Options

The [Superhero] fun train has no brakes!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    If you put Mjolnir on top of someone will it cut through them if they are unworthy to provide lift with their body

Did you not watch the first Thor movie?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    -Tal wrote: »
    If you put Mjolnir on top of someone will it cut through them if they are unworthy to provide lift with their body

No

Mjolnir isn't impossibly heavy in a gravitational sense, as you might be expecting

It would stay where it was placed, and prevent the person from getting up, but it's not like gravity is worthy of it either

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't understand why gluing Thor to the ground is supposed to end the fight

even if he manages to somehow glue both Thor and Mjolnir, does the glue somehow prevent Thor from throwing lightning at Batman

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Max Landis reaches his final form of Nerd on The Internet:
    My opinion on this stems not from my love of preference of individual characters, but rather for how the characters work best. The Avengers work best when vulnerable; Batman works best when he's written as a domineering and intense force of nature.

I think they'd stand a better chance in Round 2, but Round 1 goes like this. Okay, so let's say The Avengers appear in a city with batman and they fight.

In order:

Banner gets knock-out darted before he turns into Hulk
    Iron Man's suit gets hacked real quick
    Vision gets EMP'd reeeeal quick
    Thor gets Batwing'd into a building and then glued down with polymer
    B Wids and H-Eye get knocked the f out
    Cap's a fight but Batman wins
    Honestly if they fought him one on one it would be a fairer fight because he wouldn't be able to use the city against them as effectively; that ninja training is gonna be a b*tch for the rough and tumble MCU Avengers. Honestly I like Cap as a character more than I like Batman, I like Iron Man more too.

Superman fighting the Avengers is just...not a fight. There's no tactical element to it. He just punches all of them once.

-Superman: He might have to punch Thor two or three times, or the Hulk five or six, but essentially this is correct.

Superman would have to punch thor and hulk a lot more than this

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    the thing about Superman fighting the Hulk is that if he's not taken out quickly, the Hulk will only get stronger as the fight goes on

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Max Landis reaches his final form of Nerd on The Internet:
    My opinion on this stems not from my love of preference of individual characters, but rather for how the characters work best. The Avengers work best when vulnerable; Batman works best when he's written as a domineering and intense force of nature.

I think they'd stand a better chance in Round 2, but Round 1 goes like this. Okay, so let's say The Avengers appear in a city with batman and they fight.

In order:

Banner gets knock-out darted before he turns into Hulk
    Iron Man's suit gets hacked real quick
    Vision gets EMP'd reeeeal quick
    Thor gets Batwing'd into a building and then glued down with polymer
    B Wids and H-Eye get knocked the f out
    Cap's a fight but Batman wins
    Honestly if they fought him one on one it would be a fairer fight because he wouldn't be able to use the city against them as effectively; that ninja training is gonna be a b*tch for the rough and tumble MCU Avengers. Honestly I like Cap as a character more than I like Batman, I like Iron Man more too.

Superman fighting the Avengers is just...not a fight. There's no tactical element to it. He just punches all of them once.

-Superman: He might have to punch Thor two or three times, or the Hulk five or six, but essentially this is correct.

Superman would have to punch thor and hulk a lot more than this

Which Superman are we talking about, actually? I'm not clear if Landis is referring to DCCU characters here (since nobody has really seen DCCU Batman in action)

Certain comicbook versions of Superman would totally run roughshod over the MCU versions of characters.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    This feels like Landis read the Deathstroke-takes-everyone-out scene in Identity Crisis and decided it was the coolest thing ever.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    thor is essentially superman strong and he's also magic, it's like fighting captain marvel, which is also hard for superman.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hulk would be easier for superman to fight because he can essentially rocket him into the sun but if they're just punching each other it would be rough.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like Landis' Batman solution sort of works if he is taking on each of the Avengers one at a time

Like, if he has two days to slowly break all of Tony's encryptions

And Natasha isn't standing by with an epinephrine shot when Banner gets darted

And he's just fighting hand to hand with Cap, Nat, and Clint one at a time, rather than all three at once

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    DCAU "world of cardboard" Superman would probably not have to punch MCU Thor very many times. The Hulk fight might resemble the AoU Hulkbuster fight, except Hulk would actually straight up lose.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »
    thor is essentially superman strong and he's also magic, it's like fighting captain marvel, which is also hard for superman.

Yeah I feel like Thor's lightning bolts would do some serious fucking damage to Supes

• Options
    Does MCU Thor's lightning count as magic? :biggrin:

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    DCAU "world of cardboard" Superman would probably not have to punch MCU Thor very many times. The Hulk fight might resemble the AoU Hulkbuster fight, except Hulk would actually straight up lose.

The longer that fight goes on the more it will resemble Man of Steel, so I'd argue that Superman still loses.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

The longer that fight goes on the more it will resemble Man of Steel, so I'd argue that Superman still loses.

Man, that'd make even less since given Hulk can't even fly like Zod could, so Superman would have an even easier time getting him to an area where he wouldn't cause damage.

• Options

Man, that'd make even less since given Hulk can't even fly like Zod could, so Superman would have an even easier time getting him to an area where he wouldn't cause damage.

That was the whole point of the Hulkbuster fight, and it didn't work incredibly well.

• Options

That was the whole point of the Hulkbuster fight, and it didn't work incredibly well.

Yeah, but that was Iron Man in an oversized suit. I'm pretty sure Superman would be a little more effective there.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah the Hulkbuster fight was basically just Tony desperately throwing himself at Hulk in an attempt to mitigate the damage.

Superman would definitely have a lot more control over the encounter.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

No it's science, didn't you watch the movie?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

No it's science, didn't you watch the movie?

Technically he says science and magic are one in the same in Asgard; which means it might count as magic.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Well, whatever the method for generating the lightning, the question would be whether the lightning itself counts as any different than a random lightning strike.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Well, whatever the method for generating the lightning, the question would be whether the lightning itself counts as any different than a random lightning strike.

It would affect Superman like regular lightning would a normal person.

He's not weak to magic (like, say, Pokémon type weaknesses), he just doesn't have resistance to it

• Options
    oh no

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

He's not weak to magic (like, say, Pokémon type weaknesses), he just doesn't have resistance to it

Well that's the question - if it's magic being used to create regular lightning, it'd affect Superman as much as regular lightning would (ie not at all because he's Superman). If the lightning itself is magic then yeah

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I feel like Landis' Batman solution sort of works if he is taking on each of the Avengers one at a time

And he's just fighting hand to hand with Cap, Nat, and Clint one at a time, rather than all three at once

Isolating and targeting one at a time is more his thing, I feel. Don't let them get a warning out to the others.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Isolating and targeting one at a time is more his thing, I feel. Don't let them get a warning out to the others.

We need more context for the setup.

Why are the Avengers in the same place as Batman? Why does Batman want to take them down. Do the Avengers want to take Batman down as well? How long are the Avengers there for? Does Batman even have the time and opportunity to learn their weaknesses in the first place? Why are the Avengers not able to learn Batman's weaknesses and take HIM down?

• Options

While it is

I don't think it would work against a team unit that is used to working together and frequently interacts with itself

Especially given that some of the things he's trying to do could potentially take a good deal of time

Like, yeah, if Banner just up and disappears one day nobody is going to bat an eye at this point

But if you wake up one morning and don't have at least five emails from Tony Stark

You know that something is severely wrong

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Also, there was a planned scene for the first Avengers movie where Hawkeye takes down Iron Man with a special arrow that messed up his armor.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Was wondering what caused a bunch of overnight posts

I think I would have preferred it be some big dumb argument

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Was wondering what caused a bunch of overnight posts

I think I would have preferred it be some big dumb argument

This is like the definition of dumb superhero arguments

• Options

We need more context for the setup.

Why are the Avengers in the same place as Batman? Why does Batman want to take them down. Do the Avengers want to take Batman down as well? How long are the Avengers there for? Does Batman even have the time and opportunity to learn their weaknesses in the first place? Why are the Avengers not able to learn Batman's weaknesses and take HIM down?

Who's writing it? How horrible is the dialog? How badly drawn are the costumes?

I don't care about who would win in a Batman vs Avengers fight. I would be super interested in a Batman Vs Avengers framed like the twelve labors of Heracles.

• Options
    edited September 2015

While it is

I don't think it would work against a team unit that is used to working together and frequently interacts with itself

Especially given that some of the things he's trying to do could potentially take a good deal of time

Like, yeah, if Banner just up and disappears one day nobody is going to bat an eye at this point

But if you wake up one morning and don't have at least five emails from Tony Stark

You know that something is severely wrong

The Avengers clearly have plenty of downtime where they're not hanging out, though. Tony and Steve are the only ones with high enough public profiles to merit alarm, which really just means you order them appropriately.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    what the fuck is nth metal

• Options
    ryven wrote: »

magic

• Options

It's what the Thanagarians use to make their weapons and armor

• Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    whys it give them the ability to fly, and do whatever the hell it does as deathstrokes armor haha

• Options
    Also, there was a planned scene for the first Avengers movie where Hawkeye takes down Iron Man with a special arrow that messed up his armor.

850948-hawkeye.jpg

• Options
    whys it give them the ability to fly, and do whatever the hell it does as deathstrokes armor haha

it has the ability to negate gravity

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay but we've been on this topic for like a page and a half now so I'll say it.

Could Superman snap Hulk's neck?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Keith wrote: »

Well that's the question - if it's magic being used to create regular lightning, it'd affect Superman as much as regular lightning would (ie not at all because he's Superman). If the lightning itself is magic then yeah

I dunno, I seem to recall that Superman is fairly vulnerable to electrocution. Happened all the time on the animated series at least.

This discussion has been closed.