As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Unrated, Extended Cut [movies] thread (with Alternate Ending)

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Now that Summer's almost over it's time to push those wussy dramas and oscar bait films into the gutter where they belong and get ready for the action filled Winter movie season!!!

Dramas are the disease, Action is the cure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE2-7a_F_B0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mg_cbw9D_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg9Y6TkGiSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofh7Tism_Gw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AeGpV32E6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0rdq97-ND4

THE QUACK ATTACK IS BACK, JACK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J18UuMOybik

TexiKen on

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Are we still talking Brotherhood of the Wolf?

Because I love that movie.

I don't remember how I found out about it, but I know I tried to find it in theaters and couldn't, rented it on video, then later tried to get it on DVD for a very long time and couldn't.

It deserves much better Region 1 distribution than it gets.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I saw Brotherhood of the Wolf in theaters when it came out.

I was distinctly disappointed by it, because it wasn't what I wanted. That isn't to say it wasn't a good movie, just not what I wanted it to be.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I will see this Brotherhood of the Wolf, but there is nothing on the VOD channels and no way $30 for a DVD.

It seems to be up in german speaking Netflix countries and Luxembourg. Even France said ne to it. ce qui se passe avec ça ?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I feel like if I had watched Expendables 3 that would have been my favorite part.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I know I saw Brotherhood of the Wolf, or maybe just part of it, in French class. Much like my French, I remember absolutely none of it.

EDIT: I remembered something, and it's that 2 dudes in the movie had insanely tall collars on their coats. That's it.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    If I had realized that Brotherhood of the Wolf was as obscure as it apparently is I would have recommended it ages ago. It's a fantastic movie that has a well oiled mystery-horror plot but also kung-fu and fabulous period drama costumes and sets.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Brotherhood of the Wolf was the first movie I saw on a really good home cinema at a friends house in early high school. I lucked out and had to sit on the floor, but that meant I was close enough to the cylindrical SVS subwoofer that I could feel the air from it's port.

A few years ago I bought a 3 disc collectors edition off of Ebay for $19.99 in like new condition. It's still one of my favorite movies all these years later.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Next up in my series of requested reviews, Empire Records.

20150415-FilmFestival.jpg

Dr. Flamm: That's the thing about empires, you know. They fall.

The Romans. The Ottomans. England. America. History is the record of empires, a cataloguing of great societies whose influence shapes the way the world changes over time. Or at least that's what Empire Records would have us believe. I'm not quite sure why this educational documentary has such a cult following, to be honest, or why so many people requested I review it. It's dry material, conveyed conventionally through talking heads, documents, and graphics. But you asked, so I was willing to take the 8 hours and watch it.

Hours two through four are really the best this material has to offer, focusing on the... hm. I may have made a mistake here.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

The Romans. The Ottomans. England. America. History is the record of empires, a cataloguing of great societies whose influence shapes the way the world changes over time. Or at least that's what Empire Records would have us believe. I'm not quite sure why this educational documentary has such a cult following, to be honest, or why so many people requested I review it. It's dry material, conveyed conventionally through talking heads, documents, and graphics. But you asked, so I was willing to take the 8 hours and watch it.

Hours two through four are really the best this material has to offer, focusing on the... hm. I may have made a mistake here.

I really don't understand why you're posts aren't also a blog.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Empire Records is awful. I actually watched it again a few weeks ago on netflix, and although I don't remember all the specifics I do remember realising it was bad. And something about the main guy (the one who steals the money) being a poor attempt at a Ferris Bueller style character except with none of the charm or charisma. Plus the first time I saw it (years ago) was under the enthusiastic direction of an ex-girlfriend who claimed it was one of her favourites, and she is basically the worst and anything she thinks is great cannot actually be good.

I've also only just remembered that I actually watched The Lone Ranger about a month ago. This can also serve as my review of The Lone Ranger.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    What's with you today?

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I really don't understand why you're posts aren't also a blog.

They totally are! I tend to use the forums as jumping off points for posts (somebody asks for a review or says something I disagree with or brings up a movie or whatever), write it here, enjoy the immediate feedback here, and then 'port it over to my blog, which is currently linked in my signature. (Although we're relaunching at a new site/name in a month or two.) There's other stuff there from me as well as from a couple friends of mine. Also we've posted a few guest posts there from a couple of PA forumers.

But yeah, pretty much every real essay/review I write in these movie threads does go up elsewhere.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Interstellar. Did not like it. Doesn't mean I can't see the quality and craft in the film, I can. And it's done really well. Especially the space stuff, which was hands down the best part of the movie, but everything on Earth supremely annoyed me, it felt like it could never show but always had to tell, even if it came in such ham handed ways Spam was all "bros, chill" (by studio fiat, by Nolan's own decision, I don't know), and so many characters were bad or boring on top of the world building being wildly inconsistent when, after films such as Children of Men, The Rover, Sunshine, or even Mad Max laying down the groundwork, I definitely expect something more from Nolan of all people. And coming in at nearly three hours, with an ending that was just......

I'll put a lot of stuff in the spoilers which will likely be ranting more than likely, let's just get it out of the way

So there's a blight, ok. I can buy that because reasons. Sunshine had the sun getting weaker because reasons too. But that's your one "ignore this" that a film gets. Especially how it seems to pick off only certain crops bit by bit.

And if there's supposed to be a dustbowl analogue here, why not do the shit that they learned during the 1930's to reduce the dust or attempt something new with rotations?

Is everyone stupid? So now we have space landing deniers speak as though it's true, that space never existed. Yet at the same time they say there's too many engineers, yet Cooper still wants his son to go to school instead of farm. This is is the point where I kind of lost it; if everyone realizes how messed up shit is, do your fucking part to get it right. Kids not that qualified to go to school, oh well. Food is a priority, grow it.

Oh wait, everyone's not stupid, because while there's no MRI's anymore because reasons, yet something something hack an indian drone via wifi and on the fly computer skills. This is where I want to run and dropkick the film in physical form like in a Sandler or Kevin James movie. And apparently in this world there's also AI in all but name robots too.

Murphy's Law has always been anything bad can happen, will happen. Never been anything else, this is a lie, movie. Stop lying.

And now there's no army anywhere I guess, but there is a government. And NASA is secret because they didn't want to nuke China, because that's how government organizations work, yep. And people are mad that they didn't because apparently NASA is who you ask to nuke people. God that feels like such a fucking Disney movie learn a lesson climax condensed into one sentence of dialogue I wonder if this was forced in so it wouldn't get banned in China or something.

Black Hole is there because plot. Plot hole, right gang?

Anne Hatheway stop your scoffing and eye rolling you're about as annoying as Murph is in being hella selfish. Really people, life is shitty, your dad could save the world, let him go do his job. I'm pretty sure there's an Armageddon agreement he did where you'll never have to pay taxes too. Oh and gee this ghost thing definitely isn't going to be a callback at all

The spaceship is cool, TARS and CASE are cool, why do you have more charisma than some of these actors?

Way to get an innocent bystander killed on a water planet, Hattheway, with the added bonus of literally stealing years from Cooper and Romilly. This is where I wonder just how fucking smart these people are supposed to be. Your magic EDIs can roll and lift and do everything to the point where outside of an upcoming Matt Damon handwave away for them doing this solo are being better at exploration than the humans are.

Romilly! You're being stupid staying up so long, and where did all that food come from?!?!

Love love love love love love love, stuff stuff stuff. Hattheway's character does nothing to make me even care for her turmoil between the two locations, just because she's Anne Hattheway isn't enough reason.

Now we're going back to Earth, dealing with people I don't care for. And it's Professor X and Jean Grey now.

Oh Matt Damon. All alone. He won't be evil, on this planet that clearly is not prime real estate.

Matt Damon headbutting Cooper's helmet with that line that it's the best odds he's had in years, I genuinely liked that. Just a complete "can't be any worse than what I have" moment of realism.

Oh Casey Affleck is evil now because reasons. Burn everything to the ground then because it's all about you, Murphy. Eric Foreman is too good for you and that's saying something.

The entire attempt to save the space station, that was cool. And tense, in a way Gravity wasn't. God these space shuttles and ships are cool looking.

Black hole, left by the Protheans oh wait it's humans from the future, all your bookshelves, whatever, this is where I just turned my brain off because you don't want to play by the rules, fine. But now I have to have thirty minutes of this. Casey Affleck should have come back and beat you people up by now. Oh wait, he didn't, there's some relativity meta thing going on. And surprise surprise, Murph is the key because this wasn't telegraphed at all.

This entire space station idea only came into existence because they wanted to do the idea of a fly ball breaking a window of an upside down house, didn't it?

TARS lived, that's good. He basically saved the world with magic numbers and data that means nothing because they didn't really learn anything, but good for him to live.

Why aren't a whole bunch of people going out to find Hattheway? If the woman who saved humanity decrees it to her dad, pretty sure she could do it to the President or whoever and really let humanity rebuild. This ending makes no sense. Poor CASE, having to do all the work there for years, probably having to spray water on those embryos every day like is a produce aisle at a grocery store, robo-sighing and thinking of rolling himself down a cliff.

I know I probably missed out on something seeing it on a 50 inch TV compared to IMAX, because there are some moments where theater sound wound really get points across (and the soundtrack is great) but a good story and even characters trumps that. And I just don't feel like that's what I go here. It was one of those movies that had the look and trappings of a movie really trying to adhere to a serious jab at space travel, but when the going gets tough it sort of just pulls whatever it can out of the air to keep the story moving along with generic plot devices of much less epic movies, while at the same time thinking just because it's nearly three hours that gives it a gravitas because every minute over 90 increases clout by 5%. I know from the beginning Furious 7 makes no sense, and never will. But they never tried to make sense. Mostly bad actors, nonsense story, incredible action scenes. Just be honest, yo. Don't hide behind love as your catchall. I liked Sunshine a lot more, even with that third act.

Line%20in%20sand_zps59gjjaqw.jpg

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    maybe instead of drawing a line in the sand it should be crossing the rubicon?

• Options
  • Options
    I'm not usually one for nitpicking a movie to death, but it's more besides the point in Interstellar than usual, because for all that that movie tries for some scientific details, it's still basically a parable.

This is absurd tho:
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Anne Hatheway stop your scoffing and eye rolling you're about as annoying as Murph is in being hella selfish. Really people, life is shitty, your dad could save the world, let him go do his job. I'm pretty sure there's an Armageddon agreement he did where you'll never have to pay taxes too.
    I dunno about you, but if people came to me and said, "You're never going to see your father again, but on the bright side, he's doing the right thing. Plus you don't have to pay taxes anymore," I would be pretty upset about it.

Honestly if you can't empathize with a child not wanting her father to leave and a father not wanting to leave his child, it's no wonder the movie didn't work for you.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not usually one for nitpicking a movie to death, but it's more besides the point in Interstellar than usual, because for all that that movie tries for some scientific details, it's still basically a parable.

This is absurd tho:
    Anne Hatheway stop your scoffing and eye rolling you're about as annoying as Murph is in being hella selfish. Really people, life is shitty, your dad could save the world, let him go do his job. I'm pretty sure there's an Armageddon agreement he did where you'll never have to pay taxes too.
    I dunno about you, but if people came to me and said, "You're never going to see your father again, but on the bright side, he's doing the right thing. Plus you don't have to pay taxes anymore," I would be pretty upset about it.

Honestly if you can't empathize with a child not wanting her father to leave and a father not wanting to leave his child, it's no wonder the movie didn't work for you.

It's one thing if it's just right now, having to go do something where it's extremely vague about what's going on. That's when the situation gains empathy, and more importantly, when it's not a worn out storytelling device delivered by child actors who are almost always bad.

But Murph saw what was being attempted, she's seen the world around her continually degrade, and she's supposed to be really smart on top of this, to make it the usual storydevice of has a sad because dad has to save humanity/world, come on, it's absurd to think that would still be a valid way to hinge a plot point for a movie of this scope, not some Disney VOD film. If I knew he was one of the last attempts to save the world, I'd be sad, but I'd be super proud too at the moment and not just have a tantrum because it's not all about me and send him a video message saying I know he's going to succeed.

• Options
    I'm not saying she has the best reaction, but she has a very human reaction that just about everybody has, whether or not they overcome that reaction and find a way to be proud as well as sad. That she's book smart doesn't mean she's able to handle a hugely traumatic uprooting of her life, she's still a kid.

I don't think she's old enough to appreciate the degradation all that much, either. Isn't this pretty much all she's ever known?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Don't have time to elaborate, but I just saw Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris, and as a lifelong Godzilla fan I feel like a heretic when I say that Gamera 3 is the best movie about giant monsters I've ever seen.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I absolutely adore Brotherhood of the Wolf, though I hadn't seen it in years.

My buddy and I do movie days over the summer, each picking one the other hasn't seen. My choice was Brotherhood.

I had forgotten how absolutely Matrix 2000's that movie is. Slow motion, an actual freeze frame, multiple angle fights.

So great.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Interstellar. Did not like it. Doesn't mean I can't see the quality and craft in the film, I can. And it's done really well. Especially the space stuff, which was hands down the best part of the movie, but everything on Earth supremely annoyed me, it felt like it could never show but always had to tell, even if it came in such ham handed ways Spam was all "bros, chill" (by studio fiat, by Nolan's own decision, I don't know), and so many characters were bad or boring on top of the world building being wildly inconsistent when, after films such as Children of Men, The Rover, Sunshine, or even Mad Max laying down the groundwork, I definitely expect something more from Nolan of all people. And coming in at nearly three hours, with an ending that was just......

I'll put a lot of stuff in the spoilers which will likely be ranting more than likely, let's just get it out of the way

So there's a blight, ok. I can buy that because reasons. Sunshine had the sun getting weaker because reasons too. But that's your one "ignore this" that a film gets. Especially how it seems to pick off only certain crops bit by bit.

And if there's supposed to be a dustbowl analogue here, why not do the shit that they learned during the 1930's to reduce the dust or attempt something new with rotations?

Is everyone stupid? So now we have space landing deniers speak as though it's true, that space never existed. Yet at the same time they say there's too many engineers, yet Cooper still wants his son to go to school instead of farm. This is is the point where I kind of lost it; if everyone realizes how messed up shit is, do your fucking part to get it right. Kids not that qualified to go to school, oh well. Food is a priority, grow it.

Oh wait, everyone's not stupid, because while there's no MRI's anymore because reasons, yet something something hack an indian drone via wifi and on the fly computer skills. This is where I want to run and dropkick the film in physical form like in a Sandler or Kevin James movie. And apparently in this world there's also AI in all but name robots too.

Murphy's Law has always been anything bad can happen, will happen. Never been anything else, this is a lie, movie. Stop lying.

And now there's no army anywhere I guess, but there is a government. And NASA is secret because they didn't want to nuke China, because that's how government organizations work, yep. And people are mad that they didn't because apparently NASA is who you ask to nuke people. God that feels like such a fucking Disney movie learn a lesson climax condensed into one sentence of dialogue I wonder if this was forced in so it wouldn't get banned in China or something.

Black Hole is there because plot. Plot hole, right gang?

Anne Hatheway stop your scoffing and eye rolling you're about as annoying as Murph is in being hella selfish. Really people, life is shitty, your dad could save the world, let him go do his job. I'm pretty sure there's an Armageddon agreement he did where you'll never have to pay taxes too. Oh and gee this ghost thing definitely isn't going to be a callback at all

The spaceship is cool, TARS and CASE are cool, why do you have more charisma than some of these actors?

Way to get an innocent bystander killed on a water planet, Hattheway, with the added bonus of literally stealing years from Cooper and Romilly. This is where I wonder just how fucking smart these people are supposed to be. Your magic EDIs can roll and lift and do everything to the point where outside of an upcoming Matt Damon handwave away for them doing this solo are being better at exploration than the humans are.

Romilly! You're being stupid staying up so long, and where did all that food come from?!?!

Love love love love love love love, stuff stuff stuff. Hattheway's character does nothing to make me even care for her turmoil between the two locations, just because she's Anne Hattheway isn't enough reason.

Now we're going back to Earth, dealing with people I don't care for. And it's Professor X and Jean Grey now.

Oh Matt Damon. All alone. He won't be evil, on this planet that clearly is not prime real estate.

Matt Damon headbutting Cooper's helmet with that line that it's the best odds he's had in years, I genuinely liked that. Just a complete "can't be any worse than what I have" moment of realism.

Oh Casey Affleck is evil now because reasons. Burn everything to the ground then because it's all about you, Murphy. Eric Foreman is too good for you and that's saying something.

The entire attempt to save the space station, that was cool. And tense, in a way Gravity wasn't. God these space shuttles and ships are cool looking.

Black hole, left by the Protheans oh wait it's humans from the future, all your bookshelves, whatever, this is where I just turned my brain off because you don't want to play by the rules, fine. But now I have to have thirty minutes of this. Casey Affleck should have come back and beat you people up by now. Oh wait, he didn't, there's some relativity meta thing going on. And surprise surprise, Murph is the key because this wasn't telegraphed at all.

This entire space station idea only came into existence because they wanted to do the idea of a fly ball breaking a window of an upside down house, didn't it?

TARS lived, that's good. He basically saved the world with magic numbers and data that means nothing because they didn't really learn anything, but good for him to live.

Why aren't a whole bunch of people going out to find Hattheway? If the woman who saved humanity decrees it to her dad, pretty sure she could do it to the President or whoever and really let humanity rebuild. This ending makes no sense. Poor CASE, having to do all the work there for years, probably having to spray water on those embryos every day like is a produce aisle at a grocery store, robo-sighing and thinking of rolling himself down a cliff.

I know I probably missed out on something seeing it on a 50 inch TV compared to IMAX, because there are some moments where theater sound wound really get points across (and the soundtrack is great) but a good story and even characters trumps that. And I just don't feel like that's what I go here. It was one of those movies that had the look and trappings of a movie really trying to adhere to a serious jab at space travel, but when the going gets tough it sort of just pulls whatever it can out of the air to keep the story moving along with generic plot devices of much less epic movies, while at the same time thinking just because it's nearly three hours that gives it a gravitas because every minute over 90 increases clout by 5%. I know from the beginning Furious 7 makes no sense, and never will. But they never tried to make sense. Mostly bad actors, nonsense story, incredible action scenes. Just be honest, yo. Don't hide behind love as your catchall. I liked Sunshine a lot more, even with that third act.

Line%20in%20sand_zps59gjjaqw.jpg

Just from the start here, you seem to have entirely missed everything going on with the Earth.
    The point is that the whole planet is in decline. Resources, especially food, are running out and the entire structure of society is collapsing. The blight is killing plant species off one by one as they lose the race to adapt to fight it. Death of plants holding soil in place leads to dust storms.

Advanced society, at the most basic level, is driven by food surplus and that is not something that exists anymore. Everyone is being pushed into farming to provide enough for everyone to eat. In order to control discontent with a slowly eroding living conditions and society, the achievements of the past are being downplayed (this is specifically addressed). Organizations like NASA have been eliminated because they don't fit into the new "only survival" structure of what is left of the government.

Like, literally the whole point is that society is falling apart and has already mostly fallen apart and those left have given up hope and decided to be content with what they have. This ties directly into one of the movies themes about reaching out and going forward. Cause it is very much a pro-space-exploration movie.

And from there it goes on to criticizing people and even children for acting like people and just, really, all this nitpicky bullshit just makes it look like you didn't want to like the movie rather then there being anything wrong with the film itself. I mean, some of the details you are on about here aren't even correct.

It just reads like you wanted to hate the movie and were looking for reasons to justify that.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Re: Interstellar
    The one thing that really threw me, and convinced me that there was something going on behind the scenes with the ending was Murph exhorting Cooper to "Go to her (Brand)".

There's nothing particularly in the movie to suggest that Cooper and Brand had any kind of romantic connection (heck, at one point it's explicitly noted she's in love with someone else), but even more than that there's nothing to suggest Murph would have the slightest inkling about it even if there was such a connection. It just reeks of a shoehorned "romantic love" theme where the earlier "love" themes focused more on familial love.

Archangle on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    For 99 cents (itunes pick of the week) it's hard to hate the movie. Which is why I didn't write that. And it was labeled as ranting.

Every nice scene and fluid use of the space travel and the practical look is offset by a sagging Earth scene that drags the movie down and just doubles down on things being bad. Duh. It was established in the beginning. That's all you need. My problems with the characters was that they didn't feel like they were people, they appeared like they were acting in the movie. You can get away with a small group of standard template characters when the focus is instead on the grand exploration and being ciphers for humanity, but the film never goes that far with the planets. And when you spread the cast out too much with so many generic characters, it becomes a drag. I think this is why TARS and CASE stood out the most, because while you knew their role their imprints were at least something refreshing instead of beeps and boops.

The movie stretched itself too thin. It was the opposite of Gravity, where that movie took a single situation and amped it up as much as it could to focus on that present in order to ignore the complete lack of characterization or silly reason for the debris in the first place. But at least with Gravity it put all it's chips on the visceral element to make the film an experience that didn't really outstay it's welcome and something to view at least once.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    For 99 cents (itunes pick of the week) it's hard to hate the movie. Which is why I didn't write that. And it was labeled as ranting.

Every nice scene and fluid use of the space travel and the practical look is offset by a sagging Earth scene that drags the movie down and just doubles down on things being bad. Duh. It was established in the beginning. That's all you need. My problems with the characters was that they didn't feel like they were people, they appeared like they were acting in the movie. And when you spread the cast out too much with so many generic characters, it becomes a drag. I think this is why TARS and CASE stood out the most, because while you knew their role their imprints were at least something refreshing instead of beeps and boops.

The movie stretched itself too thin. It was the opposite of Gravity, where that movie took a single situation and amped it up as much as it could to focus on that present in order to ignore the complete lack of characterization or silly reason for the debris in the first place. But at least with Gravity it put all it's chips on the visceral element to make the film an experience that didn't really outstay it's welcome and something to view at least once.

I just can't agree. The Earth scenes are not that numerous and all serve to establish the setting from which they are going (which motivates the entire separation that provides the tension to the plot) and to establish the themes of the piece and the attitudes of the those staying vs those trying to leave. The characters are not that many and are well developed when it's needed, to the point that we feel for them when things like the return from Waterworld happen.

The movie isn't anything like Gravity and it's not trying to be. It's not a bottle movie.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I adore Interstellar, warts and all. That was a tough review to read.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Maybe, but it wasn't wrong.

I wont say anything about the space science, but the earth side part was a classic example of a cozy catastrophe. The Earth is dying, society is falling apart, but nobody is any personal danger. In real life, when food becomes scares, that's when people start killing each other. And they don't need large armies or high tech weapons either. Machetes and shovels worked just fine in Rwanda and Cambodia. The idea that with less resources, people will sit around waiting for the end is silly. They will go balls to the wall trying to survive and without any army/police to stop them, they would butcher anyone in their way.

Yes, Mad Max is a more realistic version and Mad Max:Fury Road is a way better movie.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Hang on, is this thread the remake of the earlier one or is it a reboot? (I hear that Syfy is planning a TV series.)

Interstellar is one of the few films where I was absolutely transfixed in some scenes and found myself rolling my eyes (Brand's big speech) or stifling laughter (tiny transdimensional disembodied Cooper in the 4D bookshelf - I'm sure this worked well for many, but not for me) in others. Much of its ambition paid off for me, but some of it fell flat. Nevertheless, there's a dearth of ambitious sci-fi that doesn't just go for empty spectacle, so I'm happy to have more IMO flawed works in that genre. I don't think it'll have the longevity of 2001 - but then, what does? (And it's not as if 2001 didn't bore a lot of people to death.)

Not that it scratches the same sci-fi itch, but I think that Soderbergh's Solaris is underrated. It's one of my favourite films by the director and one of my favourite performances by Clooney. (Also, Ulrich Tukur should be in more international films.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    The one thing that really threw me, and convinced me that there was something going on behind the scenes with the ending was Murph exhorting Cooper to "Go to her (Brand)".

There's nothing particularly in the movie to suggest that Cooper and Brand had any kind of romantic connection (heck, at one point it's explicitly noted she's in love with someone else), but even more than that there's nothing to suggest Murph would have the slightest inkling about it even if there was such a connection. It just reeks of a shoehorned "romantic love" theme where the earlier "love" themes focused more on familial love.

I took it as more
    Hey go to Brand because everyone she knows and loves is probably dead and she's all alone on New Earth and a friendly face will probably keep her from going insane and HEEEY maybe some sexytimes I dunno

Besides we'll be there in like a couple of days your time goooo.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Archangle wrote: »

I took it as more
    Hey go to Brand because everyone she knows and loves is probably dead and she's all alone on New Earth and a friendly face will probably keep her from going insane and HEEEY maybe some sexytimes I dunno

Besides we'll be there in like a couple of days your time goooo.

Interstellar spoilers, yo.
    Yeah, it's not "go have a love interest", it's just "look, this isn't your time any more, she's the only living person who you can really connect with, and she could probably use the company". Like, the whole hospital bed scene screams this. Not a one of his grandkids or great grandkids gives a damn about him, his own family don't care about the guy who traveled through a wormhole, was lost for decades, and was the only surviving one to come back. There's nothing for him here.

And as for child Murph's reaction on Coop leaving, well since the whole film kind of feels like a commentary on Nolan's relationship with his daughter, I guess it's probably quite authentic to the guy who wrote it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    darleysam wrote: »
    And as for child Murph's reaction on Coop leaving, well since the whole film kind of feels like a commentary on Nolan's relationship with his daughter, I guess it's probably quite authentic to the guy who wrote it.

One of the problems with "write what you know" is when, e.g., every Spielberg movie ends up featuring Spielberg's daddy issues.
    yes, Steven, troubled childhood, distant/absent father, we know.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    I had to share the excitement seeing this on my morning internet trawl brought me:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Eupfhoria wrote: »
    I had to share the excitement seeing this on my morning internet trawl brought me:

HBO's public response to that tweet is that they were having "very preliminary discussions" about a Deadwood movie. Which on one hand, isnt exactly a "it's gonna happen!" confirmation in any way, shape, or form, but the fact that they are actually talking and Garret wasn't just talking out his ass is pretty exciting.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    yup, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Just the faintest chance of more Deadwood is incredibly exciting to me, not to mention watching it on the big screen. Do you have a link handy on HBO's comments? nm, found an article and it seems "yeah we talked about it" is all there is to take away from it at this point

Eupfhoria on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay, I've sorted things out now. I apologize for yesterday's mistake. It turns out I watched the wrong movie entirely, but I have corrected this! Onto the requested review:

vlcsnap-2015-03-23-16h12m50s225.png

You know, I did ask you guys not to give me horror movies to review, but since I already screwed this up once, I went ahead and watched it anyway. Now I can see why it has such a following--as an early example of found footage horror (where the killer films themselves, no less!), Vampire Records has a fascinating aesthetic mix of grunge and camp, the kind of movie where the fake blood looks like ketchup because it is but everybody rolls with it anyways. It's goofy, gory fun from the early 80s, and I heartily recommend it. Before I get into the details, though, you should know it's only available on VHS, so you... might have trouble finding...

Aw, fuck.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Eupfhoria wrote: »

HBO's public response to that tweet is that they were having "very preliminary discussions" about a Deadwood movie. Which on one hand, isnt exactly a "it's gonna happen!" confirmation in any way, shape, or form, but the fact that they are actually talking and Garret wasn't just talking out his ass is pretty exciting.

Hrrrm.

Much as I'd like to believe, what does David Milch want to do? Ian McShane has been collecting paychecks for a good while off...stuff. Timothy Olyphant? What's he wanna do? He's just finished Justified, so...what's he wanna do?
    Plus, there's the fact that they fucking BUILT that town for real. It's been a decade. How much of that is left?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    looking up Deadwood had me stumble upon this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS_lE_AcD2k

This is amazing and new to me.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I feel like if I had watched Expendables 3 that would have been my favorite part.
    My favorite scene wasn't that, but another scene he was in. It was basically Banderas and Rousey going to town on a ton of henchmen, and it was wonderful.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Yes, Banderas is so incredibly head and shoulders above any other actor in that movie (and almost the entire series) he needs his own action shoot em up movie. Give him the Mexican version of John Wick, Juan Fuego.

Expendables 3 is up on Netflix, and Banderas' stuff is all you need to watch, really. Maybe Kelsey Grammar's roundup of the new team.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Yes, Banderas is so incredibly head and shoulders above any other actor in that movie (and almost the entire series) he needs his own action shoot em up movie. Give him the Mexican version of John Wick, Juan Fuego.

It's called Desperado.

• Options

You're joking, right?

ACsTqqK.jpg
This discussion has been closed.