Options

The [Superhero] fun train has no brakes!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Max Landis reaches his final form of Nerd on The Internet:
    My opinion on this stems not from my love of preference of individual characters, but rather for how the characters work best. The Avengers work best when vulnerable; Batman works best when he's written as a domineering and intense force of nature.

I think they'd stand a better chance in Round 2, but Round 1 goes like this. Okay, so let's say The Avengers appear in a city with batman and they fight.

In order:

Banner gets knock-out darted before he turns into Hulk
    Iron Man's suit gets hacked real quick
    Vision gets EMP'd reeeeal quick
    Thor gets Batwing'd into a building and then glued down with polymer
    B Wids and H-Eye get knocked the f out
    Cap's a fight but Batman wins
    Honestly if they fought him one on one it would be a fairer fight because he wouldn't be able to use the city against them as effectively; that ninja training is gonna be a b*tch for the rough and tumble MCU Avengers. Honestly I like Cap as a character more than I like Batman, I like Iron Man more too.

Superman fighting the Avengers is just...not a fight. There's no tactical element to it. He just punches all of them once.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Hope that it stays as good as the convergence tie in. That had a lot to do with the art too. Lee Weeks does pretty art

I do like the idea that at least part of his secret mission is making sure villains he had to deal with in his reality don't come to be in this one, making life for the DCnU Supes a little easier.

Shifting gears to Marvel, has anyone seen the textless preview pages for Sam Wilson: Captain America #1? They show off an interesting pair of additions to his post-SW supporting cast.
    Sam-Wilson-Captain-America-1-Preview-1-bb2e7.jpg
    Sam-Wilson-Captain-America-1-Preview-2-c2c7a.jpg

Wait whoa wait hold on
    since when is D-Man alive?

• Options
    Daniel Way wrote like, 8 good Deadpool issues
    Bullseye vs. Deadpool was good stuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I am like a million percent sure you can't just dart banner in the mcu

• Options
    Also from the same interview, his pitch for Man of Steel 2
    As he relates to Screen Junkies, in the wake of the widespread destruction in the 2013 film, Superman is a reviled figure while Clark Kent, suffering from PTSD, has hung up his cape. Ready to leave Metropolis forever, Clark is given one last assigned for the Daily Planet: to interview charismatic billionaire Lex Luthor -- "basically an evil Elon Musk" -- portrayed by none other than Tom Hanks. In a film directed by James Cameron.
    It turns out the brilliant Luthor knows Clark's true identity, and offers to help him repair his damaged reputation, by sending him where he's needed most. In exchange, however, Superman will have to perform a few favors. Despite Batman's warnings, Clark agrees to Lex's terms. It's only after he captures some of the world's seemingly dangerous meta-humans and vigilantes -- Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter -- that Superman discovers Lex's true, sinister intentions: to assemble his own superhuman league, mightier than any army.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Haha oh max landis

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Daniel Way wrote like, 8 good Deadpool issues
    Bullseye vs. Deadpool was good stuff

yeah basically after the arc with osborn and bullseye it dropped like a stone

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    No, Max.

Batman could not fight every single Avenger at once and win easily.

That is ridiculous.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    No, Max.

That is ridiculous.

But stilts!

Polymer!

Knockout darts!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    well, comics batman could probably fight the mcu avengers and win, sure

but that's both unfair and also just plain stupid

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Two new Transformers movies have been revealed

Transformers 5 directed by Michael Bay and written by Akiva Goldsman which...bleh.

And an animated origin film set on Cybertron written by Andrew Barrer and Gabriel Ferrari who did the final Ant-Man rewrite after McKay and Rudd made their changes.

That one

Could maybe be alright!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Tom hanks as lex is actually superb though

• Options
    bay claimed he hasn't actually signed on for anything yet

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I dunno, The Punisher killed the entire Marvel universe and Batman's better than the Punisher, so...
    But actually the Punisher is better than Batman, because when The Joker met The Punisher he was scared because the Punisher was actually going to kill him unlike Batman.
    baaaaaarffff nerd arguments

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    bay claimed he hasn't actually signed on for anything yet
    Well Wahlberg is still starring and Goldsman wrote it so even if he does somehow abandon the franchise after initially planning on leaving after 3 but then deciding to stay on the money train it'll probably still be straight up poop

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Batman's not even better than Batroc the Leaper

• Options
    i'm not expecting transformers 5 to be good, i was just clarifying that the initial report wasn't entirely accurate

the series is 4 movies deep and hasn't produced anything actually watchable yet

• Options
    No, Max.

That is ridiculous.

But stilts!

Polymer!

Knockout darts!

I love how he says Batman could just hack Iron Man's suit

Like that has never ever happened to Stark

And he has no contingency plans for it

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Why doesn't Batman just put the whole Avengers in a bottle?

• Options
    No, Max.

That is ridiculous.

But stilts!

Polymer!

Knockout darts!

The whole thing assumes that batman's first attempt is successful against every opponent

which isn't even how batman works in his own series

he usually has to form a plan and come back

its peak "BATMAN WINS CAUSE HES THE BEST" argumentation

• Options
    I love Batman

But goddamn am I sick of Batman fans

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Thor is hilarious to me

uh

Uhhh

He...hits him with a plane?

And uh

Oh! He glues him down! Yeah!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    No, Max.

That is ridiculous.

But stilts!

Polymer!

Knockout darts!

As if Batman could hack J.A.R.V.I.S. It took Ultron to hack J.A.R.V.I.S. Ultron would have Bruce Wayne's secrets out for the world to see inside of 52 minutes. Unless Oracle exists. In which case, make it a day.

I have other snide counter-arguments (among which the most controversial is my dumb opinion that almost any version of Hawkeye beats Batman 99% of the time), but yeah, this is just Max Landis bein' dumb.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Thor is hilarious to me

uh

Uhhh

And uh

with a polymer that can hold a literal god

The superman one is dumb too, but yeah just

wow max

• Options
    Uncanny-Avengers-1-Preview-3-987c4.jpg
    what the fuck happened to you Ryan Stegman

Look at that Spider-Man in the third panel!

You used to do this!
    superior-spider-man-1-page-8.jpg

who did this to you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    I finally watched Age of Ultron.

I have two questions. 1) Why/what is the significance of Tony's Irish computer voice. 2) Who was that blue dude? Wiki says Thanos, also that he's a Titan which I assume is some sort of old god. I've never heard of him.

Irish computer voice? You mean F.R.I.D.A.Y?

The name is a play on 'His Gal Friday', a 1940s American comedy film. It's basically just another AI, like JARVIS, though probably not as advanced. He needs an AI to help him control his suit for maximum effectiveness and awareness.

Um, actually, JARVIS isn't an AI, he's simply a highly sophisticated digital assistant program (like Siri's great-great-great-great-grandson). The sheer volume of situations he was designed to handle and expansive vocabulary gives him the appearance of intelligence, but he lacks any proper independent-learning capabilities.

Building natural language will probably actually be harder than building intelligence

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Thor is hilarious to me

uh

Uhhh

And uh

with a polymer that can hold a literal god

The superman one is dumb too, but yeah just

wow max

Wellll, he is talking MCU. And MCU Thor isn't a literal god, but a sufficiently advanced alien. (Generally, comic book Thor is able to go toe to toe with post-Crisis Superman. MCU Thor isn't that powerful.)

The problem with his suggested tactic is Mjolnir. Assuming a superglue can actually hold Thor down (and we can do that, because MCU Thor and comic science), MCU Mjolnir can still travel fast enough to break Earth orbit in seconds and respond to telepathic commands. So unless he can actually knock out Thor (which even MCU Hulk can't do, so no) or is worthy of Mjolnir (which if Cap isn't, he isn't), then after Thor is pinned down, Mjolnir seeks out Batman's skull and reduces it to paste.

• Options
    If you go with the old rules of 60 seconds without touching Mjolnir reverts Thor back to Donald Blake then I'm sure Batman could think of a way to beat him.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    If you go with the old rules of 60 seconds without touching Mjolnir reverts Thor back to Donald Blake then I'm sure Batman could think of a way to beat him.

But we aren't. We're talking MCU Thor here, and he doesn't have that limitation.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I know I bring this up like every other page but another reason I really loved the JLU expies in Hickman's New Avengers is that the "Batman" immediately realizes he is mostly outclassed.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Shame he's not purple

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I am like a million percent sure you can't just dart banner in the mcu

I'm suddenly thinking of that scene in Jurassic Park 2 where Eddie is describing the darts he's carrying, loaded with a toxin that kills the animal before it even feels the prick from the impact.

So that, but sleepytimes instead.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Batman's not even better than Batroc the Leaper

Few are.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I also propose that sometimes people reacting against Batman fans go too far and make it "everybody clowns Batman" is seems just as dumb, just in the opposite direction. You don't avoid driving into a wall by driving off a cliff.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Shame he's not purple

Shame he's not a place to bury murder victims.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Idk about clowning (which you can't spell without owning) batman but I like the idea that it actually takes everything he has just to keep up and he just projects an image of hyper preparedness that could own anybody

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    -Tal wrote: »
    Idk about clowning (which you can't spell without owning) batman but I like the idea that it actually takes everything he has just to keep up and he just projects an image of hyper preparedness that could own anybody

Being prepared for likely scenarios and making everybody think you're prepared for everything else is almost as good as actually being prepared for everything, but for a fraction of the effort.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I am seriously disappointed that the Purple Man isn't purple.

• Options
    It's like if the red skull just had a kind of sunburnt gaunt face

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.