As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Science! It's really cool!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    At the very least you can test the modified organisms in the lab to confirm the correct change has been made since you'd be deploying viable whole organisms not a retroviral vector. Similarly contained population studies can show you if gene drive is likely to go haywire or not.

What I want to know is; why aren't we modifying humans to be immune to plasmodium? It worked for smallpox…

well, because scientists are big scaredy cats when it comes to genetically modifing millions of people, and we don't have a mechanism for getting living people's immune systems to kick it's ass, and it would continue to live in other species so unlike small pox the rate of infection wouldn't tail off.

edit:wasps are cool and only really impact humans who are incredibly allergic.

Sure, but when they're flying at your face "They only impact people who are allergic" isn't much comfort.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    hmm neat.
    What are the results from the Phase 3 trial?1
    Vaccine efficacy
    Over the full duration of the trial, vaccine efficacy against clinical malaria in infants was 27% in the group that received four doses of RTS,S (3 doses at 6, 10 and 14 weeks of age, and a fourth dose 18 months later); and 18% in the group that did not receive the fourth dose of the vaccine. In these infants, no significant efficacy was noted against severe malaria, with or without a fourth dose.

Among children aged 5-17 months who received four doses on a 0, 1, 2, 20 month schedule, vaccine efficacy against clinical malaria was 39% over the full duration of the trial. With a four-dose schedule, the overall efficacy against severe malaria among children in this age group was 31.5%, with reductions in severe anaemia, malaria hospitalizations and all-cause hospitalizations also seen.

Among children aged 5-17 months who did not receive a fourth dose of the vaccine, no protection was seen against severe malaria, as cases prevented in the first 18 months occurred later. These results highlight the importance of a fourth dose with this vaccine, as efficacy is short-lived.

these aren't exactly fantastic numbers. you have to get it to large populations of at risk people, with not great infrastructure for doing so, probably indefinitely to prevent 35ish% of more severe cases.

it's not nothing. but not nearly what you get with smallpox vaccinations.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Yeah. I know.

Just saying, we're working on that too.

And 39% efficacy is still, like, 400,000 people (assuming full participation, which is admittedly impossible).

VishNub on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    We only got 20% participation with the free flu shots at work.

• Options
    The beauty of that argument is that it doesn't matter what the number is, it's a lot of people either way.

The NIH likes it, at any rate.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    unVUjve.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Cabezone wrote: »

yes and your HR manager isn't literally a warlord.

• Options

yes and your HR manager isn't literally a warlord.

Any warlord worth his salt should be able to get way better than 20% compliance.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    At the very least you can test the modified organisms in the lab to confirm the correct change has been made since you'd be deploying viable whole organisms not a retroviral vector. Similarly contained population studies can show you if gene drive is likely to go haywire or not.

What I want to know is; why aren't we modifying humans to be immune to plasmodium? It worked for smallpox…

well, because scientists are big scaredy cats when it comes to genetically modifing millions of people, and we don't have a mechanism for getting living people's immune systems to kick it's ass, and it would continue to live in other species so unlike small pox the rate of infection wouldn't tail off.

I am allergic but even if I wasn't they are little assholes sent to Earth by Satan himself.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    When they start doing genetic modification on adults I will be the first to sign up. I don't even care what it's for. Just stick the needle in me and see what happens. I'm game.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Given that the Great Barrier Reef is in such a bad way it was it was believable when some jagoff falsely reported the whole thing was dead yesterday, I'd be a lot happier if proposals for tinkering with the biosphere didn't involve making more species extinct right now, thanks.
    Yeah but fuck mosquitos. Wasps too, let's send them back to hell where they came from, too.

No-one is gonna make mosquitoes extinct with the "immune to plasmodium" thing. Might even make the modified species more viable as plasmodium is not a net benefit to mosquitoes, nor to anything else except plasmodium. Hell, they're probably not even gonna eliminate plasmodium, just drive it back into isolated pockets

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    One day aliens will invade, and all of our weapons will be useless against them. And there will be no more polio, black death, or malaria to kill the aliens for us. :sad:

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    One day aliens will invade, and all of our weapons will be useless against them. And there will be no more polio, black death, or malaria to kill the aliens for us. :sad:

Black death is still with us today. Hunters frequently still catch it in the US.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I know the squirrels in Cali can have some form of plague.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Fucking tree-hugging antivaxers...

• Options

I am allergic but even if I wasn't they are little assholes sent to Earth by Satan himself.

this specism. you make me want to paralyze you and implant my fertilized eggs in your body cavity.

• Options

And Hanta virus.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    i'm sure there's plenty of labs around the world keeping those plagues alive for just such an occasion.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    i'm sure there's plenty of labs around the world keeping those plagues alive for just such an occasion.

Literally marked "for use on extraterrestrial invaders"

EDIT: I actually kind of wonder if we would have any sort of ethical qualms about using biological warfare on alien invaders.

I guess it would probably be in direct proportion to the existential threat they posed.

Winky on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    How many actually finish out an antibiotics cure, and don't just stop when they feel alright again? Generously guessing one in five.

That and all the other major ways we're not being great about antibiotics makes me feel like there'll never be a dearth of nasty stuff to throw at extraterrestrials when the need arises.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »

EDIT: I actually kind of wonder if we would have any sort of ethical qualms about using biological warfare on alien invaders.

I guess it would probably be in direct proportion to the existential threat they posed.

I imagine 90% of any germ warfare with life from another planet would be entirely incidental anyways. The stuff that kills us tends to do so because it developed in another creature, so there wouldn't be any reason to break out the stuff that's actually dangerous to humans when some typically benign human viruses can do it.
    The likelihood is that it'd go both ways anyways,

The hidden dark side of Star Trek, every planet you visit has a spanish-flu-level-event after you leave.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I imagine 90% of any germ warfare with life from another planet would be entirely incidental anyways. The stuff that kills us tends to do so because it developed in another creature, so there wouldn't be any reason to break out the stuff that's actually dangerous to humans when some typically benign human viruses can do it.

The hidden dark side of Star Trek, every planet you visit has a spanish-flu-level-event after you leave.

These are totally foreseeable problems that that interstellar society would probably figure out before repeating too many times.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It also depends on the life from another planet having anything for our microbial life to work with, as it were.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    this is science related so I guess it fits, but grandfather (director at NASA) shaking hands with John Glenn. He oversaw Glenn's program.

7q90bDr.jpg

these were after some tests so that's why Glenn is in a robe, they weren't just leaving a spa or something.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options

These are totally foreseeable problems that that interstellar society would probably figure out before repeating too many times.

How do you determine what natural diseases and viruses would be deadly, or mutate to be deadly, to a species without ever coming into contact with that species?

• Options

How do you determine what natural diseases and viruses would be deadly, or mutate to be deadly, to a species without ever coming into contact with that species?

that really depends on your level of technology.

quite possibly you just don't bring ones you don't pretty much fully control. if you're whole deal is you don't interfere with undeveloped cultures, and have magical teleporting technology and replicators.

or you go down in hermetic suits, because you probably are just as vulnerable.

or you go the cyborg route and buld digestive systems that don't need microflora.

or you kidnap people and animals and do tests.

or any of the infinity other solutions you can come up with if you decide you are going to be a culture that goes and lands on inhabited planets, or participates in interstellar trade.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    I think you guys are vastly overestimating the threat from alien microorganisms. Pathogens need to be extremely specialized to defeat an active immune system like ours--it takes countless billions of exposures for a virus to make the jump between two species as closely related as humans and pigs. When it comes to completely foreign threats, your immune system easily has the upper hand. In reality you'd be more likely to suddenly contract Dutch elm disease than the Klingon Flu.

The reason you wouldn't immediately walk around without a suit on Alpha Centauri or wherever is that you wouldn't want to risk contaminating the local biosphere with various Earth-derived species, not that you'd become ill yourself.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    hadn't seen this pop up here yet:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/10/13/in-a-medical-first-brain-implant-allows-paralyzed-man-to-feel-again/
    UPMC_Pitt_Rob_Nathan_Fingerdetection_framegrab-crop.jpg&w=1484
    University of Pittsburgh Medical Center researcher Robert Gaunt touches the finger of a robotic arm, causing Nathan Copeland, who has paralysis in all four limbs, to feel that sensation in his own finger. (UPMC/Pitt Health Sciences)

For the first time, scientists have helped a paralyzed man experience the sense of touch in his mind-controlled robotic arm.

For the cutting-edge experiment, a collaboration between the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, electrodes smaller than a grain of sand were implanted in the sensory cortex of the man's brain. The electrodes received signals from a robot arm. When a researcher pressed the fingers of the prosthesis, the man felt the pressure in the fingers of his paralyzed right hand, effectively bypassing his damaged spinal cord.

The results of the experiment, which have been repeated over several months with 30-year-old Nathan Copeland, offer a breakthrough in the restoration of a critical function in people with paralyzed limbs: the ability not just to move those limbs, but to feel them.

The experiment with Copeland was a featured stop Thursday when President Obama visited Pittsburgh for a White House Frontiers Conference on advances in science, medicine and technology. The researchers described how neuroscience has been able to build a technology where simply imagining a motion translates into motion, in this case a robotic arm.

“It’s amazing. Pretty cool,” Obama said, before asking Copeland to "blow it up" with a handshake, where they each pulled their hand away at the end. “I couldn’t be prouder of all of you.”

Plenty more in the link

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure Star Trek does directly solve this through the way that transporters work. They screen out anything potentially harmful.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure Star Trek does directly solve this through the way that transporters work. They screen out anything potentially harmful.

Well, anything they know is harmful, plus a limited amount of heuristic similarity checks. There are ample episodes to indicate it isn't perfect yet.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Also sorry to interrupt you serious science guys with a picture of a spaceman.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

John Glenn is my favorite astronaut - post away!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I think you guys are vastly overestimating the threat from alien microorganisms. Pathogens need to be extremely specialized to defeat an active immune system like ours--it takes countless billions of exposures for a virus to make the jump between two species as closely related as humans and pigs. When it comes to completely foreign threats, your immune system easily has the upper hand. In reality you'd be more likely to suddenly contract Dutch elm disease than the Klingon Flu.

The reason you wouldn't immediately walk around without a suit on Alpha Centauri or wherever is that you wouldn't want to risk contaminating the local biosphere with various Earth-derived species, not that you'd become ill yourself.

Isn't that the same thing, but in reverse? You can't both say that alien pathogens won't affect you, but your pathogens will affect aliens, right?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Well, anything they know is harmful, plus a limited amount of heuristic similarity checks. There are ample episodes to indicate it isn't perfect yet.

Some viruses you could eliminate with the transporters, others you have to fend off with a baseball bat.
    1macrocosm_335.jpg

• Options
    https://www.facebook.com/georgehtakei/videos/720207214803437/

I think ants are super cool. George Takei apparently agrees with me.

I submit this video in support of that hypothesis.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Xposting from SE++ thread.
    The best microscopy images of 2016. Warning:contains a few extreme closeups of insects and spiders.
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/10/a-sense-of-scale-the-best-microscopy-of-2016/
    There's some incredible images in there. My favorites are the ones of polarized light through crystals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »

John Glenn is my favorite astronaut - post away!

I think I have more but I just need to dig it up. Since he was Director there's tons of candid photos.

Well one technically science, before the NASA logo:

eSPBba6.png

And still technically science since... worked for NASA I guess. With a certain political family, just some small politician... Ken something. I need the story behind this one.

kEHWpSz.png

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    oh this is a good one. i think this is the last I have right now.

CXYOoqX.png

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Isn't that the same thing, but in reverse? You can't both say that alien pathogens won't affect you, but your pathogens will affect aliens, right?
    No, it isn't the same thing. Humans (and anything else with a similarly developed immune system) are very, very hard to infect--but ecosystems are very easy to invade. The risk is that you'd introduce invasive species to an otherwise pristine environment, which is both stupid (you want to study the alien life, not some e. coli hitchhiker) and also kind of a dick move.