Options

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Vessels is pretty excellent so far, I like that the band is trying to work within that melodic death genre and make slight twists on its conventions rather than succumb to them. I liked the second Be'lakor album the best, but this might surpass it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I think Warp Riders is the best album by The Sword. That one has grown on me a bit, and I also still listen to the first two albums occasionally. Their output since then...I'll have to listen again. Wasn't their latest album like a mellowed out rock & roll style similar to the direction Baroness went in?

From what little Ive heard of the album, their single on the radio and its just fuzzed out stoner rock and not particularly interesting.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Watching a few videos for Beyond Creation, these guys seem legit. Anyone have any info/thoughts about them?

They're playing a concert here in July but I have other commitments :(:(

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Watching a few videos for Beyond Creation, these guys seem legit. Anyone have any info/thoughts about them?

They're playing a concert here in July but I have other commitments :(:(

They are among my favorite tech-death crews to come along in the last few years. Their album The Aura has been in my normal listening rotation since it hit, and I don't see it leaving any time soon. While I find the follow-up Earthborn Evolution a little more uneven and not as consistently full of win, it's still a damn fine slice of metal with the title track, Theatrical Delirium, and Fundamental Process being the biggest stand-outs.

If you like your death-growls backed up by hypnotically impressive instrumental work with a heavy jazz influence, I'd say try and see them if you can.

Also, their frontman Simon Girard is a beast that growls a good game, while also playing lead lines on an 8-string.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Well if I miss them, Sumac and Tribulation are both coming to down in the next months. I've heard Tribulation are great live.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Got some of my Mercyful Fate/King Diamond order. One of them was an Amazon warehouse deal and noted that it wasn't in its original case. I didn't expect it to be packaged like this, though:
    olt9fgb2dttp.jpg

mf.jpg 124.7K
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    That is, huh, wow

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I have plenty of extra CD cases to fit this in, but I'm kind of sad I don't get the back of the CD notes/tracklisting stuff.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Just gonna leave this here for those who I haven't already convinced to give Be'lakor a listen:

https://youtu.be/ARI0XyTiips

• Options
    edited June 2016
    After eight years, there is a new Gloomy Grim album :twisted:

Love the atmospheric production, it's a patient album but huge sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PklpcK3dqNY

autothrall on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Sup fellow metalheads. I am in the delightful position of having to buy some new headphones and have pretty much decided on getting some V-Moda M100s. The bonus to their seemingly excellent sound for all things headbangy is that it I can get the earcups laser engraved with a logo of my choice! The proviso is that it can't be too detailed (no details smaller thatn ~0.2mm). I was pondering if there's any sweet-as-fook album covers anyone could think of that would fit the bill nicely? Something that would work well in only two tones, so probably a black and white cover in a sort of etched style?

Campy on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Sup fellow metalheads. I am in the delightful position of having to buy some new headphones and have pretty much decided on getting some V-Moda M100s. The bonus to their seemingly excellent sound for all things headbangy is that it I can get the earcups laser engraved with a logo of my choice! The proviso is that it can't be too detailed (no details smaller thatn ~0.2mm). I was pondering if there's any sweet-as-fook album covers anyone could think of that would fit the bill nicely? Something that would work well in only two tones, so probably a black and white cover in a sort of etched style?

I wonder if they could pull off something like this with the line work and the hands being empty space:

61lA3tioHDL._SS500.jpg

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I wonder if they could pull off something like this with the line work and the hands being empty space:

61lA3tioHDL._SS500.jpg

Reminds me of Lift Your Skinny Fists...

That's really cool, though, what is it from?

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Man, that is spot on to what I wanted!

Though if anyone else has any cool ideas then keep em coming!

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I saw all the posts about Nails in here, and I was like "whatever, I guess I will check that out some time. I'll get to it eventually."

WHY DIDN'T YOU ALL TELL ME IT WAS LIKE THIS?

They're like an alternate reality Anaal Nathrakh in which AN got obsessed with late 80's hardcore instead of industrial. It rules.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Not sure if you guys saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeLJUNUCGQ

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I take 2 things away from that vid, their drummer has great taste with the Candlemass shirt, and they truly are the musical equivalent of a punch in face, in the best possible way.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I take 2 things away from that vid, their drummer has great taste with the Candlemass shirt, and they truly are the musical equivalent of a punch in face, in the best possible way.

Also, big fingers are not an excuse for me not to be able to play guitar anymore, because their guitvox dude is a brick shithouse with sausage fingers and hes tearing up that fretboard.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Here are my June metal picks before I forget...running a little light this month but not by much. No, Gojira didn't make it for me, sadly, the reasons for which I'll write about in my review later this weekend. If I repeated any from the previous month just let me know, my list is screwed up.

Be'lakor Vessels (probably will be the melo-death record of the year, and they'll deserve it if so)
    Death Angel The Evil Divide (thrash veterans still making good, this album kicks the new Anthrax right upside the nards)
    Katatonia The Fall of Hearts (so touching to touch oneself to)
    Light of the Morning Star Cemetery Glow (cool approach to Gothic metal, I think this is the guy from Vasaeleth)
    Paradox Pangea (Teutonic power/thrash gods still kicking serious ass)
    Rage The Devil Strikes Again (one of their better albums of the 21st century, especially if you dug Unity)
    Vanhelgd Temple of Phobos (excellent new album, old school Euro death metal with small flourishes of orchestration, probably my favorite of this whole batch)

The Vision Bleak The Unknown (great German Gothic metal based on classic horror/monster flicks, they've always been good, can't think of a bad album out of them)
    Enjoy the violence.

autothrall on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    desc wrote: »

61lA3tioHDL._SS500.jpg

Reminds me of Lift Your Skinny Fists...

That's really cool, though, what is it from?

Drawn by Chris Koelle for a band called Ritual, album is "solo andata"

Check out this limited edition of 1 box set:

http://chriskoelle.com/solo-andata-ritual

So stylish

desc on
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    I like this year, its been a good one so far

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    today I learned there's a new Def Leppard album they released last year

today I was reminded there's no real reason to listen to anything by Def Leppard post-Pyromania

• Options
    edited June 2016
    There really isn't. Hysteria was catchy for about a week. After that? Flatline.

autothrall on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    say what you will about Metallica selling out for $$$ but jesus christ did Def Leppard ever lose the plot

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I don't think it was selling out so much as just going in a more pop direction. A lot of bands have done it for a multitude of reasons. But yeah, they definitely seemed to have run out of ideas. I like most of Hysteria, and they pretty much get better the further back you go. I still think On Through the Night is my favorite of theirs. Def Leppard was the band that brought me into music when I was 7, and I was a huge fan of theirs up until I started getting into Metallica when the black album came out.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    I'll admit to being quite into a lot of the singles from Hysteria, title track included. But yeah, it's not great after that album. They were a gateway band for me, too—my mom picked High n' Dry out of a sale bin at HMV for me when I was 14 :) it's still my favourite of theirs.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    My gateway song was "Wherever I May Roam".

Man, it was just over. I wore out the black album cassette like 3 times.

Also, "My Friend of Misery" was both my inspiration for playing bass and my realization on that something called a bass guitar even existed.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Fuck this summer, nothing but work and no fun stuff scheduled... but! That will be totally redeemed at the end of august, when Kowloon Walled City and Minsk makes a visit in our corner of the outback! And almost more importantly, local heroes Blessings make a long awaited return! Apparently they even have some sort of new studio effort in the works too, which I have high expectations for. :) I know they had an absolute killer song, that wasn't on the Bittervatten tape, when I saw them one-two years ago. Would love to be able to listen to it again...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrGZGCcEv0

• Options
    Went to the local used CD shop with a metal section this weekend and stumbled across Rob Halford's 2wo album. Almost bought it, but there was a live show going on in there and the cashier didn't look particularly interested in conducting transactions, and I figured it'd be better to give it a listen first. I remember hearing about it when the album came out, but never really looked into it because I didn't really care about Judas Priest or Rob Halford at the time.

Interesting to hear his take on the genre, which sounds a lot like Stabbing Westward to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOEvoRM0gMU

• Options
    I can forgive Fight and 2wo because at least he came to his senses for the three solo Halford albums (of originals). Too bad the last three Priest records weren't that good :(

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I can forgive Fight and 2wo because at least he came to his senses for the three solo Halford albums (of originals). Too bad the last three Priest records weren't that good :(

They've got another new one coming soon. Hopefully this one will have more than 3 good songs.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Playing Saints Row 2 for the first time has temporarily reminded me that 3 Inches of Blood existed and was very briefly (very briefly) one of my favorite metal bands. I'm not mentioning this because I'm proud of it, but because I legitimately forgot they existed and, judging by the fact that they disbanded last year, I wasn't alone. I always figured they would shed the metalcore bullshit and make a decent go of it but I guess not.

• Options
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Playing Saints Row 2 for the first time has temporarily reminded me that 3 Inches of Blood existed and was very briefly (very briefly) one of my favorite metal bands. I'm not mentioning this because I'm proud of it, but because I legitimately forgot they existed and, judging by the fact that they disbanded last year, I wasn't alone. I always figured they would shed the metalcore bullshit and make a decent go of it but I guess not.

My first and only exposure to them was in Brütal Legend. Wasn't a fan. I don't even remember what they sounded like.

• Options
    I still like Deadly Sinners.

• Options
    I have now acquired my entire haul of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond CDs. I didn't realize how different early Mercyful Fate would sound from his solo stuff. He uses his falsetto a little less compared to the King Diamond albums that I bought.

I'm still trying to get used to his falsetto, but I genuinely like some of the songs after repeated listens. "At the Graves" is pretty cool and all over the place. "A Mansion in Darkness" is another highlight, as is "Black Horsemen."

I've got a 9-hour road trip ahead of me next week, and we'll be bringing most of these albums with us.

• Options
    True, although there are some MF albums which are more similar in vocals to KD, and some which are less alike. The main distinction for me is the difference in how the guitarists play, how LaRocque/Diamond handle the guitars differently than Denner/Shermann, both involve a mix of trad/speed metal and groovier atmospheric stuff, but approach them in different ways.

Glad you're giving them a chance!

• Options
    So I popped in the newest Celldweller because Im a sucker for industrial-like stuff.

Its... actually not too bad, but I think my love for them (or just him, since Klayton is an egomaniac) in my younger days has all but vanished. I will say, if someone has some suggestions for modern industrial metal aside from Fear Factory, Im more than willing to give it a listen.

I need something nasty, heavy as fuck.

Does that even exist anymore?

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50BBzjk7KDE

Fuck yes Karl Willetts! (Along with, you know, Andy Whale, Frank Healy, and Scott Fairfax because holy shit!)

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.