As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Tennessee officials have called Greg Schiano’s representatives and told them they are backing out of their agreement to make him the next football coach at Tennessee. There’s a signed Memorandum of Understanding between Schiano and athletic director John Currie, which they agreed to and signed in Columbus earlier today.

Tennessee’s reverse course came after significant backlash online and on campus to Schiano’s hiring. Some of the backlash was tied to Schiano’s link to the Jerry Sandusky scandal, which Tennessee officials vetted while pursuing Schiano. In a deposition, former Penn State assistant Mike McQueary said he was told by another assistant coach, Tom Bradley, that Schiano had told Bradley that he had seen Sandusky “doing something” with a boy in a shower. The allegation was hearsay and Schiano was never charged with a crime or sued in civil court. Schiano and Bradley have publicly denied the allegations. Bradley has testified under oath he knew nothing of Sandusky’s actions.

But the backlash exploded on Sunday afternoon, including vitriol on Twitter and a painted rock on Tennessee’s campus.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anything like this,” said a veteran athletic director. “Within the industry, there was an understanding that he’d been cleared. But now with the way the fan base has responded, who will be willing to take that job?”

I don’t know, maybe someone who isn’t connected to Sandusky?

In followup, the Tennessee AD was handed his pink slip:
    Friday morning, after returning from yet another meeting with another prospective head coach, Tennessee athletic director John Currie was canned. It was quick, kind of expected, and, really, just another blip in what’s been a teeth-grinding shitshow for the folks in Knoxville and a comical treasure trove for everyone else.

Currie’s time in Knoxville was brief—he was hired in February—but in those fleeting months, he presided over one of the more inept and hilarious coaching searches of any that’s been seen at any (formerly) major program in the past 10 years. Currie went into the winter tasked with finding a replacement for head coach Butch Jones. He started his quest by hiring mediocre lunatic Greg Schiano, a decision he quickly reversed after realizing he’d alienated seemingly his entire fanbase. Since then he’s only succeeded in creating a steady stream of reports about other candidates turning down the gig.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    And the NCAA has ruled that Ole Miss doesn't get to go bowling for two years.

Houston Nutt has to be laughing his ass off.

• Options
    Why I Love My Fucking Home State, Someone Check The Water In Missoula Edition:
    Montana Grizzlies football fan Lisa Davey didn’t want the school to bring back Bobby Hauck as head coach. Hauck left for UNLV after the 2009 season, and his last few years with the Grizzlies featured a number of his players and recruits being arrested for various crimes, and his stonewalling of the school’s student newspaper.

So Davey started an online petition to protest Hauck’s return. (The school announced this morning that Hauck has been hired.) One particular Montana fan was so appalled by the existence of Davey’s petition that he posted her home address online and encouraged people to harass her.

(For those who don't know, Hauck was the coach when the Griz had a problem with players moonlighting as rapists.)

Yeah, the fans can be just as rabid and stupid down in I-AA as they can be in the Power 5.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I read that montana article and thought of you. For me I just don't know why you'd be so incensed to attack a woman merely stating "hey don't bring a rapist supporter here". Then again I'm not a fucking huge sexist prick.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Jimbo Fisher from Florida State to Texas A&M.

huh.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

huh.

Well, when someone tosses their Christmas tree on December 1st:

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Phil Fulmer is now the AD for Tennessee. That will help.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Bobble wrote: »

huh.

For a disgustingly large contract, too. 10 years for $75million.

Edit: Pac-12 championship is getting interesting...

Veevee on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    So I know there are pressing things like the destruction of the US as a country going on right now, but this Stanford/USC game is bananas.

I think each team has about 12 yards of actual football playing and 400 yards of penalties.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    So I know there are pressing things like the destruction of the US as a country going on right now, but this Stanford/USC game is bananas.

I think each team has about 12 yards of actual football playing and 400 yards of penalties.

At one point the ball moved like 200 yards without a play actually being completed. It was like 6 or 7 penalties

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Auburn shitting themselves.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Indeed, a surprisingly strong performance by Georgia, who are probably asking themselves, "Wait, where was this three weeks ago ?"

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    and Nebraska fans breathe a big sigh of relief that we actually ended up with Frost and things didn't go all Tennessee on us.

• Options
    How the hell did Fresno State get ranked #25?

Wisconsin and Clemson losing would be chaos. Either way, a Wisconsin loss means Alabama will get in.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Wisconsin and Clemson losing would be chaos. Either way, a Wisconsin loss means Alabama will get in.

Not really. Miami would be in and there would be an OSU/Alabama debate centering around how valuable championships are, how Alabama has no great wins, and if allowing 55 points to Kirk Ferentz should be disqualifying.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Not really. Miami would be in and there would be an OSU/Alabama debate centering around how valuable championships are, how Alabama has no great wins, and if allowing 55 points to Kirk Ferentz should be disqualifying.

(Glass breaks)

MAH GAWD, KING! IT'S UCF!

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Wisconsin o-line absent thus far.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

To give a reason to have Alabama be outside looking in if Wisconsin or Oklahoma dropped the ball, instead of someone else.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Clemson is telling Miami, "Enough of that turnover chain nonsense, you're playing the big boys now."

• Options
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    evidently the field in Indy has a sinkhole in the end zone

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Announcers talking like they’re watching surgery.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    Announcers talking like they’re watching surgery.

the turf dude is totally selling it

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    It was a interesting bit of normally behind the scenes maintenance.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    It was a interesting bit of normally behind the scenes maintenance.

I dunno I have a hard time believing that turf won't just come right back up

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The Buckeyes will just have to keep Wisconsin from scoring a TD for everyone's safety then.

• Options

Called it.

• Options
  • Options
    aTm literally rolled out the red carpet for Fisher:

• Options
    He will be the saviour, I'm sure.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Those 55 points from Iowa cast a long shadow.

As a Buckeye fan even I couldn't have justified being in the top 4 with a loss like that

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Not with two losses.

• Options
    And Tennessee finally collapses over the finish line:

• Options
    So he ends up at FIU in a couple of years?

• Options
    How awkward would it have been for Navy if they'd run the table, won their CCG and then a week later, played Army and lost? Imagine being ranked into the playoffs and just shitting the bed in a meaningless game as all the sports turds start bitching and complaining about having been selected and (probably) Alabama deserving to be in or what the fuck ever?

Why the fuck is the game being played now?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Someone fucked up and forgot to schedule the army/navy game before finalizing the schedules?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Everyone involved knew it wouldn't have playoff implications.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Army/Navy is always played now and they aren’t going to change because of some damn playoff smayoffs.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Everyone involved knew it wouldn't have playoff implications.

At one point Navy was ranked 15, I think. If they had won out, they may very well have been considered.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Not from that conference, they wouldn't.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.