As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A new [minecraft] thread? A new [minecraft] game? A new [minecraft] OP? What?

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I've got a passing interest to play a bit of minecraft again. Last time i REALLY got into it and made a real world of it was in 1.2.5, when enchanting had just, or very recently, been introduced.

I'd like to use a FEW mods, but nothing crazy like the insane tech packs that everyone seems to do. I like running light on my mods. A mini-map, decent higher rez texture pack, maybe a few added things for interest (and i saw something about a star wars lightsaber mod?).

What's the best way to get just a few mods into minecraft. I also would like to keep the game installed to a specific directory, and i remembered it used to always drop into your personal folder most of the time, but I've got a separate drive for games i'd like to keep it on... is that easy(er) to do now?

http://imgur.com/bhwbZ21

THIS is probably one of the main things that make me feel like playing it again. This was my 1.2.5 world, and this was a natural mountain shaped like a bird i came across. I built my nether portal on top of it. I usually also find a small tree to build my first base around. As you can also see in that picture.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So I've got a passing interest to play a bit of minecraft again. Last time i REALLY got into it and made a real world of it was in 1.2.5, when enchanting had just, or very recently, been introduced.

I'd like to use a FEW mods, but nothing crazy like the insane tech packs that everyone seems to do. I like running light on my mods. A mini-map, decent higher rez texture pack, maybe a few added things for interest (and i saw something about a star wars lightsaber mod?).

What's the best way to get just a few mods into minecraft. I also would like to keep the game installed to a specific directory, and i remembered it used to always drop into your personal folder most of the time, but I've got a separate drive for games i'd like to keep it on... is that easy(er) to do now?

http://imgur.com/bhwbZ21

THIS is probably one of the main things that make me feel like playing it again. This was my 1.2.5 world, and this was a natural mountain shaped like a bird i came across. I built my nether portal on top of it. I usually also find a small tree to build my first base around. As you can also see in that picture.

The best way to install "just a few" mods, in my opinion, is MultiMC. It lets you run multiple separate instances of Minecraft with different groups of mods with a minimal hassle.

Journeymap is pretty much the standard map mod, so I recommend that one. I don't have much knowledge of good texture packs, though.

If you want more of a challenge than vanilla, and don't want to run tons of mods, look into TerraFirmaCraft. It's a good bit more grindy than vanilla but also a lot more on the realistic side. And of course, I will always recommend Thaumcraft. It's just a fantastic mod that lets you do all sorts of really cool stuff with minimally intrusive world gen. Thaumcraft 5 is one of the few working 1.8 mods, otherwise most mods (including Thaumcraft 4) are still running on Minecraft 1.7. I would like to recommend Tinker's Construct, because it lets you build lots of interesting tools, but I feel that it really wants other mods to go with it. Otherwise you've got lots of OP weapons and tools and not much to do with them.

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I've played regrowth a little bit on the servers I frequent and nobody there and, from what I have seen here has automated crops the way I have managed. Blood magic people! Reap of the harvest moon costs 0(ZERO) LP to harvest crops. Place a gold block under the master ritual stone for a 21x9x21 area. Pair this with Call of the Zephyr to collect items in a 21x21x21 area and stick it in a chest above the stone, then pipe from the chest to whatever sorting/crafting system you want. I have yet to see anyone use this method and it requires no dicking around with harvest golems or robots. Want infinite LP to support item collection/BM, well of suffering/regen ritual with golems under your alter. Slap nametags on them so they never despawn, keep it lit so monsters don't get them. If you want extra super duper growth, make a set of bound armor with 8 green grove sigils plus another in your inv, (yes they all stack last time I checked)

I let you all in on the secret because PA rocks.

Beefjerky on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Anyone played with Galacticraft before? How is it?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Beefjerky wrote: »
    So I've played regrowth a little bit on the servers I frequent and nobody there and, from what I have seen here has automated crops the way I have managed. Blood magic people! Reap of the harvest moon costs 0(ZERO) LP to harvest crops. Place a gold block under the master ritual stone for a 21x9x21 area. Pair this with Call of the Zephyr to collect items in a 21x21x21 area and stick it in a chest above the stone, then pipe from the chest to whatever sorting/crafting system you want. I have yet to see anyone use this method and it requires no dicking around with harvest golems or robots. Want infinite LP to support item collection/BM, well of suffering/regen ritual with golems under your alter. Slap nametags on them so they never despawn, keep it lit so monsters don't get them. If you want extra super duper growth, make a set of bound armor with 8 green grove sigils plus another in your inv, (yes they all stack last time I checked)

I let you all in on the secret because PA rocks.

the only problem with that is you have to deal with a massive sorting operation cause everything goes in the one chest, and you cant selectively disable individual plots (you only need so much obsidian essence) without completely removing them.

Golems you can just plop them on individual 9x9 plots you want to work, leaving others for manual harvest when you need it. Which is why I think a lot of people go with that, plus bspace barrels make each fields harvest go where you want with minimal sorting/effort.

and don't get me wrong, I loooove blood magic.

I've gotten t6 altars more than once, had the omega armor, etc.

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    Sorting was easy for me. There's some sort of autocrafter that doesn't take power and also uses blueprints. I made a whole bunch, sticking the patterns I needed for the crops I had(which was almost all of them) used diamond pipes to route the correct items down a long line then shoved everything into a single storage drawer controller with an array of drawers/compacting drawers. This is as far as I got with the pack before I stopped. Using ticon smelters to autoprocess ores was the next step I was working on I think but got distracted.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Well, I don't know if anyone read my rambling at the bottom of the previous page, but I did end up getting the whole thing set up the other night and it was working beautifully. Even without speed upgrades, the auto-hammerer was keeping up with the output of the three auto-sieves, which surprised me. I was actually a bit concerned that it was producing fast enough that I wouldn't really be able to work on another project without the dust blocks backing up, especially iron, which seems to be the most plentiful, since I still had to manually grab the dust blocks and bring them over to my smeltery for processing. The build also didn't look like much overall, so I didn't want to show it yet, but last night I got the dedicated smeltery as well as most of the building up, so I figured I'd take some screenshots of how it turned out.

I'll spoil these for the images, but it shouldn't be too bad.
    The Workshop:
    ievwu1qsofrf.jpg
    The main building itself; I was standing a bit close so you can't see the smeltery on the roof yet. Not counting the outer edge of the roof, the whole building is within a single 16x16 chunk. It's not quite finished, I'm thinking of using microblock slabs to fill in the walls with some block or other, just not sure what yet.

s82bkx680vkz.jpg
    This is the basement of the workshop, you can see the lower portion of the storage drawer bank here along with a couple of slave controllers flanking the Special Chest which autocrafts the ore pieces. To the left side is a bank of 6 Pulverizers being fed cobble from the transfer node cobble-gen just to the left of them. Each works as a line, so the top 3 feed into each other end produce dust, the middle 2 produce sand and the bottom one just makes gravel. Each line feeds into a JABBA barrel as a buffer, as you can just see the gravel one on the bottom.

Originally I was piping the secondary production of the pulverizers out to the barrels as bonus production, however I found that itemducts don't backstuff anymore, instead what happens is if an item starts making its way to an open inventory, then that inventory fills by the time the item gets there, the item just flies out of the pipe. This was less than ideal, so I set up the trashcan and just fed the output there, although I also saw that my pulverizer making dust sometimes struggled to have enough sand to work on, so I set it as another input, so if it has space for more sand, the excess from the two gravel pulverizers might end up there, otherwise it'll just head to the trashcan.

pp7ga2xp8987.jpg
    This is looking around the side of the storage drawers to the back, the buffer barrels feed into the three auto-sieves and the output from them is piped down into one of the slave controllers. Just behind the pipe going into the slave controller, you can just see the auto-hammerer, which is directly behind the Special Chest from the previous picture. To the right is the bank of 12 crucibles producing lava to feed the 8 magmatic engines producing power for the building. Now that I have the materials for plenty of invar, I probably need to start upgrading the fluxducts from leadstone, especially if I want to start adding upgrades to any of the sieves or hammerer.

v577uv2ovbu1.jpg
    Now for the main floor of the workshop. This has the main portion of the storage drawers bank from below, including the main drawer controller in the floor there. The barrel of cobblestone there is being fed from the same transfer node cobble-gen that's feeding the pulverizers and crucibles. Seemed like a decent place for it anyway. Above you can see through the glowstone glass skylight part of the smeltery setup on the roof.

hual0nn6hi97.jpg
    And the rooftop smeltery! These are two 5x5(x2) internal size smelteries that share a common center wall. In that center wall is the seared tank that is being fed lava from the crucibles down below, which both can work off of. The smeltery controllers are just behind the inner most casting basins. In the middle is a slave controller connected to that same bank of storage drawers with servos set to pull the dust ore blocks out of the drawers and feed them to the smelteries.

The left one handles Aluminum, Nickle, Platinum, Silver and Tin, the right one handles Copper, Gold, Iron and Lead. The smeltery drains are pulled from by reinforced servos and each is set to whitelist one type of metal, so anytime a smeltery liquifies a dust ore block, it immediately drains into its respective basin. When the basin eventually fills, the hardened servos below pull the block out and send it right back into the slave controller where it goes into its compacting drawer on the previous image.

All in all, I'm really happy with how the whole thing turned out. When I get sieving going that starts giving me cobalt and ardite ores, the smelteries can handle those separately as well. Edit: Oh yes, I may also move the storage for the dust ore blocks down to the basement part of the storage drawers with their respective ore pieces, since I don't really need to see/get the dust blocks anymore. That'll give me some storage space for more things that I'll need in various crafting.

Now I need to start making a tree farm... because I'm running out of wood. At least I have the resources to start getting some MFR stuff online.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Man, Mekanism brine production is silly-slow unless you're in a desert.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Just set up a creative tank for Brine

Especially since Salination Towers are built the slow multiblock way and will bog down a server in time

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    How is the server running? I put in a restart thing every 24hours and backups as well.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    How is the server running? I put in a restart thing every 24hours and backups as well.

aint been on today but it seemed solid last night

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Servers solid today, but feels like I've been the only one on in two days now.

Which is fine, lets me take the lead tech wise.

edit
    I need radi to admin fix a quest..I completed the alfheim gate quest and got the lexica with elven knowledge, but the quest isn't recognizing it and letting me complete the quest. even made a second lexica and threw that in to, and still nothing.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

edit
    I need radi to admin fix a quest..I completed the alfheim gate quest and got the lexica with elven knowledge, but the quest isn't recognizing it and letting me complete the quest. even made a second lexica and threw that in to, and still nothing.

I have no idea how to do that. Will look into it later tonight.

• Options

edit

I have no idea how to do that. Will look into it later tonight.

Basically just give me ops, so I can spawn the quest editor and force complete the quest, then I can destroy it and you can remove my ops @Radiation.

Its important because IIRC after thi quest is a quest to kill the wither, then another to kill gaia.

But I went ahead and fought wither today, and it went so very wrong. Ran far from anyones known base, and spawned him. was going fine with my enchanted elementium armor and enchanted terra blade... until he blew me into a canyon I didn't see previously.

Close confines + Wither = Bad times.

Died like 3 times before I said screw it, made a TiCo Crossbow, threw all the quartz I had on an alumite bolt and maxed redstone on the crossbow itself, then lured the bastard up and out of the canyon, which allowed me to circle back, drop in, recover my graves, get out of the canyon, crossbow him down to half health (when he stops flying and goes super pissed mode), and finished him off with my terra blade.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Just set up a creative tank for Brine

Especially since Salination Towers are built the slow multiblock way and will bog down a server in time

I mean its a single person game that I sometimes LAN with a friend, so I'm not super worried about server load.

Unrelated note, I'm setting up an oreberry farm to build up metal blocks for my space station using vacuum hoppers and autonomous activators, but the hoppers aren't always able to grab the berries, making the system somewhat inefficient. What are peoples' preferred set up?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I don't see the creative brine tank as much of a problem, since the common response in minecraftia to deal with brine is to build as many towers as you want, then edit the configs to increase production to a level you are sane with.

I wonder if you could create a mystcraft or RFTools brine world..

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Normally I'd just build my facility in a desert for the 2x modifier, but there isn't one nearby and I try to take it easy on really obvious use of ender transport.

Modifying the production level though, that should work.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Did something change in the latest regrowth?

I usually build a gaia arena deep underground in a 9x9 cell, but its not working now like it has previously.

edit

I've tried everything on the server and single player. I cant get the goddamn beacon to accept the terrasteel ingot and spawn Gaia, even though its built right according to the visualizer. It just keeps spewing an error about the ritual not being set up right, which is bullshit.

Buttcleft on
  • Options

I usually build a gaia arena deep underground in a 9x9 cell, but its not working now like it has previously.

edit

I've tried everything on the server and single player. I cant get the goddamn beacon to accept the terrasteel ingot and spawn Gaia, even though its built right according to the visualizer. It just keeps spewing an error about the ritual not being set up right, which is bullshit.

I feel like I remember reading about a change that the beacon needs to see sky.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

edit

I feel like I remember reading about a change that the beacon needs to see sky.

It can see sky.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    What does it do on the server in a test map on singleplayer? Same thing?

Radiation on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    There's a very bad thing between Buttcleft's base and mine. Reminds me of a gravitic anomaly but I don't think we have that mod.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    LD50 wrote: »
    There's a very bad thing between Buttcleft's base and mine. Reminds me of a gravitic anomaly but I don't think we have that mod.

Is it a nearly invisible black hole like thing that tears blocks out of the ground and eats them, along with anything in it range that isn't tied down, including you and all your gear?

Then it's probably a Hungry Node from Thaumcraft. Best to avoid, unless you are super expert a Thaumcraft.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Yeah, Unfortunately the world was doing the thing it does for me where it's not loading the stuff in front of me as fast as I'm walking forwards, and I didn't see it until it had already sucked me up. I'm resourceful though and managed to get to my tombstone safely and get the stuff out of it without losing it.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    @LD50

Give me rough coords, I'll go block it up in Obsidian so it cant do anything else (and maybe feed it for future thaumcraftery)

Yes. Just says the ritual isn't set up right or to look for gaps in the floor.

Which there are none.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    @LD50

Give me rough coords, I'll go block it up in Obsidian so it cant do anything else (and maybe feed it for future thaumcraftery)

Yes. Just says the ritual isn't set up right or to look for gaps in the floor.

Which there are none.

I don't have the coords on me, but its next to the mountain near my base. It's just a bit in the direction of your base from where the oil is.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    So the only way I can apparently get the gaia ritual to work is if I do it above ground on perfectly flat terrain with absolutely nothing around.

Which is not something I care to partake in, because the fight is already a hot can of bullshit in an Arena, much less when it has a huge area to teleport around in.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    So the only way I can apparently get the gaia ritual to work is if I do it above ground on perfectly flat terrain with absolutely nothing around.

Which is not something I care to partake in, because the fight is already a hot can of bullshit in an Arena, much less when it has a huge area to teleport around in.

Do you have a Thaumcraft Lightning focus? I've found that makes the fight pretty trivial, especially if you've put a few upgrades on it.

• Options

Do you have a Thaumcraft Lightning focus? I've found that makes the fight pretty trivial, especially if you've put a few upgrades on it.

Doesn't upgrading foci require thaumic tinkerer or something, which I don't think is in regrowth?

• Options

Doesn't upgrading foci require thaumic tinkerer or something, which I don't think is in regrowth?

No, the foci upgrading table is vanilla thaumcraft, but you'll need an energized node with every aspect and a good amount of exp.

• Options

No, the foci upgrading table is vanilla thaumcraft, but you'll need an energized node with every aspect and a good amount of exp.

XP is nothing. I can easily plant 4 9x9 fields of magicrops experience seeds if need be.

but things in regrowth are gated..and I imagine that stuffs pretty deep

• Options
    Anyone have experience with Pneumaticraft? I'm trying to build an elevator with the mod, hopefully drawing from my mekanism power supply, without having to monitor system pressure, but mod documentation is thin.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    So I've concluded my testing about the ritual of gaia.

and I can only add more Fuck Vazkii to my already incendiary feelings towards her.

Apparently now you have to have the ENTIRE area Gaia spawns in clear, to the last block. I tested thi by making a sky platform in single player.

it requires a circle that's something like 28 blocks across, perfectly flat, and completely open. So no more arena.

Apparently another punishment for people who get tired chasing gaia around half the planet for the 9th time in their 12th world and get tired of the bullshit.

Because its so much fun chasing gaia around and around getting maybe, if you're lucky, one hit on it before it teleports to the complete other side of the area.

I swear to god I'm so sick of Vazkii's bullshit and Botania anymore.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Precisely zero people are forcing you to play Botania.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »

actually regrowth is doing just that.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Hey, does anyone happen to know if the pocket editions from the play store and the amazon app store can play together?

My daughter decided she's into minecraft now, which I'm cool with. I got the pocket edition on my phone to dork with, but my parents gave the kids their unused fire tablet. I just want to know if they can see eachothers games, or if I should just wait till the fire 5.0 update comes out so I can force the play store on the device without rooting it. EDIT: to be clear I don't want to buy the amazon app store version if it won't play with the play version...if I can just wait a bit and get the play version on the fire tablet anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    So I've concluded my testing about the ritual of gaia.

and I can only add more Fuck Vazkii to my already incendiary feelings towards her.

Apparently now you have to have the ENTIRE area Gaia spawns in clear, to the last block. I tested thi by making a sky platform in single player.

it requires a circle that's something like 28 blocks across, perfectly flat, and completely open. So no more arena.

Apparently another punishment for people who get tired chasing gaia around half the planet for the 9th time in their 12th world and get tired of the bullshit.

Because its so much fun chasing gaia around and around getting maybe, if you're lucky, one hit on it before it teleports to the complete other side of the area.

I swear to god I'm so sick of Vazkii's bullshit and Botania anymore.

Are you using the Ring of Far Reach and the soujourner's/globetrotter's/there'sathirdoneright? sash?

• Options
    Hey, does anyone happen to know if the pocket editions from the play store and the amazon app store can play together?

My daughter decided she's into minecraft now, which I'm cool with. I got the pocket edition on my phone to dork with, but my parents gave the kids their unused fire tablet. I just want to know if they can see eachothers games, or if I should just wait till the fire 5.0 update comes out so I can force the play store on the device without rooting it. EDIT: to be clear I don't want to buy the amazon app store version if it won't play with the play version...if I can just wait a bit and get the play version on the fire tablet anyway.

Minecraft Wiki
    The objective of the game remains the same as its more developed PC and Console Edition counterparts, where players can build virtual realities in a sandbox-like environment. Like its counterparts, Pocket Edition also has survival elements present in other versions of the game such as brewing, hunger, and dimensions like the nether but doesn't include any bosses in this game. The multiplayer mode is cross-platform compatible between all touch-screen devices capable of running Pocket Edition.[19]

It would seem so, but I'd read more on the linked page just to be safe

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Nice, thanks for that link.

I'll give it a shot then. It's only $7 either way, and she can play by herself regardless. I just know she'd really enjoy playing with others, including her cousin who comes over sometimes with her own tablet.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »

actually regrowth is doing just that.

"Forcing" is a bit of a stretch, though. You could not play regrowth, or you could party up with someone and let them do it while you progress in a different direction.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration with the elements of Regrowth you find tiresome, but that's no good reason to insult a person who is, at the end of the day, providing you with a service free of charge, regardless of how well or poorly you think it is implemented. "I wish she'd stop making these sort of changes" is fine and dandy. "I really wish regrowth would reconsider their Botania section considering the changes" is completely reasonable too. "Fuck her" isn't.