Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Anyone got any exercises they would recommend for strengthening ankles?

How is the problem manifesting? I've never heard of an ankle strength issue, but ankle mobility problems are a thing.

I'm probably phrasing it wrong, basically when I run my ankles hurt with the impact sometimes. Its lessening as I run more regularly, but I didn't know if there was anything I could do to help my ankles feel better? If that makes any sense!

Also my obstacle race is in less than a month, I've been doing abs and legs and arms exercises, and I kinda like it! Feels good man.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Become colossal Liiya. It is imperative.

• Options
    I'm not gonna become colossal, but I like the idea of being able to do some of the new exercises without dying, and being strong and fit in that sense. Might need to upgrade my hand-me-down 0.5kg hand weights though...

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna become colossal, but I like the idea of being able to do some of the new exercises without dying, and being strong and fit in that sense. Might need to upgrade my hand-me-down 0.5kg hand weights though...

For your running shoes it might be worth seeking out a running shop that does custom fitting and making sure your shoes and insoles work with your stride.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    My feet aren't too today. I bought some half length insoles with firm arch support. I wore them for a few hours while shopping yesterday.

My feet weren't too painful yesterday before trying the insoles.

I'm hopeful they will continue to heal. And, since they're feeling better, I'm thinking about fitness again.

I'd like to try the One-Punch Man workout.

Z1CSn94.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GOD0N6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_V0S3xb5C66XM4

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Gonna restart keto tomorrow and continue muay thai on tuesday. I had great success with those last year, before job obligations forced me to drop all hobbies for a good 6 months.

• Options
    100 push ups
    100 sit ups
    100 squats
    10k run

Yeah, it's a good goal, I don't know about doing that every day though, I'm not a superhero.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This is a pretty good review of the OPM training method. Again, you have to keep your fitness goals in mind.

If your goal is to benchpress a truck, it's not going to be great. If your goal is to lose weight and get some tone, it's going to be fine. The only thing to keep in mind is that 10km running everyday isn't ideal. You need to have some longer runs and shorter runs mixed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2iICRLVkfY

• Options
    I'm not gonna become colossal

What will it take to get you to believe in yourself

• Options
    Yeah, I would like to improve my fitness and pick up some definition if I can.

• Options

I don't want to be colossal - stop trying to make me into your image!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    100 push ups
    100 sit ups
    100 squats
    10k run

Yeah, it's a good goal, I don't know about doing that every day though, I'm not a superhero.

I can't pull off the bald look so it's best I don't try that workout.
    Also I fucking love air conditioning.

godmode on
  • Options

I don't want to be colossal

I don't... understand...?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It's amazing watching someone encounter a world view so alien from their own.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Ran the longest long run of my training this morning in the rain. Just a little over 20 miles. Legs are tired. Shoes got so waterlogged that one of my insoles kept trying to fold upward into the arch of my foot.

Upside: next three weeks constantly taper down.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Singapore is destroying my exercise life.

I am trying to do yoga 5 days a week like I'm used to but I've got Bozo the Furry Clown immediately up in my business when I do any balances or inversions in the living room. And I just don't feel that I'm practicing as thoroughly or as safely at home as I would with an instructor. Then I got a gross-ass ingrown toenail so I couldn't run for the last eight days.

Good news is the toenail's clearing up-ish and I found a thing that seems to be like ClassPass here in Singapore that I'll try out as soon as I'm not broke-as-a-joke. So like in two weeks.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I've still procrastinated on going to a doctor about my knee
    I desperately need to do that before snowboard season

Oh well operation all chest no legs continues

poo
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I took a week off last week because I was totally exhausted (well, not completely off but only a couple of 5km runs, no long ones). The plan is to get back on the distance wagon tonight. It's amazing how fast my motivation for long runs goes down after even just a few days off.

• Options
    These insoles seem to be working! And a bit of standing on my toes type stretching in the morning.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

I don't want to be colossal - stop trying to make me into your image!

All I wanna do, is see you turn into, a giant woman
    (a giant woman)

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    MalReynolds is a Speed Racer alt confirmed.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I took a week off last week because I was totally exhausted (well, not completely off but only a couple of 5km runs, no long ones). The plan is to get back on the distance wagon tonight. It's amazing how fast my motivation for long runs goes down after even just a few days off.

Update: my work computer is about five seconds away from permanently shitting itself and expiring in a puff of smoke so I'm not getting home until at least 9.30. I will ...consider a run. Maybe.

• Options
    My feet are feeling better
    I rode 10k on my bike today

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    205 this morning!

20 lbs to go!

or 15 or 25

Whatever it takes to get rid of this sloppy gut

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Neat. Part of my new job's benefits is a year with some site that gives you personalized weight loss training/assistance/gear.

They also do a $25 monthly reimbursement fee for any gym, as long as you go 7 times a week and record it.

EDIT: A month, not a week

Kyougu on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    7 times a week is a lot!

Campy on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Welp got on a scale yesterday and uuh shit. At least half it is muscle, I can tell that much at least but way too much is fat. Back on the cardio train it is.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    7 times a week is a lot!

Haha, I meant a month, which is more reasonable.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    PAX threw me off my rhythm, so I've been a lot more sedentary than I should be.

Three times at the gym this week and today I think I hit my wall, but the -good- kind of wall, where I feel great and just, you know, can't lift my arms above my waist.

Now it's dark by 7:30, though, so I need to go and buy some lights or reflective bands so I can keep running at night.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    7 times a week is a lot!

Haha, I meant a month, which is more reasonable.

Ah nice, even my lazy butt can manage that.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I was raiding on tuesday night, finished at midnight, and wasn't tired.

So I went for a walk/jog outside.

I came across a skunk. I was maybe five feet away from it by the time I noticed it, and it noticed me (it was around the other side of a recycling bin).
    Dead stop. Back away slowly, because I'm pretty sure I was within skunk spray range.
    Happily did not get sprayed, and got back home and to be by 2.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

I came across a skunk. I was maybe five feet away from it by the time I noticed it, and it noticed me (it was around the other side of a recycling bin).
    Dead stop. Back away slowly, because I'm pretty sure I was within skunk spray range.

Did you ask him if he knew me

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Psykoma wrote: »

Did you ask him if he knew me

Yeah he said you would buy his mom's perfume for office pranks.

So um, don't get on Tube's bad side.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    I read that as "he says he buys your mom's perfume for office pranks" and was like damn skunk that's a hell of a burn

• Options
    Just so you know I've already used that one so good job

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a sick burn.

I've almost given up on restoring a decent workout routine before month's end. Effed up toe is okay, but now I've got a face plague. I really dislike cutting myself slack because I feel like it instantly turns into "never exercise again."

Also I know this is crazy to complain about, but the guys in the office here are driving me up the wall with carrying things for me/offering to lift stuff? It's like it personally offends them or they're worried I'm going to collapse from carrying a piece of server equipment. I'm sure it's just a politeness or cultural thing, but I'm used to being one of the Workout Crew in our Austin office. Here, this afternoon, a guy in the kitchenette/lounge area asked me if his darts were too heavy and worried that my arm was tired. I'm like bro those are darts. :bigfrown:

So anyway now I'm convinced I've turned into a sea elephant woman and that's why everyone is trying to prevent me from standing on furniture or lifting boxes.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I just wanna stand on some furniture, guys! Why you got to be that way.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    maybe because your toe was busted and they don't want it to get worse?

that would be my guess!

• Options
    No, nobody knows about my toe here. I assume it's just the general assumption of a lack of capability. Because of the vagina. And the elephant seal problem.

Bleh.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    No, nobody knows about my toe here. I assume it's just the general assumption of a lack of capability. Because of the vagina. And the elephant seal problem.

Bleh.
    well next time you do that, you just give 'em a look.

6fd9aa285ec69c016818a7af335007b2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.