Options

Bad News Gone Right v2 - take this bread and eat it, for OMG WE JUST BROKE THE LHC

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Five Nights at Barney's...

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    To me the best part of that story is that she is going to get to relive this moment a thousand times. 20 years from now she could be a world renowned doctor or whatever and the first time anyone meets her friends or her family it'll be "Has Darby[wtf?] told you about the time she got stuck in a Barney head? Firefighters had to cut her out of it"

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For the firefighters, it was a much-needed respite from the types of calls they usually have to deal with. "That's a first for me and it will probably be the last, but at least I know how to handle it if it happens again,'' Bruno said. "It's something we'll talk about for years to come."

This line just makes me remember The Simpsons where Homer gets caught in the vending machines.

"Dear Mrs. Shannon, while we were rescuing your daughter, a lumber yard burned down."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Bunch of pussies. A Montrealer would have thrown their bodies between the doors in like half of those.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Bunch of pussies. A Montrealer would have thrown their bodies between the doors in like half of those.

It's a video collection of a string of people who really actually just wanted to be late to work. Fuck that 8:45 meeting.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    London turns statue built for 2012 Olympics into world's largest tunnel slide
    The Orbit was originally built for the London 2012 Olympic Games, but has now been turned into one of the longest and tallest tunnel slides in the world.
    The slide takes riders around 40 seconds to reach the bottom, reaching speeds of up to 15 mph as the slide loops its way around the sculpture 12 times.
    It's made up of 30 separate sections including a tight corkscrew section known as the "bettfeder", which is German for bedspring.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Bad news. Terrifying robot dog thing is working the uncanny valley hard. The fucking servos make it sound like it's panting as it walks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng

Gone right. Still falls for the classic banana skin slip gag.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bad news. Terrifying robot dog thing is working the uncanny valley hard. The fucking servos make it sound like it's panting as it walks!

Looks like banana farmers are going to be among the first up against the wall when the robot revolution comes.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Looks like banana farmers are going to be among the first up against the wall when the robot revolution comes.

Joke is on us, bananas already dying off.

I'll save the idea that the robutts are the actual cause of this issue for the conspiracy thread.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/ywtvJyXDWkk

Obama formally announces the Stonewall National Monument.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Oh, joy. I can hardly wait to see the shit on my facebook from the NObama crowd.
    Can't pick your family, can choose who to ignore though, and I'm guessing I'll have a few more to check off before the weekend's done.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Oh, joy. I can hardly wait to see the shit on my facebook from the NObama crowd.
    Can't pick your family, can choose who to ignore though, and I'm guessing I'll have a few more to check off before the weekend's done.

You can absolutely pick your family.

you just cant pick you who are genetically related too.

• Options
    Filed under "cruel and unusual", man kidnaps bee, forces it to watch Bee Movie.

• Options
    And filed under "Why Elections Matter", Pentagon to end ban on transgender troops July 1.

Good on them.

• Options
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    That is hilarious, adorable.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Makes sense though. They usually need to eat whilst floating on their backs keeping their head and food out of the water.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    That looks like an American River Otter in which case it doesn't float on its back it eats on shore.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Bad news gone right from my life today:

Stopped at the Mexican grocery by my house for lunch because they have the best AND cheapest tacos in town. After, I back out of my parking spot. I'm about to shift into drive when I realize a company van of some kind has started backing up and is about to hit the side of my car. I honk, he slams his brakes right as he hits me. Totally his fault, but honestly I don't care, shit happens. We both pull back into our spots. I get out and walk over to make sure they're OK. It's two guys I'd seen in the taqueria earlier. I ask if they're OK, and the way they respond makes it clear they don't really speak any English.

We look over our vehicles. No visible damage to mine (a tiny scratch, but it's so small that I'm not even sure it's new or if I just haven't noticed it before). There's a crack in the corner of their rear bumper. The driver looks at me, opens his mouth, and it's obvious he's trying to compose a sentence he feels confident in -- been there, second languages are a bitch.

He closes his mouth again. Looks at his partner. They both look at the bumper. They look at each other and I can see them trying to figure out how much that crack actually matters.

Finally, the driver just extends his hand without a word, and we shake on it. Nothing happened here. And as we shake hands, he says what is, in context, the most beautiful and hilarious thing I've ever heard, because it was obvious we were up against the borders of his English vocabulary:
    "Fuck it. Monday."

WACriminal on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    In a double-whammy, chef doesn't eat duck, and someone from New Jersey is helpful.

Chef saves ducklings for 5th course from rooftop

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    We're at 100 pages so I guess this thread is closing soon. Some would say that's bad news gone right. We did get some nice stories in here though.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Good news everyone! Someone's invented a chatbot lawyer that appeals parking tickets
    An artificial-intelligence lawyer chatbot has successfully contested 160,000 parking tickets across London and New York for free, showing that chatbots can actually be useful.

Dubbed as “the world’s first robot lawyer” by its 19-year-old creator, London-born second-year Stanford University student Joshua Browder, DoNotPay helps users contest parking tickets in an easy to use chat-like interface.

The program first works out whether an appeal is possible through a series of simple questions, such as were there clearly visible parking signs, and then guides users through the appeals process.

The results speak for themselves. In the 21 months since the free service was launched in London and now New York, Browder says DoNotPay has taken on 250,000 cases and won 160,000, giving it a success rate of 64% appealing over $4m of parking tickets.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    SCIENCE!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Somewhere out there a lawyer is pissed because they thought that they were above the risk of automation.

• Options
    Somewhere out there a lawyer is pissed because they thought that they were above the risk of automation.

And somewhere else out there, there's a veritable army of lawyers putting together legislation to make this illegal, or at least very, very difficult.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nancy Grace's show comes to an end.

Hopefully this means I never have to listen to her again. The way she'd happily misrepresent legal concepts for ratings made my blood boil.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    And somewhere else out there, there's a veritable army of lawyers putting together legislation to make this illegal, or at least very, very difficult.

TImeline
    2017 Lawyers try to enact law to prevent chatbot lawyers

2018 Chatbot lawyer forms a lobby group to protect itself using a young man named John Conner to fight on it's behalf

2024 As a result of Conner's impassioned pleas Lawyers are forced to live in the sky in a network of cargo planes

2030 This Network in the sky( or Worksky) builds it's own lawyer robot The Litigator to go back in time and properly advise John Conner's father in an injury law suit
    thus Conner will be super rich and not care about the plight of the common man

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Come vit me if you vant an avard for damages."

• Options
    "I'll be back after this five minute recess..."

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If I remember right lawyers are already in trouble from automation because they've been replacing junior lawyers and paralegals with machines, meaning in a decade or two there is going to be a severe dearth of skilled lawyers because the current ones care more about quick profit than raising the next generation.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Hasn't Robosigning already caused huge legal issues?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Robo signing was a misnomer, more or less. It wasn't a robot arm signing off on all those forclosures.

There were automated processes involved, to be sure. But the decision to give the law the bird was still a human one.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Robo signing was a misnomer, more or less. It wasn't a robot arm signing off on all those forclosures.

There were automated processes involved, to be sure. But the decision to give the law the bird was still a human one.
    If I remember right the banks found some retired judge in S. Florida and paid him a king's ransom to rubber-stamp foreclosure forms. Some of them were for people who were paid up on their mortgage or not even with the bank. No gone right with this one either, since the white-collar crooks responsible aren't rotting in Florence ADX for the rest of their lives. No one was even arrested.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

If I remember right the banks found some retired judge in S. Florida and paid him a king's ransom to rubber-stamp foreclosure forms. Some of them were for people who were paid up on their mortgage or not even with the bank. No gone right with this one either, since the white-collar crooks responsible aren't rotting in Florence ADX for the rest of their lives. No one was even arrested.

Except for that one couple with the famous lawsuit who won, Bank of America wouldn't pay, so they took everything at the local branch office.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Except for that one couple with the famous lawsuit who won, Bank of America wouldn't pay, so they took everything at the local branch office.

They were going to, but the bank manager cut them a check immediately.

It's horseshit the amount of effort the homeowners had to go through, but it's still a delightful story.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Hopefully this means I never have to listen to her again. The way she'd happily misrepresent legal concepts for ratings made my blood boil.

Oh don't worry, we've always got "Judge" Jeanine.

agupn6sziyx2.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Oh don't worry, we've always got "Judge" Jeanine.

agupn6sziyx2.jpg

I'll see your Jeanine and raise you a Sarah.

http://www.people.com/article/sarah-palin-tv-judge-show

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    If I remember right lawyers are already in trouble from automation because they've been replacing junior lawyers and paralegals with machines, meaning in a decade or two there is going to be a severe dearth of skilled lawyers because the current ones care more about quick profit than raising the next generation.

I'm given to understand that law schools have... proliferated in the last decade, and that's done damage to the job market for lawyers as well? Either way - we need lawyers to keep things working.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.