As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Morning news anchor and cameraman shot dead in Virgina

2»

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    God dammit... I wake up to see this on my Facebook from my Mom/Step-dad (they share an account)

"It's really sad about the two news people shot in Virginia by a black man. How much rioting will be happening I would guess not much after all he was probably underprivileged that would justify it in the eyes of Naacp and Al Sharpton."

I'm so fucking pissed at them right now. I told them how incredibly disappointed I was to see them using a horrible tragedy to push a racist agenda. How absolutely disrespectful this is to the innocent people who were killed.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, that is fucked.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    that will be a recurring narrative in certain circles

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Conveniently ignoring all the black people killed by white people, naturally.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    He said he was gay too; I wonder when THAT argument will rear it's nasty head.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My step dad wrote that like I figured. My mom responded by saying he says he's not racist...

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    My step dad wrote that like I figured. My mom responded by saying he says he's not racist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ti-gkJiXc

• Options

Got bad news for ya, mom

• Options
    I was going to keep arguing but it's pointless with them. I've been down this road before and they are both completely unwilling to see past their own privilege and nothing I can say will ever change get that.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Some mild good news after yesterday
    NEW YORK -- Walmart says it will stop selling the AR-15 and other semi-automatic weapons at its stores because fewer people are buying them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/walmart-to-stop-selling-ar-15s-and-similar-weapons/

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    oh good, the picture my local newspaper chose to use accompanying their article on the shooting is from (what I assume is) the shooter's video showing a first person view of the gun pointed at Alison Parker.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    oh good, the picture my local newspaper chose to use accompanying their article on the shooting is from (what I assume is) the shooter's video showing a first person view of the gun pointed at Alison Parker.

wow anything to sell copy

jesus christ

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I saw the video from the shooter's point of view and it made me feel sick. I didn't deliberately seek it out; it got posted to Facebook by some drop kick I went to high school with. It was titled 'hilarious news anchor goof!' And yeah... Unfriended the guy with a quickness but holy hell, what a shitty thing to do

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    I saw the video from the shooter's point of view and it made me feel sick. I didn't deliberately seek it out; it got posted to Facebook by some drop kick I went to high school with. It was titled 'hilarious news anchor goof!' And yeah... Unfriended the guy with a quickness but holy hell, what a shitty thing to do

what in the actual fuck

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I can understand that argument if it were like a page 1 or 2 article and photo.

This is (as an international piece) a page 12 item.

That photo is there just because of....no fucking clue.

• Options
    Now my step dad is telling me how easy it must be living in Minnesota and not being in Ferguson or Flint.

He lives in fucking Indiana! He lived in Detroit like 30 years ago and he likes to act like that makes him an authority.

I don't want to continue this with him because I know it leads to me being more and more pissed.

• Options
    Unfriend him!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Some mild good news after yesterday
    NEW YORK -- Walmart says it will stop selling the AR-15 and other semi-automatic weapons at its stores because fewer people are buying them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/walmart-to-stop-selling-ar-15s-and-similar-weapons/

To be returned to shelves sometime in Spring / early Summer before 2016 elections, where the gun buying panic will pick up again because a Clinton will be running for office!

Expect heavy mark up.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It's my mom's account too. She's just his yes woman but it's still my mom.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    God dammit... I wake up to see this on my Facebook from my Mom/Step-dad (they share an account)

"It's really sad about the two news people shot in Virginia by a black man. How much rioting will be happening I would guess not much after all he was probably underprivileged that would justify it in the eyes of Naacp and Al Sharpton."

I'm so fucking pissed at them right now. I told them how incredibly disappointed I was to see them using a horrible tragedy to push a racist agenda. How absolutely disrespectful this is to the innocent people who were killed.

People at my workplace have been talking about the shooting in these terms and it makes me nearly physically ill. I'm really glad tomorrow is my last day here, I am definitely not fitting in with this crowd.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm quoting from the D&D thread on this, as I thought it was very well said.

Astaereth wrote: »

Just want to point out that, even from the limited quotes of a longer manifesto, it sounds like the killer's intention was always to commit suicide, and to use his manifesto and Twitter feed as a way to try and shape his posthumous reputation. He didn't kill to publicize his manifesto, he wrote the manifesto to justify the killing he was already going to do. If he really wanted to fight a race war he would have shot a bunch of white strangers (in a church, maybe, for symmetrical retaliation against Roof). What he wanted was to strike at co-workers whom he resented. By writing his manifesto the killer sought to ennoble his personal rage-murder as a righteous political act, an act of war.

With these sorts of killings the personal motivation is also first, and the ideology comes second as a result of personal unhappiness. This specific girl turned me down for sex -> all girls are bitches -> (kills a girl he knows or girls like the one he knows). Ideological murder like Roof's (or McVeigh's, etc) strikes out against strangers as an act of terrorism consciously imbued with meaning. The poignant takeway from Roof's mass shooting was that he almost didn't go through with it once he was actually in the same room with his intended targets--they went from being symbols to being people. But today's killer knew his victims already and had an existing beef with them, at least from his perspective. Nothing about the act itself was symbolic. But even in the act he was filming himself to show people, and he set up the autobiographical Twitter feed and sent the manifesto the news--ie he didn't just leave it lying on his computer to be discovered later. It's not a suicide note or a political call to arms, it's a press release, and the headline he wants on the story is "Man Fights in Continuing Race War", because "Man Kills Acquaintances Because He's Mad They Got Him Fired" is far more shameful to him. He's not killing to push the ideas, he pushes the ideas so he can market and package and brand the killing and himself even after death.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    There was something I noticed at work yesterday:

Only and I two other co-workers were aware of the situation as it happened. I had gotten a text from a friend in the local news circuit and checked out the story, but kept it to myself, because I needed time to parse and unpack what was happening, what had happened, and what could possibly happen going forward. It took me around 4 hours to come to the conclusion that I had no idea how to begin to have discourse over the shooting, the implications, the fallout.

After lunch, the whole floor pretty much knew, but no one had enough time to read the details or learn the finer points. One of my co-workers rather blithely stated, "The shooter is dead." There were the general murmurs of, "Good," "Justice at work," and all that that accompanies living in a rather conservative state in a rather conservative county in a somewhat conservative building.

But then someone started asking questions about the shooting, and one of my co-workers from earlier that morning, who had time to read up on the how and the what, began fielding questions, like they had been there.

And I wasn't surprised or shocked; it was hot news, it was a discussion point, and she had the keys to the kingdom. I wish I could say I was disappointed, but seeing that was a reminder of how our news cycle operates. The one that breaks the news, the one that has the details - as sketchy and unformed, as malleable as they are that early in the rodeo - gets the eyes.

No real point; just thought it was interesting.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It's my mom's account too. She's just his yes woman but it's still my mom.

"Mom, if you want to be my friend on facebook, you'll need to get your own account. For the sake of family harmony I don't think it's a good idea for me to be friends with him on there."

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Unconfirmed by AP and there are no details, but the MSU Maroon Alert twitter reported an active shooter on campus. Students were ordered to take shelter and stay inside until campus police advises otherwise

EDIT: According to the same twitter, the suspected shooter was apprehended. No word of injuries/fatalities yet. Hopefully there are none.

Javen on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Seeing far, far too many people saying the guy was crazy or mentally ill and that people must be in order to commit murder. Thing is, no, you don't need to be crazy, mentally unbalanced, or anything like that to kill. All you need are the right circumstances and motivation. Anyone, absolutely ANYONE can commit murder, this is why you constantly hear people saying things like "He was always so nice" and the like.

My dad once carpooled with two other people, a man and a woman, to work. He stopped when the man retired and the woman went out on medical. Very shortly after that, he got a call one morning with the news that the man had shot his wife and barricaded himself inside the home with police outside. His wife ultimately survived and he killed himself before the police could reach him. I read comments on the articles from other locals, including neighbors, and one tone seemed to resonate amongst many of them: "He was a good man, why did he do this?" Despite the fact he'd shot his wife, despite the fact his stepson had to call the police in secret out of fear for his own life, despite the fact he entered into an armed standoff with the police after they risked pulling his dying wife (she survived) from the entryway. Because they could not believe, do not want to believe, that anyone is capable of doing this, in the right circumstances. Insanity is just pushing the blame elsewhere, not to mention making it much harder for mental illness to become a socially-acceptable thing to talk about.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Seeing far, far too many people saying the guy was crazy or mentally ill and that people must be in order to commit murder. Thing is, no, you don't need to be crazy, mentally unbalanced, or anything like that to kill. All you need are the right circumstances and motivation. Anyone, absolutely ANYONE can commit murder, this is why you constantly hear people saying things like "He was always so nice" and the like.

My dad once carpooled with two other people, a man and a woman, to work. He stopped when the man retired and the woman went out on medical. Very shortly after that, he got a call one morning with the news that the man had shot his wife and barricaded himself inside the home with police outside. His wife ultimately survived and he killed himself before the police could reach him. I read comments on the articles from other locals, including neighbors, and one tone seemed to resonate amongst many of them: "He was a good man, why did he do this?" Despite the fact he'd shot his wife, despite the fact his stepson had to call the police in secret out of fear for his own life, despite the fact he entered into an armed standoff with the police after they risked pulling his dying wife (she survived) from the entryway. Because they could not believe, do not want to believe, that anyone is capable of doing this, in the right circumstances. Insanity is just pushing the blame elsewhere, not to mention making it much harder for mental illness to become a socially-acceptable thing to talk about.

Yup, I'm repeating myself from D&D but it's a way people like to draw a line to say "oh well I could never do that, I'm not crazy", because they don't want to acknowledge that we live in a world where anybody is actually capable of this, regardless of mental health.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Also apparently after he was fired the guy moved into apartments basically up the street from the station and new employees were told to avoid those apartments and watch themselves when walking around near there.

Man thats messed up.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    If you were a major media outlet and you decided to listen to the feedback around trying to link mass shootings with mental illness, how would go about that? Would you:
    A. Stop doing that, but never address the mistakes you've already made and hope everyone just forgets about it.
    B. Stop doing that, and address your previous mistakes openly while working to correct that harm done.
    C. Stop doing that but instead start trying to link mass shootings with being gay.

If you picked C, well it's good to have you on the forums, CNN.

• Options
    Narbus wrote: »
    If you were a major media outlet and you decided to listen to the feedback around trying to link mass shootings with mental illness, how would go about that? Would you:
    A. Stop doing that, but never address the mistakes you've already made and hope everyone just forgets about it.
    B. Stop doing that, and address your previous mistakes openly while working to correct that harm done.
    C. Stop doing that but instead start trying to link mass shootings with being gay.

If you picked C, well it's good to have you on the forums, CNN.

GOD DAMN IT