As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A reporter and cameraman have been shot to death live on air in Virginia

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Eh engaging you is never worth it.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Nbsp wrote: »
    Is this really turning into an all out gun control thread or are we going to stick to this particular incident?

Yeah why would a thread about another shooting in America, the only country where this happens on a regular, daily basis, turn to gun control?

Can't figure it out.

We do not speak of such things in America.

I don't know, maybe we could all stop bickering and refocus on the event instead of trying to use another tragedy to try and push our various political agendas?

Because there will be enough of that from literally every politician ever in the next week or so.

edit: fuck it, that wouldn't really be conducive to the concepts of debate or discourse I guess.

Eh. The only thing differentiating this from the other workplace shootings that happen all over the country on a semi-regular basis (and barely break out of the local news) is that this one was done on live TV.

I think the fact that the victims are members of literally the only establishment that could do anything to sway public opinion on gun control, in the middle of doing their jobs on National TV, will prove to be a very big deal.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Not only that but how many copy cats will do this now that it is in the forefront of their mind.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    I just wish Americans could get an outside view of the whole madness that is your gun laws/culture. The rest of the civilized world does not have these problems and there is exactly one reason why.

The problem here is that we cannot simply use the outside view because even if the laws changed overnight, we have almost as many guns as people here right now (over 90 guns to every 100 americans).

This is going to require a shift in culture, a shift in laws, a shift in mental health services... there are hundreds of things we can be doing.

But we can't just go "look at the low rate of gun violence in the UK! Why can't America do that?" Because we really really can't just do that. We have to walk back a couple hundred years of tradition and hundreds of billions of dollars of sunk costs by the citizens.

I want to get there though. I want to get there real bad. But step one is getting a legislative body willing to make the changes needed, not demanding the changes right now from what we have. Because what we have has clearly and conclusively shown that the demands of the people mean fuckall to them when it comes to this issue.

Step one is to stop selling guns. You have to start somewhere and hearing the "it's too late argument" pisses me off to no end.
    This seems like a good goal.

No confiscations, no buyback program, no worrying about the black market, don't even bother with ammo.

Just* make it illegal to sell guns.

Maybe a decade or two down the line attitudes will have budged from guns being a thing you grab at Walmart to more like an heirloom.

(As an aside this is my way of dealing with this sort of event. It's too terrible so I talk about plans.)

* yeah, I know

• Options
    edited August 2015
    If you want a gun control thread make a gun control thread.

The suspect appears to be a man named Vester Flanagan

Apparently he was known on TV as Bryce Williams. He was a reporter.

*link removed*

OMFG HE'S UPLOADING FOOTAGE OF THE SHOOTING ON HIS PHONE RIGHT NOW

Spaffy on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I recall hearing about San Francisco news crews having security due to a rash of assaults/robberies. I guess that practice is about to become more common.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    The fact that there isn't MORE gun violence in America given the amount of guns out there is a testament to the inherent peacefulness of most Americans

• Options
    oh my god. it autoplayed, i saw it as it uploaded before i realised what was happening

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I always find the random pedestrians mugging for news cameras pretty creepy and obnoxious. And I've seen footage of some annoyed and frightened reporters from people simply coming up behind them and waving into the camera.

I can only imagine how this will impact their feelings towards those people in the future.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Is this really turning into an all out gun control thread or are we going to stick to this particular incident?

Yeah why would a thread about another shooting in America, the only country where this happens on a regular, daily basis, turn to gun control?

Can't figure it out.

We do not speak of such things in America.

I don't know, maybe we could all stop bickering and refocus on the event instead of trying to use another tragedy to try and push our various political agendas?

Because there will be enough of that from literally every politician ever in the next week or so.

edit: fuck it, that wouldn't really be conducive to the concepts of debate or discourse I guess.

Eh. The only thing differentiating this from the other workplace shootings that happen all over the country on a semi-regular basis (and barely break out of the local news) is that this one was done on live TV.

I think the fact that the victims are members of literally the only establishment that could do anything to sway public opinion on gun control, in the middle of doing their jobs on National TV, will prove to be a very big deal.

Yeah. This is going to have a subtle but noticeable effect.

Like I said earlier, I have gotten multiple messages from journalist friends - former and working - over this in the hours since it happened, some direct and some in the form of email chains. This has not happened with any other event - much less a shooting.

I work in universities. Incidents like Virginia Tech not only changed the way we do things, but it changed the way the that everyone in academia thinks about campus safety and gun issues. It wasn't the first on-campus shooting, nor the last, but it was the one that caught everyone's attention and prompted massive internal reevaluation and change. This is the media's Virginia Tech.

• Options
    twitter

• Options
    He posted a motive. Adam, the cameraman, referred him to HR after working with him once.

I need to step away from the computer now

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2015
    unlink that twitter feed please.

I just saw someone get shot first person from that link.

And yes, it was him.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Please, no one go to his Twitter. He's uploaded videos of him doing the shooting and they can autoplay.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

https://twitter.com/bryce_williams7

Is there a forum rule against posting a rambling incoherent mess that's nothing but obscenities? Because that's all I feel like doing right now.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This twitter feed updating live is the craziest fucking thing I've ever seen

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Reported that Twitter account.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So this was a workplace dispute over the shooter getting fired? Is that what happened? It seems like it based on his twitter.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

*unlinked*

What the SHIT.

Un-be-fucking-lievable

Jazz on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    That user has been suspended, so the twitter link is effectively useless (at least right this moment).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

https://twitter.com/bryce_williams7

WTF?!

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Holy shit. This is horrifying :bigfrown:

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Internet off. forever

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Thank god I have autoplay turned off.

This is hitting way too close to home. I feel ill.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    He posted a motive. Adam, the cameraman, referred him to HR after working with him once.

Report him to Twitter first! Get that account pulled! F*ck!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Forar wrote: »
    That user has been suspended, so the twitter link is effectively useless (at least right this moment).

good.

Though I am sure someone saved the video file and that is just going to exist forever now.

Fuck this earth.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It's been suspended

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I'm sorry, that started happening AFTER I posted the link. I had to step away a moment, I have deleted the link.

• Options
    The fact that there isn't MORE gun violence in America given the amount of guns out there is a testament to the inherent peacefulness of most Americans

Lol

• Options
    The videos are on liveleak already

• Options
    Fuckin'...

WHAT

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    It's been suspended

Good.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Report him to Twitter first! Get that account pulled! F*ck!

I wasn't thinking clearly, I should have... That was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen. But a LOT of people were all over that account, one of the videos got retweeted 500 times before I even noticed it was on my screen. I sent a message saying 'Turn Yourself In' and then I thought I was going to be sick so I ran to the bathrom. Shit.

Spaffy on
  • Options
    OK Twitter have suspended the guy's account already. Good job, Twitter!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Welp, I saw the video from his twitter feed before it got suspended. Not feeling too great now.\

edit: I don't blame you, though Spaffy. Once the video started I knew what was going to happen, and yet I didn't hit stop.

SteevL on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    His Twitter page says that the video was also posted to Facebook, and I've already seen it on some of the aggregator sites. It's not going anywhere.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So, you want me to find the pictures of gun control policy postings in Sweringen-era Deadwood? Because the reality is that the US actually has, for most of its history, been fine with gun control. It's only in the past 30-odd that the issue has appeared, thanks to a concerted campaign by the gun industry.

In one city, in an enormous country where people didn't need background checks or mandatory two week waiting periods to buy guns? Where you needed a gun for safety because you could be traveling through a desert wasteland filled with animals and the Indian boogeyman?

Gun violence in the old west is glamorized and we all know it wasn't anywhere near what Hollywood depicts it as, but the old west didn't have three hundred million people living in it. On a side note, murder statistics in the late 1800s are kinda hard to come by on account of no one bothered to take any outside of very specific events.
    I work in universities. Incidents like Virginia Tech not only changed the way we do things, but it changed the way the that everyone in academia thinks about campus safety and gun issues. It wasn't the first on-campus shooting, nor the last, but it was the one that caught everyone's attention and prompted massive internal reevaluation and change. This is the media's Virginia Tech.

Most safety regulations are reactive, only brought about when an injury or death occurs. We say that they are "written in blood" as a result.

• Options
    This might be social media's Virginia Tech as well as the news media's.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    What's amazing in the video is how damn close he got to them without them noticing. With a gun drawn!

Also for the morbidly curious, the video isn't bloody, just creepy.

Nbsp on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    So, I hope everyone's looking forward to a debate about the evils of Twitter and Facebook.

forumsig.png