Options

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Anyone know the band Pyrexia? The band name sounds familiar, but I don't think I'd ever heard them before. Looks like a former vocalist of theirs is in trouble for murdering three guys a few days ago. Apparently he's one of those nutty Sovereign Citizen types. I don't really follow metal news sites too often, so I only found out about it via JJ McNabb on twitter, who monitors extremist right wing types:

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I recognize this guy! (He was in my thrash band).
    SteevL wrote: »
    Anyone know the band Pyrexia? The band name sounds familiar, but I don't think I'd ever heard them before. Looks like a former vocalist of theirs is in trouble for murdering three guys a few days ago.

I heard this, yeah he was a doomsday prepper and shot some guys near his property.

Not the first time one of the band's vocalists has been in trouble, either, from what I remember, though this is on a whole new level.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I've recently discoved Jeromes Dream and become fascinated by them, an old band that apparently in retrospect has been very highly regarded in the early screamo scene?
    The tightly packed chaos in the beginning of this one for example, unfurling into a menacing groove. :) Def. getting some major power(emo)violence vibes...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Fr6qH6t-U
    /.../ singer Jeff Smith opted not to use a microphone while performing live, instead screaming unamplified at the top of his lungs. The band was known for playing very short sets, usually no longer than 10 minutes. According to Smith, they thought 10 minutes was all they needed to get their point across.
    That he was. Hot. As. Fuck. doesn't make things worse. :redface:

Panda4You on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Hehe, it's nice seeing Dälek being album of the month in Terrorizer the same day I try dragging them into this very-much-not-hiphop thread :lol:
    Terrorizer actually brought both Dälek and Cannibal Ox to my attention, many years ago...

Cannibal Ox is fantastic. Well The Cold Vein is. I actually forgot they put out a new one after all these years and haven't heard it yet. We have a few hip-hop heads in the thread fwiw.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    It wasn't a bad record, but kinda middling... certainly light years from the Indepence Day-laser out of space that was Iron Galaxy. :(

Panda4You on
  • Options
    That second used CD store was a bust (aside from a Peter Gabriel CD), so I placed an order with Amazon today:
    Mercyful Fate:
    Melissa/The Beginning
    Don't Break the Oath

King Diamond:
    Fatal Portrait
    Abigail
    Them
    Conspiracy

Also ordered Rotting Christ's Rituals and preordered Witherscape's The Northern Sanctuary.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    All good picks on the KD front. I hope you enjoy them.

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    You did yourself a favor by not ordering The Eye.

Nothing like saving the best for last 8-)

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    You did yourself a favor by not ordering The Eye.

Nothing like saving the best for last 8-)

Hmmmmmmmmmm :/

• Options
    edited June 2016
    That second used CD store was a bust (aside from a Peter Gabriel CD), so I placed an order with Amazon today:
    Mercyful Fate:
    Melissa/The Beginning
    Don't Break the Oath

King Diamond:
    Fatal Portrait
    Abigail
    Them
    Conspiracy

If I had ever received this amount of quality music in a single order, I would probably have spontaneously disintegrated in joy. I had to wait years for each of them. Drooling. But don't let the onrush of excellence disenchant you.

Also, what Futt said.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    If I had ever received this amount of quality music in a single order, I would probably have spontaneously disintegrated in joy. I had to wait years for each of them. Drooling. But don't let the onrush of excellence disenchant you.

Closest I came to a haul like that was back in high school. I was lurking around the mall and found Melissa, Fatal Portrait, Spiritual Healing, Slowly We Rot, Cause of Death, and Seven Churches in the used bin at FYE. I drained my bank account of all my part time cashier money to buy them. To this day they all find regular rotation in my car.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Yeah, I figured I'd just stick with the stuff from the 1980s for now. We already own Mercyful Fate's In the Shadows, but I've barely listened to it. Coincidentally, that album contains the first song I'd ever heard by them, "Egypt". In 1993 I was still pretty new to metal. MTV's Headbanger's Ball was one of the easiest way for me to hear stuff I hadn't heard before. Riki Rachtman sure seemed excited to interview King Diamond on that show, and the interview went well enough to make me interested in the music. As I said a few weeks ago, though, I could not handle his vocals when they kicked in.

Hopefully I can enjoy these albums as much as all of you have. :)

• Options
    I really love In the Shadows, it has an interesting groove to it, very much worthy of its predecessors and in fact it's my second favorite Fate record.

I hope you enjoy these albums too, man! You'll get used to the vocals, just pretend you're listening to the bastard offspring of Elvira and the singer of Yes.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    King's vocals took some getting used to, but I've grown to love them, and lately I've really come to appreciate how he changes his singing to play different characters. Very theatrical.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    King's vocals took some getting used to, but I've grown to love them, and lately I've really come to appreciate how he changes his singing to play different characters. Very theatrical.

Yeah, just imagine you're listening to this super cool theater nerd who has a perfect blend of srs bisness and tongue in cheek, who by all accounts is a genuinely nice guy and who loves what he does.

Because you are.

That's what made his vocals click for me.

• Options
    Solefald live at Hellfest 2016:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2xuMCymmbM

I love how they apparently commissioned an artist to draw their logo live onstage.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    been rocking the solstafir lately then surprise it sounds like their drummer had a bunch of problems and shit was pretty pear-shaped behind the scenes

now my head canon, filled with happiness and rainbows and groovy tunes, has been shaken apart

that happened with nightwish a few times

happened to skeletonwitch recently, too, though chance garnett was apparently a fucking nightmare

there are too many examples to list in one post

put people on the road together for a long enough time and it seems like shit often goes haywire eventually

• Options
    been rocking the solstafir lately then surprise it sounds like their drummer had a bunch of problems and shit was pretty pear-shaped behind the scenes

now my head canon, filled with happiness and rainbows and groovy tunes, has been shaken apart

Yeah, the stuff going down with Solstafir's drummer is unfortunate. The rest of the band has said little about the situation, but the drummer has been posting and reposting the same links to his blog via what was formerly the official twitter account of the band:

I still look forward to whatever the band puts out in the future.

• Options
    Man, I gave The Eye a listen tonight and I just... cannot abide seeing it held up above Abigail as the superior KD work. There are a couple songs in the back half that I cannot recall unless I'm listening to it at that moment, and I think Abigail is just a stronger work throughout.

Still, two of my favourite songs come from each album ("The Family Ghost" and "Burn"), and it's not like The Eye is bad. It's just... I'd give it an 8.5-9/10 compared to Abigail's 10.

• Options
    The Eye is pure bliss for me, front to back. Love the last 3-4 songs. "Insanity", "Imprisonment", "The Curse", love 'em all.

That said, it is certainly not a common choice for best King Diamond album, due to the airier, calmer sound with all the organs and such; that honor usually goes to one of the first four. I think Abigail is perfect too, but there's just a slight twinge of atmosphere and nostalgia that puts The Eye above it for me.

Not sure how I feel about the new Gojira album. There are 3-4 songs I dig, but some kind of 'meh' tunes mixed in there, and the instrumentals were quite weak compared to the amazing one on the prior album.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Closest I came to a haul like that was back in high school. I was lurking around the mall and found Melissa, Fatal Portrait, Spiritual Healing, Slowly We Rot, Cause of Death, and Seven Churches in the used bin at FYE. I drained my bank account of all my part time cashier money to buy them. To this day they all find regular rotation in my car.

Is there any metal you can love as much as used CD metal purchased with limited teenager money

I don't even own a tape player anymore and I still have an In the Nightside Eclipse cassette that I bought as a tot at a store's going out of business sale

• Options
    Found the Headbanger's Ball interview that first exposed me to King Diamond/Mercyful Fate:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqv0cbl76bE

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Holy cow this new Nails

My face is gone now I think

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Bloody disgusting is streaming Be'lakor's Vessels.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/music/3395413/belakor-shines-vessels-exclusive/

edit: The final track titled "The Smoke of Many Fires" is really fucking good. One of the best melodeath songs I've heard.

Also, found out last minute Poison the Well is playing Toronto tomorrow night. I feel like I'm 19 again listening to them. Should I go?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Opeth just announced a tour with The Sword:

I think I remember hearing a song or two by The Sword years ago and coming away thoroughly unimpressed, but I could be mixing them up with someone else.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

I think I remember hearing a song or two by The Sword years ago and coming away thoroughly unimpressed, but I could be mixing them up with someone else.

"Sorceress World Tour"

*List of only US dates*

"... Eh?"

• Options

Old Sword was awesome. Had a 70s vibe to it.

Here's an example:
    https://youtu.be/m9KbmRTgigQ

Their new stuff is just stoner rock and is rather boring. Also, I think the singer's a bit of a diva.

I got tickets to the Toronto show though to see Opeth!

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Look what came in the mail!

Oops, had a hard time posting from the phone.

Here we go:
    fy5xwpi7mkhg.jpg

ik61tff71kc8.jpg

Dissociater on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

The most metal thing of all.

NOOOTHIIIIIING!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Oops, had a hard time posting from the phone.

Here we go:
    fy5xwpi7mkhg.jpg

ik61tff71kc8.jpg

Sexy vinyl is sexy.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Well, this is definitely a tour of some sort:

http://loudwire.com/trapt-saliva-alien-ant-farm-more-make-america-rock-again-tour/

I was hopeful that most of those bands had broken up.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I liked Alien Ant Farm.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Old Sword was awesome. Had a 70s vibe to it.

Here's an example:
    https://youtu.be/m9KbmRTgigQ

Their new stuff is just stoner rock and is rather boring. Also, I think the singer's a bit of a diva.

I got tickets to the Toronto show though to see Opeth!

I really dug the first few albums, up to Warp Riders.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I liked Alien Ant Farm.
    For a shitty mainstream rock band, they actually had two or three good songs!

Edit: Ahahaha holy shit! Motherfucking Crazytown!?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0FAC4UyJ4
    *thread rolls for CON save or takes 10d10 necrotic damage*

Edit2: Are they making a point with that godawful tour name, btw?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Jesus, I found this vinyl rip of an old Jeromes Dream EP and the bass kick on this thing is so much more pronounced than the cd version! :(
    The sound on this thing is like x2 better than the plastic versions, it's shame they'd gone and fuck up the sound on the cds that much!
    Compare the song I posted near the top of the page with the version on this, 09:50! :mad:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXmySJ6punI

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    I really liked Of Breath & Bone but this new Be'lakor is even better.

• Options
    I think Warp Riders is the best album by The Sword. That one has grown on me a bit, and I also still listen to the first two albums occasionally. Their output since then...I'll have to listen again. Wasn't their latest album like a mellowed out rock & roll style similar to the direction Baroness went in?

• Options
    Music on the new Denner/Shermann album is phenomenal, the vocals just overdo it with too much 'try hard' and it splashes all over that :(

I'm talking Ripper Owens levels of 'try hard' here.

• Options
    autothrall wrote: »
    Music on the new Denner/Shermann album is phenomenal, the vocals just overdo it with too much 'try hard' and it splashes all over that :(

I'm talking Ripper Owens levels of 'try hard' here.

That's how I felt about them on the first EP. Will give it a listen later.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I really liked Of Breath & Bone but this new Be'lakor is even better.

Vessels is really really good. I've listened to it a lot now, sounds wonderful on vinyl too.

Dissociater on
This discussion has been closed.