Options

House Speaker John Boehner Is Resigning. Paul Ryan Elected.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Ron Swanson is a great TV character, but he would be an awful congressman. And we have more than one, and none of them are as badass as Ron Swanson.

He'd be an improvement than what we have in reality.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    The difference between the tea party folks and the rest of the republican caucus is that the 'mainstream' pubs just want to use the threat of a shutdown for leverage; the tea partiers actually want to do it. They look at forcing the government to shutter various agencies and stop transfer payments as a good outcome.

the problem for mainstream republicans is that they've been saying similar stuff forever because they thought it was a good way to pander to the base. Claiming to want to shut down three federal agencies is a good sound bite (even if you can't actually name all three), not a policy position that actually makes any sense.

Yep, pretty much. I have to listen to right wing talk radio at work, which I assume pretty much gives the crazies their marching orders.

I would say it's insanity, but it really isn't. It's a child-like inability to connect cause and effect. Things like "Democrats do nothing but tax and spend! We need to fix the deficit!" etc etc. And then in the next breath talk about shutting down government to throw a tantrum over (insert issue here), which would cost billions to trillions depending on duration (if not cause a depression outright).

They don't connect those dots. They cannot see it.

You have to be incredibly stupid to buy into this rhetoric, and I mean that literally. It's so outrageous that I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself. These are people that, frankly, need help. Instead of getting that help, instead of having a helpful hand to just tell them about global warming, basic economics, etc, they have a cadre of loud mouth idiots that feed them glorious affirmations on their stupidity.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    It's easier to ignore inconvenient information and find an imaginary fault in its messenger than to make a sincere introspection about your worldview.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    With the Export-Import Bank discharge petition going to the floor, the GOP moderates have some taste of power now. So it looks like the Dem/GOP alliance trial balloon is now being floated as an option.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/256683-dem-opens-door-to-bipartisan-speaker

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »
    With the Export-Import Bank discharge petition going to the floor, the GOP moderates have some taste of power now. So it looks like the Dem/GOP alliance trial balloon is now being floated as an option.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/256683-dem-opens-door-to-bipartisan-speaker

What about a triumvirate Speaker? It totally worked for Rome. Just keep the Egyptian diplomats away.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So I just saw on my phone that there is concern on the right that Ryan is 'too left'.

Yeah.

*internally screaming*

oh wait, I actually have something for this:

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that whole suggestion about the Freedom Caucus playing a gambit actually sounds like a plausible Machiavellian plot that would come from K Street. But then, I read "the Family" by Jeff Sharlett (sic?) and got almost as scared as I did when I read "Handmaid's Tale". Hint, don't read them back to back.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think anything resembling a strategy on the part of the freedom caucus is just coincidence

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, I'm in the camp that if anything good happens for them, it was luck rather than planning.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    They were a movement carefully cultivated and long astroturfed by some very smart people. The question is whether those same smart people are still pulling for them. They could have donors who have done polling suggesting that they could increase successful primary challenges if they demonstrate that most Republicans will vote for clean resolutions and stuff like that.

Lots of money is feeding into lots of data out there, it's just a matter of who's utilizing it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ron Swanson is a great TV character, but he would be an awful congressman. And we have more than one, and none of them are as badass as Ron Swanson.

He'd be an improvement than what we have in reality.

He at least occasionally compromises his principles to keep things from going down in flames and he totally gives a shit about people.
    Even though he grumpily pretends he doesn't.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) wants former VP and accomplished face-shooter Dick Cheney for Speaker.

Doesn't Dick Cheney support marriage equality? How does he imagine Dick Cheney (or anybody else, for that matter) is going to pass the Freedom Caucus' purity test?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Because the one thing America was missing was having Dick Cheney in the line of presidential succession.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I find it very hard to trust anyone who actually goes with "Dick" as a nickname for "Richard."

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) wants former VP and accomplished face-shooter Dick Cheney for Speaker.

Doesn't Dick Cheney support marriage equality? How does he imagine Dick Cheney (or anybody else, for that matter) is going to pass the Freedom Caucus' purity test?

He does last I recall because in the typical GOP fashion one of his kids is gay. But Cheney's kindness on one issue doesn't override the absolute black pit of shit the man himself actually is. Tom Cotton continues to be one of the worst members of congress.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

He'll take them hunting

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I find it very hard to trust anyone who actually goes with "Dick" as a nickname for "Richard."

I'm a big fan of Durbin, and hoped he would suceed Reid. Though I am biased.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wonder which has been done to death more.

Cheny's hunting accident or Monica's dress.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

To be fair, only one of those involved shooting someone in the face.

Wait...

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

To be fair, only one of those involved shooting someone in the face.

Wait...

This post is too brilliant for any one reaction button.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So you're saying we need to see a Oh! Face?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Oh yeah, well:

I%20work%20for%20Dick%20Jones%20-%20ED-209%20-%20Robocop.jpg

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    WASHINGTON—As the hall’s lights flickered and the floor trembled for minutes on end, sources confirmed that great torrents of blood ran down the walls of the House of Representatives Monday as the chamber itself selected a new speaker. According to reports, the blood flooded the chamber’s upper gallery and then spilled over onto the speaker’s rostrum, at which point the name “Peter Roskam,” intoned in an unholy growl that seemed to rise from the very depths of damnation, could be heard reverberating throughout the Capitol. Witnesses told reporters that after hearing his name called, the Illinois Republican and chairman of the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Oversight was visibly shaking as he walked alone to the front of the chamber and seated himself in the blood-drenched speaker’s chair. At press time, House Republicans had decided that Roskam had not been willing enough to take on President Obama and were aggressively seeking his replacement.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Oh yeah, well:

I%20work%20for%20Dick%20Jones%20-%20ED-209%20-%20Robocop.jpg

Disqualified.

That's Ronny Cox.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And all this chaos has convinced the freshman Teaper Representative from my neck of the woods that he's Speaker material.

This is all really high level satire, right?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Well given their whole any experience is a mark against you that is clearly the type of candidate they want one with as little experience as possible so as to not muddy up their purity.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Fuck's sake, Lord of the Flies was not an instruction manual for governance

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Fuck's sake, Lord of the Flies was not an instruction manual for governance

...can we please not give them any more ideas?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not sure they're going to elect a new speaker

Boehner will reign forever, perturbed

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Finally, everything is coming up Milhouse.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Finally, everything is coming up Milhouse.

richard_nixon_s_head.png

HAAAROOOOOOO

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Edit: Aw crap, this isn't SE++

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    And all this chaos has convinced the freshman Teaper Representative from my neck of the woods that he's Speaker material.

This is all really high level satire, right?

The best thing is that the comments are bitching that he's a RINO.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    What even is a Republican anymore

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

It changes hourly, so who knows.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

An Oxymoron.

488W936.png
  • Options

A miserable pile of secrets, mostly relating to sex.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Who know when they condensed "No True Scotsman" into the acronym RINO that they had made a similar leap to the man who created the Gatling gun.

Now we must all suffer through the trench warfare where anybody who pops there head up is brutally mowed down.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I hope that if a proper real schism in the Republican Party occurs, the new party takes up the mantle of RINO and makes the Rhino their symbol ala the Elephant/Donkey.