Options

It's all true, especially the [chat]

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Johnny Depp and his whole shtick bugs the shit out of me.

Well it's mainly that the Jack Sparrow persona became popular and then for a long while he was asked only to act like Jack Sparrow. Yeah?

Or are you bothered by something else.

It's probably mostly that

Some of it is not totally his fault

Like his weird obsession with Hunter Thompson and all the druggie memes that came out of that movie

And his long association with Tim burton including the unnecessary and insulting remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

But that whole thing he did with Tonto and deciding oh I'll just put a stuffed bird on my head look how quirky I am was kind of the last straw

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    i definitely get people getting exasperated with performances where an actor just shows up to kind of chew scenery as a "type" for a while and collects a giant paycheck for it a la latter-day de Niro, Depp, and so forth. it's like ye olde theatre dayz where some dude in an acting troupe was known across the land for his fat clown performance so he is like "damn it Shakespeare write a fat clown into this play for me pls u know the audience loves it" and shakespeare is like SIGH FINE

but i feel like there's a lot of blame to go around on that one. actors want to work and if the only fish that are biting are the ones going "bro bro can you play a guy like the guy you played in taxi driver only funny and stupid and a comedy" then maybe you do that

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    although it would be hard not to yell I AM SHIVA THE GOD OF DEATH at her through the glass and walk away wearing a suit with a red cover booklet in my hand

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    I'll admit to having a bit of weird antipathy towards Julianne Moore that I can't really defend

I think she's very talented but for some reason she kind of creeps me out

noooo julianne moore = my waifu

her boston accent in 30 rock is a war crime but not sure if intentional or not
    I still can't get over the fact that there was an art exhibit in a museum that was a glass room and Tilda Swinton would at times enter the room and read, chill, or take a nap.

That was the exhibit. Sometimes an empty room, sometimes Tilda Swinton in the room acting as though it was not a museum but simply a room in her house.

So mysterious.

<3

I feel like this is a thing missing from my life

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I still can't get over the fact that there was an art exhibit in a museum that was a glass room and Tilda Swinton would at times enter the room and read, chill, or take a nap.

That was the exhibit. Sometimes an empty room, sometimes Tilda Swinton in the room acting as though it was not a museum but simply a room in her house.

So mysterious.

<3

I would visit this exibit

And she might not have even been there. There was no schedule.

It was seemingly random.

I love art.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    OH SHIT THOUGH
    greater-america.jpg

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    night night kedinik!

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I'm sorry. I laughed.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    there is nothing wrong with

- obsessing about Hunter S Thompson

- working on Anything that Tim Burton does

I didn't see the Lone Ranger flick so I can't really comment on that but it at least looked mostly fun

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    OH SHIT THOUGH
    greater-america.jpg

call it Outer America and he can be Trump Boss

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    once our gigabit gets turned on i want to start streaming videogames again

but all of my friends (re: you) liek terrible video games

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

just stream hero siege w/me

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Johnny Depp is my husbando

His performances in Ed Wood, Pirates, Edward Scissorhands, Fear and Loathing, etc are great and bold and weird

I admit he is in a lot of middling movies though - I won't defend the likes of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland or Lone Ranger or Pirates of the Carribean Part 30: Curse of the Moldy Cheese

And the thing about those movies is that not only are they blah, they are also hard to forget - they're movies with huge budgets and huge marketing campaigns where Johnny Depp gives memorably weird performances with memorably weird costumes and makeup

so I guess I can understand if people get the idea burned into their head that Johnny Depp = bad

he's great tho

wandering on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Jack Sparrow was a billion dollar persona. Around the second movie, teenage girls had a Jack Sparrow poster on their wall, twenty-something nerdettes had a Sparrow tattoo.
    281981803_c668aada40.jpg
    I really can't figure out the appeal.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Don't sass me.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    Johnny Depp is my husbando

His performances in Ed Wood, Pirates, Edward Scissorhands, Fear and Loathing, etc are great and bold and weird

I admit he is in a lot of middling movies though - I won't defend the likes of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland or Lone Ranger and or Pirates of the Carribean Part 30: Curse of the Moldy Cheese

And the thing about those movies is that not only are they blah, they are also hard to forget - they're movies with huge budgets and huge marketing campaigns where Johnny Depp gives memorably weird performances with memorably weird costumes and makeup

so I guess I can understand if people get the idea burned into their head that Johnny Depp = bad

he's great tho

the only redeeming factor of any pirates sequels was when Johnny Depp was stuck in Surreal Pirate Limbo

and bringing Barbossa back

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    Also everyone go watch A Single Man.

(Moore's performance is strictly mediocre in a very two-dimensional role, but god damn it she's still major waifu)

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

The Lone Ranger is a movie I would love to have seen without Johnny Depp in it.

• Options
    Julianne Moore is great in everything

even that shitty kidnap movie that turned out to be about aliens

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

The Lone Ranger is a movie I would love to have seen without Johnny Depp in it.

Lone Ranger needs a Tonto. Who would you have play Tonto?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    matt damon jimmy kimmel couples therapy is great

• Options
  • Options
    he's never forgiven him for i'm fucking matt damon

• Options
    See my thing with Tim Burton is

Kind of the same issue I have with Wes Anderson

Where they are very very dedicated to a certain aesthetic and style and it is not something I am particularly interested in.

I can appreciate the skill and dedication and attention to detail that goes into their stuff but it's like

Dude

Maybe branch out a little bit

Tim, try and make a movie that's not about death

Wes, try and make a movie that's not about the unbearable tweeness of being

• Options
    idgi

• Options

Where they are very very dedicated to a certain aesthetic and style and it is not something I am particularly interested in.

I can appreciate the skill and dedication and attention to detail that goes into their stuff but it's like

Dude

except tim is going downhill and wes anderson has made better and better movies lately

seriously grand budapest hotel is so beautiful and so moving about war and changing culture and the old guard moving into the new

it's beautiful

• Options
    i guess if you think a world war crashing down on a country and ruining it is twee... you didn't watch grand budapest hotel actually did you

you should watch it

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    who cares about these dumb films when you can watch kung fury

• Options

Dude

almost none of their movies are about those things

I kinda get it if you can't get past their style to see it but you're super wrong

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I am sure there is plenty of fiction around this. Plenty

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I love that handwringing execs were really nervous about what Johnny Depp was doing on the first Pirates movie and thought he was ruining the film and were like "d..does he have to have all those gross false teeth? does he have to be so swishy and weird?" and Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski were like "yes he does, suck it" and then ultimately Depp was the reason the movie was so popular

wandering on
  • Options
    The last Anderson movie I saw was The Life Aquatic

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    who cares about these dumb films when you can watch kung fury

I don't see any good reason not to do both

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    i do love the schadenfreude when someone clearly isn't up to date on a thing they're criticizing

SERIOUSLY GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

• Options
    The last Anderson movie I saw was The Life Aquatic

I love that movie

how can you hate anything with Bill Murray first of all

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
This discussion has been closed.