As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Is an accompanying one screen sub-level permitted? (Pipes)

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Nope, no pipes.

Edit: Clarified in the rules post.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DemuristDemurist Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Super Mario Maker Challenge #20

Size Doesn't Matter

I don't know if this has been done before, if it has, let me know and I'll come up with another one. I did a quick search but it didn't show me many of the challenges.

Rules: Level must be the smallest allowable width between the start and finish. No subarea (i.e. No pipes).

Deadline: End of the day March 27th

They say limitations stimulate creativity. We've done "My first day", so now let's go with limits on space. Feel free to use available vertical space and doors to create sections, but let's see how much fun you can have in the smallest space possible. Go for speed runs, or crowded areas, or just for fun.

Awesome! I love making these! I'm in.

sig.jpg
  • Options
    OK, now that I'm home I see how small it allows stages to be. How about it can be as wide as one screen of the game pad. So you have to be able to see both the start and finish edges on the screen of the game pad without scrolling.

Would that be more reasonable?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    We've done one before with a limit of something like 3 screens (using the grid).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think one screen is fine, go with that.

If you feel like its just not going to be enough, add a sub zone, but I like the idea of one screen (its actually a very popular category of level, one screen puzzles)

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Here is my entry!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/844C-0000-01FF-2ED7

Sidestep Pincers until they drill through the floor. Not the hardest, but I liked the idea.

etlx18nzm9oj.jpg

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    I should be able to get in an entry for this one.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else but it looks like the last update now sends you a notification if anyone beats one of your world records.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Super Mario Maker Challenge #20

Size Doesn't Matter

I don't know if this has been done before, if it has, let me know and I'll come up with another one. I did a quick search but it didn't show me many of the challenges.

Rules: Level must be the smallest allowable width between the start and finish. No subarea (i.e. No pipes).
    Edit: as wide as one screen of the game pad. So you have to be able to see both the start and finish edges on the screen of the game pad without scrolling.

Deadline: End of the day March 27th

They say limitations stimulate creativity. We've done "My first day", so now let's go with limits on space. Feel free to use available vertical space and doors to create sections, but let's see how much fun you can have in the smallest space possible. Go for speed runs, or crowded areas, or just for fun.
    One Screen Scramble - 302C-0000-0202-40AB
    302C-0000-0202-40AB.jpg
    https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/302C-0000-0202-40AB

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @TelMarine : that looks like the best entry yet!

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    You guys are some sadistic creators. :-D

But so far so good, it's been fun/frustrating beating those levels. Set WR on two of them, but definitely dropped the clear rate percentage a bit.

Edit: Ha! WR on all three!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/844C-0000-01FF-2ED7

Sidestep Pincers until they drill through the floor. Not the hardest, but I liked the idea.

etlx18nzm9oj.jpg

This one gave me the least amount of trouble. Avoiding pincers is a Mario staple. I liked the method of desyncing them.

Djiem wrote: »

This one was fun. Either you put a lot of work into the timing or the fastest route is a happy coincidence.

TelMarine wrote: »

This either takes perfect timing or I'm missing something obvious. Even when I finished it I felt like it was luck rather than skill.

cravipat on
  • Options
    cravipat wrote: »

This either takes perfect timing or I'm missing something obvious. Even when I finished it I felt like it was luck rather than skill.

@cravipat Where are you having trouble? My assumption is most people would have trouble with the very beginning where the Wiggler is. A duck jump off the Wiggler will allow you to clear the spikes.

• Options
    The wiggler. I'll have to try the duck jump. I was doing a running spin jump. I'd hit my head on the ceiling bump so I'd be coming down on the wiggler. Depending on where it was in that area I'd A) clear the spikes easily and launch all the way to the fire bar B) hit the spike if he was too far forward C) hit the wiggler if he was too far back. I'd say 90% of it was usually B or C/

It was better than my initial approach of waiting for the wiggler to come out far enough to jump past him. Not enough time for that.

• Options
    edited March 2016

@cravipat Where are you having trouble? My assumption is most people would have trouble with the very beginning where the Wiggler is. A duck jump off the Wiggler will allow you to clear the spikes.

That ()*!)(#)(%&$)*()@(!!! wiggler and spike section....

I used a spin to extend my jump so when I bounced off the wiggler I was beyond the spikes.

This one was fun. Either you put a lot of work into the timing or the fastest route is a happy coincidence.

You beat my WR. I'm guessing you were able to do what I could not, as I usually hit one of the blades on the way down so I had to wait at least once for it to pass.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Without the duck jump, the Wiggler part is way harder. It's doable without it (as you guys have proven), but so much more difficult.

• Options
    I wish you could record and replay runs to YouTube like Mario Kart.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

You beat my WR. I'm guessing you were able to do what I could not, as I usually hit one of the blades on the way down so I had to wait at least once for it to pass.

When you are about even with the top track, jump. You can grab the key and fall through the top two blades which are the trickiest to get past going down with just climbing. You can't fall all the way down but you can cut off a good section of time.

• Options
    I wish you could record and replay runs to YouTube like Mario Kart.

IF they were ever able to add this, it would break this game completely wide open for me.

Even just locally saved replays if online space was an issue. I am sure players could figure out a way to share them if an official one wasn't given.

• Options
  • Options
    Sounds like fun. Bookmarked!

See my profile here!
  • Options
    So my 2 year old (almost 3 at this point) has been playing this a lot lately. He actually started showing signs of getting some control over the game. I had made a super easy level for him that gave him infinite chances to do some jumps. He eventually beat it, but was always trying to play random levels online and getting frusterated. If anyone has seen my uploads lately, there is a gibberish named level put up there. That is another level I had made for my daughter (but somehow he figured out how to upload it, and beat it, without me even noticing).

So I just made a level for him now, that has a little bit of progressing enemies. He can't really push the run button, so when he gets a flower he was never able to shoot. He DID know how to spin, and since it was SMW, that shoots fireballs. He quickly figured out he could stop before every enemy and spin jump. It was REALLY cool to just watch him figure this all out and beat the level on his own. Kids not even 3 yet.

• Options
    For science!

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Finished my entry for the SMMC.

Two Parter - SMMC #20

The first half is a big puzzle, while the optional second half is more of an action challenge.

I really liked this challenge. I was constantly tweaking my ideas all week. The last quarter of the level I'm still not completely happy with but I figured I wouldn't have time tomorrow to make any more changes.

• Options
    DemuristDemurist Registered User regular
    Between my new job and a cracked screen on my Gamepad, I was unable to complete a satisfactory level for this challenge. Could I submit a level I made previously? It meets the criteria.

sig.jpg
  • Options
    Demurist wrote: »
    Between my new job and a cracked screen on my Gamepad, I was unable to complete a satisfactory level for this challenge. Could I submit a level I made previously? It meets the criteria.

I don't mind. Hoping to play those newer entries tonight or tomorrow and then will pick a winner.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Oh I missed the cut, oh well. I almost had something done but my kid kept wanting the game when I would load it up.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Oh I missed the cut, oh well. I almost had something done but my kid kept wanting the game when I would load it up.

Finish it up anyway! They're fun to play.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I only realized after uploading my level that the second half could be finished differently that I intended. It didn't completely trivialize the level but it did same some back tracking. Leave it to @TelMarine to find it.

Solution spoilers
    I'm guessing you used the green shell to take out the yellow block and drop the launcher instead of using the p-switch.

• Options
    I only realized after uploading my level that the second half could be finished differently that I intended. It didn't completely trivialize the level but it did same some back tracking. Leave it to @TelMarine to find it.

Solution spoilers
    I'm guessing you used the green shell to take out the yellow block and drop the launcher instead of using the p-switch.

I recommend a checkpoint for the second part as well. Doing the optional part only to die and do the puzzle again is a bit annoying especially as the launcher can be finicky and shoot the fireball right in your face when you jump to lower it, if you time it wrong.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I think I went through everyone's levels, but I do not remember that Crav. I made sure to get the best times at least :hydra:

I like the new feature that lets you know when someone beats your world record. So now if I can set them on random courses I can maintain them easily. Maybe someday I will be at the top of the list of people with world records. I should have over 50 by now.

My current level I was going to use as an entry is pretty meh overall. The idea I had wasn't coming together all that well. I thought I could put something together for a single screen easily, but I don't seem to be very good at it.

Back when I first started making levels, I had the vision of making a 4 level "world" that was an ongoing thing in a water level. Like the third SMMC was water themed and I finished the first one for that. I JUST started work on the second one, which likely is going to be the most complicated one anyway. I think if I can push through getting that done maybe I can get the whole world finished so it can be played as planned. The idea was that I would make it in such a way that the challenge was balanced around actually getting and using lives. Since if you put 4 levels in a row and choose to play them as a world, it does maintain your lives stock which makes death not only matter, but collecting extra lives and coins matter too. This way I could actually create levels with incentive to find secrets because you might need those lives later.

• Options

Solution spoilers

I recommend a checkpoint for the second part as well. Doing the optional part only to die and do the puzzle again is a bit annoying especially as the launcher can be finicky and shoot the fireball right in your face when you jump to lower it, if you time it wrong.

Now I'm completely confused. There is a checkpoint. If you finish the lower screen puzzle you can go through the goal when the bar is up to get the checkpoint and a door to the upper screen puzzle.

How are you tackling the lower screen? That screen has a red herring on it that isn't needed for the puzzle but I guess could make things frustrating if you thought you needed it.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Solution spoilers

Now I'm completely confused. There is a checkpoint. If you finish the lower screen puzzle you can go through the goal when the bar is up to get the checkpoint and a door to the upper screen puzzle.

How are you tackling the lower screen? That screen has a red herring on it that isn't needed for the puzzle but I guess could make things frustrating if you thought you needed it.

I used the P to turn the blocks into coins and jump on the platform. As I fell and jumped to the right the bullet bill immediately spat a fireball on me. I downloaded the level after that loss to see if there was anymore to it.
    Did I miss the checkpoint while looking on the top? Sorry if I did?

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Ah, I guess that is a case of knowing what's going to happen gives me better reflexes. It's safest to fall all the way down in the first shaft instead of running into the section with the bobomb towards the thwomp.

The checkpoint is in an odd spot and is easy to overlook it if you are editing the level. It's to the right of the goal.

• Options

Solution spoilers

Here's what I did:
    I used the invincibility after being hit while on Yoshi to hit it

• Options
    In my defense I was so far down the rabbit hole at that point of level construction something that simple wouldn't have occurred to me.

I may need to fix that tonight.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »

Played this today, and it was neat figuring out each small section. Ran into a bit of an issue when the fire flower didn't spawn and I got stuck at the bomb.

Two Parter - SMMC #20

The first half is a big puzzle, while the optional second half is more of an action challenge.

I really liked this challenge. I was constantly tweaking my ideas all week. The last quarter of the level I'm still not completely happy with but I figured I wouldn't have time tomorrow to make any more changes.

I am failing this puzzle so hard. I think I'm just really unfamiliar with the SMW physics since I didn't own a SNES growing up. Keep running into spikes or missing jumps. So far I've gotten the Koopa shell and spring board...

Gotta stop for dinner but I'll come back to it later.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

Two Parter - SMMC #20

I am failing this puzzle so hard. I think I'm just really unfamiliar with the SMW physics since I didn't own a SNES growing up. Keep running into spikes or missing jumps. So far I've gotten the Koopa shell and spring board...

Gotta stop for dinner but I'll come back to it later.

The koopa is a red herring. He's there as decoration but unfortunately it's possible to get to him to grab the shell. A skilled player might be able to use the shell to spin the blocks and drop the platform without getting the p-switch but it is not the intended solution.