As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

House Speaker John Boehner Is Resigning. Paul Ryan Elected.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I love how this entire ordeal was because of the Freedom Caucus not supporting Boehner and now we have Paul Ryan who doesn't have the votes from the Freedom Caucus either...

Though tomorrow is the real test of that. I think he needs 18 of those 43 to go for him to get elected and there is a huge difference in a vote for "This other Republican" versus "The only Republican in this vote."

Yup he needs 18 more votes. The really ironic thing is the vote he got only 200 was secret ballot so nobody could have called anybody out on it. The floor vote is public so people unwilling to support him on a secret ballot seem unlikely to support him on the record.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Everyone in DC seems confident that Ryan will get the 218 votes from his caucus that he'll need tomorrow.

I get the feeling that the 43 votes today were just a warning signal to Ryan that's he's on a short leash, as far as the radicals are concerned.

I assume the same but it's risky enough I don't want to change the title till votes are counted.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    It was my understanding that he was demanding unanimous support of the caucuses, not the individual members. Did I get this wrong?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    It was my understanding that he was demanding unanimous support of the caucuses, not the individual members. Did I get this wrong?

He certainly went forward with less than the entire Freedom Caucus on board so I'm guess you're right.

Though they've had like a week and the outrage at the RINOs in the FC have shown up online so maybe they changed their mind.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    enc0re wrote: »

I just checked some old stories, and yeah, you're right. It was endorsements from all the various caucuses within the Republican caucus. I'll edit my previous comment with the correct info.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do like how Paul Ryan hater of women was a darling to the beltway media for requesting family time for himself in his demand. The same kind of family time he consistently votes against for everyone else.

Fuck Paul Ryan.

He doesn't want to deny it to them, he wants people to "earn it" like he did. Its own set of terror, but logically consistent.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do like how Paul Ryan hater of women was a darling to the beltway media for requesting family time for himself in his demand. The same kind of family time he consistently votes against for everyone else.

Fuck Paul Ryan.

He doesn't want to deny it to them, he wants people to "earn it" like he did. Its own set of terror, but logically consistent.

To be fair, I think his absolute distaste and lack of desire for the job are significant factors in this equation.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So, if Paul Ryan doesn't get 218 votes tomorrow, which seems quite likely. Would that actually hurt his future prospects in politics, since his party doesn't like losers? I think the country would be better served if he did get the votes. Not only would his sorry ass get fucked out of politics, shouldn't even be there in the first place. It would also maybe get more people to realize that the current republican party is not fit to run anything. Plus, given how gnats farts make the market lose it mind and go full blown idiocy, I'd had to see what they might do if the House can't elect a speaker.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well, they don't do anything with one, so the change won't be noticeable for some time.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Mill wrote: »
    So, if Paul Ryan doesn't get 218 votes tomorrow, which seems quite likely. Would that actually hurt his future prospects in politics, since his party doesn't like losers? I think the country would be better served if he did get the votes. Not only would his sorry ass get fucked out of politics, shouldn't even be there in the first place. It would also maybe get more people to realize that the current republican party is not fit to run anything. Plus, given how gnats farts make the market lose it mind and go full blown idiocy, I'd had to see what they might do if the House can't elect a speaker.

I don't know. I'll give Ryan this: he's one of the few republicans to have shown that he can and will make compromises to move things forward. I actually wouldn't mind him with the gavel because I think he lives in our reality. (And I challenge anyone to name another nationally known republican who does) We seem to be a long time removed from the Romney era and Ryan's magic budget that was so full of holes even he couldn't explain them away. That said I'm not sure he's got the temperament to reign in the idiots.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »

I don't think it'll hurt him. He was very quick to craft the narrative that he was doing this out of altruism "for the party." I also don't think it'll be considered a 'loss' persay, since conservatives really only hate democratic victories, and the Freedom Caucus has yet to actually clarify at all why they don't want Ryan.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I am skeptical that Paul Ryan will not be elected tomorrow. If he doesn't get every single Republican member of the House of Representatives to vote for him (at least until he hits 218) then things are a lot more dire in D.C. than I've been lead to believe. The chaos it would cause would be potentially catastrophic, though I suppose some members of the party would be fine with that outcome, as shortsighted as it is. I sincerely hope Paul Ryan does get elected to the position, because the alternative is truly frightening.

On the plus side, if he doesn't get elected to the position, that should pretty much end the Republican Party as we know it, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Do you think these people coordinate these things? By my count, there is room for 25 people to be the "Well, I didn't vote for him, don't primary me!" guy. Twenty-five people can pull that card and still let Ryan get elected Speaker. But as soon as that twenty-sixth person tries it, he's at 217.

I'm thinking back to the time when, I think it might have been Paul Ryan himself actually, had an insane disastrous budget bill on the floor that Republicans wanted to symbolically support but didn't expect to actually pass, and the Democrats refused to vote against it or something, forcing the Republicans to scramble and kill off their own bill? I'm not filled with confidence in this pre-vote coordination.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I am skeptical that Paul Ryan will not be elected tomorrow. If he doesn't get every single Republican member of the House of Representatives to vote for him (at least until he hits 218) then things are a lot more dire in D.C. than I've been lead to believe. The chaos it would cause would be potentially catastrophic, though I suppose some members of the party would be fine with that outcome, as shortsighted as it is. I sincerely hope Paul Ryan does get elected to the position, because the alternative is truly frightening.

On the plus side, if he doesn't get elected to the position, that should pretty much end the Republican Party as we know it, right?

Nah. The budget and debt ceiling negotiations are basically wrapped up for 2 years. If they can't elect Ryan they probably end up pleading for Boehner to stay on. Though I doubt Boehner will actually step down without a incoming speaker lined up and voted in anyway. Maybe they play around for a fruitless week or two tossing increasingly insane names into the hat, but they still will inevitably end up back with Boehner.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Well I mean it already looks bad that it took them this long to settle on a candidate, how much worse will it be if they can't even elect the guy they claimed to want? Also, if not Paul Ryan, who will take the job? This could give limitless ammunition for Democratic Party candidates to use against them, or for wingnuts to primary them with.

Of course, that would require the Democratic Party to have a viable candidate to challenge with, and that isn't the case in quite a few areas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And as Ryan prepares to ascend to the Speakership, let us not forget that today also marks the ignoble end of one of his predecessors. But never fear, Ryan has pledged to keep his Rule alive.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Paul Ryan is a RINO is still just the most baffling thing to me.

Quid on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah a guy who made his bones by someone calling him a grandma starver is now too left wing for the GOP.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It is extremely unlikely that Ryan will fail to get 218 Republicans votes tomorrow.

Hell, even the people who voted against him in the nomination say they expect him to get it. Via CNN:
    Tim Huelskamp, R-Kansas, a member of the power conservative House Freedom Caucus, said he voted for Webster but believes Ryan will get the 218 he needs Thursday.

Another Freedom Caucus member, Rep. Mo Brooks, voted for Webster but said he will back Ryan on the floor. "He's the nominee," Brooks said.

A Ryan backer, Greg Walden, said the "political flu bug is over" and downplayed the tally, predicting Ryan would get in the range of 230 votes tomorrow.

Those 43 dissenters likely saw the math, figured it was guaranteed that Ryan would get the nomination today, and so felt comfortable sending a protest vote, probably to let Ryan know he's being watched very carefully.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Paul Ryan is a RINO is still just the most baffling thing to me.

It's like that guy you knew in high school that called every mainstream band a sellout. The moment the band signs a deal - bam it's over. And they were always "not cool".

• Options
    Ryan was among the 79 Republicans who voted for the budget/debt limit deal.

So this pretty much makes him a full blown Communist, right?

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    It is extremely unlikely that Ryan will fail to get 218 Republicans votes tomorrow.

Hell, even the people who voted against him in the nomination say they expect him to get it. Via CNN:
    Tim Huelskamp, R-Kansas, a member of the power conservative House Freedom Caucus, said he voted for Webster but believes Ryan will get the 218 he needs Thursday.

Another Freedom Caucus member, Rep. Mo Brooks, voted for Webster but said he will back Ryan on the floor. "He's the nominee," Brooks said.

A Ryan backer, Greg Walden, said the "political flu bug is over" and downplayed the tally, predicting Ryan would get in the range of 230 votes tomorrow.

Those 43 dissenters likely saw the math, figured it was guaranteed that Ryan would get the nomination today, and so felt comfortable sending a protest vote, probably to let Ryan know he's being watched very carefully.

To me, it's looking more and more like the entire secret vote was just a show vote so the f word caucus could go out later and say they voted for the nobody guy.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    In my trollish political dreams, I hope the democrats hold off voting until the last minute and if it looks like Ryan won't get to 218 votes then every single Democrat votes for Ryan as speaker.

Just plunge that knife into Ryan's political career, Mrs. Pelosi. You know you want to.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Yes he voted for it, and then talked about how awful it was and how horrible it was for a few people to make the deal behind closed doors and when he's speaker that kind of thing won't ever happen again.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Viskod wrote: »

Yes he voted for it, and then talked about how awful it was and how horrible it was for a few people to make the deal behind closed doors and when he's speaker that kind of thing won't ever happen again.

My favorite news story about it was when Boehner and Co. first announced the deal. There was a Ryan quote and how awful this was, it's shady and secret and terrible.

And in the very next paragraph he's quoted saying yeah it's not so bad I'll be voting in favor of it.

Edit: And Ryan is elected speaker.

He received 236 votes (out of 247 Republicans).

Pelosi got 184 (out of 188 Democrats).

Others members received votes in the single digits.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

My favorite news story about it was when Boehner and Co. first announced the deal. There was a Ryan quote and how awful this was, it's shady and secret and terrible.

And in the very next paragraph he's quoted saying yeah it's not so bad I'll be voting in favor of it.

Edit: And Ryan is elected speaker.

He received 236 votes.

Pelosi got 184.

Curses.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    kinda surprised they did not vote for him on the secret ballot then.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Colin Powell got 1 vote

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The house equivalent of a school sucks vote, nice

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Update thread title?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Update thread title?

Change 'John Boehner' to 'Paul Ryan'?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Might I suggest "Paul Ryan ascends to the Iron throne, kicking and screaming?"

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Welcome, Speaker Ryan!

Let's hope you can make the place run with a little more discipline.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    As low as my expectations are for Ryan, I do hope that he shows a little more backbone than Boehner did. The country deserves a functioning legislature.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    As low as my expectations are for Ryan, I do hope that he shows a little more backbone than Boehner did. The country deserves a functioning legislature.

While I agree with the former sentence, I'm not so sure about the latter.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Welcome, Speaker Ryan!

Let's hope you can make the place run with a little more discipline.

This only happens if he can make the teapers sit in the corner wearing the dunce cap.

• Options

I mean, he certainly hasn't showcased much in his leadup to the speakership. He listed 'conditions', got precisely none of them, and did it anyway.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I see no reason why Ryan would be any more effective at controlling the insanity of the house than Boehner was.

And his district is probably crazy enough to primary him, so fun abounds.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I mean, he certainly hasn't showcased much in his leadup to the speakership. He listed 'conditions', got precisely none of them, and did it anyway.

I am super surprised he agreed to run.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The most we can hope for is that the Tea Party views Ryan with less resting disdain than they did with Boehner, and decide to obstruct him less of their own volition. Because if they don't, he has as much chance at reigning them in. Even less so, since it seems like he's pretty close to their last resort.