As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Steven Universe] episodes starting July 18

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Why

Undertale fandom has to ruin everything, including undertale

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    that was

pretty good?
    It kind of wrapped up everything extremely neatly extremely quickly, which was a bit jarring

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Why

They do both enjoy terrible, terrible puns.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah it
    was a bit abrupt, but i think thats kinda a good thing because it means they have a completely new plotline to continue. This is a 4 week huge event and everything we saw on the previews have already happen. We finally get back to town probably soon too!

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice the
    Lost
    reference in the first part?

No I don't.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    that was

pretty good?
    It kind of wrapped up everything extremely neatly extremely quickly, which was a bit jarring

I think the timing of the episodes airing really hurt this.
    It's been like four months since the last episodes? If these were the last pair of episodes we say they would feel fine and like an earned conclusion. Instead, because of CN fuckery, they are the "First" episodes in this new arc and they are very weirdly placed because of that.

Also "It's not natural!"
    "Then use the D-pad."

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    This isn't Steven Universe, but it's something Rebecca Sugar did back in 2009 and it's honkin' weird

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I really liked the new episodes.

I don't think we've seen the last of Jasper, I actually thought she was the one attacking the drill.

I really loved the build up on Watermelon island, Malechite coming up and opening her eyes was dope.

I feel like that scene in the drill was drawn by Rebecca. Lot of the poses and faces you see from her work.

That scene in the cluster was very End of Evangelion.

Jaseper might pop the bubble.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ugh. The drill episode made me like Peridot.

Damn you Sugar

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I'm glad that the newest release was a two parter in one day.

I didn't have to wait until next week to catch it on Amazon. Hurray!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Steven finally
    learned how to control his plant minons, also has super empathy powers and dream possession?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Also, my favorite thing about Gem Drill
    The cannon being controlled with an N64 controller.

Steven: Something doesn't feel right about this.

Peridot: Then use the D-Pad.

Goatmon on

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    That second episode was so anime, it was beautiful.

First episode was pretty fun too, but that second episode. Steven for best human/gem once again.

I cannot wait to see what the cluster develops into after some extended time in bubbled group therapy.

• Options
    I was kinda wondering
    if all the bubbles were going to appear in the temple...then the temple would be uninhabitable because the cluster was so large it basically filled all the rooms.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I was kinda wondering
    if all the bubbles were going to appear in the temple...then the temple would be uninhabitable because the cluster was so large it basically filled all the rooms.
    the cluster is way, way bigger than the temple

it has basically replaced the core of the earth

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Yeah but i was under the impression that the temple was bigger on the inside then the outside.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I am waiting for
    Some huge homeworld threat to come from space and the cluster extracts itself and forms to help them fight it

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I feel like maybe
    we're not quite done with the cluster just yet, if Jasper and her newfound interest in fusion can get down there somehow she could probably make a mess of things.

If not then it's still a pretty nice wrap up for now, I think it only feels abrupt cos of the delay in airing.

• Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    I did not like the second episode.
    If the shards are intelligent enough to communicate I feel they would have started talking to each other on their own, without the need for Steven to point it out to them. If the shards are not smart enough to talk to each other, I don't think Steven could have said anything to them that would change their directive.

They gave up the idea of having form because... They can talk? They don't want to destroy the earth because... Steven said it was a bad idea?
    I don't know if this is the last we'll see of the cluster, as others have said, Jasper could influence them, or their might be later episodes where they teleport it out the center of the Earth, etc. But if it is, I found this conclusion unsatisfying at best.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    durax wrote: »
    If the shards are intelligent enough to communicate I feel they would have started talking to each other on their own, without the need for Steven to point it out to them. If the shards are not smart enough to talk to each other, I don't think Steven could have said anything to them that would change their directive.

They gave up the idea of having form because... They can talk? They don't want to destroy the earth because... Steven said it was a bad idea?
    I don't know if this is the last we'll see of the cluster, as others have said, Jasper could influence them, or their might be later episodes where they teleport it out the center of the Earth, etc. But if it is, I found this conclusion unsatisfying at best.
    each individual piece was looking for the rest of itself and steven showed it that the individual pieces could feel whole by joining with one another

• Options

each individual piece was looking for the rest of itself and steven showed it that the individual pieces could feel whole by joining with one another
    Understood. How is that different from them going on to form the Cluster? All of them joining together was the threat.

• Options

Understood. How is that different from them going on to form the Cluster? All of them joining together was the threat.
    Peridot kind of spells it out with the Gem Fragments. They're looking for their other half even when they're fused with another creature. It's billions of beings looking for their other half at the same time. In doing so they attack and rip and destroy everything. Now they are peace with not being with their other fragments but with being with each other.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Bear in mind that using cross-caste fusion to become a new person is basically unknown on Homeworld. As far as we know nobody had ever done it or even considered doing it until Garnet. So it's not that surprising that near-feral gem shards would not think to try and forge new communal identities as an alternative to reflexively trying to reclaim their original identities.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I don't think the gem shards had enough mind of their own to even conceive of the idea of joining together in the way that Steven shows them. They needed him to guide them. It wasn't a matter of them not wanting to destroy the Earth, it was a matter of Steven being able to communicate to them that what they were doing was not good, and that there was something else they could do that would be better.

Joining together was only part of the solution, though. It seems like you're missing that Steven bubbled the entire Cluster.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Speculation on the Cluster from the last episode;
    So if we continue with the theory that Rose was a diamond, and all diamond's have their entourages/armies, and Steve was able to communicate with the cluster when the others couldn't.

What if the cluster is actually made up of Rose's old subjects?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    So if we continue with the theory that Rose was a diamond, and all diamond's have their entourages/armies, and Steve was able to communicate with the cluster when the others couldn't.

I think it is. That's why the gems were shocked when Steven said they were going to destroy the world. They fought for the world as the Crystal Gems.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »

I think it is. That's why the gems were shocked when Steven said they were going to destroy the world. They fought for the world as the Crystal Gems.

So...
    THEY'RE the Crystal Gems?

No I don't.
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    What we really are...

• Options
    Is the cluster a bunch of gem shards in a pile, or gem shards forced into a fusion?

I thought they were a forced fusion. Pieces of individuals, searching for their halves all while being tied to neighbors who are trying to do the same thing. So collectively they decide to take form presumptively to look for those other pieces. Sort of like children from an orphanage banding together to go look for their parents. Yet, Steven comes down and tells them, "you don't need parents, you can all just look after each other" and all them immediately agree. So now they are at peace, but still are taking physical form, against their will? So the shards bubble each other? Is this the interpretation you guys like?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    When's the next ep?

Next Thursday?

• Options
    Yes, there's a special event now.

In the form of weekly episodes.

Because a standard update schedule is a special exception with Steven Universe.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Waitin' on that iTunes update, doot doot doo doo

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Is the cluster a bunch of gem shards in a pile, or gem shards forced into a fusion?

I thought they were a forced fusion. Pieces of individuals, searching for their halves all while being tied to neighbors who are trying to do the same thing. So collectively they decide to take form presumptively to look for those other pieces. Sort of like children from an orphanage banding together to go look for their parents. Yet, Steven comes down and tells them, "you don't need parents, you can all just look after each other" and all them immediately agree. So now they are at peace, but still are taking physical form, against their will? So the shards bubble each other? Is this the interpretation you guys like?
    Think of it this way Gem shards are laptops constantly looking for a network connection but unable to find one and they can't change their settings
    So it's a bunch of gem shards being forced into a fusion because shards seek out other shards and gems . The Shards have sort of formed a group intelligence thanks to Steven but before that they were a collection of body parts mindlessly looking to find their core.

Steven made the Geth

• Options
    No one tell Dichotomy.

• Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    hahahahahahah, thank you for that.

• Options
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Oh boy, just watched the new two-parter:
    I really hope that's not the end of the Cluster; I'm fine with it being removed as a threat, but it also introduces some possibilities! First, it'd be interesting to explore how such a neural network looks from the inside in one episode, like some virtual gem-town/world? Second, this is a great opportunity to deal with the already bubbled gem shards; now they won't have to be isolated in a coma but could instead be introduced to the cluster. Third, it'd be interesting if an episode dealt with differing opinions in the cluster; Maybe some shards do want to leave or become whole again?

There's a bunch of possiblities here, and I hope some of them do end up getting realized!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I really hope that's not the end of the Cluster; I'm fine with it being removed as a threat, but it also introduces some possibilities! First, it'd be interesting to explore how such a neural network looks from the inside in one episode, like some virtual gem-town/world? Second, this is a great opportunity to deal with the already bubbled gem shards; now they won't have to be isolated in a coma but could instead be introduced to the cluster. Third, it'd be interesting if an episode dealt with differing opinions in the cluster; Maybe some shards do want to leave or become whole again?

There's a bunch of possiblities here, and I hope some of them do end up getting realized!

Given the history of this show, nothing is done without rhyme or reason, so I think its a matter of when and not if

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

I'm gonna nerd it up for a bit
    I hate to keep going to the geth but the comparisons seem apt.
    So the cluster's individual parts aren't able to do much on their own but Steven has allowed them to interconnect and function as a whole as seen with the bubble. It's still rudimentary but it's very likely we'll see the cluster act as a unified hive mind next time it appears. It might even send emissaries like Legion to ask for help.

This discussion has been closed.