinted Shulk when Xenoblade 3 came out. So maybe a Xenoblade 4 will prompt a reprint? :P

Warlock82 on
        • Options
          XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
          Warlock82 wrote: »
          Am I crazy or was Wolf Link exclusive to the Twilight Princess HD bundle before now? (at least in the US, it might have been sold separate in Japan)

I've noticed they tend to be doing these when a big game that uses them comes out. IIRC they reprinted Shulk when Xenoblade 3 came out. So maybe a Xenoblade 4 will prompt a reprint? :P

I bought it separately in the US fwiw

• Options
          Xaquin wrote: »
          Warlock82 wrote: »

I bought it separately in the US fwiw

Ok, I'm just imagining it then. Maybe it was that they didn't produce a ton of the standalone ones so a lot of people had to get through the bundle *shrug*

• Options
          LOTS of amiibos have been restocked in the US Nintendo store! Mega Man, Sephiroth, Joker, Terry, Solid Snake, Pikmin, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Fox, Falco, Kirby, Villager!

https://www.nintendo.com/us/search/#q=amiibo&p=1&cat=hdw&sort=rd

• Options
          And Sora's out today!

With the Switch 2 rumored to hit this year, I wonder if Nintendo will keep the Amiibo train rolling, or if it'll quietly end. Even if they decide to stop, we've been getting Amiibo since 2014 - that's a hell of a run.

• Options
          My work is done. I can finally play the game
          g6elamd5pdo0.jpg

fwg04iq48mvh.jpg

bsfj3xgp2cig.jpg

• Options
            edited February 16
            I just ordered three new amiibos! Kirby, Mega Man and Small Fry. Kirby and Mega Man because they have functionality in their respective games, and Small Fry because I just got Splatoon 3 and like the gear it unlocks! I also threw in series 5 animal crossing cards to reach the free shipping limit

thank you nintendo for saving me money by not having to buy them overpriced on amazon!

Zavian on
          • Options
            MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
            Ordered a Joker, since I've been wanting him for a while but those scalper prices were utterly insane

• Options
            TayaTaya Registered User regular
            I had to order Sora from Amazon Japan. When he arrives I'll have a full North American collection. I'm missing Japan exclusives like Monster Hunter Stories and Boxboy.

I don't have all the Animal Crossing cards either but that's fine.

• Options
            edited February 16
            Debating if I should get a Villager Amiibo. I've been passing because he's kind of a murderer. :D

Edit: Went for it. I think Pyra and Mythra are the only Smash Amiibo that are running.

Athenor on
          • Options
            KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
            Everyone is here!
            zeyln0idevu2.jpg
            I dread the next smash and new fighters but also give me astral chain amiibo

And yes I did make them all fight in a series of 12 eight player smashes and then a 12 amiibo victory tournament.
            Lucario was the champion. It took 3 hours...

• Options
            Nintendo has to realize that most amiibo collector's are just putting these on a shelf and never using them. I wonder if they'd consider dropping the NFC aspect of them and just market them as collectibles in the future.

• Options
            edited February 17
            Nintendo has to realize that most amiibo collector's are just putting these on a shelf and never using them. I wonder if they'd consider dropping the NFC aspect of them and just market them as collectibles in the future.

I only get amiibos that I use, I would definitely hate if they dropped the NFC aspect!

theres already a bajillion nintendo collectible figurines/statues, so taking away the only unique aspect of amiibos would be really dumb of nintendo

Zavian on
          • Options
            The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
            nfc removal would only matter if they made them cheaper and I. do not think they would do that

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
          • Options
            OptyOpty Registered User regular
            Removing NFC would save like what, 10 cents per figure?

• Options
            Probably less than that. The expense is really in implementing the amiibo functionality in various games. I feel like if amiibo continued into the Switch 2 era, the functionality is going to get more and more half-assed than it already is (quarter-ass?).