As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's all true, especially the [chat]

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

this is tempting

i have an amazon code for 10 bux off but it has to be stuff sold and shipped by amazon.ca which so little of worth is, but... my heart was kinda set on getting a steam controller

and yet the french press i want is only $22 or something so my $10 off on $40+ orders doesn't apply and i'm having a real shit of a time finding anything cheap enough to only really fill that gap...

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I love that handwringing execs were really nervous about what Johnny Depp was doing on the first Pirates movie and thought he was ruining the film and were like "d..does he have to have all those gross false teeth? does he have to be so swishy and weird?" and Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski were like "yes he does, suck it" and then ultimately Depp was the reason the movie was so popular

And then the Lone Ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiE0LCu6J0

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That's not what schadenfreude is.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, stand down.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Standing down...

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I find Wes Anderson's style obnoxiously mannered, and loathed both Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. I haven't seen his other work, though, so maybe Moonlight Kingdom and Grand Budapest were fucking fantastic. Hard to motivate myself to find out tho.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The last Anderson movie I saw was The Life Aquatic

huh, okay. so you talk about a director 11 years ago and 3 movies into his 7 movie career.

i bet this is going to go over well

you didn't even watch the fantastic mr fox

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    I find Wes Anderson's style obnoxiously mannered, and loathed both Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. I haven't seen his other work, though, so maybe Moonlight Kingdom and Grand Budapest were fucking fantastic. Hard to motivate myself to find out tho.

They were.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Nobody has seen Fantastic Mr Fox. I'm not convinced it was actually made.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

oh but it is in my case!

• Options
    Moonlight Kingdom's plot is admittedly a tad pointless … but that's not the point.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Nobody has seen Fantastic Mr Fox. I'm not convinced it was actually made.

It's good go watch it!

• Options

oh but it is in my case!

But I'm not suffering any misfortune. I haven't had to watch any films I didn't want to just to satisfy someone else's desire for me to get a full view of a filmography.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

tumblr_m32f78pDz81rqrr67o1_500.gif

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    people don't realize that the life aquatic was from the perspective of a 10 year old boy and all about this series of books + jacques costeau

http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Biestys-Incredible-Cross-Sections-Richard/dp/0679814116
    http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Biestys-Cross-Sections-Richard-Platt/dp/156458321X/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QV3DGY8C1DNJ58PMWTP&dpID=71P34RHXHRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120,160_

i think it's pretty obvious watching it since i'm a 10 year old boy but

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Royal Tenenbaums but could never get into and finish Life Aquatic (3 attempts so far).

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    the only Wes Anderson film i've seen so far is Grand Budapest Hotel but i loved it and should really see more of them

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I love Tim Burton's gothic expressionist style and really love Wes Anderson's twee storybook style.

I wish more filmmakers were as stylistically bold as those two.

I don’t need my movies to feel like they exist in my reality - I spend every day in reality so it’s nice to escape it, every once in awhile.

I kind of want to turn Wes Anderson's movies into a cozy blanket and then wrap it around me and never take it off. And then legalize human-blanket marriage and then get married to it

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Jack Sparrow was a billion dollar persona. Around the second movie, teenage girls had a Jack Sparrow poster on their wall, twenty-something nerdettes had a Sparrow tattoo.
    281981803_c668aada40.jpg
    I really can't figure out the appeal.

Pirates I was a good film, imho, and Depp nailed the role of insane-yet-maybe-not pirate with loose allegiances yet ultimately noble intent.

And the dialogue was excellently written.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

oh but it is in my case!

But I'm not suffering any misfortune. I haven't had to watch any films I didn't want to just to satisfy someone else's desire for me to get a full view of a filmography.

the definition is in the person experiencing the emotion, not in the person who is being viewed by that person

think about someone saying they've never eaten pizza. that person would be like well i am not unfortunate! lol yeah right more pizza for us!

anyway, you don't have to watch them if you don't want to but poo-pooing them and then admitting you haven't seen any of their movies in 11 years is designed to make us angry, right

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
  • Options
    I actually enjoyed Rushmore at the time but for all the wrong reasons. I actually thought Max was a sympathetic character instead of a manipulative psychopath.

Then I watched it again last year and I realized he's a monster.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »

/snip/

Part of the reason why it's hard to motivate myself to find out more about his other work is that, when it comes to those earlier movies, everything I absolutely hated about them seemed to be the very same things that other people loved: the baroque visual composition, the precocious children, the tonal swings, what we might unkindly call the unbearable tweeness of being, etc. So when people tell me that his other movies were great, I am become mistrust.

• Options
    I love Tim Burton's gothic expressionist style and really love Wes Anderson's twee storybook style.

I wish more filmmakers were as stylistically bold as those two.

I don’t need my movies to feel like they exist in my reality - I spend every day in reality so it’s nice to escape it, every once in awhile.

I kind of want to turn Wes Anderson's movies into a cozy blanket and then wrap it around me and never take it off. And then legalize human-blanket marriage and then get married to it

there was something i loved about the scene to scene transitions in grand budapest hotel

or especially the way you'd see a scene from a panned out perspective and it's gustave and zero running in an overly exaggerated style that i'm finding hard to articulate at the moment (but if you've seen it you know exactly what i mean)

ugggh it was just so good i should just watch it again

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I should finish The Grand Budapest Hotel

Spoilered for sad sack.
    but I find myself crying before I can because it was the movie we were watching as a family the night of my father's death.

Page 100 Folks

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    FroThulhu wrote: »

The Lone Ranger is a movie I would love to have seen without Johnny Depp in it.

Lone Ranger needs a Tonto. Who would you have play Tonto?

An actual Native American actor

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Jake I think you undid Geth's recycle order when you stood him down

Beware page 101

• Options
    it is like saying videogames aren't art

last game played was ms pac man don't care

you didn't say "I don't like this specific movie"

here is what you said:
    "Dude

Maybe branch out a little bit

Wes, try and make a movie that's not about the unbearable tweeness of being"

implying that you had a full knowledge of the directors work

so yeah schadenfreude

and on that note, i sleep

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    Jack Sparrow was a billion dollar persona. Around the second movie, teenage girls had a Jack Sparrow poster on their wall, twenty-something nerdettes had a Sparrow tattoo.
    281981803_c668aada40.jpg

Pirates I was a good film, imho, and Depp nailed the role of insane-yet-maybe-not pirate with loose allegiances yet ultimately noble intent.

imdb said Disney started filming Pirates 3 when the script was only half finished. Why would they do this?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    *preps the anime warhead*

• Options
    whoa whoa whoa

Ms. Pac-Man is a masterwork

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @Organichu just stream what you want brah.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    anime

it comes, rising up through the abyssal depths

• Options
    281981803_c668aada40.jpg

imdb said Disney started filming Pirates 3 when the script was only half finished. Why would they do this?

because it would take care of itself and wouldn't matter. they probably knew the start and end so just film the scenes you got and write dialogue to get you to the end.

plus it was all storyboarded i'm sure.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

i literally can't watch trailer park boys because maybe the second or third episode i saw was the one where bubbles' shed burns down and i was completely heartbroken

• Options
    whoa whoa whoa

Ms. Pac-Man is a masterwork

NOT ART. *stamps*

• Options
    281981803_c668aada40.jpg

this is a thing happens a lot in hollywood and it is unbelievably stupid and a sign that hollywood execs do not put nearly enough stock into the quality of the script/story.

• Options
    I feel like you are taking this way too personally. It's not personal.

I was basing my statements on the movies I'd seen. Four movies in and he hadn't changed his shtick.

Also I really wanted to use the phrase "the unbearable tweeness of being"

• Options
    281981803_c668aada40.jpg

because it would take care of itself and wouldn't matter. they probably knew the start and end so just film the scenes you got and write dialogue to get you to the end.

plus it was all storyboarded i'm sure.

But it turned out terrible.

This discussion has been closed.