As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Overwatch sets incoming!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    43 inches long. I legit have no place to put that thing.

I already needed to find a good spot for my Executor, so having to find a place for both would not make things worse anyway. I'm thinking kitchen table. It's not as if I use it to eat.

When I had my old star destroyer and Executor built at the same time they lived on the table. We never use it to eat unless company is over so it worked well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

I already needed to find a good spot for my Executor, so having to find a place for both would not make things worse anyway. I'm thinking kitchen table. It's not as if I use it to eat.

And after you bought it, you won't have any money for food, anyway, so…

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    At 43 inches long, you can probably just use this as the kitchen table.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    At 43 inches long, you can probably just use this as the kitchen table.

Blasphemy!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

The only way I could possibly justify it would be by replacing my coffee table with one of those glass display case/table things people have been doing with the falcon.

Hell, glancing at the IKEA site, I'm reasonably certain this thing is bigger than my coffee table.

Oh also I don't have around a grand Canadian to spend on Lego either, but I sure don't have the cost of that thing plus whatever it'd set me back to get a (possibly custom) display table made either!

... and while I was at it might as well get a light kit installed too because why the fuck not. While I'm dreaming I'd also like a Pony.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Forar wrote: »

The only way I could possibly justify it would be by replacing my coffee table with one of those glass display case/table things people have been doing with the falcon.

Hell, glancing at the IKEA site, I'm reasonably certain this thing is bigger than my coffee table.

Oh also I don't have around a grand Canadian to spend on Lego either, but I sure don't have the cost of that thing plus whatever it'd set me back to get a (possibly custom) display table made either!

... and while I was at it might as well get a light kit installed too because why the fuck not. While I'm dreaming I'd also like a Pony.

I'm pretty sure that a pony would be a viable alt build.

Was just reading TBB's announcement of the announcement, and I'm thinking the set is going to be worth it. I mean, just check out this bit from the official press release:
    Also comes with 2 blaster pistol weapons.
    I mean, that's got to be worth a couple of c notes right there. Right?

Full Official Announcement:
    [/quote]75252 Imperial Star Destroyer
    Ages 16+. 4784 pieces
    US $699.99 – CA $849.99 – DE €699.99 – UK £649.99 – FR €699.99 – DK 5299DKK

Own the ultimate Imperial Star Destroyer!

Build and display an icon of the Galactic Empire – the Devastator. With over 4,700 LEGO pieces, this Ultimate Collector Series 75252 Imperial Star Destroyer model captures all the authentic details of the starship as it appeared in the opening scene of Star Wars: A New Hope, including swiveling guns, a tilting radar dish, huge engine exhausts, intricate surface detailing and of course a buildable scale version of the Rebels’ Tantive IV starship to chase down. This galactic civil war UCS set also includes a display stand with informational fact plaque and 2 Imperial minifigures, making it the perfect LEGO Star Wars collectible for discerning fans.

Includes Imperial Officer and Imperial Crewmember minifigures.
    The Devastator Imperial Star Destroyer model features swiveling guns, a tilting radar dish, huge engine exhausts and intricate surface detailing.
    Also includes an attachable, buildable scale version Tantive IV starship for added Star Wars: A New Hope authenticity.
    With a display stand with informational fact plaque for the ultimate display piece.
    Also comes with 2 blaster pistol weapons.
    This Ultimate Collector Series set has 4,784 pieces.
    Inspire unforgettable Star Wars: A New Hope moments.
    The perfect LEGO Star Wars collectible for fans of the Star Wars saga.
    UCS model on display stand measures over 17” (44cm) high, 43” (110cm) long and 26” (66cm) wide, and over 14” (37cm) high without stand.
    Available directly from LEGO Stores & shop.LEGO.com from October 1, 2019 (September 18, 2019 for LEGO VIP members).[/quote]

see317 on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Well... dang.

I figured it would be huge, but yeah at that size it is HUGE! Maybe I'll go and drool at it at the Lego store instead of picking one up. I still have not built the Falcon since I have yet to find a table to house it in. Part of me still wants it, since I missed out on the original smaller one long ago. But then again do I just pass and wait for the inevitable AT-AT that will come out shortly after?

Dangit, but it is the stinking ISD!!! There are not much more cooler ships than that! Arg!

Edit:
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I'm seeing 4,784 pieces for $699.

The Falcon has 7,541 pieces and cost more ($799.99). So this is weird.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I just figured out where I'm putting my Ninjago stuff. I have nowhere I could put that. Oh well.

• Options
    It's a cool looking model, but between the cost and the size, it's not for me.

Now, when they decide to give me a TIE Bomber or TIE Defender UCS, I'll be there as soon as I get my check from selling all of my blood, and my neighbors blood, and possibly the blood of a family member or two.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Also apparently there's no interior? Like my favorite thing about the UCS Falcon was that you could take the top off and look around the interior:

lnAZWMt.jpg
    KbhR1eA.jpg

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'll wait for a new UCS Super Star Destroyer that will require my car's spot in the garage, thanks.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    I'll wait for a new UCS Super Star Destroyer that will require my car's spot in the garage, thanks.

hmm

if the to-scale UCS falcon is 84cm long, and the in-universe falcon is 35m long
    then the 1600m long star destroyer would be like... 3700cm long? Which is just about 120 feet. You might need a bigger garage.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

hmm

then the 1600m long star destroyer would be like... 3700cm long? Which is just about 120 feet. You might need a bigger garage.

Anyone who can afford a set that size will have no problem with the bigger garage. But let's call it what it really would be at that point: a hangar.

Ketar on
  • Options
    The original UCS star destroyer was only about $350 so this seems like too large of a jump for only a thousand more pieces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    By the way, here is the official page for it.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/imperial-star-destroyer-75252

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

hmm

Yeah, but SSDs are 8km long.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular

hmm

13 km

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Turkson wrote: »

hmm

13 km

Wookiepedia says 19km https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I forgot to mention that I finally finished two sets (four if you count my wife also completing two) out of the insane backlog. Built Vader's Castle and the Tantive IV. My wife built the Lunar Lander and the Mustang.

Vader's Castle is really cool and smaller than I imagined. It has a lot of play items for kids which is neat, plus a tiny Advanced X1 for Vader to sit in. Overall it looks really impressive when you shine a light through the clear red bricks through either side. I'm thinking I should hook up some LEDs to light it from the inside.

The Tantive IV on the other hand is much bigger than I imagined. For some reason I thought it would be about the length of First Order Star Destroyer, but it is longer. There is an insane amount of detail from the cockpit back. It really is a good balance between a playset and Lego model. Although I do wish the cockpit had more detail, because four empty cone shaped pieces and two seats that float in the middle of them seems way too bland. But at least it is a really awesome looking kit to display and the handle is hidden as the radar dish. My wife said it reminded her of the Republic Gunship where it was much cooler after building it than sitting in the box on the shelf.

The Lunar Lander is way too awesome and a nice addition to the Saturn V rocket. Especially the detail they gave the "moon" base is really nice. I now have to figure out how to display both next to each other. But I have to say if you have the Saturn V you definitely need this set.

The Mustang is so awesome to look at. I really am jealous how cool it looks compared to my older Ferrari F40. At least it matches scale to my Mini Cooper on the shelf but is so much cooler to look at. I loved that they gave enough license plates to use all of the stickers as well! So you can swap them as you see fit.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Actually only half a kilometer long, but they used a lot of camera tricks to make it look bigger on screen.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    The original UCS star destroyer was only about $350 so this seems like too large of a jump for only a thousand more pieces.

The original UCS Star Destroy was $300 USD for 3106 parts and measured around 37 inches long. I have both this set and the UCS Executor, and I really want this set but if I were to spend that much, I'd spend another $100 and get the Falcon because it has so many more parts.

It's disappointing, because I'd have saved for a few months and paid $500 for this kit.

• Options
    I always regret not buying the original Star Destroyer back then. But this new one's size is the hardest part of wanting it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I regret not buying the UCS Death Star II. I don't regret being able to eat or have a place to live, though. Them's the breaks.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

The original UCS Star Destroy was $300 USD for 3106 parts and measured around 37 inches long. I have both this set and the UCS Executor, and I really want this set but if I were to spend that much, I'd spend another $100 and get the Falcon because it has so many more parts.

It's disappointing, because I'd have saved for a few months and paid $500 for this kit.

Yeah, I was looking for dimensions of the old one and couldn't find it, I thought it was the exact same as the new one. I doubt I'm picking it up since I'm kind of feeling guilty about how many sets I've had to take apart and put away since I've filled my display spaces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I was reading earlier about the lower piece count versus cost and the thought is that there are some very big pieces. If you compare weight the falcon and this are very similar. So you are getting a similar amount of plastic, just less pieces.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I regret not buying the UCS Death Star II. I don't regret being able to eat or have a place to live, though. Them's the breaks.

Eventually there will be a UCS set that's big enough to live in inside and part of this justification for not buying it will no longer hold water.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So I was reading earlier about the lower piece count versus cost and the thought is that there are some very big pieces. If you compare weight the falcon and this are very similar. So you are getting a similar amount of plastic, just less pieces.

Stop trying to get me to buy this!

Aw heck, what an I saying... As soon as I see this in the store I'm doing to fold like a wet napkin.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Eventually there will be a UCS set that's big enough to live in inside and part of this justification for not buying it will no longer hold water.

That will be the one with the full to scale interior making it impossible to actually dwell inside.

• Options

You mean like James May's house?

lego_1486820c.jpg

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I always regret not buying the original Star Destroyer back then. But this new one's size is the hardest part of wanting it.

I'll sell you mine if you're interested in it. I've had it in storage (original box) for ages, but I keep balking at the idea of dealing with a buyer from ebay or Bricklink.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    wonderpug wrote: »

I'll sell you mine if you're interested in it. I've had it in storage (original box) for ages, but I keep balking at the idea of dealing with a buyer from ebay or Bricklink.

Thanks for the offer, but my wife has said I could buy the new one if I wanted. Just need to figure out where I would display it (or how I would display it). So now I'm thinking of ways to display it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    wonderpug wrote: »

Thanks for the offer, but my wife has said I could buy the new one if I wanted. Just need to figure out where I would display it (or how I would display it). So now I'm thinking of ways to display it.

One could argue that the approval to buy the new one comes with a de facto approval to do an expansion on your home.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    They can re-do the Tie Defender anytime they want.

I'm still surprised I found one of those just sitting in my local Target under discount.

Now it just sits on the top shelf in my bedroom.

• Options
    edited September 2019

hmm

13 km

Wookiepedia says 19km https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought

gS6XYGm.jpg

that's a super star destroyer, this one is just a regular Imperial-class star destroyer, I believe

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer

Brolo on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought in the WEG era of Star Wars Rpg the Eclipse was far far bigger than the Executor

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Do not speak of the scales of Star Destroyers. Down that path lies madness. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Do not speak of the scales of Star Destroyers. Down that path lies madness. :)

It's much more efficient to realize that any given Star Destroyer is exactly 1 Writer/Director's Need in length.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My favorite thing in the WEG Imperial Sourcebook was the two page spread of Imperial ships to scale. Everything fit on those two pages except the Executor which was silhouetted across the next several pages.

• Options

hmm

13 km

gS6XYGm.jpg

that's a super star destroyer, this one is just a regular Imperial-class star destroyer, I believe

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer

Yeah, we were talking about the SSD :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Interesting video with some additional details about the new destroyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CQ8iYJgrWk

This discussion has been closed.