Options

Mexico is about to get hit by the biggest hurricane ever recorded

2»

Posts

  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Someone uploaded this one (from Tenacatita, Jalisco.) Rather impressive.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhh


    I hate it when people do this sort of thing. Not that I don't appreciate the feed, but seriously, put down the damn camera and seek shelter. Being internet famous for a month ain't worth the risk of life-long injury or death.

    They are filming that from inside. You can see the door frame. Once it gets that bad, you aren't going anywhere, and you are as safe as the integrity of your shelter. Might as well take some video.

    This was exactly my thought. Hurricanes take hours to pass, and the place probably doesn't have a basement.

    It would be different he was out on a boardwalk or whatever, but... whoever is behind the camara is pretty much stuck and will have some notice if they need to attempt to take cover in a more interior room.

    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah "SW" style homes typically don't have basements.

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Someone uploaded this one (from Tenacatita, Jalisco.) Rather impressive.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhh


    I hate it when people do this sort of thing. Not that I don't appreciate the feed, but seriously, put down the damn camera and seek shelter. Being internet famous for a month ain't worth the risk of life-long injury or death.

    i don't know that the motivation for recording it is necessarily out of a desire for internet fame. As terrible as it's going to be, some people might not be convinced how bad this hurricane is until they see live footage of it. Whether it's people who might be convinced to evacuate or people who decide to donate to relief efforts, some good can come out of it.

    And, you know, in this crazy whacked-out future in which we live, we almost all carry the technology to document things like this now. And when we get to see a first-person view of it, fifteen seconds of video can be worth a gajillion reports on the news.

  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular


    The last time a category 5 hurricane made landfall in Mexico was in 1959. It hit more or less the same area. Here's a snippet of Wikipedia's article on the storm.

    Wasn't Gilbert in 88 a Cat5 when it hit Cancun?

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

    Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Demi GourdDemi Gourd Registered User regular
    I live above Houston. How worried should I be about this thing?

  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Demi Gourd wrote: »
    I live above Houston. How worried should I be about this thing?

    It was already demoted to cat4, and the expected path was shortened quite a bit. Still need to be alert about any changes, but I think you'll be looking at maybe some rain, if anything..

    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Demi Gourd wrote: »
    I live above Houston. How worried should I be about this thing?

    You should expect some heavy rain this weekend. It's on the west coast of Mexico, it won't be coming anywhere near Houston as a hurricane.

  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular


    The last time a category 5 hurricane made landfall in Mexico was in 1959. It hit more or less the same area. Here's a snippet of Wikipedia's article on the storm.

    Wasn't Gilbert in 88 a Cat5 when it hit Cancun?

    I thought Gilbert had downgraded to Cat3 by the time it made landfall?

  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Someone uploaded this one (from Tenacatita, Jalisco.) Rather impressive.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhh


    I hate it when people do this sort of thing. Not that I don't appreciate the feed, but seriously, put down the damn camera and seek shelter. Being internet famous for a month ain't worth the risk of life-long injury or death.

    They are filming that from inside. You can see the door frame. Once it gets that bad, you aren't going anywhere, and you are as safe as the integrity of your shelter. Might as well take some video.

    Notice also the door is parallel to the wind. This means opening the door and standing beside the wall we see to the left leaves him as safe as he can be anywhere. There were long (well they felt long but probably not more than 10 minutes) stretched during Katrina that I opened my back door and just watched what was going on until the wind changed on us. One upside of a hurricane over a random storm is the wind is extremely predictable once you are in it.

  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Wooo! We're all the way down to Cat2! Looks like the worst is over. Just a LOT of rain to deal with now.

  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Glad it seems to be much less than the media was reporting.

    Now to be a jerk, will those relief agencies return the money they collected?

    I know that's a whole separate thread about donations and how they play up l the latest diaster but make no promises about where your money goes to.

  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    They'll probably be kept and used next time they are needed.

  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They'll probably be kept and used next time they are needed.

    Yeah, just because they don't need them now they are going to need them at some point.

  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also, "just a cat 2" is still a hurricane hitting Mexico and dumping a ton of rain across a huge portion of the continent.

    When Irene hit us, it was just a tropical storm but the rain caused billions in damage. Those organizations will still need the money.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Glad it seems to be much less than the media was reporting.

    Now to be a jerk, will those relief agencies return the money they collected?

    I know that's a whole separate thread about donations and how they play up l the latest diaster but make no promises about where your money goes to.

    When I gave money it's wasn't with strings attached and it was to a certified charity i n Mexico so I'm not going to be too upset if there is less damage than predicted. I'm sure they can still use the funds to help people in flooded areas etc

  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Yeah we were complaining about how Mexico has no disaster infrastructure

    Looks like a good non emergency project to me

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Glad it seems to be much less than the media was reporting.

    Now to be a jerk, will those relief agencies return the money they collected?

    I know that's a whole separate thread about donations and how they play up l the latest diaster but make no promises about where your money goes to.

    When I gave money it's wasn't with strings attached and it was to a certified charity i n Mexico so I'm not going to be too upset if there is less damage than predicted. I'm sure they can still use the funds to help people in flooded areas etc

    For sure, that is an area that could use some help. I think that some people do get upset; they want their money to go to specifically that diaster/emergency.
    I can see both sides, someone having a connection to that area, but also the money should go to those to l who need it most.

  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Thank God for the Sierra Madre.

    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Glad it seems to be much less than the media was reporting.

    Now to be a jerk, will those relief agencies return the money they collected?

    I know that's a whole separate thread about donations and how they play up l the latest diaster but make no promises about where your money goes to.

    When I gave money it's wasn't with strings attached and it was to a certified charity i n Mexico so I'm not going to be too upset if there is less damage than predicted. I'm sure they can still use the funds to help people in flooded areas etc

    For sure, that is an area that could use some help. I think that some people do get upset; they want their money to go to specifically that diaster/emergency.
    I can see both sides, someone having a connection to that area, but also the money should go to those to l who need it most.

    I'm afraid that I can't really see the other side.

    What does that other side even say? "I donated to help suffering people in western Mexico. It's outrageous that my money is going to help suffering people in Chile and Haiti or wherever. I wanted to do something good for Mexico, not to help people in a completely different country get access to food and potable water and shelter and medical supplies. Does no one else see the injustice here?"

    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    People should realize they are not donating to help suffering people in Mexico, they are donating to the charity. If the charity decides to spend that money to help suffering people in Mexico then that's where it's going. If the suffering people in Mexico don't materialize though, that money is going somewhere else.

  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'm afraid that I can't really see the other side.

    What does that other side even say? "I donated to help suffering people in western Mexico. It's outrageous that my money is going to help suffering people in Chile and Haiti or wherever. I wanted to do something good for Mexico, not to help people in a completely different country get access to food and potable water and shelter and medical supplies. Does no one else see the injustice here?"

    But this is really, really similar to the kind of thing tons of people in every country say all the time, that is: "we should help poor people in this neighborhood before we spend any money on federal/international poverty relief programmes."

    Despite people in [federal/international] area being in more need that people in that particular community given relative incomes.

    I think it's a bad argument, but it's one that lots (and by lots I mean, like, pretty much anyone who has ever written a letter to the editor) of people agree with. "People [x] that I feel a specific affinity with for whatever reason deserve money but people [y] who I am less familiar with don't." The affinity can be people within your country, people within your state, or people who were in the path of a particular hurricane, it's the same argument all around.

    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

    http://newnations.bandcamp.com
Sign In or Register to comment.