As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    If I could give that look every day...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Fucking hell

1st gym session back last night

My legs are....struggling.

Damn you goblet squats

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Please don't post my picture without permission @tynic

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Next time some douche doesn't want you to carry something, benchpress them.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    No, nobody knows about my toe here. I assume it's just the general assumption of a lack of capability. Because of the vagina. And the elephant seal problem.

Bleh.

ooohhhhh

yeah, that's different. and also lame =(

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I have been trying to be better about not just eating a bunch of sugary things for my carb sources

*munches on unflavored oats*

poo
  • Options
    Dumb question about working out

The last week, I've really been struggling with my weights. By the end, I can barely lift them even though two weeks ago I could do the sets with relative ease. I've been doing weights every other day for about a month or possibly 5 weeks now and this last week is killing me

No change in routine or diet

I've lost about 7 lbs in the last 5 weeks

I drink plenty of water

I can't figure out why all of a sudden I can barely manage

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm not at all an expert, but I've found things that tend to make me, personally, struggle are: what I ate that day, whether I'm tired during the workout, if I'm just not "feeling it", or spontaneous self-consciousness for whatever reason. Perhaps step back the weight you're lifting by a couple of pounds to get through your reps, then try again your next lifting day? Are you taking any pre-workout stuff? Could be you're just taking one that doesn't work for you, or you could try using it if you haven't been.

• Options
    I hadn't thought of any of that. What is pre workout stuff?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Losing 7lbs could leave you a little weaker. Are you sleeping well? There's a lot of things it could be, including One Of Those Things.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I hadn't thought of any of that. What is pre workout stuff?

This is what I use. It's basically like an energy drink with some magic bodybuilding whats-its.

(Again, I'm not an expert)

Please consult your physician before taking magic bodybuilding whats-its.

godmode on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    No joke that I have struggles with inversions and balances when I'm about to have or having my period or when I'm having sinus problems.

That first probably isn't your problem but all sorts of stuff can muck with your bod.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Losing 7lbs could leave you a little weaker. Are you sleeping well? There's a lot of things it could be, including One Of Those Things.

I can't remember the last time I slept well =P

I don't use any energy or protein things either. I've cut down to 2 cups of coffee in the mornings, rarely a soda (maybe 2 a week), and the occasional glass of milk. Other than that, it's all water.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I can't remember the last time I slept well =P

Bingo

• Options
    Ugh. Sleep. Whither goest thou. I feel like I'm still not clicked in to this timezone.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    aahhh hmmmmm

well, I guess benedryl for me tonight

• Options
    I went to the doctor with a number of complaints and he said "how much sleep are you getting" and I said "about two hours a night" and he said "yeah ok let's do that one first"

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    How the fuck do you even function on 2 hours a night?

• Options
    Not brilliantly.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Karl wrote: »
    How the fuck do you even function on 2 hours a night?

Not very well! I get about four hours of continuous sleep out of six or seven laying in bed. That's on a good night, after several days of getting a solid two hours and finally crashing.

Most nights I wake up at least once an hour.

And I take medicines thst have the side effects of drowsiness and then take sleeping pills too.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    2 hours good god

i can barely function without being in constant agony (stomach pain / digestive problems, joint pain, head fog) on anything less than 6
    and even 6 is me not feeling good

i am really bad at sleeping though, it's very hit or miss, and i cannot sleep in

e.g. last night i wanted to get a good nights sleep and managed to sleep by around 10:30 but woke up at 4am and had trouble sleeping again (alarm set for 7am)

bah if i could get good sleep i'd be so much better as a human

poo
  • Options
    I could definitely benefit from more sleep

The days after the days when I crash, and I'm super exhausted, those days I feel so good

But the other nights, when I'm not exhausted, I just lay in bed second guessing myself until I eventually zone out enough to sleep

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I often oversleep. Like 10 hours or more.

Also my medicine isn't working as well and it's becoming really hard to get back on the diet horse as it were. I can do it, but it doesn't seem as easy as it was in April.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    You guys should check out mindfulness, I only really dabble with it, but it definitely helps me get to sleep some nights.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I sometime practice basic breathing techniques to help me get over anxiety attacks.

I should look into more stuff like that for when my mind is racing like it was last night.

Also

14485077_10154899267343676_2559300034222914959_n.jpg?oh=9277d1a36718b392da2a99c765658bf6&oe=58743AE8

Man, I gotta try harder to remember the crazy amount of weight I lost this summer.

But also to remind myself it isn't always going to go as fast as that but it's still worth the effort.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    The quality of my sleep improved quite a bit when I starting taking zma.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I sometime practice basic breathing techniques to help me get over anxiety attacks.

I should look into more stuff like that for when my mind is racing like it was last night.

Also

14485077_10154899267343676_2559300034222914959_n.jpg?oh=9277d1a36718b392da2a99c765658bf6&oe=58743AE8

Man, I gotta try harder to remember the crazy amount of weight I lost this summer.

But also to remind myself it isn't always going to go as fast as that but it's still worth the effort.

dude, that's incredible!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This LA heatwave killed my sleep schedule this week. Weights have been a lot tougher, but the run I went on last night was surprisingly smooth.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm still working out despite a full roster of science classes with labs. Helps keep me sane really. I've hit the point where really my workouts are part of my life routine. And that was not the case +5 years ago. So if you're struggling in the beginning to stick to training, just keep at it. Eventually it just becomes habit.

• Options
    ZMA gives me super vivid, wacky dreams and doesn't always help me stay asleep, so sometimes (like today) I wake up at 4am absolutely convinced someone is dead and I have to check Facebook for reassurance.
    At least if this person is dead, no one has posted about it yet, so that's a little comforting.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Been really regular with my exercise this month, working in a lot more cardio too. I started doing the elliptical because when I do too much running I get bad shin splints. Replacing some running days with elliptical has kept the shin splints at bay, allowing me to stay more regular with cardio.

Anyway my bp last month was high 130s, sometimes 140. Today it was 111/77, with a resting heart rate of 58.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I'm hot trash at sleeping soundly. I used to get insomnia that kept me from falling asleep until like four in the morning. Yoga and sleep hygiene helped me there. But now I can't STAY asleep for the life of me. I finally saw a doctor for the anxiety and restlessness (basically what Shaz describes) but I don't know how they approach brain medicine here in Singapore so I'm rationing
    the pills they gave me.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    After two days of sleeping pills I feel greeeeeeaaaaaaat so I would honestly recommend anyone who hasn't bitten the bullet and gone to the doctor tries it.

My one change so far: I got told to take them an hour in advance and take them two hours. That leaves me with less hangover.

• Options
    I need to get back in the exercise mood.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    ZMA gives me super vivid, wacky dreams and doesn't always help me stay asleep, so sometimes (like today) I wake up at 4am absolutely convinced someone is dead and I have to check Facebook for reassurance.
    At least if this person is dead, no one has posted about it yet, so that's a little comforting.
    I've never really remembered dreams, but since I've started taking zma I do.

The other night I had a dream where I was discussing my amazon prime movie watching habits with someone.

My dreams are dull as shit.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So I just signed up for a Pumpkin Spice themed 15k (a friend is doing it).
    There's also a yoga event at a brewery that I had previously signed up for.

I'm pretty sure this makes me an official white girl, right?

• Options
    When I was at my old job I had a dream that I could fly through the air like a bird. Being a good citizen, I didn't let this development stop me from contributing to society, and the first place I flew to was the office. When my boss came in I said "I learned to fly! To fly like a bird, through the air, unhindered by gravity!" and she said "this job really doesn't require you to fly"

I was like damn subconscious that's a little on the nose

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So I just signed up for a Pumpkin Spice themed 15k (a friend is doing it).
    There's also a yoga event at a brewery that I had previously signed up for.

I'm pretty sure this makes me an official white girl, right?

Once you have purchased the uniform:
    eg8t6Hs.jpg

• Options
    white girls dress like han solo

• Options
    HEY now

...that may be true but if I ever dress like Han Solo it is 100% deliberate

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.