As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Very Similitude

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Very Similitude

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    megascorchermegascorcher NorwayRegistered User regular
    They used the Fantasy Life idea! What could possibly be left in the docket now?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    First panel Gabe is totally me in reaction to text games these days.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Actual Sunlight is a fantastic game

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Actual Sunlight is one of my top ten favorite games of all time.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Alternate Explanation: he's reacting to the words "Actual Sunlight".

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

That would be more of a Tycho thing.

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Aren't we going to have an obligatory "why is it called a video game?" discussion?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It sounds interesting, but it also sounds like there would be absolutely nothing lost from the experience by just watching a video of someone playing it on YouTube.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    It sounds interesting, but it also sounds like there would be absolutely nothing lost from the experience by just watching a video of someone playing it on YouTube.
    It sort of depends on how you experience media as much as it depends on the game itself. For instance, lots of people apparently think that there is nothing lost from the experience of watching a movie if you watch it on your phone on the bus in two chunks, the first half on your way to work and the second half on your way back, vs. watching it in a theater or on a large TV. And maybe they are right! Maybe what they get out of movies, when they watch them, has nothing to do with whether they watch them all at once, or on a big screen, or with good sound rather than with earbuds, or something. Whereas for me, you lose basically everything from a movie if you watch it like that.

I think YouTube playthroughs of games are similar. Some people think that there is nothing lost by watching someone else move the character around, read the dialog, decide what to do, etc. And maybe they are right! Maybe what they get out of games like this, when they play them, has nothing to do with whether they are in charge, whether they get to spend as much time reading the text as they want without having to pause the video, etc. Whereas for me, you lose a lot from a game if you "play" it like that.

• Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd rather not "play" that~ "game".

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Fun fact: Actual Sunlight was actually released to members of this forum before (I'm pretty sure) almost everywhere else through our Indie Games showcase.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I grew up playing text adventures like Zork, Kings Quest and the first two Police Quest games (which weren't all text but might as well have been). Loved games like Windham Classic's 'Treasure Island' but I can't get into them anymore. I lack the patience to sit through so much text. Heck-I've been getting into Mass Effect (yeah, I know-I'm always late to the party) and I'm finding it hard to sit around waiting for dialogue.

I wonder if the internet and modern action games have rewired my brain. I used to read all the time yet I hardly ever do so now. I'm certain that fact alone is working against my writing skills.

• Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff

Crap I knew it sounded familiar! I can't find the first strip though. I know you're right but can anyone find that comic?

I once had an opportunity to talk with one of the long time writers on the Simpsons. My question was after so many years how do you remember what jokes you've done? He laughed and said they don't. He said if they haven't done the joke in the last five years it's fair game.

• Options
    point5point5 Registered User new member
    Jesus, your art is getting so good.

• Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    I'm highly interested in games focusing around Depression. Max Payne, Silent Hill 2, Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, LISA: The Painful RPG. All some of my favorite games. However I've never really been big on text adventures and games where all you essentially do is walk around and read/listen to things.

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    I don't think the Fantasy Life idea was ever utilized for Fantasy Life. There was also the salamander thing, "I'm already living the fantasy life" or somesuch. I'm so glad this was finally realized in jpeg form. It's always sad when a good idea doesn't make it. It just sits there hoping to be a real comic someday, hanging out with its real comic friends.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    This is a great comic. It would have been easy to draw the last panel with a regular angry expression but you went one step farther by having his eyes well up with tears. Yeah, probably not a good game to play if you're already there, living it. Nothing there to broaden your perspectives; plenty to deepen the emotions you're already dealing with.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I like the pun in the title.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular

This is pretty much how I played enjoyed endured Final Fantasy since XI.
    I grew up playing text adventures like Zork, Kings Quest and the first two Police Quest games (which weren't all text but might as well have been). Loved games like Windham Classic's 'Treasure Island' but I can't get into them anymore. I lack the patience to sit through so much text. Heck-I've been getting into Mass Effect (yeah, I know-I'm always late to the party) and I'm finding it hard to sit around waiting for dialogue.

I wonder if the internet and modern action games have rewired my brain. I used to read all the time yet I hardly ever do so now. I'm certain that fact alone is working against my writing skills.

My dad got me into Colossal Cave Adventure when I was growing up with DOS. Eventually, I had a chance to play Return to Zork which I thought was fun, and then we evolved to Myst. I've since gone back to try playing Zork I, II, and III but would often lose interest because they weren't like Return to Zork with pictures, haha. I'm afraid I'm worse off because I still don't own a PS3 (or 4) or an Xbox360 (or the One), so I'm still missing out on the whole Mass Effect experience. I'm told it's not as fantastic as select people hype it up to be but that it's still a great story that gets told.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

That would be more of a Tycho thing.

There is precedent for it not being Gabe's bag either.
    500986412_3bMLm-1050x10000.jpg
    214687481_LqPXu-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Gabriel wrote: »

Crap I knew it sounded familiar! I can't find the first strip though. I know you're right but can anyone find that comic?

I once had an opportunity to talk with one of the long time writers on the Simpsons. My question was after so many years how do you remember what jokes you've done? He laughed and said they don't. He said if they haven't done the joke in the last five years it's fair game.

I think I remember that story from a podcast too. I thought it was when you guys were talking about Depression Quest, and it came out similar to this comic. Like "I take drugs to not play that game every day." I don't remember if the comic was actually made though.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Throwing dark with this one, dang.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

Sir the idea they are talking about is from a Fantasy Life strip idea referencing seeing Tycho as a Salamander and stating how Gabe takes a pill to avoid a Fantasy Life. Though it was talked about in several podcasts, you two never actually made a comic about it because you felt like it was too late by the time you considered it.

P.S. you guys apparently just called it "Salamander" in your comic idea list if the podcast is correct.

Edit
    P.S.S. Went through the comics to November before Fantasy Life came out with no comic about it in case I missed it

BrushwoodMutt on
  • Options
    WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    Really like the second panel Gabe face. First panel could be either lazy mouth hissing or receiving his daily Voldemort serum.

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular

Hey, the good news is that the title of the comic has that covered as well.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    There's been multiple strips and posts referencing pharmaceutical drugs, yes? I remember this one pretty specifically, but this one is also pretty dark. I also recall a strip involving Pokemon Dream Radar (I think?) and how Tycho takes medication to not see things. So I think the idea's been used before, but in a different context. Still funny, if that's the word for it.

Maybe I should start listening to the podcast.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    @metroidkillah I recommend them, they usually have jokes and comments that don't appear in comics but are still entertaining.

• Options
    Test1234Test1234 Registered User new member
    edited August 2015

Test1234 on
  • Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    @BrushwoodMutt: Unfortunately, between aimlessly surfing the internet and watching Netflix, I only have so much time to spend on podcasts. And right now, the Podquisition is filling that slot.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    @metroidkillah I also recommend the podcasts. The comics on their own are typically great, but there is a certain "you had to be there" element that you only get to enjoy in the podcasts. I usually listen to them while playing a game, surfing the internet, working, etc.

Also highly recommend the Acquisitions Inc. podcasts from way back before they started doing them in live/video form. And don't forget the Dark Sun campaign!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    metroidkillah I recommend them, they usually have jokes and comments that don't appear in comics but are still entertaining.

"Cause I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble!"

Yes I... I agree. The podcasts are good.

• Options
    paulungapaulunga Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Should I point out that this is also available on Steam? I probably should. I don't think the comic or news post clarifies it enough that you can actually "enjoy" this game without owning a Vita, i.e. you're one of the sane ones, unlike me.

This is pretty much how I played enjoyed endured Final Fantasy since XI.

That's, uhh... I don't recommend playing XI like that. In fact I can tell you that's the worst way to experience that particular game. Only marginally better: Playing solo, followed by joining random groups but no linkshells (read: guilds). Hell, staying blissfully ignorant of that game is preferrable to options one through three.

paulunga on
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    decide what to do
    If the game actually allows you to decide what to do, then watching it on Youtube definitely isn't the same as playing it yourself. But if the game is completely linear, then it's very debatable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    megascorchermegascorcher NorwayRegistered User regular

Oh, no worries Morukhai, I just knew of it from the podcasts! <3

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    This game's title just seems like a great way to sound like an asshole.
    "I played Destiny for eight hours last night. What were you up to?"
    "I was playing this great new game. It's called Actual Sunlight. After that I played Being Outdoors and Having a Life."

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    Curious about the choice of measurement here. One might be okay trying something a fermi or two outside of their comfort zone, but a parsec is all the way in the other direction. I've listened to and watched enough of Mohawk Krawlhammer's discussions on gaming to know that he's an arts farts aficionado. Just how far would a text-based game be outside of his comfort zone? Maybe we could make a measurement out of that, call it a Krahulsbane or something.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    I'm grateful for this comic, I've been putting off Actual Sunlight for awhile now. I'm gonna give it a whirl.

• Options
    Redthirst wrote: »
    decide what to do
    If the game actually allows you to decide what to do, then watching it on Youtube definitely isn't the same as playing it yourself. But if the game is completely linear, then it's very debatable.
    I mean, a movie is completely linear, so I suppose it's also "debatable" whether watching it on your cell phone on the bus in two halves is different from watching it in a theater, but as I pointed out, to some people there are differences. Even in a completely linear game, you have to decide whether to progress or not, and I can tell you that in Actual Sunlight, at least, that is a huge decision sometimes. Like, a huuuuuge decision.

• Options
    CharlesMabeCharlesMabe Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Why are Gabe and Tycho always demons or possessed nowadays? Red eyes and eldritch elements are the majority of the comic now. I don't like the turn the characters have taken lately. It's like when I first discovered Cookie Clicker was obsessed with eldritch abominations. Can't we just have a nice, fun comic without making things turn ugly with our supposedly-and-hopefully-actually-human characters?

CharlesMabe on
  • Options
    Why are Gabe and Tycho always demons or possessed nowadays? Red eyes and eldritch elements are the majority of the comic now. I don't like the turn the characters have taken lately. It's like when I first discovered Cookie Clicker was obsessed with eldritch abominations. Can't we just have a nice, fun comic without making things turn ugly with our supposedly-and-hopefully-actually-human characters?
    They have both been possessed by demons.