As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No, YOU La Mog! [Magic: the Gathering] Thread to praise Taramoor because

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    What the fuck is "flip it or rip it"?

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I went 0-3 in a draft!

I only won a single game (in the 0-2 match)!

I should never spend a dime of money on this stupid fucking game!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Sorrow.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    PSA: don't play Flip it or Rip It in BFZ.

Uwlc6pH.jpg

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Who does that.

Why.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    flip it or rip it is one of those things that is so infuriatingly stupid to me mostly out of how pointless it is

like, why

if you want something fun to do with prize on the spot do pack wars or something

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

As I understand it you take a pack, shuffle it face down, then alternate flipping over a card and ripping a card. I think the quote with that picture was something like "flip it or rip it is a terrible, terrible, terrible game that should never be played."

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    One guy did it with older packs at a GP in order to advertise his blog

The idea is that he offers to split a pack with a random person, free of cost to said person. They each take turns picking cards from a shuffled, face down pack.

The only catch is that if the rando picks the rare, they will get to keep the pack.

Of course, the cards that the pack provider picks are all ripped without looking at them. He does not inform the other person of this before they start picking cards.

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It seems straight up dumb if you're thinking of it in terms of playing the game by yourself but I can see why that one blogger guy did it how he did.

How much is a ripped godless shrine worth anyway. I could use one of those on the cheap.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    A fatpack is 3 drafts!

Well this is untrue.

At least as I far as I know, stores don't let you bring your own product. Sure if you have a bunch of friends who have their own product, then you can draft.

But a fat pack does not really let you draft as is.

general policy is you can bring your own product, but you give it to the store and they give you new packs

I have never in my life been to a draft where I could use my own product

It used to be more common than it has become.

Drafts in Australia cost $20, so there used to be plenty of people who would bring their own packs for entry.
    Cube is too subjective for me. The last time I played it was at a Denny's right after my first draft. The other players were all for the most part judges and I had no idea how most of the cards worked at the time.

At one point I passed a show and tell and a mox diamond for a gadog tegg because I liked the art

Cube is rough to start out, particularly if you haven't played for an extended period of time so that you can recognise synergies or interactions with cards on the fly.

I honestly haven't done a proper Cube draft in a year or so, we almost always just do Sealed these days since it's not always easy to get 8 people together.

Plus sealed is really fun. And Solomon drafting is great fun if you only have two people, but requires a lot more knowledge of cards so you can split accurately/smartly and quickly.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I still need to pick up the flip Liliana, Jace and Nissa for my Cube, but $$$. New Gideon too.

I've been playing around/adding support for some of the colours in my Cube and it's made it a lot more open, particularly Boros tokens (which I've played both times we've done it recently) and blue artifact/devotion.

Ironically despite putting together a sweet Boros token deck it doesn't matter what sort of nut draw I hit it ain't beating the following deck one of the other guys put together.

Turn 1: Island, Mox Diamond, Bitterblossom.
    Turn 2: Island, Skullclamp
    Turn 3: Swamp, Thopter Spy Network.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On stories, at least sometimes they try with Chandra. The Kheral Keep story was actually decent.

Jace is a walking self-insert though. Like a Bella Swan for nerds. So it makes sense that he's as underdeveloped as possible, besides delivering the sick burns that the writers put for him.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    On stories, at least sometimes they try with Chandra. The Kheral Keep story was actually decent.

Jace is a walking self-insert though. Like a Bella Swan for nerds. So it makes sense that he's as underdeveloped as possible, besides delivering the sick burns that the writers put for him.

His Memento story with the Sphinx was kinda neat. Not you know, good, but neat.

I need to get more fetch lands before they all go up a zillion dollars.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Yea like. Pack-busting method of choice for me when not interested in drafts (and able to find someone who won't give me shit over it) is pack poker. Open pack, remove land, shuffle face-down. Each player draws for their turn starting with 0 cards. Infinite mana, X can be 3 or less, activated abilities can be used up to 3 times in a turn.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

It doesn't help that counterspells are the designated zone for "sick burn" flavor text, and Jace is the only blue walker they've had for like... ever. They really need to shift to a different mono-blue walker for a bit just for variety, as well as the ability to develop an actual character.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I really wish Wizards would print a silver-bordered or over/under-size self-contained cube. I would love to Cube on the reg., but god damn, does keeping $$$ in cards on me when I'm broke just seem dumb. Does the reserve list cover non-legal cards? Could they print a silver-bordered Ancestral or one stamped with "not legal for sanctioned play"?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Jace is a poor man's Teferi. In the arena of sick burns.

Ilpala on
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's pretty unlikely that WotC will print a self-contained cube product (Conspiracy has some similarities), because part of the purpose of a cube is to be able to play limited without buying sealed product. It doesn't make a lot of business sense to undercut casual limited play by printing an official cube that people buy once, even if those cards weren't tournament legal.

In a pinch you can always make a proxy or part-proxy cube - mine is mostly genuine and I like picking up real cards for it when possible, but I've got proxied ABUR duels and a few overpriced singles (Clique, Goblin Guide) because they make the cube run smoothly. There are a ton of powered cubes out there, and I imagine very few of them contain real power cards.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

If you want sick burns by a blue mage, the only real option is Ertai.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    blue mages are nerds who should be stuffed in lockers

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »

If you want sick burns by a blue mage, the only real option is Ertai.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=25614&type=card

oh shit look at those arms, ERTAI IS ULAMOG

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    New sealed procedure at competitive events: players now open and verify the contents of their own pool (with the opposite player as a witness), then register the pool of the opposite player, then receive their original pool and build their deck from those cards. No more feel bads for opening the money pool and having to pass it.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    New sealed procedure at competitive events: players now open and verify the contents of their own pool, then register the pool of the player sitting opposite them, then receive their original pool and build their deck from those cards. No more feel bads for opening the money pool and having to pass it.

Oh thank goodness this is way better

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Wait that's not for drafting is it

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    This is for sealed deck.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Okay that makes much more sense. I forgot that was a format for events besides prerelease. Thank you

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Massdrop has loose boosters of bfz up in lots of nine. It makes me wonder how easy it would be to weigh out packs for the foils.

• Options
    For what it's worth, stuff i've gotten from Massdrop has always been good even if they're a little slow to ship.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    blue mages are nerds who should be stuffed in lockers

says the scapeshift player...

• Options
    in my defense cryptic command is the most fun card i've ever cast

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean let's face it, every counterspell flavour text should be stuffed in a locker

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    "myee heeh heeh, i COUNTERED your spell, i hope you weren't RELYING on that myee hee hee"

no i wasn't you dumbfuck i know you're playing countermagic and i sequenced accordingly, here's sarkhan now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i mean let's face it, every counterspell flavour text should be stuffed in a locker
    fCQAYo8.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2015
    in my defense cryptic command is the most fun card i've ever cast

like. do you know how many tron players i've made really sad by tapping down their team after they land emrakul and take their extra turn? do you know how many tears it's caused??

The Betgirl on
  • Options
    how much do you prize being in a locker

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    this is why Dragonlord Dromoka is the best lady ever

especially now that Downfall is out. Control decks aren't running much removal that can take her down, so she gets you more than half a turn of no-countering.

• Options
    "myee heeh heeh, i COUNTERED your spell, i hope you weren't RELYING on that myee hee hee"

no i wasn't you dumbfuck i know you're playing countermagic and i sequenced accordingly, here's sarkhan now

how do you feel about pyroblast

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Kilroy wrote: »

how do you feel about pyroblast

i don't play in bad formats

e: also it's one of those situations where they forever lost a name to a card it shouldn't be on

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oh man, the Dragon's Mouth is such a shit title.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    speaking of bad formats, I can't wait until magic streamers go back to playing something other than legacy cube

• Options
    Oh man, the Dragon's Mouth is such a shit title.

Better than the Dragon's Dick

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.