Options

[chat] live

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Heidegger’s readings of Hölderlin are central to his later thought, but the difficulties of both the poetry and the thought make it a great challenge to translate these texts... Heidegger’s goal is to think about Hölderlin’s poetry without reducing it to prose or pseudophilosophy... a crucial task if great poetry is not just a flimsy aesthetic diversion but language at its most intense and genuine; the poet’s mission is to found a people’s relation to being by withstanding the divine lightning and bringing it into words...

Heidegger [considers] “The Rhine,” where Hölderlin’s aim is to limn “the beyng of the demigods” (223). (The archaic spelling “beyng” translates Heidegger’s less archaic Seyn, a spelling still used by Hölderlin.) Demigods, existing between gods and humans, are riven and unified by an “intimacy,” or harmony of opposites. There are similarities here to Heraclitus and Hegel, but according to Heidegger, Hölderlin develops an understanding of “beyng” all his own that stands outside the metaphysical tradition and points to the possible new “commencement” (Anfang) of a history that will decide the arrival or flight of the divine.

Heidegger sums up the beyng of the demigods in a diagram:

diagram.jpg

:rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

@Apothe0sis
    Well, that seems perfectly clear and sensible.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    anything looks logical if you draw arrows

sharks -> awesome

can't argue with that bitches

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Space Sanders is a huge union supporter.

Yes but he's also looking to improve employment law directly.

yes indeed, but it takes both and more

there is no realistic path for labor rights that doesn't involve engaging with unions, there just isn't

Sure.

But I don't think we have a 'unions first' path ahead of us any more.

The republicans won that battle. Unions in america are a shambling corpse.

Trying to re-form a healthy union system is silly when you can make the change you want directly through legislature.

If the unions somehow have problems with statutory protection for workers than fuck them.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    BUSH SMOKED MARIJUANA!!!!!!!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Listen I don't want to cause any trouble but I don't know how comfortable I am having some hippy pothead holding the [chat]-making powers

I have something to tell you about the previous [chat].

You may want to sit down for this.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

there is no realistic path for labor rights that doesn't involve engaging with unions, there just isn't

Sure.

Trying to re-form a healthy union system is silly when you can make the change you want directly through legislature.

If the unions somehow have problems with statutory protection for workers than fuck them.

i don't believe in unions first, either

but trying to change laws first doesnot work either because you can't compete with the mechanisms arrayed against it.

I agree with Space that Bernie is on the right path to engage both and get people informed and involved.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Heidegger’s readings of Hölderlin are central to his later thought, but the difficulties of both the poetry and the thought make it a great challenge to translate these texts... Heidegger’s goal is to think about Hölderlin’s poetry without reducing it to prose or pseudophilosophy... a crucial task if great poetry is not just a flimsy aesthetic diversion but language at its most intense and genuine; the poet’s mission is to found a people’s relation to being by withstanding the divine lightning and bringing it into words...

Heidegger [considers] “The Rhine,” where Hölderlin’s aim is to limn “the beyng of the demigods” (223). (The archaic spelling “beyng” translates Heidegger’s less archaic Seyn, a spelling still used by Hölderlin.) Demigods, existing between gods and humans, are riven and unified by an “intimacy,” or harmony of opposites. There are similarities here to Heraclitus and Hegel, but according to Heidegger, Hölderlin develops an understanding of “beyng” all his own that stands outside the metaphysical tradition and points to the possible new “commencement” (Anfang) of a history that will decide the arrival or flight of the divine.

diagram.jpg

~Apothe0sis
    Well, that seems perfectly clear and sensible.
    time is a flat circle

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Listen I don't want to cause any trouble but I don't know how comfortable I am having some hippy pothead holding the [chat]-making powers

I have something to tell you about the previous [chat].

You may want to sit down for this.

Dammit TLDR you know I don't believe in sitting!

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    anything looks logical if you draw arrows

sharks -> awesome

can't argue with that bitches

timecubeflierimg.gif

well, I'm convinced

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    r.i.p. timecube

you live on in our hearts and cubes

edit: I was misinformed! timecube lives!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So as far as I can tell, every Republican candidate with the sole exception of Rand Paul plans to wage war if elected.

So Republicans (who aren't Paul supporters) apparently want another war.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Fun fact, time cube guy got his doctorate and launched a successful line of soaps.

• Options
    Fun fact, time cube guy got his doctorate and launched a successful line of soaps.

I want a wedding cake baked and covered in Cubic doctrine. A rotating cube as a cake topper.

• Options

Sure.

i don't believe in unions first, either

but trying to change laws first doesnot work either because you can't compete with the mechanisms arrayed against it.

I agree with Space that Bernie is on the right path to engage both and get people informed and involved.

If we could get a liberal congress it'd be a cakewalk. It'd be far easier than healthcare!

Employment law is ripe for the picking.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    So as far as I can tell, every Republican candidate with the sole exception of Rand Paul plans to wage war if elected.

Which country do the Republican candidates want to invade and occupy?

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

was his doctorate in... soaps?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Iran

because of course

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gonmun shoudnt you be in bed for your walmart trek

Wife was picking the kiddo's brain tonight actually and he, surprisingly enough, said that he still wants to buy his own Xbox One with money he makes from working part time. Figured it was better to let him have that as we want to try and impress upon him the want to save for something. Besides, it's not like there's a shortage on stuff he wants for Christmas as it is.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

Iran

because of course

Of course.

• Options
    It Is The Absolute Verifiable Truth & Proven Fact
    That Your Belly-Button Signature Ties
    To Viviparous Mama.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    This was a really nice evening. G'night, [chat].

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

diagram.jpg

Apothe0sis

I am reminded of Anne Carson's essays where she attempts to meticulously diagram eros

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Did anyone ever get sent to the future in Star Trek? Would that be too meta?

Archer went to the 26th century once and the 31st once too

There was also that TNG episode with Picard being in 3 timelines, but that was just his consciousness, not sure if it counts.
    The marine biologist in IV

If we're not restricted to main cast, then the 21st inventor that stole the timemachine in TNG

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

so far syria, iran, iraq, north korea, russia, and i think possibly france

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    A lot of it is posturing of course, because these candidates have to please their Israeli overlords.

But there are several who I really don't trust to not seek out a war if elected.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Good night cB!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I like Eddy's thread. It is a good thread.

My mind has largely been revolving around misclassification as well as if it would be somehow magically possible to get NYC to pass a bill allowing ICs to collectively bargain, all preemption and antitrust aside

If I could solve that latter conundrum I would feel masturbatorily vindicated

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

was his doctorate in... soaps?

Bronner-label.jpg

• Options
    Uh that's not the time cube guy

• Options
    The American disdain for the French is vastly overstated and overplayed.

Both nations citizens view the people of the other nation favorably, by very wide margins. They were our very first ally as a country, and unless you count our participation of the overthrow of Vichy (and trust me, the French don't), we haven't been in conflict in well over a hundred years.

It's not even a thing, here or there.

And hell we both produce rude tourists so we can always share that with the world.

• Options
    Uh that's not the time cube guy

How dare you

• Options
    (I was poking fun at their similar nonsensical writing styles)

• Options
    I see.

You must forgive me.

I am educated stupid.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The American disdain for the French is vastly overstated and overplayed.

Both nations citizens view the people of the other nation favorably, by very wide margins. They were our very first ally as a country, and unless you count our participation of the overthrow of Vichy (and trust me, the French don't), we haven't been in conflict in well over a hundred years.

It's not even a thing, here or there.

And hell we both produce rude tourists so we can always share that with the world.
    Nobody was even rude to me when I was in Paris, and I didn't speak a single word of French!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Did anyone ever get sent to the future in Star Trek? Would that be too meta?

Archer went to the 26th century once and the 31st once too

There was also that TNG episode with Picard being in 3 timelines, but that was just his consciousness, not sure if it counts.

Hey, that wasn't just a TNG episode, that was the awesome series finale.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hi.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Key isn't a true antipathy for the French but instead they are easy to make jokes about. Plus our 20th century pivot back towards England and Anglophone society is part of it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I tried to watch the Republican debate but I just couldn't--not because I disagree with them (though of course I do), but just because I find the "grown adults shoving each other around in a dog and pony show" element to be unbearably excruciating to watch

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    i have a real question for chat

what has allying with Israel actually done for us? I understand that having an ally in the Middle East is certainly in the USA's interests, but at this point I kind of feel like it was a short-sighted effort to solidify gains that has ultimately cost us more than we've gained?

Also bejamin netanyahu's behavior is noisome and gross

Orphane on
This discussion has been closed.