As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite] Dangerous; Engineers Are GO!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    By the time Star Citizen comes out you can probably just make one with the replicator.

• Options
    I feel like I finally have to buy rudder pedals for yaw. Any recommendations? I'm not going to go insane and buy a crosswind or anything, but I would like something that I could maybe use for racing games (or the buggy) too.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Was away on a trip, checking up on the Beta status now apparently the whiners in the ED community have complained so much that FD nerfed the AI back to being stupid in the current beta version. Well that's just freaking great...I was really having fun with it before I left! NPCs actually were tough to kill and surprised me in fights. Sigh...can't wait for NMS.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how well rudder pedals would work for driving games, depending on what kind you get. Most rudder pedals sort of act like a steering wheel you control with your feet, where you push forward with one foot and the opposite side pulls back towards you, rather than a pedal you press down to brake/accelerate.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Oh well, that's not a huge deal for me, more like a nice bonus. I don't play a lot of driving games as it is.
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Was away on a trip, checking up on the Beta status now apparently the whiners in the ED community have complained so much that FD nerfed the AI back to being stupid in the current beta version. Well that's just freaking great...I was really having fun with it before I left! NPCs actually were tough to kill and surprised me in fights. Sigh...can't wait for NMS.

That's a real shame. I hope they'll go back and tweak at least. I read that one of the main complaints was that the AI's new tactic of boosting away to recover shields then coming back, while effective, was super tedious to fight against.

Then again, I'm not so shit hot that the AI doesn't sometimes toast me anyway. I had a fight against four cobras the other day that was super hectic and a lot of fun, they nearly took my shields out. I love the fact that small ships are scaled so that you can never totally ignore them in a bigger ship, unlike the X series where they literally couldn't outpace your shield regen. If you're facing down an Eagle and a Python, the Eagle will chip away at you while you're distracted and have an effect on the fight. Picking the right target is still something I struggle with tactically.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm the furthest thing away from a crack pilot, but if I'm up against any kind of large/small pairing, I will try to swat that small ship first because it will shred me if I don't.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure it's quite as badly nerfed as some are saying, but it's definitely not quite the same as it was. Still the AI is definitely smarter than 2.0 and their loadouts are far more diverse and interesting. The AI also still likes to fly backwards while shooting me for abit here and there which is a nice change. There was some mention by devs of more tweaking before release so we'll have to see how it shakes out. I liked the AI running sometimes but they did it abit too much and seemed to cheat when they boosted away at speeds no player loadout could attain. Something more reasonable as far as retreating / rengauging in battle would be great. The behavior makes them seem more real because they had a sense of self-preservation.

• Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    Yeah I'm the furthest thing away from a crack pilot, but if I'm up against any kind of large/small pairing, I will try to swat that small ship first because it will shred me if I don't.

The problem is (as I see it, I'm not a great combat pilot) that the best way to stop something shooting at you is to shoot at it and force it to take evasive maneuvers, so if there's a Cobra, an Eagle and a Python and you swat the small ships first the Python is unloading on you that whole time. It's more of an issue for me with the Anaconda because you have limited damage mitigation, your sole defensive approach is generally Soak It Up.

• Options
    Yeah, I've not taken anything larger than a Vulture into a fight, more commonly a Cobra or Viper, so I've had maneuverability on my side to outrun the big ships while taking down the smaller. Otherwise I'll be sat there for minutes chipping away while the Eagle or even Sidewinder adds to the damage already being done by the bigger ship.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Zerocz wrote: »
    In a move that critics are calling "Unwise" and "Probably a bad idea", I filled all the dorsal mounts on my python with plasma accelerators.

You guys!

You guys, it's so good! Left and right, alternating fire groups, just hammering down damage like a angry god!

Basically if you want the double huge mounts of a corvette, but ain't got the scratch or the rep, you need to try this!

On the strength of this post, I tried doing double B3 plasma in my Vulture.
    It is hilarious.
    It puts Deadly Anacondas into "oh shit gotta run!" mode. Most things don't even try to fight back.

Class 3 Frag Cannons are every bit as much fun, but the reload time & limited ammo seem less effective overall.
    I kinda want to try triple Frag Cannons in the Imperial Courier, but I don't have the rank.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Alright maybe I'll give this a go.

• Options
    Anyone tried the elite store recently? I've tried three cards and they're all declined for no given reason.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Where can I find bindings files for Elite? The default profile has some things I'd like to change, but some of the custom profiles I've seen where people have made a cheat sheet would be nice to have too.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Hit escape, go into options, and find controls.

I meant downloadable bindings files.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Something like appdata\local\Frontier developments\Elite dangerous\options\bindings

New patch drops today! Haroo! Haroo! I'm looking forward to it a lot, especially the interface improvements and the new missions. Yesterday's playtime got me my courier, got it outfitted and got it back to homebase and that was about it. It's a shame that's something that take 90 fucking minutes but what can you do?

I briefly loaded it with 3 PACs. It could take out an asp in a couple of hits, but it's next to impossible to hit with it due to the hardpoint placement of the courier, and power management is an issue. Maybe I'll try a full particle accelerator loadout on my Anaconda, that should be a lolfest.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I really hope the huge laser weapons are good. Can't wait to try them out.

Any word on how they are making navy ranking easier?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    I don't think that's actually hit yet, it's more of a "we're aware of this, we're planning something in the future". Right now the best way to make any grind easier is not to think of it as a grind and just try to have fun, nothing super important is gated behind rank.

I did read through the patch notes though, and there's a tooooooooon of stuff changed and fixed in this update. Hopefully it didn't break fifty things.

• Options
    Oh, one big change I guess: rank no longer gates missions. You can take an elite ranked combat mission in your sidewinder from the start if you think you can handle it.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Oh, one big change I guess: rank no longer gates missions. You can take an elite ranked combat mission in your sidewinder from the start if you think you can handle it.

Really? Wow. There are a lot of resource collection missions currently gated behind higher Trade ranks. If missions like that stay the same but are no longer gated, that's a huge profit increase for me (and miners as a whole).

I'm looking forward to trying ice mining when the servers go up. From what I've read on the official forums, I shouldn't look for that to happen before tomorrow (sadly).

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    I think there's a chance that you'll simply be served different missions and never see a gated one, but the intent seems to be to avoid the case of "there are twenty missions available and you can't do any of them."

BTW if anyone was wondering: the courier is a lot of fun to fly. The eagle is probably a little nippier, but for the first time flying a fighter size craft around a planet this is great. The Vulture was just a little too blocky for my taste.

• Options
    If I'm reading the patch notes right: reputation is now more of a factor than rank. If they think you're some goober, they're not going to give you an elite mission, but if you've kicked ass for them a bunch of times they don't care what your pilot rank is because they think you're a cool guy.

• Options
    If I'm reading the patch notes right: reputation is now more of a factor than rank. If they think you're some goober, they're not going to give you an elite mission, but if you've kicked ass for them a bunch of times they don't care what your pilot rank is because they think you're a cool guy.

Awesome. That's how it SHOULD be. If I'm allied with a system, they shouldn't lock anything off.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Anyone tried the elite store recently? I've tried three cards and they're all declined for no given reason.

So if you're in the US, most cards freak out over the UK transaction. I had to go to my bank's site and say "yes this was me" before I could successfully pay. It's a huge pain in the neck.

• Options
  • Options
    They do, but PayPal is a huge clusterfuck if you've moved countries. I got it working in the end.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It took me something like 15 minutes to figure out the exact things I needed to do just to buy some skins for my FDL, buying stuff from their store sucks.

• Options
    Yeah it was half an hour of my life before I borrowed my roommate's Paypal. I don't know why it's doing this all of a sudden. The fact that it gives no error and boinks you back to the homepage sucks. A couple of times it even wiped my cart.

• Options
    These patch notes go on forever.
    and there are a lot of little gems tucked away in odd places.

• Options
    It seems like Frontier's dev team are really hitting a stride after season 1's largely garbage updates. I can't help but wonder how much money this game makes, I hope they're able to keep supporting it like this for years to come.

• Options
    Yeah they seem to have got themselves comfy with the tools and fixed most of the first-year complaints now, so they're in a better position to actually work on improving the game rather than spending so long just bringing it up to snuff. Probably getting planetary landing working was a pretty massive effort, so now they can build off that.

I can't even begin to imagine how much work will be needed if they ever get onto to atmospheric planets, let alone populated ones.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I didn't see it in the patch notes, but I swear I read somewhere that there's now planet based combat with other ships. One trade off is that you can no longer just laser death skimmers from the sky

• Options
    I didn't see it in the patch notes, but I swear I read somewhere that there's now planet based combat with other ships. One trade off is that you can no longer just laser death skimmers from the sky

There is. I have done it in the beta myself, it's loads of fun and having ships flying around adds a ton of life to the planets. Ships will come find you, and sometimes they are pirates!

• Options
    can't wait to get home today

• Options
    Oh wait so 2.1 / 1.6 are live TODAY!? I thought it wasn't until June 3rd for some reason. Awesome!!

• Options
    Yep! Servers are down for it right now.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Up and patch is available for download (including Steam).

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    That sure is an 8.5 gig patch.

• Options
    Oh man the quality of life buffs are real

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So I was kind of waiting for Horizons to take off and go explore the wild black yonder, and was wondering what to go in.

I've got a decent Cobra at the moment, which would probably "do", but I'd assume a bit more jump range would be good. Any suggestions between Asp Explorer, DBE, or Asp Scout as a goal?

Would like to be able to take a rover + spare, good scoop, and the usual exploration kit of scanners and so forth, plus anything needed for the planetary synthesis/crafting/make ammo stuff.

dporowski on