As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pbp] [OOC] Mage: The Awakening - The Texan Inquisition

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Still waiting for some PCs to be finalized, but since they seem to be pretty set in stone, here's the four as it stands:

NeoToma - Joseph Mercier, Samedi
    Ardent - Axel Rhodes, Dyravörðurinn
    Moridin889 - Jordan Gehre, Soliloquy
    El Skid - Rudolpho, 'Rudie'

If your PCs wish to be familiar with one another, it's within the realm of possibility due to Order connections. If you're an apostate, that will prove more difficult.

Once everyone's completed their setup, we can make with the IC. Your PCs aren't going to be assailed upon arrival or anything, but the atmosphere will definitely look tense. And using magic that's anything but subtle is considered a disastrous move.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    While umbral impresario is cool, it doesn't bake much since without shadow I
    Control. Can I go with Samedi for my shadow name?

Also do we wanna go in on a sanctum guys?

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »

I have no dots left sir. I can turn things into gold though. Does that count?

• Options
    Joesph "Samedi" Mercier

Intelligence (••) Wits (•••) Resolve (•••)
    Strength (•) Dexterity (•••) Stamina (••)
    Presence(•••) Manipulation(•••) Composure (••)

Size 5, Health 7, Defense 2, Initiative Mod 5,
    Speed 9, Willpower 5, Gnosis 3, Mana 12

Barfly (•)
    Quick Draw (•)
    Status (Adamant Arrow) (•)
    Striking Looks (••)
    Fighting Finesse (••)

Academics (•)
    Computer (•)(•) Hacking
    Investigation (•)
    Occult (•)(•)(•)

Larceny (•)(•) Pick-pocketing
    Stealth (•)
    Weaponry (•)

Empathy (•)(•)
    Intimidation (•)(•)
    Expression (•)
    Persuasion (•)(•)
    Socialize (•)
    Streetwise (•)
    Subterfuge (•)(•) Lying

Rotes
    Adamantine Arrow Rote: Psyche's Dart (Mind •••)
    Scrying (Space ••)
    Supernal Vision (Prime •)

Defense
    Diplomat's Protection (Mind •••)
    Untouchable (Space ••)

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Durin has 2 sanctum dots and 2 sanctum security dots. As Durin is also an Adamantium Arrow, Samedi probably knows him.

I had no firm ideas on what sort of sanctum Durin would have...but I don't think a bookstore is quite his speed.

Retired Marine Scout Sniper and, Samedi at least would know this, very close to The Triangle's Kurdish community. Well-rounded fighter, but whatever happened to him on the way to the Watchtower -- and nobody locally knows -- it very nearly destroyed him. He's a shell of his former self physically, although his preternatural shooting skills seem alive and well. When he's feeling well he works with Houston SWAT training their sharpshooters. Might train other Arrows who want to learn the sniper's arts, although that's probably rare. Rides a customized Sportster Forty-Eight.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Sure, I wasn't sure what the new character's was since he had like four of them. :p

Also, regarding Sanctums: unless you have one that's pre-established, finding a new one may prove tricky.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Well, if Samedi and Durin share a sanctum, it's 3 dots large and 2 dots secure, which is respectable. If Soliloquy and Rudie are friends with either of the Arrows, they might have access to it as well.

A list of places Durin is most likely to have a sanctum (no particular order): a mechanic's shop, a small home in the Houston suburbs, a bar, near a Houston PD station, Harley dealership, on/near University of Houston campus, or near/in a Kurdish social club.

• Options
    Any of the above are viable, but the campus would be ideal in terms of space.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Since Barfly might be kind of redundant with striking looks and high social stats, I'll turn it into hallow (•) for the Sanctum.

My vote is going to be towards above a bar near campus for no reason other than I think it would be badass

NeoToma on
  • Options
    So a very well-concealed sanctum at a near-campus bar?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Ardent wrote: »
    So a very well-concealed sanctum at a near-campus bar?

The Watchtower
    Sleepers, especially historians, continue to be perplexed by the construction of the Watchtower at the corner of Scott and Southmore. Nobody can recall seeing the construction occur and continually wonder at the audacity of the structure's owner in renting out the lower two floors as a bar and lounge. The local Jehovah's Witnesses are, to say the least, not pleased with the establishment's popularity with the local collegians. They would probably be even more outraged to discover that the upper floors of the tower are occupied by a cabal of mages. The first floor -- colloquially referred to as 'the Post' which is short for 'The Guardpost' which is what the bartenders refer to it as -- is open to the general public, while the upstairs lounge -- 'the Peel' -- is open only to Houston's supernatural community. Obviously the bar's Sleeper patrons believe this to be some sort of special club and whisper openly about the fact that there are at least seven floors in the Watchtower.

Houston's supernatural community, for its part, also labors under this illusion, although nobody can recall knowing anyone who has been admitted to the Third Floor. In fact, there doesn't even appear to be a stairwell leading up to it. Local mages are well aware the top floor of the tower hosts a Hallow.

The structure itself is made of local red brick, with interior walls made from mortared local fieldstone. The lower two floors, at least, have impressive windows for excellent cross-ventilation, allowing the bar to do without air conditioning most of the year.

Ardent on
  • Options
    Samedi's corner of the Sanctum is decorated with maps for scrying, a wall of old T.Vs, and a case of fine liquors. Part of getting this sweet deal is essentially being college police for newly Awakened, scouting talent for the Order, and squashing trouble before it bubbles up.

Hallow*(•)

• Options
    wtaylorjr2001wtaylorjr2001 Registered User regular
    IS it too late to join? I would like to play a young Acanthus mage who is a college student studying English creative writing.

• Options
    IS it too late to join? I would like to play a young Acanthus mage who is a college student studying English creative writing.

Feel free to send me the details.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    This is the link to a character sheet describing Michael

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=558476

This is a work in progress

wtaylorjr2001 on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    wtaylorjr2001 on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Almost done my character- thanks for bearing with me... it's been a very busy weekend!

• Options
    If the starting gnosis is 3, can we put merit points into it to make it four?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    If the starting gnosis is 3, can we put merit points into it to make it four?

Give me a good (in-character) justification for how he progressed and I'll allow it.

Also an Awakening backstory is appreciated, especially if it ties into his Gnosis being higher.
    (Yay for Mysterium)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Rotes
    Adamantine Arrow Rote: Psyche's Dart (Mind •••)
    Scrying (Space ••)
    Supernal Vision (Prime •)

Defense
    Diplomat's Protection (Mind •••)
    Untouchable (Space ••)

I have a question- How did you get Mind ***?

Also, I don't think we have that many dots to spend on rotes?

The OP says we get:
    Arcana
    A Mage gets 2 dots in one Arcana, 2 in another, and 1 in a third.
    Two dots must go to a Ruling Arcana(i.e. Fate & Time for Acanthus), with a free point to any other Arcana. A Mage can only reach five dots in their ruling arcana, and no higher than two in their inferior.

Rotes
    6 dots. These are the spells accessible to a Mage. While having a dot in an Arcana means a Mage can improvise these spells, having a Rote means a larger dice pool, meaning it's more likely to succeed.

Basically I just want to know if I am misunderstanding the rules in my rookiedom, or if there's been a mistake here...

El Skid on
  • Options
    Whoops, somewhere I got the idea after putting two in our two ruling and then one into a third arcana, we get a sixth to put wherever we want

• Options
    Whoops, somewhere I got the idea after putting two in our two ruling and then one into a third arcana, we get a sixth to put wherever we want

Me too :(

• Options
    Wait, the rules say;

A character gains 2 dots in one Arcanum, 2 dots in a second Arcanum, and 1 dot in a third Arcanum.
    Two of these Arcana must be his Path’s Ruling Arcana (see above).
    Finally, the character gains 1 additional to be placed anywhere. He can use this dot to learn a fourth Arcanum or to improve one of his three existing Arcana.

• Options
    I'll go over the numbers in more detail tomorrow to make sure everything balances out, but nothing stood out from my spot-checking.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Basically done as well, for comparison's sake:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ag2tZJViYh0_5Z3vBTHU8RM9OjS4SQpdM05EjpmnV3A/edit?usp=sharing

May adjust skills around, because it looks like we've got some overlaps.

• Options
    Rotes

Coaxing the spirit * 6 Dice
    Spirit tongue * 5 Dice
    Momentary Flux * 7 dice
    Reading the Outmost Eddies * 7 dice
    Shifting the Odds ** 8 dice

• Options
    Is there and rule on starting items? I want to keep the staff in my picture as weapon and tool and maybe some knives?

• Options
    Part 1 History
    Michael Toran was an average college student when a freak event caused him to Awaken. He was walking across an alley when

what looked like two giant wolves, who were harrassing an older gentleman left him and went for Michael. he ran as fast as

he could from the wolves. There was a cab with its door open as an older woman was exiting. Michael pushed her back into

the cab as he jumped into the cab himself, shutting the door behind him. The wolves clawed at the door to the cab for a

while and ran off as a man came shouting names at the wolves. The wolves heeled and he took them away. It was like night

and day as the wolves became docile and even affectionate with the man. But there was a feeling when Michael got out of

the car. He helped the older lady get out of the car. The feeling was that those wolves didn't feel right. In the distance

was the man the wolves were originally harrassing. The sight of him caused Michael to feel strange. There was something

odd about him. Michael thought about it constantly and the feeling did not leave him all day. He had an odd dream that

night. In the dream, he got out of bed. He looked at the clock and it said two in the morning. He went to the door and

opened it. Instead of seeing a hallway that showed doors to his neighbors rooms, he saw a thick hedge. In the distance he

saw a huge silver or white tower. He felt compelled to go there. It was a long walk through the hedge that scraped him

raw. But he did not stop. When he made it to the tower, he saw names written on the outside of the tower. He also saw a

glowing spot on the tower with a pen below it. He took the pen and wrote his name among the others. Suddenly he found

himself in his room and in his bed.

• Options
    @cj iwakura hasn't said anything regarding starting items, but most Storytellers tend to go with "what makes sense."

Considering right now nobody has Merit points invested in Resources, the characters are basically broke. I figure whatever pension Durin has is channeled back into the Watchtower. I will probably expend experience points early on to "build" the business front into a profitable enterprise, so Durin and Samedi can afford to furnish the sanctum.

Bottom line on Durin, magic-wise:

Time ●●●, Fate ●●, Space ●

Perfect Timing ●: Strike True; Intelligence + Composure + Time (9); each success grants a single extra die on the next roll that has to or is chosen to be made
    Temporal Dodge ●●: Dancing upon the River; Dexterity + Athletics + Time (8); successes add 1 point of armor per Time arcana dot (3) to Defense
    Exceptional Luck ●●: Blessings of the Gods; Manipulation + Occult + Fate (6); gain the 9-again quality on one future dice roll for every success (does not affect Chance die)
    Spatial Map ●: Ballistic Targeting; Intelligence + Occult + Space (5); every success eliminates one penalty die to ranged attack pool -- can ignore blindness when locating objects or targeting beings

As far as what he'll be improvising, I feel fortunate to be playing a Time/Fate mage because most of what they do is covert. Tipping the odds here, shaving seconds there. Eventually he may branch into other magics, but I'm not going to lie outside of Life I'm sort of underwhelmed for how the character is meant to be played.

• Options
    Mind ●●●, Space ●●, Prime ●

I see Samedi as a social glass cannon. He goes in real smooth, gets intel, maybe gets some True Names, swipes anything he can make a sympathetic connection with. He makes himself the center of attention so others can work more convertly or set something up. In one on one he hits dudes with mind blast, and it caught in a physical altercation he is handy with that staff.

Switches between the distraction, the covert ops guy, and the mastermind organizing through telepathy.

• Options
    Although for defense I meant those to be counted as not rotes, but just the defensive spells he casts on himself on at the start of the day.

• Options
    Switched to Fate 3 Spirit 1

• Options
    Michael Toran aka Black Smoke Part 2 History.
    The next day he met a man who claimed to be from a group called the Mysterium. He was the guy from the alley. He

apologized saying another Wizard, one he was fighting sent the wolves after him. He said he cast fate magic to give the

wolves someone else to chase. He escaped at the cost of Michaels strife. He claimed to be a Wizard of the Mysterium, and

he also said that Michael was one too. He told Michael what to do and Michael half heartedly tried and suddenly his

perceptions became more acute and he began to see the world around him. It took a while but Michael did succeed in casting

Magesight. Over the nights studying True Magic, the domain of Fate. For the next year Michael worked on getting his

English degree and mastering Fate magic. He became a Disciple of Fate. Then he did something foolish. He felt that he was

in a rut, that his experience and capability in doing Magic was stagnated. He tried to use magic to increase his ability

to use magic. It was a long ritual spell that he cast in the morning. The imageo of the spell was a sense of him meeting a

powerful supernatural entity that could take him to the next level faster. He met a vampire. He was somewhere that he

shouldn't be and he happened upon a vampire feeding on a young woman. Then the vampire turned to him when she was dead. He

used Fate like he never used it before. He ran like he never ran before. He survived by using his Fate magic to help him

get away. He reported his findings to the Mysterium. The other Mysterium Mages began calling him Black Smoke which was one

of the things he did to escape the vampire that was trying for another meal.

• Options
    Ardent wrote: »
    @cj iwakura hasn't said anything regarding starting items, but most Storytellers tend to go with "what makes sense."

Considering right now nobody has Merit points invested in Resources, the characters are basically broke. I figure whatever pension Durin has is channeled back into the Watchtower. I will probably expend experience points early on to "build" the business front into a profitable enterprise, so Durin and Samedi can afford to furnish the sanctum.

Bottom line on Durin, magic-wise:

Time ●●●, Fate ●●, Space ●

Perfect Timing ●: Strike True; Intelligence + Composure + Time (9); each success grants a single extra die on the next roll that has to or is chosen to be made
    Temporal Dodge ●●: Dancing upon the River; Dexterity + Athletics + Time (8); successes add 1 point of armor per Time arcana dot (3) to Defense
    Exceptional Luck ●●: Blessings of the Gods; Manipulation + Occult + Fate (6); gain the 9-again quality on one future dice roll for every success (does not affect Chance die)
    Spatial Map ●: Ballistic Targeting; Intelligence + Occult + Space (5); every success eliminates one penalty die to ranged attack pool -- can ignore blindness when locating objects or targeting beings

As far as what he'll be improvising, I feel fortunate to be playing a Time/Fate mage because most of what they do is covert. Tipping the odds here, shaving seconds there. Eventually he may branch into other magics, but I'm not going to lie outside of Life I'm sort of underwhelmed for how the character is meant to be played.

I'm meant to be basically broke, with just a vehicle some clothes and books in luggage stuff.

I basically occasionally turn cheap watches and jewelry into real stuff and sell it for subsistence level living

• Options
    Is there and rule on starting items? I want to keep the staff in my picture as weapon and tool and maybe some knives?

Unless they're artifacts(and thus requiring expenditures), it's fine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'm still plodding away at Durin's Awakening story (4 pages long so far...)

Do Black Smoke, Rudie and/or Soliloquy know either Durin or Samedi?

Both Durin and Samedi would be fairly regular at the Peel, which is an easy way for Black Smoke, Rudie, and Soliloquy to have met them.

• Options
    @cj iwakura are we going with "given names as True Names" or "your True Name is revealed to you at your Awakening"? Tangentially relevant to my Awakening story D:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Black Smoke can have met Durin, though he is not a regular at the Peel. He could have met anyone there. He is a young college student that needed to unwind sometimes.

wtaylorjr2001 on
  • Options
    I'm thinking Rudie is very recently ascended. Not even sure if he has a society as yet.

He's a local almost-priest that's gotten caught up in all this mess with the church exploding... Perhaps any out of towners have been taken in by him, to keep you out of trouble and at the same time learn about the basics of Magic?

• Options
    Well Jordan has fled from the sclesti in canadia to here thanks to the Free Council, and would likely have been assigned to a newly Awakened individual, hoping to influence them to join the order.