As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Destiny: The Taken King. Like The Lion King, but with less regicide.

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Social Entropy++
Destiny is a video game made by Bungie and published by Activision. In it, players take on the role of a Guardian, one of the last defenders of Earth against unspeakable horrors.

Long ago, the Traveler came to our Solar System. It ushered in a new golden age for humanity, and our species colonized new worlds and pushed the bounds of science. That is until, the Darkness came. An unknown entity or force destroyed the AI defenses guarding the Solar System and nearly wiped out humanity. Only the Traveler sacrificing itself saved us from certain doom.

Years later, Ghosts, sparks of the travelers light, roam the wastes looking for dead to make into Guardians. Warriors who transcend death, they harness the power of the Traveler to push back the Darkness and reclaim what is rightfully ours.

Humanity is:

Humans-boring ole vanilla humans. AKA what you are today. Go look in a mirror. Boom, that's a human. The majority of Humanity live in The Last City, protected by the Traveler.

Awoken-Humans who tried to flee the Darkness during the Collapse. Trapped in a system of space wrecks between Mars and Jupiter know as the Reef, their prolonged exposure to the Darkness has changed them. Believing themselves to be beyond the dichotomy of Light and Dark, most live under the rule of the mysterious and isolationist Queen. However, some Awoken choose to go join the Guardians of the Tower. Those that do are not welcomed back.

Exo-Robots! Evidence points to a possible past where humans became the Exo to live longer. However, no exo has a solid memory of their origin. They are also blessed with sweet dance moves. Just don't ask them to do the robot, it ain't cool.

Our Enemies:

The Darkness: In typical Bungie fashion, the big bad is a capital Adjective of mysterious origin. Not much is directly known of the Darkness, but it caused the Collapse and seems to use our new Neighbors as puppets to fight the Traveler and those that stand with it.

The Fallen: A race of four armed pirates. Once they were a great civilization, then all they had was destroyed. They set up camps in old ruins on Earth, the Moon, and Venus in addition to stalking the void in their Ketches. Some members of this race serve the Queen.

The Hive: A race of Darkness worshiping beings who have set up base on the Moon. Recently, they have begun an invasion of Earth. They hate the Light and those that serve it with a religious fervor, and will not rest until it is extinguished.

The Vex: A race of time traveling beings. Cold, calculating, and unknowable, their motives are a mystery to all. They appear out of ruins as old as the Solar System on Venus and Mars.

The Cabal: A militaristic race from an empire that spans multiple star systems. Currently they occupy Mars, fighting a war of attrition against the Vex. Against all odds, they appear to be winning.

The Taken: The new kids on to block, they appear to compose of beings who have been "taken" by Oryx, the Father of Crota. Oh, and he's kinda mad you killed his son.

Other important people:

Rasputin-Don't ask me why the Russian's decided to name a AI built to wage war Rasputin. Considering how Rasputin 1.0 worked out, I would of said it was a bad idea. However, he now exists as the last Warmind. Built to defend Earth, his (?) actions during and after to collapse are currently unknown. But now he has asked for your help, and could prove to be a powerful ally.

Xur-An agent of the Nine, Xur shows up every weekend to sell exotic weapons and armor to the Guardians. No one knows what he does with the coins.

The Nine- Beings who exist beyond the Asteroid Belt, they act through their agent Xur. Very little is known about them.

Expansions:

The Dark Below-Eris, a former Guardian, has returned to the tower to warn that Crota has returned and is on the war march. Previous attempts to stop him caused the deaths of thousands of Guardians. This time you get six. Good luck.

Features new maps, weapons, missions, and a new raid.

Prison of Elders-The Queen has called upon the Guardians for assistance. Skolas has broken out from the Nine's prison and now lead's the House of Wolves on a campaign to unite the Fallen Houses and destroy the Traveler once and for all. It's up to you to stop him. Oh, and the Queen will pay you well.

Features new maps, weapons, missions, and a new three person coop arena where you fight against the Queen's prisoners for a chance of exotic loot.

The Taken King: Oryx, the Taken King has arrived in our system in his Dreadnought. In orbit around Jupiter, he plans to wage war against the Guardians and their allies to avenge his son.

Trailers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnTYt_lu4CE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTvf2cAIUtk

Players-
PSN
DouglasDanger
That Dave Fella-- ThatDaveFella
Bubby-- Fathom216
cornell-- cornell002
fearghaill-- fearghaill
kevin crist-- IEATBRAINMEAT
AtomicTofu-- AtomicTofu
beef Avenger-- robo_wizard1
unbreakablevow-- unbreakablevow
CorporateLogo-- CorpLogo
Veldrin-- Sechael
IronKnuckle's Ghost-- IKisGreat
Aretè‌-- ninjafrizz
timspork's ghost-- timspork
Virgil leads us-- L4ST_L3VI4TH4N
Lasbrook-- Lasbrook
Azraith-- AzraithDeMitri
Penguin Incarnate-- PICarnehan
I Win Swordfights-- bryarray
Walt-- GeneiDjinn
Balefuego-- Balefuego2
WheatBun01-- WheatBun01
Mr. G-- MrGtD
blankzilla-- blankzilla
TheShaqtus-- HurbBurbs
Maddoc-- Masked_Unit
Elderlycrawfish-- Elderlycrawfish
rhylith-- Amalockh
Phasen-- PhasenWeeple
Hobnail-- HobnailAlpha
vsove-- vsove
Vann Diras-- VannDiras
Thetheroo-- Tetrareggaeton
Shorty-- floydian_hate
twotimesadingo - twotimesadingo
SirEtchwarts-SirEtchwarts
Hermano-AHermano

Xbox One
Raijin Quickfoot -- RAIJINQ
Feriluce-- LordFeriluce
Local H Jay-- Local H Jay
Man of the Waves-- BuckarooHoliday
Nicopernicus-- Nicopernicus
Brogey-- Bogestrom
Ninjabear-- DinoTeen
Aphostile -- LastAphostile
LuvTheMonkey-- LuvTheMonkey
Vagabond-- Sans Gravitas
Geebs -- TheGeebs
cb557-cZb557

PS3???

Hullis-- vuvuzellis
Uriel - jarofmoldymayo
Krieghund - Anduvin

JusticeforPluto on

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Kinda bummed about not seeing this for a while, maybe even as late as next year, but ah well.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Destiny GOTY 2015

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm getting excited for the taken king

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I heard this game sucks

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to the weapon changes, so tired of Thorn

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Yeah buddy
    I actually got a Thorn a while ago, but it was right around the time I was getting bored

If had cannons had just a smidge less range, and fusion guns were just a little better...

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the new supers! They all look badass. I'm also glad they changed the leveling system.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I miss those huge maps too

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be starting from scratch on Xbox with a friend that's playing the game for the first time.

Super looking forward to revamped everything.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'll make a new character so I hope there's a way to replay the new old-subclass quests and see the restructured story. It'd be too hard to lose all the maxed out subclasses.

• Options
    You'll be able to replay old missions like you can now. You can do that from the 8th too as that's when Nolandroid is getting patched in. You'll totally be able to do the new old-subclass quests too

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    You can add me to the OP if you like, PS4 username is SirEtchwarts as well

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Ah, seems I need to be added to the OP as well. cZb557 on Xbone.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I kinda hope this game is still active when I can get around to buying and playing it.

I'll see you all in five years!

• Options
    Hey what the dickens, @JusticeforPluto, I'm a player where's my name

This is an outrage!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Names are coppied off John Hams old list.

I do not accept blame for previous administrations mistakes :P

Jk I'll get to adding people soon.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    This game is pretty dope honestly.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Could I have Gunslinger leveled to about 20 or so, get the Nightstalker subclass and then use that bump to 25 to skip leveling that? Or do I have to be 25 to even get that
    I hated having to go back to square one on my grenades and stuff when I tried out Bladedancer

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Could I have Gunslinger leveled to about 20 or so, get the Nightstalker subclass and then use that bump to 25 to skip leveling that? Or do I have to be 25 to even get that
    I hated having to go back to square one on my grenades and stuff when I tried out Bladedancer

The level bump is an item your whole account has access to. So you could use it on your old dude and it would probably work like that. Or I could help you run through some content pretty quick so you could have your grenades back, that way you could use that item for a second class or whatever.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yeah level will be for your Hunter whatever subclass you're using, they've also said the new subclasses won't start from scratch without grenades and shit, you'll get stuff as soon from doing the quest

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Names are coppied off John Hams old list.

I do not accept blame for previous administrations mistakes :P

Jk I'll get to adding people soon.

There's a joke here about re-using old content but I'll rise above it

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    @Grey Ghost switch subclasses when you turn bounties in
    You don't have to be hobbled with shit stuff that way

• Options
    squall99x wrote: »

This is great

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Is there a place I can go read a huge info dump of all the TTK changes cause I have not been paying super close attention and only know piecemeal bits.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Is there a place I can go read a huge info dump of all the TTK changes cause I have not been paying super close attention and only know piecemeal bits.

new subclasses
    new weapon types
    new exploration area
    new raid
    several new strikes
    level cap increase to 40
    light system reworked, now an average of the light level of ALL your items, affects DMG dealt and received
    vault space doubled
    strike bosses given more personality, unique drops
    peter dinklage completely stripped from game, replaced by some guy named Nolan North
    weapons rebalanced
    new exotics
    official word is SOME exotics are being brought forward to year 2 levels, unofficial word is all exotics eventually
    new crucible mode 1: basically capture the flag but you get points for moving the flag
    new crucible mode 2: "all cooldowns are SUPER fast, go apeshit"
    vault space doubled
    rep factions are pledged to now
    shaders/emblems/ships/scooters are now account unlocks
    crucible/vanguard marks are no more, combined into one "legendary" mark earned across the account
    nightfalls are no longer kick-to-orbit, no more XP buff
    weeklies are changing too but I don't remember how
    feed guns to other guns to raise their power
    still no wardrobe/transmog system
    story is way more in-depth apparently? I mean who really knows yet
    supposedly there's more they haven't revealed and won't, because #bungie

I think that's it???

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Still no character editor :(

• Options

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/thetakenking.aspx

that's where almost all the info has come from

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I hadn't heard about feeding guns to other guns. I assume there is a cap though.

• Options
    I hadn't heard about feeding guns to other guns. I assume there is a cap though.
    I mean the cap is basically just "the highest level for Year 2 (or what we've determined the cap to be currently at this DLC release)" and I THINK they have to be legendary guns to eat each other, but yeah.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Guns are cannibals? Who knew?

Alt post: Guns don't kill people, guns kill guns.

• Options
    Well guardians aren't people, they're zombies, so guns also kill zombies.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »

new subclasses
    new weapon types
    new exploration area
    new raid
    several new strikes
    level cap increase to 40
    light system reworked, now an average of the light level of ALL your items, affects DMG dealt and received
    vault space doubled
    strike bosses given more personality, unique drops
    peter dinklage completely stripped from game, replaced by some guy named Nolan North
    weapons rebalanced
    new exotics
    official word is SOME exotics are being brought forward to year 2 levels, unofficial word is all exotics eventually
    new crucible mode 1: basically capture the flag but you get points for moving the flag
    new crucible mode 2: "all cooldowns are SUPER fast, go apeshit"
    vault space doubled
    rep factions are pledged to now
    shaders/emblems/ships/scooters are now account unlocks
    crucible/vanguard marks are no more, combined into one "legendary" mark earned across the account
    nightfalls are no longer kick-to-orbit, no more XP buff
    weeklies are changing too but I don't remember how
    feed guns to other guns to raise their power
    still no wardrobe/transmog system
    story is way more in-depth apparently? I mean who really knows yet
    supposedly there's more they haven't revealed and won't, because #bungie

I think that's it???

Yeah I knew most of this I meant like a place where the new systems and such are layed out in detail

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I don't think any systems have been layed out in detail. Bungie updates aren't usually that in-depth for features announcements.

• Options
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Well guardians aren't people, they're zombies, so guns also kill zombies.

You're really streaching the definition of the word Zombie there hoodie.

Ironically closer to its orginal meaning, but still!

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Hey, JusticeForPluto, could I get added to the PSN list in the OP? PSN name is BurroOul. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a decent guide for beginners? Jumping in right now is pretty daunting.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Hey, JusticeForPluto, could I get added to the PSN list in the OP? PSN name is BurroOul. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a decent guide for beginners? Jumping in right now is pretty daunting.

No problem.

For beginners, I'd say just focus in the story line. Worry about strikes later (expect the on map ones, do those as you level up).

Doing the story line will introduce you to most of the enemy types, give you mats, and let you home your pve skills. Don't spend your mats on low level gear, save your glimmer and mats for higher teir, more permant items.

Unless you want to pvp, then just jump in asap and learn the maps.

• Options
    Ugh all the new stuff just keeps sounding great. Depending on where I stand job wise on Wednesday or Thursday I might have to look into seeing if I can budget for this. ><

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »

No problem.

For beginners, I'd say just focus in the story line. Worry about strikes later (expect the on map ones, do those as you level up).

Doing the story line will introduce you to most of the enemy types, give you mats, and let you home your pve skills. Don't spend your mats on low level gear, save your glimmer and mats for higher teir, more permant items.

Unless you want to pvp, then just jump in asap and learn the maps.

Absolutely.

If you're getting TTK, just do the main scenario story. If you don't meet the base level requirements for the next story mission, do a few matches in PVP and grab some bounties.

Once you finish the main story, do the side missions if you didn't already do them. Then start doing the Dark Below quests. Once you finish those, do the House of Wolves missions.

After those are finished, see about doing the Vault of Glass and Crota's End raids with a Sherpa group from Reddit. I would strongly recommend doing the Crota's End stuff most of all though, because the raid is a lot of fun and also directly leads into TTK.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Ehhhhh

The lead in from Crota's End to TTK is "you killed Crota."

That's it, story wise

It is otherwise half a good raid half mediocre bullshit.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the tips. How hamstrung will I be if I avoid PvP stuff? That's not really my bag.

This discussion has been closed.